• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2 quick questions. I wanna use Fox but...

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Been considering Fox for a while to be in my Melee Collection of characters. But there's one new rumor that worries me.

Is it true that using Fox legit gives you carpal tunnel syndrome? Also, I usually use the tap jump. Is it good to use that to wavedash or waveshine? Sorry if I sound casual. The comp scene and the way I play games doesn't help either.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Using Fox may have negative effects on your hand, yes, but most people are fine. Learn to jump with x and/or y, tap jump is horrible. P.S. Falco is better :p

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Well, my thumbs are weird and my other fingers make me look like I have some kinda strange condition. Probably because I'm bound to game systems all the time. I'll probably consider Falco since he's a bit slower and most likely easier. He's a more power centric Fox, right?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Fox is a very technically demanding character, and using him will cause hand problems faster than less technically demanding characters. Using Fox doesn't necessarily give you hand problems. Do stretches and take breaks.

Don't use tap jump. While you can use it, it makes controlling your jump arcs and performing many techniques unnecessarily difficult; arguably (I'd certainly say so) more so for Fox than any other character.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I can see how Fox would be technically demanding. A major change from Bowser, eh?

I'll have to majorly adjust my entire playstyles for this...and maybe change my other game styles too to suit myself. I usually win a lot of games due to bringing myself up with the tap jump. Actually, this'll solve my control stick issue too on my GCN controller. I'll look into it all.

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
I would definitely recommend using Y or X, if you're going to main Fox.

Last edited:

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
Filthy Falco mains coming to our boards. Fox will indeed hurt your hands even after just an hour of practice, however you should just do hand stretches (which you should be doing before playing Melee anyways imo) and be fine. X/Y is much better to use, but you can use tap jump if you are comfortable with it. I mean you for sure won't get carpal tunnel if you take care of your hands.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
this **** ruins my wrist but its 100% worth it to drill quintuple shine up-smash someone on pokemon stadium

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I'll consider both, and maybe main Falco (thus turning black slowly) and pocketing Fox by technicality.

SSB Pride

Smash Rookie
Yes, fox can f-up your hands a bit, I'd say try to play fox first for a bit and see if your hands are alright, if not switch.
If you are gonna play fox use x or y to jump, waveshining is damn near impossible to be consistent with tap jump.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
You'll only get stuff like carpal tunnel if you try to look all flashy with multishines like hax. Most top Fox mains (Armada, Leffen etc) play him in a pretty simple manner ( as simple as fox can be at high level), it's just the minority of people who think multishining is important for fox, when it isn't.

XVI

Smash Rookie
just spend time learning to press y (x sucks) to jump and you'll be fine. yeah, it's annoying but it's worth learning if you really plan on playing melee.

and don't worry about your hands. if they start to hurt just stop for a bit. it's common sense tbh. fox is too dope to worry about hands.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
If you're worried about your hands, don't play a Starfox character. They both seem extremely fast.

Meez

The Fraudulent Fox
Fox won't hurt your hands if you stretch and take breaks frequently.

The only time I felt like any sort of pain was after like 9 hours of playing Fox with out stopping.

If you're considering Falco instead of Fox, just remember that even though he has easy money neutral at a low level, if you're not careful you'll just die at 0 as Falco.

Top Bottom