• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2021 2/17 Nintendo Direct (with Pyra in Smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Another Direct happened. Are these actually helping Nintendo sales?

I will go over everything of interest before the new character. Every time a new character is revealed, rather than thinking "I can't wait to play as this character", I always think "I can't wait to see what this character is like to fight against in online matches and with people who come over and buy all the DLC" so my analysis is more about how they fit in the game. Scroll to the bottom of this post to see.

First off, the new Mario Golf game. It looked good and like a return to form... up until the mode where you hit the ball and immediately run to it. So they're expecting the elderly relatives who just want a golf game to suddenly develop in-game running and collecting skills? I hope it's not a required activity in the story mode. Speaking of the Story Mode, I hope it's at least better than World Tour's, which was much smaller than the GBC game's world. At least with this game, I at least get the sense that the developers like golf a lot more than the developers of Mario Tennis Aces like Tennis. It looks much more true to the mechanics of golf, unlike Aces, which had slowing down time and breaking rackets.

Next is Skyward Sword. I did not like the original, but I understand that Skyward Sword is two generations old, so people are expecting a remaster of it to put in a more current place. Still though, I think people were expecting a little more, something akin to 3D All-Stars at least. Multiple games would justify the value a bit more than a bare-bones re-release. Even the graphics don't look that updated (despite the game having "HD" added to the title). I guess Mario games are easier to update and make then Zelda games though. Another thing is, playing Mario Galaxy on Switch with the Joy-Cons was never as good as using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. The Joy-Cons are flatter (which hurts your hands) and they have a habit of disconnecting. And not being as accurate as the Wii Remote. Skyward Sword Wii is getting expensive, so Skyward Sword HD will replenish the supply and nothing more.

Next is whatever the Splatoon announcement was. How about a port of Splatoon 1 (which I personally think is superior to 2 for a number of reasons)? I don't know what this is. Is it an expansion DLC for Splatoon 2 with new levels?

Next is Miitopia. I didn't get the original on 3DS. Putting it on Switch is good for introducing it to a new audience. Miitopia is an RPG though, which the Switch is flooded with. It's a somewhat unique RPG compared to most other Switch games, but I've had enough.

Next is the Capcom Arcade Stadium. This would be the highlight for me. And the fact that you don't have to get it all at once is good.

The other things I didn't mention, I don't care about enough.

Now we're going to see what I think of Pyra!

I think Pyra isn't a bad addition at all. Pretty lame to have another sword hero, but it's another Nintendo character at least. Doesn't look way too overpowered. I get the sense that this isn't another "developer choice" or "investor choice" but a "fan choice". A Japanese fan choice, but a fan choice nonetheless. I don't like the "multiple characters in one" gimmick all that much. Overall, not a bad character that makes me feel like the game is ruined. Enjoy your Pyra.

The post is over.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I called Pyra/Mythra being a solo fighter but everybody said that it was impossible if Rex wasn't a fighter, too.

I love it when I'm right.

Last edited:

Resolve_beta

Smash Rookie
IF ANYONE says PYRA is anything CLOSE to worth my money imma die like wtf gimme walwigi. 😥 . Also why another sword character why there is like zero projectile characters in this game like lmao kekw. Dont get me wrong doe she kinda looking fine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom