• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe: A Proposal by VGFan95

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Initially, I was massively disappointed with how the game turned out. I wanted more of the classic style from the first two "Smash" games; competitive play (on their own merits), Star KOs/Screen KOs (toggle-able), et cetera. At that point, I had lost all respect not just for Nintendo, but Sakurai as well, from "Brawl" to the 2014 game to "Ultimate" (which is currently the latest entry). I felt very disrespected at the launch of this game. I was incredibly devastated, disappointed, frustrated, angry, sad, and depressed. December 7, 2018 was one of the worst moments of my gaming life. It was also one of the worst years of my life in general, as it actually affected my mental health in the process. This game needed to impress me at launch, and it didn't, not one bit. I was done with the series and the community at that point.

Now, a few years later, while I haven't fully recovered from the massive disappointment and probably never will, I've come to terms with the loss of my hopes and dreams with this game, as they're clearly just afterthoughts. And "Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl" further cemented that. I'm not as frustrated and angry as I was at launch, but I now understand there are limits to how much Nintendo and Sakurai can do with this game. I'm still not happy about it, but it is what it is. I just...have to move on and try to make the best of this game, and make it out as a serviceable game rather than a massive disappointment. I don't hate Nintendo or Sakurai. I just wish they took feedback from outside sources seriously. Maybe one day, a mod of this game will address these problems.

Calling it right now, there will never be a Deluxe Edition of this game. And if it does happen, it'll likely be digital only. One thing is for certain: I definitely won't support the next entry if it ever becomes a thing, as it's likely going to be a reboot. The series is completely done for me. It's definitely not how I wanted the series to end in terms of originality, but whatever.

I will say this: it's definitely at the bottom of my list; "Smash 64", "Melee", "Ultimate" in that order. The other games ("Brawl" and the 2014 game) aren't canon to me. I'm treating those games as beta tests.

Last edited:

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
The Evergreen Playlists and Playlists of the Week have been updated.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I will say this: it's definitely at the bottom of my list; "Smash 64", "Melee", "Ultimate" in that order. The other games ("Brawl" and the 2014 game) aren't canon to me. I'm treating those games as beta tests.
This part is sending me.

Yeah, Super Smash Bros has such rich worldbuilding with a tightly-woven narrative continuity that you need to consider the canonicity of the games, lest you end up with lore inconsistencies.

Absolutely brilliant.

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Initially, I was massively disappointed with how the game turned out. I wanted more of the classic style from the first two "Smash" games; competitive play (on their own merits), Star KOs/Screen KOs (toggle-able), et cetera. At that point, I had lost all respect not just for Nintendo, but Sakurai as well, from "Brawl" to the 2014 game to "Ultimate" (which is currently the latest entry). I felt very disrespected at the launch of this game. I was incredibly devastated, disappointed, frustrated, angry, sad, and depressed. December 7, 2018 was one of the worst moments of my gaming life. It was also one of the worst years of my life in general, as it actually affected my mental health in the process. This game needed to impress me at launch, and it didn't, not one bit. I was done with the series and the community at that point.

Now, a few years later, while I haven't fully recovered from the massive disappointment and probably never will, I've come to terms with the loss of my hopes and dreams with this game, as they're clearly just afterthoughts. And "Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl" further cemented that. I'm not as frustrated and angry as I was at launch, but I now understand there are limits to how much Nintendo and Sakurai can do with this game. I'm still not happy about it, but it is what it is. I just...have to move on and try to make the best of this game, and make it out as a serviceable game rather than a massive disappointment. I don't hate Nintendo or Sakurai. I just wish they took feedback from outside sources seriously. Maybe one day, a mod of this game will address these problems.

Calling it right now, there will never be a Deluxe Edition of this game. And if it does happen, it'll likely be digital only. One thing is for sure: I definitely won't support the next entry if it ever becomes a thing, as it's likely going to be a reboot. The series is completely done for me. It's definitely not how I wanted the series to end in terms of originality, but whatever.

I hope you learned a hard lesson from your initial reactions to this game. You really alienated people with how much you value certain features from previous games for your goals over others, like myself. I still haven't forgotten about it. Not to mention the fact that your mental health was affected in the process, which you honestly deserve to have that happen to you. But that's besides the point.

Coming to terms with something you love is always hard, but at least you're going in the right direction now. Let go of that passion from the past, and you can be free. That's my advice. I wish the best of luck to you and your future. And I want us to be friends again.

Now about your comment of a Deluxe Edition never happening, never say never. I see it being re-released with everything on the cartridge, and then some. If Pokemon Sword and Sword can be re-released with all DLC on the cartridge, so can this game. Have a little faith. I know it's easy to be pessimistic, but try to have some positivity.

It's unfortunate this game is at the bottom of your list for obvious reasons, but at least you're acknowledging it. For me, Ultimate is at the top of my list. Brawl is second on my list, and I know it's not the most popular game for competitive play and you consider it non-canon, but I really enjoy the Subspace Emissary. Melee is third on my list. Smash 4 is fourth on my list, and I know it's technically the worst game in the series and you consider it non-canon, but I really enjoy it despite its shortcomings. And Smash 64 is fifth on my list. So to recap on my list, it would be Ultimate, Brawl, Melee, Smash 4, Smash 64 in that order.

Last edited:

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
I do think Ultimate is their best effort yet. Recently played through all the other games in the franchise.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
One tiny thing that I would add to the list, would be to change the CSS function where you have to select your character again after every fight. I'm not sure why they made it that way. There's no way it was an oversight of any kind. Most people are gonna be playing characters multiple times rather than choosing a new character every fight so I don't see the reasoning.

The other thing that is a must would be to add the hazard switch button to the stage selection page rather than the rules page.

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
Any thoughts on having to unlock characters? Most fighting games come with all characters unlocked, although they don't have the size of roster Ultimate has. The unlocks prevent a new player from being overwhelmed on first load of the characters select screen, but it is a grind to unlock all the characters in Ultimate. Everyone already knows which characters are in the game, so there really isn't any mystery or surprise to it.

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
For those that are curious, I got a response back from Nintendo of America's consumer service department. A very generic message "thanks for the feedback" message, but still cool since I didn't get anything in prior attempts.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
For those that are curious, I got a response back from Nintendo of America's consumer service department. A very generic message "thanks for the feedback" message, but still cool since I didn't get anything in prior attempts.
That's nice and all, but it doesn't really mean anything now.

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
Happy Holidays!

The post has been updated to make it easier to read.

Last edited:

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
Updated the post:
  • True Final Smash (Other Updates)
  • Updated Training Stuff (Stage Updates / Quality of Life)
  • Revamped Custom Smash (Quality of Life)
  • Player Input Display (Quality of Life)
  • New Controls Stuff (Controls Updates)
  • Results Screen Options (Quality of Life)
  • Bonus Content Section

Last edited:

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
Smashers, I have updated the post for the final time. It looks exceptional and would be a truly "ultimate' game.

If you haven't already, please like, comment, and share this post with others.
Everyone who reads this post is in full support of it, but it only has 3k views. It will need a lot more exposure than that.

There are tons of other threads on SmashBoards regarding players Smash 6 ideas, Definitive Edition ideas, and the like.
I hope after you have read my post that you will see it as the best of these and encourage others to read it.

Top Bottom