• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2/24 NSU Davie/Ft. Lauderdale, FL Tournament

Honors

Smash Journeyman
The Director of Student Affairs will be reviewing the event and seeing if everything is in order in terms of knowing who is coming (whether they exist, demographics, etc) and seeing if all papers are in order.

Plus in doing so, it will show them that we're organized enough.

Also, you will not get info from NSU, the e-mail is for me so that I could notify you the fastest way possible if the Director needs something in addition to what is being asked.

If you feel that you're responsible enough to view the update on Monday, then you don't have to provide your e-mail, can't force you anyways. However, it will not be my fault if for any reason your denied from the tournament just because you failed to view any recent updates in a timely manner.

That's why I'm telling everyone to to view this on monday afternoon/night for any update after my meeting with the Director and provide me the e-mail so I could notify everyone the fastest way possible.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Got it Foom. If you want to be to person to notify the rest of your clan you could provide me their info and any update I receive will go to you.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
I don't see any reason for you to be angry XIF. I've already looked into it way ahead of time and nothing could be done . Look into page 2. Besides the gift card of your choice will be mailed to you and will be of equal value to the cash prize received.

Let me know if your coming. And if you are, do your best to keep your cool.

To everyone:

Don't forget about the the last update I made and whether your bringing a cube and smash. I'm going to see if I could get more tvs from media services.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
i wasnt losing my cool honors dont get me wrong sorry if i sounded like it, its just that gift cards are... well... ****ty *** >_>;;;

but if there's no way around it could you do a visa simon giving card? that thing works anywhere =)

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
Sure, I'll look into it.

Is this link correct about the gift card?
http://www.simon.com/giftcard/how_it_works.aspx

As far as I know, I see no problem with, but I'll speak the financial advisor to be sure, since she is in charge of doing the purchases and mailing for the University and clubs & organization.
I was actually just about to suggest that. Yea, those things are quite nifty considering they are accepted everywhere Visa cards are...so...just about everywhere.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Important Update!!! 2/19/07

To Everyone:

Unfortunately, the Director says that no minor could win a prize if they get top three. She also says that if doing the tournament, it has to be an admission fee, not tournament fee. And she says that a parental consent form is needed.

So, I held an E-board meeting with the members and told them the situation. They said that it would be too much of a hassle and I said otherwise, so we held a vote and it was 5-1. This means that they voted that no minors (below 18 years of age) are allow to even enter the event at all.

Sorry, I did what I could do. If you decide to come its open to all 18 and above. If you want you could choose a different venue could be used in replacement to this tournament (looking at you Linguini) so that all could come on that day instead of not being able to enter.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
Honors, can you please tell the board to go **** themselves. banning minors is a load of bull****. if they won't let us in then why did they want my information?

Dial-Up

Smash Journeyman
lol. i want to put a mad face but Foom wont let me. so ill type it...:mad: ok well. this is really dissapointing honors. Foom wont stop laughing at my typo's. lol. ok bak to serious mood. well is there anything u can do. ive been looking forward to this for a couple weeks. me and foom both. and im sure alot of these other smashers were too. and im sure alot of these professionals going are minors to. so even if u still hold this tournament, theres only gona be like 2 1/2 ppl there. lol. so plz do anything in ur power to let us go. im sure having our parents sign forms wulda been fine. what happend to that plan?

Honors

Smash Journeyman
The problem isn't the Director. It Executive Board of AVACS. The director's only restriction was that a minor cannot win prizes and that she says its okay as long as:

A. they are accompanied by a guardian of 18 years of age or older
or
B. a consent form is signed by their parents.

Mcsruff I'm not laughing at your face. I'm ticked off aswell. I was able to convince the Director with the information provided, but the E-board refuse cause they say its too much a hassle and responsibility, minors will fake signatures, they may bring fake guardians, ID checking is needed, parents ranting, running around screaming at the tournament blah, blah, blah.

In summary, they feel that losing half the participants (most likely more than they think, knowing smashboards) is a benefit than having a good turnout.

