• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U 25% of my Smash matches...

Peachach

Smash Cadet
I have been playing since Melee and I do very well against say players who can compete in tournaments. What I keep seeing, in general,even with very good players, is something like this snippet below from Batman (1989).

They run around showing off their l33t moves, or dash dancing rather mindlessly... and boom, I land a well-timed hit. Sometimes they're obviously quite skilled, but from my perspective perhaps 20% of the damage I deal to them is because they are too busy performing instead of fighting.

Seriously... it's about the fight. If you want to show off, join the circus.

LastTheories

Smash Rookie
In general a majority of players once they learn new tech wanna show it off because it shows skill. The issue is that tech skill does not cause real skill, people need to realize that.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I main Luigi so my movement always looks trippy. And my shorthop aerials all auto cancel. He could be much higher tier with good air mobility and a real dash attack. The jank disprespect is always fun though. I practice Melee with a lot of guys coming from smash 4, and tech skill doesn't make a large difference. I can only consistently beat them because I land my techs and wavedash spacing.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
One argument I've heard before is they do certain things (especially when waiting for an opponent to respawn) to keep their reflexes sharp and their minds running. They sorta want to keep the Smash juices flowing to put it simply. Other times yes, a lot of people purely just want to show off no matter what setting they're in. They want to show they're this big bad player and that they can do all sorts of these neat things because it allows others to see how good they are. But... Then they just muck up horribly.

A lot of people are just more concerned on wanting to show how good they are and how hard they can dominate the opponent rather than, I dunno, the match itself because that's typically what games like Smash boil down to these days. It's pretty saddening.

The only other thing I can think of to why people do these things could be to confuse you mid-match or to get into your head.

Some people sometimes view that showy behavior as a type of disrespect somehow, so it throws them off their game.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I can actually understand that line of reasoning. If you want to land approaching back airs every time, you have to do them constantly of forget the timing.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I young link counter against puff mains it's really easy to just pull a bomb when they just give up stage control to dashdance.

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
Are these serious matches with anything on the line? Because to me it sounds like your ops are practicing in real game situations.
I do agree with the DDing though, I see quite a bit of very haphazard dash dancing that is useless. Not being used to space or play mind tricks... just for aesthetics.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
I've seen it in serious matches as well... where indeed it's hardly mind tricks..it's just lethal..and properly punished too sometimes. :D

Top Bottom