• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

20 Man Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmm... IF we take the 14 confirmed characters and add Marth, G&W, Meta Knight and Wario from the whiteboard I think we got all 20.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Here it is. Bar Marth, Wario, MK and G&W only Zamus remains unconfirmed. Plus there's a Mr. Saturn there whatever that means.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmm... Then the Mr. Saturn could be Ness or Lucas. How could be no. 20?

Hong

The Strongest
Current Roster +
Marth
Captain Falcon
Mewtwo
King Dedede
Ninten (Ness + Lucas)
Palutena (hybridize Peach and Zelda out of desperation)

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
All of the whiteboard (minus Zamus) plus savior of the world Captain Falcon!:falcon: and Little Prodigy Ness!:ness2:

Mario:mario2:
Luigi:luigi2:
Olimar:olimar:
Donkey Kong:dk2:
Samus:samus2:
Link:link2:
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Kirby:kirby2:
Pikachu:pikachu2:
Bowser:bowser2:
Pit:pit:
Fox:fox:
Ness:ness2:
Captain Falcon:falcon:
Marth:marth:
Wario:wario:
Mr. Game & Watch:gw:
Meta Knight:metaknight:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Sakurai, never one to shy away from the dark side of game development in his column, wrote this week about the occasional futility involved with trying to keep everyone satisfied when making a franchise game. "Every time, you know, I try to the point where I think I can't go on any longer," he said. "For example, I think pretty much the limit when it comes to creating characters for a Smash Bros. is about 20, counting those from older games. We remake them completely each time, after all, and the teams and personnel and specs are all different. But we all go beyond what the work calls for because we want to do our best to retain fans of each character

That's what it saids so its just an opion from sakurai about the 20 roster count is what he wants not a fact and its said they go beyond 20

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
ill play the game
Mario
luigi
bowser
donkeykong
wii fit trainer
megaman
sonic
fox
samus
villager
Kirby
captain falcon
jigglypuff
ness
link
R.O.B
Mr game and watch
mewtwo
Pit
Olimar

Groose

Smash Champion
Better question: how many of you would buy the game if it only included twenty characters?

I would buy the 3DS version on launch... but I would pass on the Wii U version. I'm counting on this game to sell the Wii U to me, and a twenty character roster just wouldn't be able to do the trick.

D

Deleted member

Better question: how many of you would buy the game if it only included twenty characters?

I would buy the 3DS version on launch... but I would pass on the Wii U version. I'm counting on this game to sell the Wii U to me, and a twenty character roster just wouldn't be able to do the trick.
I would still buy the games, but I would be incredibly underwhelmed by such a small roster.
EDIT: Scratch that. The 3DS version would be at least decent, but having such a small roster for the Wii U version is awful.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

A 3ds version with 20 I'd get but feel like it didn't live up to what it could really do, but a neat little novelty portable smash game why not.

A WiiU version. no just no nintendo is slaking off far too much lately for me to accept that, It would probably be the last straw for this die hard nintendo fanboy, I would stop buying nintendo products. Harsh but growing up with nintendo constantly pushing the envelope and knocking games out of the water made me a "for life nintendo buyer" and I thought that could never change but I haven't been impressed with anything in a while and giving me such an underwhelming smash bros would be the end of it.

Luckily Sakurai was not saying we'd get 20 characters just that working on 20 characters = an acceptable fighting game roster but they work to go above and beyond that, in all honesty 40 i think is the minimum that's acceptable this time around. I'm expecting 43-45 and hoping for 50 but I could live with 40 if they make the right decisions with cuts and newcomers but anything under that is a slap in the face to the fans.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Quick Question, in a 20 Roster how would you prefer, Yoshi of Captain Falcon?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think I'm one of the few people that would say Yoshi over Falcon. Not that I'd want either to get cut, seeing as Yoshi is my main and Falcon is an icon thanks to "FALCOOOON PAUNCH".

Good question!

A 20 man roster would be really disappointing. One of the things I personally want in my rosters are they should usually expand each game, if even by a little. Right now there's probably enough wanted Nintendo newcomers to last until Smash 6 at least.

I also can't see anyone taking the inclusion of Wii Fit Trainer very well if it was narrowed down to 20. I can name ten worthy Mario characters off the top of my head before even getting into other series...;;

Smash Bros. basically sells Nintendo consoles to me. I'm not sure I'd bother buying a Wii U for a measly twenty reps; we've been spoilt by Brawl and I can't see many people wanting to condense the roster. Especially since a lot of people hate cuts.

That said I'll give this a go some point soon myself. It looks challenging and likely to spark interesting discussion.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If we're making it based on what we want, think is reasonable....

14 Confirmed smashers +

Isaac
Shulk
Marth
Little Mac
Peach
Zelda

It's a bit of a miserable roster though.

I don't think I would be in any hurry to buy a smash bros with that roster.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The 14 we have now plus:

- Peach
- Zelda
- Mewtwo
- Marth
- Diddy Kong
- Jigglypuff

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just a minute... 20 was the amount that PlaystationAllStars had before DLC.

Following the same parameters of 16 starters (Blue) + 4 Third Parties (Green) and 3 DLC (red) + Third Party (Yellow) here's a roster.

That's one character per franchise with the exception of Mario and Pokemon, just like Smash 64.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
20 Character roster? It doesn't sound like Sakurai is trying to limit the roster size, but he is probably seriously considering a SSB4 Demo.

I don't need a demo, but having one would be nice and 20 sounds like a good amount.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Link