Foom: I tried that also, but they still refused. I tried every possible option I could think of and they stood their position.

The only thing I could think of for you guys to have free play is to go to the new flight deck and to have someone over 18 to say that they're the guardian just in case if anyone asks.

Linguini

Smash Master
Wow, the last tournament was fine but I guess stuff has changed this time around.
I mean i'd be willing to do anything in my power to help(such as moving the venue but id need your help honors). If you have a plan, please do tell.

The Executive board is full of *****es, you shoudl just make a tournament seperate from AVACS.

Foom

Smash Cadet
If that is the case, then I understand. I just found out that Linguini is hosting a tournament the next weekend, and maybe you guys can come and bring some friends and see if it can come out smoothly as it should. Also honors are you going to Jits smashfest on thursday at McFatter?I will also be attending there.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Linguini:

They don't mind if there is no money is involved.

I could do smashfest, do free tournaments, and game nights, even a raffle (cause they consider it equal opportunity instead of a game of chance) from the admission free for event (instead of calling it a tournament fee for the tournament and not the event) during the event to give people a prized.

Just that when there is that tournament fee, they believe that when a minor is given a prize that is put together as underaged gambling.

So yeah, I could continue smashfests and free tournaments myself if you guys don't mind for the future so there is at least a venue for you guys to get together practice and have fun.

Also, about the underaged gambling, it considered a 3rd degree misdeamer in Florida they told me. So if you guys know how Swen (Cloud Strife X) hosted at BCC, The guys at FIU on December, and MLG for Orlando, were able to host tournaments without going to jail, let me know.

The only thing I could think of is asking XIF'S and Green Mario's help. I couldn't be of any help at this moment considering that I'm the only one that knows how to run a tournament in the club.

Foom:

I doubt that I'll be able to go. A 50 min break isn't enough for dinner and smash

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
you know, since XIF has my memory card ever since LTEC ive had to unlock ganondorf to practice by going through Event Mode 1-29 everytime and i must say nothing feels more boner inducing than seeing the text that follows

"The great evil walks the Earth..."

omg i jacked off to that so much the past week

Regardless, i wouldnt mind it even turning into a smash fest just as long as we have a comfortable venue to play and everyone who wanted to come actually comes. Not often you get that kind of practice and from being at the same location as it was before when Honors did the previous time its very roomy and plenty of TVs.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
unfortunately, there is nothing I could do to change this.

The only way I could bring this up to the E-board if I get a response from the Director saying no consent form is needed, cause she is looking into it since minors are around campus anyways. And I doubt they have consent forms.

Just that the E-board didn't want to wait for the response. And yes I did told them that I could mass e-mail and put it on the website to inform everyone if the forms are needed, but they decided to make the decision at that moment.

I'm thinking of doing a smashfest next friday so that people to practice before Linguini's tournament and have fun. Just wondering how many of you are willing to come? This will be done by me.

All I know that considering this situation, there will be an excess of tvs. The only thing I could do is bring some of those tvs. to the new flight deck and you all could have a smashfest. All I know is that the new flight deck has one tv at this moment cause of the tournament, but it normally has 2.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
Linguini:

They don't mind if there is no money is involved.

I could do smashfest, do free tournaments, and game nights, even a raffle (cause they consider it equal opportunity instead of a game of chance) from the admission free for event (instead of calling it a tournament fee for the tournament and not the event) during the event to give people a prized.

Just that when there is that tournament fee, they believe that when a minor is given a prize that is put together as underaged gambling.

So yeah, I could continue smashfests and free tournaments myself if you guys don't mind for the future so there is at least a venue for you guys to get together practice and have fun.

Also, about the underaged gambling, it considered a 3rd degree misdeamer in Florida they told me. So if you guys know how Swen (Cloud Strife X) hosted at BCC, The guys at FIU on December, and MLG for Orlando, were able to host tournaments without going to jail, let me know.

The only thing I could think of is asking XIF'S and Green Mario's help. I couldn't be of any help at this moment considering that I'm the only one that knows how to run a tournament in the club.

Foom:

I doubt that I'll be able to go. A 50 min break isn't enough for dinner and smash
I think MLG gives the money to the parents of the minor, not to the minor. so giving the money to the parents (for them to give to their kid) is perfectly legal.

So, can us minors still come for free play?

Honors

Smash Journeyman
As far as the event goes, its not possible.

Important!!!

I'm still speaking with the director and she will provide me the consent forms. I'll place it on the website as soon as I receive it.

What I'm thinking of doing is providing you guys who can't enter the tournament another venue to play for free (or smashfest). I'll be able to provide 2 tvs. I just need an answer from Linguini, Foom, or anyone that will be willing to bring a cube and smash for a smashfest. Also if this happens, try not to do MM, cause it may cause problems. This will be at the New Flight Deck nearby. and same time if this happens.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
:Bump:

Sorry for the double post.

Important Possible Smashfest

I just received the waiver form. I just need to know who are still willing to come for a smashfest separate from the event and if you're willing to bring a cube + smash. And this will be open to everyone.

Let me know if you all are able to form a group for the event and I'll put the application on the website. This event is informal and is of no charge of any type of fee. I'll look into the venue to see if there is anything occuring in the new flight deck that day.

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
im still willing as long as the attendance of the formal tourny is still as decently strong. Practice with different people is never bad.

as for cubes and smash XIF has mine so if he goes im sure he can bring his own + mine.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
Im willing to go to the smashfest, but why don't you just let minors play in same flight deck and not compete? as long as we're not competing, there should be no problem.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
because of the rule they made that was made saying "admission fee" for event instead of "tournament fee" and that they don't allow minors in. That they will be doing an ID check.

Foom

Smash Cadet
If this can go through then I will definatley go, I can bring a cube with smash and memory card, and Ill bring some friends, one of them might be able to bring a TV.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
ID check? but if we were to have someone 18+ sign the form or drop us off (our parents), could we enter then? Again, no money involved besides door fee.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
I'll e-mail the E-board to see if they're willing to allow you guys in but not for the tournament, I'll let them know that you guys are willing to pay the fee to play smash outside the tournament.

But as it stands, they will not allow anyone under the age of 18 in the old flight deck where the event is held. I'm going to put up the consent form.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
sent you the consent form mcscruff

I sent the request to let you guys in for 5 dollars to enter the event, but not the tournament.
Remember, that this proposal could still be shot down. I'll keep you guys updated.

Riot:

Whose coming from your group?

Foom

Smash Cadet
Honors, thx for the consent form but I have a couple of questions. Do I print out the consent form, fill it out, then come to the old flight on saturday with $5? Im not sure as to what to do. And who will I give the forms to?

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Honors, thx for the consent form but I have a couple of questions. Do I print out the consent form, fill it out, then come to the old flight on saturday with $5? Im not sure as to what to do. And who will I give the forms to?
Yea, you print it out, fill it out, and bring $5 with the consent form. The form will be given to me, which will then go to the Director of Student Affairs

Last time was pretty fun; I'll be there. ^_^
Okay, I'll see you there. since, your under 18, you won't be able to enter the tournament, but there will be several tvs for a smashfest. You will have to sign a parental consent form and bring it on the day of the tournament and $5 also.

To everyone:

Its been approved! All people under age of 18 are able to come to the event, but not tournament for $5. So now there will be more people to compete with for smashfest while the tournament is going on. So all you need is $5 and a signed parental consent form. I'll be putting up the form on the club website soon.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Update!!! 2/22/07

I put the consent forms for those under age of 18 on the AVACS website.

I sent the request and it was voted in favor to allow minors to come in to the event, but not enter the tournament for $5. So it will be a smashfest for those of you that'll come. Let me know if the form prints out correctly from online. You could also receive it by e-mailing me and I'll e-mail you the form attached with the e-mail.

Top Bottom