• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

20XX Puff Practice

squible2

Smash Cadet
How are people using the 20XX pack to practice puff? Here are a few things I've found it useful for.

If you turn on colors on in the debug menu, characters will flash green when they are in a neutral state. This helps with practicing jab resets and tech chases. If you see the green, it means that you went to slow, and if the move misses, you went to fast.

Although this isn't too puff specific, practicing power shields with the falco laser bot is pretty useful.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Platform tech chasing > rest/fsmash
usmash oos vs shine/aerial pressure (Also found out that usmash actually leads to a guaranteed rest at the right % vs spacies)

Most of all tho I've been practicing uair sdi vs Fox and I'm getting consistent to the point where I surprise both myself and my opponents.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Most of all tho I've been practicing uair sdi vs Fox and I'm getting consistent to the point where I surprise both myself and my opponents.
How exactly do you sdi it?
Straight up or diagonally up?
And is the c stick really needed?

Last edited:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
How exactly do you sdi it?
Straight up or diagonally up?
And is the c stick really needed?
It depends on how to Fox is hitting you, honestly.

practicing versus the 20xx bot will only get you so far vs a smart fox player. You have to truly understand the hitbox and the motion of both your DI and the Fox player in order to be optimal. Also, I'm sure most people practice without any trajectory DI on the throws, which means the fox doesn't have to approach from an angle, etc etc.

Point being, you the direction is varied and what is truly optimal can really be anywhere ±90° from vertically upward.

Holding the c-stick appropriately is helpful to guarantee you get ASDI in case you SDi late or let go of the analog stick early.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I would turn on the L cancel and the hit stun colors. I turn on the hit stun cause I can know when I can combo and Bair or Fair to carry them off of the stage and then taunt after words :D.

squible2

Smash Cadet
With the 20xx hack pack, I discovered that if you shield a marth forward smash while on a platform, you can shield drop rest.

Another thing I've found it useful is the spam move feature. You can set the cpu to spam one move over and over. This can be used to practice tricky rest oos situations, such as sheik down smash or Jiggs up smash. The spam move feature can also be used to make a peach spam turnips. Practice catching / avoiding them.

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
I was ironically trying to do the above earlier today, but I just kept side stepping instead, or not getting it out before the shield.

Any suggestions?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
You mean shielddrop rest an fsmash? Get better at shielddropping, that one is easy. Kadano counted ~13 frames of leniency even vs tippered fsmash.

Top Bottom