• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

20XX Tournament Edition - Official Thread

NNID
dansalvato
Been testing replay capacity just for some reference and understanding as an end user.

The following tests were conducted with 8 minutes on the clock.

Heavy mashing with 2 Jiggly puffs holding down and mashing about 3-4 buttons each at around 2-3 times a second the replay ended with 2:43 left.

With no buttons being mashed but both the C-Stick and Control Stick being held down (used controller reset to have the same tilt the whole time) on both controllers, it ended with about 4:02 left.

Control stick and C-stick stuff registers a ton more input than buttons. High APM stuff like Fox and Falco shine shenanigans won't actually affect the replay size/length much. DI/SDI with both sticks as well as dashing and Crouch Cancel heavy playstyles will see increased replay sizes and shorter recording times.
Thank you very much for this analysis.
This is accurate. It's basically because stick values are floating-point values which are 32 bits each, whereas button presses are only 1 bit each. The compression algorithm looks for 16-bit sets of zeroes, so stick values contribute much more to filling up those zeroes than buttons.

In the future, I can probably improve the compression by converting the stick integer values back to float instead of storing the floats in the replay file. However, this currently isn't a focus of mine, and I don't think file space will be too big of an issue.

Prince Twilow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Syborg5
I just downloaded 20XX TE and followed the instructions for moving it to my memory card perfectly. Yet for some reason when I load melee it treats it like a blank file and there's nothing unlocked. If someone could help me out with this that would be great.

Acryte

Smash Ace
You have to go to the Name Entry screen, then it will move back to the start screen and will say 20XXTE at the top along with the version number. Pressing start should make a special sound to let you know it was successful. Enjoy,

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
My replays always desynch after about 5 seconds. Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?

Edit: Never mind, I realized that the problem is i'm playing against CPUs. Will there be support for replays of matches with CPUs in the future?

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I have a question about 20xx, I have downloaded the save file and put it into my sd card with a sd card memory card adapter for my gamecube. will it work that way? or does it HAVE to be homebrewed?

Acryte

Smash Ace
The best part about 20XXTE (other than replays) is that it doesn't require homebrew. I guess you'll have to try it out and tell us. I would expect that it works provided the adapter doesn't normally require any homebrew/driver installations to function.

Last edited:

Vegerot

Smash Apprentice
You said that 20xx TE is open source, but I can't find the codes anywhere. Could you post a link to the source code please? Also, will the source code allow me to input my own codes into the game? Since I'm just using this to train on my GameCube, I'd like to enter a random tech/DI code and a flash red on unsuccessful L-cancel code.

NNID
dansalvato
You said that 20xx TE is open source, but I can't find the codes anywhere. Could you post a link to the source code please? Also, will the source code allow me to input my own codes into the game? Since I'm just using this to train on my GameCube, I'd like to enter a random tech/DI code and a flash red on unsuccessful L-cancel code.
Flash red on unsuccessful L-cancel is already included. As for the source, I will be releasing it after I clean up my internal documentation into something presentable enough to be published as some kind of source. I plan to do this within a month or so.

Vegerot

Smash Apprentice
Flash red on unsuccessful L-cancel is already included. As for the source, I will be releasing it after I clean up my internal documentation into something presentable enough to be published as some kind of source. I plan to do this within a month or so.
Would the source allow me to add my own codes? I'd like to add random DI (since I'm not bringing my setup to tournaments).

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I see that Stage and character hacks work with 20xxTE, but would CSS hacks hurt anything? I'm asking this because a lot of coding for the 20XX hack pack is stored in the CSS file.

yungupsmash

Smash Rookie
Downloaded TE using SD card and tried starting it on gamecube. The screen freezes when i go to name entry. Does anyone know whats wrong????

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Downloaded TE using SD card and tried starting it on gamecube. The screen freezes when i go to name entry. Does anyone know whats wrong????
You need to go to the name entry through the main menu, not in the Character Select Screen.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
I have been going through the main menu with no success
This is what i select before it freezes:
It's the right place, so maybe it's your memory card the problem. Try backup up your data and formatting your memory card. Also, just out of curiosity, what Melee version do you have?

Last edited:

yungupsmash

Smash Rookie
It's the right place, so maybe it's your memory card the problem. Try backup up your data and formatting your memory card. Also, just out of curiosity, what Melee version do you have?
I have ntsc 1.02
Probably a stupid question but how do you format the memory card? I've tried looking it up and i cant find a straight forward answer. My memory card isnt corrupted but it can be weird at times (sometimes i have to take it out and stick it back in for it to be recognized). thanks for your help btw

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
I have ntsc 1.02
Probably a stupid question but how do you format the memory card? I've tried looking it up and i cant find a straight forward answer. My memory card isnt corrupted but it can be weird at times (sometimes i have to take it out and stick it back in for it to be recognized). thanks for your help btw
if you used GCMM from the Wii to put the save on the memory card, you can use that software to format the memory card.

yungupsmash

Smash Rookie
if you used GCMM from the Wii to put the save on the memory card, you can use that software to format the memory card.
So i formatted the memory card, still didn't work on gc. I tried it on wii and 20xxte successfully loads, but during the introductory dialogs it says my mem card is corrupted and it can't save. TE works normally after that (on wii) but i can't save settings. After it worked on wii i tried it again on gc and it still freezes, so i think i just need to buy a new memory card.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
So i formatted the memory card, still didn't work on gc. I tried it on wii and 20xxte successfully loads, but during the introductory dialogs it says my mem card is corrupted and it can't save. TE works normally after that (on wii) but i can't save settings. After it worked on wii i tried it again on gc and it still freezes, so i think i just need to buy a new memory card.
Are you booting on the Wii with an ISO and on GC with the actual disc?

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I just downloaded 20XX TE and followed the instructions for moving it to my memory card perfectly. Yet for some reason when I load melee it treats it like a blank file and there's nothing unlocked. If someone could help me out with this that would be great.
You're great at following simple directions.

Rococo

Smash Rookie
I've been experimenting with on-the-fly editing of desynced replays in Dolphin (for recording purposes), and could use some input. Many desyncs are caused by RNG issues, it seems. As such, I've been focusing on Pokemon stadium transformations - getting the right transformation at the right time. While I know how to set the correct transformation once the stage decides to transform, I haven't been able to figure out how to set the time for a transformation. Does anyone have any codes for forcing an immediate transformation?

Interestingly, when I play through a replay on Stadium, the RNG seed at 0x804d5f90 is synced to the actual play-through all the way up until the first transformation. However, even though the values are synced, the transformation happens at a different time (and, as such, may end up being a different transformation). This suggests that there is some other value somewhere which designates when to do the transformation, which is not dependent on 0x804d5f90. Does Dan or anyone else have any suggestions or insights on this?

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
So, I took the time to dissect your exploit a little, Dan. Not going to post all of my notes, but needless to say I'm pretty amazed by your use of the zeroing function next to memcpy. Hadn't even realized that was a thing.

Also, the .RAW file on the 20XX site/your Bitbucket suffer from the errors with Dolphin that was discussed before in your prepatched DOL thread. Not sure what's going on there since I wasn't cross-comparing my notes for that, but the GCI does work fine with Dolphin.

Last edited:

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
So I've got a trouble shooting problem, and I sent an ask at the ask.fm, but I'm pretty sure it's unsolvable anyway.

I got my pre-order memory card in the mail the other day. I used it the first time, everything went smooth, no issues. Go to use it the second time, and the memory card is apparently corrupted. Neither my wii nor my gamecube will work with it, saying "the object inserted in slot A cannot be used"

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
^ Sounds like you turned off the Gamecube at the wrong time. When did you turn it off, like during a save?

RushSSBM

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one constantly experiencing replay desyncs? Vs cpu or human, stage doesn't matter, replays always desync pretty early on. I am using the latest version (1e). Have replays all been shipped out by now? I wonder how people feel about replays not working?

sudoer

Smash Rookie
I have used 20XXTE to save some matches in .gci format. How do I convert them to a format readable by other programs? I want to get the full input data for each frame to be processed in, say, Python. I'm imagining a human readable format so we can tell that, say, on frame 20 player 1 was inputting so and so.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
I have used 20XXTE to save some matches in .gci format. How do I convert them to a format readable by other programs? I want to get the full input data for each frame to be processed in, say, Python. I'm imagining a human readable format so we can tell that, say, on frame 20 player 1 was inputting so and so.
You'd have to load the file into Dolphin and ReadProcessMemory from the loaded memory card region in a Melee game after starting the replay that swaps that block into memory, since the memory card's .gci isn't 1:1 with in-memory due to being compressed until loaded by the game.

Last edited:

sudoer

Smash Rookie
You'd have to load the file into Dolphin and ReadProcessMemory from the loaded memory card region in a Melee game after starting the replay that swaps that block into memory, since the memory card's .gci isn't 1:1 with in-memory due to being compressed until loaded by the game.
I'm new to Melee hacking and programming on Windows. I know how to program but only at a high level (I don't mess around with low-level stuff like assembly). Could you point me to things to read to be able to do this? Also, I feel like someone must have already done something like this, right?

sudoer

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know the cause for replays desyncing, even when fast-forward/pause/etc is not used? Is it not as simple as saving the RNG seed?

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
I'm new to Melee hacking and programming on Windows. I know how to program but only at a high level (I don't mess around with low-level stuff like assembly). Could you point me to things to read to be able to do this? Also, I feel like someone must have already done something like this, right?
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms680553(v=vs.85).aspx

http://www.mpgh.net/forum/showthread.php?t=261563

I have code written for this, but it's not publicly posted and is a DLL.

Top Bottom