• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 12/15/2015 Smash Direct Discussion Thread [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Welcome to the Smash Direct Discussion thread. This thread will be used to discuss about the contents that are in the 12/15/2015 Smash Direct.

Rules
  • We realize things will be hectic especially during the Direct. As such, we'll be allowing a level of leniency in regards to a few things. You're allowed ONE hype image/post per page, images must be in spoilers to not clog up the page.
  • Posting stills/videos from the Direct are fine, so those following from work/mobile can be caught up.
  • Disappointment is fine, but do NOT flame other users or their opinions/joy. Conversely, don't "rub in salt" for those who are disappointed. Doing so will be infracted harsher than usual.
  • This thread will be open 30 minutes before the Direct and will stay open for 24 hours AFTER the Direct ends, so please keep Direct posts (especially the spam related kind) to this thread only.
  • The Social will be locked during the Direct so to avoid unnecessary spam in it.
  • All other usual SmashBoards ToS apply.
For questions regarding these rules, please contact the staff members in charge:
---
ASC | Red Ryu
FalKoopa FalKoopa
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy
Opossum

Time Zone listings
Time Zone | Area | Time and Date
PST | US West Coast | 2pm, 12/15/2015
EST | US East Coast | 5pm, 12/15/2015
GMT|Ireland, UK, Portugal|10pm, 15-12-2015
CET|Western Europe|11pm, 15.12.2015
IST|India|3.30am, 16-12-2015
AWST|Western Australia|6am, 16-12-2015
JST|Japan|7am, 2015-12-16
ACST|Northern Territory|7.30am, 16-12-2015
AEST|Queensland|8am, 16-12-2015
ACDT|South Australia|8.30am, 16-12-2015
AEDT|Victoria, Tasmania, ACT, New South Wales|9am, 16-12-2015
NZDT|New Zealand|11am, 16-12-2015

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The thread doors are now officially open. Please remember to keep all conversations civilized as the Smash Direct presentation draws nearer.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
Various stages of hype for this beautiful evening's broadcast:

Wake neighbours up:

Isaac (playable character)
Snake (playable character)
Sora (playable character)
Ridley (playable character)
Castlevania representation

Excited:
K. Rool (playable character)
Ice Climbers (playable character / stage)

Salty:
Shantae (playable character)
Shovel Knight (playable character)
Steve (playable character)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
K Rool is the best case scenario.

Beyond that I will shrug and be happy with having got Ryu I guess. Not sure which other realistic characters I'd be screaming for but we'll see.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
HERE WE GO BOYS! 25 minutes to go, I'm hoping on Wolf, Adventure Mode, and some new stages. LET'S GO BOYS.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I wish we'd get new Nintendo franchises represented instead of more vets and third parties (not that I wouldn't love Wolf or Rayman, and I'd faint at the sight of Banjo & Kazooie).

Custom Robo (which has literally zero representation in any way), Wars, Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Splatoon, Sin & Punishment, Chibi Robo, etc.

I'd even accept Pushmo if Sakurai were so daring.

As is, I'm expecting 2 characters besides Cloud to be revealed, and I'm betting that either they're both veterans or we get one veteran and one 3rd party. And on the imo incredibly unlikely chance we do get a new Nintendo fighter, I'm certainly betting he/she will already have friends waiting in the on-disc roster.

Oh well, anything is better than nothing, and I'm super hyped. IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN.

Last edited:

MrDrProfessor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-3303-8549
Hopefully a new secondary like Ryu will be part of the new roster because I like even numbers and having 13 characters that I can play fine bothers me when I could have 14.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
It's been fun guys

If this really is the end of new fighters for Smash 4, it's been an honor

I'll see you again when we do this all over in 6 years

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Between this and Star Wars tomorrow I'm not sure I can handle the hype. I'd been watching Knee of Justice montages to try prepare as well.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Let's walk into the light together, guys. It's gonna be a wild ride and we're at the end finally. Here we go. the viewer count on the Nintendo Twitch is climbing out of control.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The salt is so unbelievably real right now.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
WAHEY ANOTHER COUNTER.

Also Rayquaza clone confirmed.

That costume is nice of Sakurai to do.

EDIT: Unintentional double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
What the f*** is this?

Bayonetta won the ballot? I don't believe that

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
How the hell did Bayonetta win the poll. What just happened

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
More people talked about Shantae than Bayonetta.

Calling BS that she won. Especially since she's niche, there's no way she has a silent majority

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
My sum total reaction to this direct:

[spoilers]

Initially I saw "Rating Pending - PG - Teen" and thought Snake was returning. The hype was real. And then...

Corrin - Unbelievably salty. Unbelievably. By my reckoning, Fire Emblem got 2 DLC characters on top of 3 characters in the base game (4 if you include Lucina). Meanwhile, Donkey Kong got nothing with only 2 characters in the base game despite being a substantially better selling series and by any indication a more demanded one by virtue of K Rool and Dixie.

Cloud - Eh. Not a Final Fantasy fan but I can appreciate he's a big thing.

Costumes - This was actually pretty cool. Happy that they gave Geno fans a bone and the other costumes were overall pretty cool as well. Nothing that stood out as just plain stupid there, like e.g. Hoodie Mii.

Ballot Announcement - The moment I saw Pit I knew I was going to be disappointed, but I will admit that I instantly assumed Pink Gold Dr Pit was coming. Bayonetta was a surprise, but not a good one. Unfortunately I expect she'll be popular by virtue of looking to be a competitive character and I'd rather not inflate the developers opinion of how good a choice it was.

As far as I'm concerned, what a low note to end on. Thoroughly disappointed with the entire thing, and more generally with the choices made for characters in this game. DLC collectively managed 2 characters I cared about.

I wish you the best Sakurai, but I seriously hope someone else is in charge next game.

Enjoy Corrin and/or Bayonetta folks. Someone has to.

\salt

[/spoiler]

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
What the f*** is this?

Bayonetta won the ballot? I don't believe that
*Of the realizable characters

Sakurai either couldn't get the rights to other top picks, or couldn't come up with a moveset with his team.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
I'm just glad Geno's not playable.

They should have had a second Sonic rep as the second SEGA rep...
I'm pretty sure Bayonetta wasn't the ballot winner, but I'll try her out and then use her as a training dummy.

I'm really going to miss Wolf...

On the bright side, Cloud and Corrin look really interesting, and I can't wait to try them out!

Mii Costumes look cool tho.

I'll probably get all the DLC anyway.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Y'all just keep on being salty. I'm having a good day and I love the announcements made. Also, the Bayonetta stage miiiiiiiiiiiiiight be legal? CP maybe?

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
A lot of people were already upset about 5 FE reps and the absolute mad man added another one. At least Corren is more unique than the others though. Bayonetta looks absolutely insane.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
If Sakurai can't imagine a moveset for the other 4 winners (3 if one of them is Wolf so they could have just copy/pasted his moveset) then he should move on from thie franchise

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Corrin? Bayonetta?.....Wait, what?

You know what, I'm not even mad. The two characters we got are awesome! I was hoping for an indie character like Shantae, but hey. Also, no Wolf, which is only a small gripe of mine.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Corrin REALLY doesn't deserve he's spot. He's yet another Roy, getting in to smash to promote his unborn game. It's kind of pathetic for the FE series, that it relies so much on smash just to pull in sales lmao

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Well. I must say. The Direct was... alright. I became disappointed when I realized Fire Emblem now has the same number of reps as Pokémon. I mean, really? FE is nowhere near Pokémon's level. "We already have too many Pokémon," they said... I must admit that I was excited for Bayonetta, though, because, like Cloud, I did not see her coming at all. People would always mention how she's not appropriate enough to be in a game like this and use realistic guns, but it looks like Sakurai proved them wrong. Overall, the Direct was fine. A bit disappointing, but still good overall. Poor King K. Rool fans though. They spent years supporting their favorite character and campaigning for him to be in Smash, yet all they get in return is a cheap costume... At least we got a first party newcomer out of all this, even though it's yet another FE character.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm not a fan of Corrin, not because he's another FE rep, but because he's another FE player avatar. He fills exactly the same niche in his home franchise as Robin.

Bayonetta, I'm indifferent on. I knew she was incredibly popular from the get-go, but I didn't expect Sakurai to take it seriously. Well, congrats to her fans, I guess; even if I didn't expect her, I guess I was prepared for her.

What I'm mostly upset about is that they announced this is most definitely the final DLC. This means, after Corrin/Bayonetta are released, the game will no longer be officially supported, so... what now?

KaizorOne

Smash Rookie
I'm kinda salty about this Direct.
Not because of the Characters, more about the Stages. The Wii U Version got so less Stages that are actually fun to play on. I hoped to see some old Stages like Fountain, Corneria/Sektor Z, Brinstar Depths, Brinstar normal, Yoshis Island, Safron City or anything to return. Now we get a boring Bayonetta Stage with to much ****z in the Background and a hazzard spammed FF Stage. Nothing else. That really disappointed me. I think it wont be hard for them to port over some old Stages and they would work well. Would rather have some of these Stages over the FE Char, even if i like and play FE alot.

Also i was hyped as *** when the Mario RPG Sound came in and thought that a Forest Maze Stage would come, but nope, that's really bull****.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom