• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2016 Olympic Games

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
I might be the only person on here interested in the Olympics, but I wanted to start a thread now that there's only 18 days until the start of competition in Brazil (preliminary football matches starting August 3, then the actual Opening Ceremony on August 5.)
I'll be honest, I'm torn on these particular Games. With Zika devastating Brazil, terribly polluted waters at the sailing, triathlon and marathon swimming venues, horrific crime rate in Rio itself, collapsing economy and unstable government, I was hoping that the Games would be moved because Brazil has much more important issues to deal with than hosting gymnasts and rugby players (though why they wouldn't clean up those waters at the venues is still a complete mystery, they had 7 years after all.) But it's Games On, and we just have to hope for the best.
As for the competition, I expect the US to win the medal count once more, probably with at least 95 medals, with China, Great Britain, Germany and Russia rounding out the top 5. And as for the host nation Brazil, needless to say their medal count will be much closer to Greece's 16 medals at Athens 2004 than to China's 100 at Beijing 2008, or even Great Britain's 65 medals four years ago in London. They should do very well in volleyball, but other than that, they're likely going to struggle, even with home crowd advantage. As for their football teams, their women's team is much more likely to medal than the men's team.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Mate.
It's no surprise at all we got to this point.
(though why they wouldn't clean up those waters at the venues is still a complete mystery, they had 7 years after all.)
If you're gonna start researching news about Brazil, sadly, get used to seeing a lot of stuff like this.
In my opinion, this place barely had infrastructure to hold the World Cup 2 years ago, I don't even know how Brazil is frankly even gonna hold the Olympics seeing how way behind the schedule some things are.

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
Well, because of all that's gone on, I'm certainly hoping not only that the Games go well, but also for the home team to get on a roll. Certainly Brazil could use a pick me up right now, and if their Olympians can pile up some medals, that will certainly be a big time boost. It won't change anything politically or economically certainly, but a record medal haul for the hosts would bring some much needed joy to such a great country. If I upset anyone with my thoughts, I apologize, because I try to do my absolute best not to upset anybody.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
A load of well known golfers such as Rory McIlroy pulled out of contention of competing at the olympics if that is due to the fears of the Zika virus.

Anyways, I do expect USA to top the medal tally along with China in second. I do expect a decent amount of medals won for Great Britain and at least a medal for Hong Kong, China.

Top Bottom