• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10 Rules to Fighting Captain Falcon!

The Jaeger

Smash Rookie
If you find yourself being constantly beaten by High-level Falcon Players, then you might want to check out this video on the 10 Rules to Fighting Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8kvrmf5weQ

This video was created by a group of competitive Falcon Player based in the State of Washington! If you live in Washington and are interested in being apart of an upcoming Video series please let me know!

Current Falcon Players:
Jaeger: Dark Blue
Aaron: Red and Purple/ (Gold in this video)
KCB_Kaz: White and Pink
KCB_ Siren: Green

PS: We will be increasing this series to many other character in the game, so if you have any rules to fighting other characters please leave them in the comments! Also, please leave any suggestions that you think would make my future videos more enjoyable!

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Neat.

Rules of fighting Lucario: don't land while air-dodging. Otherwise that aura sphere is going to hit you in the face.
Do try to edgeguard him. It's not impossible(be ready to tech, tho)
Don't let him use sideB on you. Always keep a bit of distance(he has to be SO close to use the grab version)
Crush him in close range. His frame data is trash and he can't take pressure and being shoved.
If you have a reflector, don't use it in anticipation, use it in reaction. It is kinda fast, but I cant think of a reflector that isn't fast enough to be able to reflect it in time.
Don't panic when his aura is high, be rational about your attempts to take him down, or you'll get SideB and die.

That's all I could think of for now. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

The Jaeger

Smash Rookie
Neat.

Rules of fighting Lucario: don't land while air-dodging. Otherwise that aura sphere is going to hit you in the face.
Do try to edgeguard him. It's not impossible(be ready to tech, tho)
Don't let him use sideB on you. Always keep a bit of distance(he has to be SO close to use the grab version)
Crush him in close range. His frame data is trash and he can't take pressure and being shoved.
If you have a reflector, don't use it in anticipation, use it in reaction. It is kinda fast, but I cant think of a reflector that isn't fast enough to be able to reflect it in time.
Don't panic when his aura is high, be rational about your attempts to take him down, or you'll get SideB and die.

That's all I could think of for now. Hope it helps.
Dope! This is great man, Thanks!

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
Oh yea. I think another rule should be be careful of getting grabbed because C.Falcon's grab is God.

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
I guess it's my fault for reviving a probably dead thread, but oh well.
This was a pretty bad video. Most footage seems to be taken from FG, so that's a brilliant start.
1. You say to not airdodge. So what should we do? Float around and just get hit anyway? Try offering ways to land against him instead.
2. For whatever reason it may be, comedy, to punctuate a point, or because you couldn't think of an actual 10th 'rule', you stated number one again, and once again with no way to counter the predicament of landing.
3. Off of FG, where recoveries would be more thought out, and have more landing options, up tilt on Falcon becomes far less viable. Also, once again, you offered no solution, just a problem.
4. "Out in the open?" What does that even mean? Because last I checked, most of Smash seems to be "out in the open" (inb4 GCO). Once again, you offered no solution, and I'm getting tired of typing that, so whenever you see 864, you'll know what I mean.
5. "The people elbow." Once again, you make terminology and refuse to explain it. Also, this is saying don't attempt to punish smash attacks early, a rule of fighting all characters, not just Falcon. 864.
6. In any universe, Pilotwings is not legal. Also, is dthrow knee true? If not, how do you counter it? 864.
7. Rule to fighting a character in Smash Bros.: Beware smash attacks. Get the point? Playing 3 player royale is horrible and you should never combine it with playing competitively. 864.
8. Rule of playing characters with projectiles: Projectiles are not 100% safe. Give your viewer some credit here, man. Also, another thing you should give your viewer is a warning as the when you are going to increase the volume of the video for no reason. 864.
9. "Don't get hit by move" is not only a bad rule, it comprises 33% of this list. Also that last clip resulted in you losing the match for that. Good trade in my book. 864.
10. Any character can disrespect, and any character can choose not to. Also, footstool is a viable option. Not disrespect. In tournament, when you pause you lose a stock. So was that pause worth it? Down air to kill is a viable option. Not disrespect. Soft knee is a viable option. Not disrespect. 86- actually, as much as I want to say that, saying that they have to accept something, even if it's over something as stupid to say as disrespect, I can't say 864. So it looks like there was a positive to this video.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Well for Rule 1 and by extension 2 it looked like you could use an air attack to hit Falcon. Plus with the recovery ones you could (Although it would be breaking the first two rules) air dodge the obvious spike are punish/recover depending on the character. But also to be fair on the Falcon punch and people's elbow (which by the way is a common term for his smash attack) is don't get hit by them. The respect on the smash might be referring to the range because it looked like it went farther than it should've judging the animation.

rp17000

Smash Cadet
NNID
rp17000
This was a pretty bad video. Most footage seems to be taken from FG, so that's a brilliant start.
1. You say to not airdodge. So what should we do? Float around and just get hit anyway? Try offering ways to land against him instead.
2. For whatever reason it may be, comedy, to punctuate a point, or because you couldn't think of an actual 10th 'rule', you stated number one again, and once again with no way to counter the predicament of landing.
3. Off of FG, where recoveries would be more thought out, and have more landing options, up tilt on Falcon becomes far less viable. Also, once again, you offered no solution, just a problem.
4. "Out in the open?" What does that even mean? Because last I checked, most of Smash seems to be "out in the open" (inb4 GCO). Once again, you offered no solution, and I'm getting tired of typing that, so whenever you see 864, you'll know what I mean.
5. "The people elbow." Once again, you make terminology and refuse to explain it. Also, this is saying don't attempt to punish smash attacks early, a rule of fighting all characters, not just Falcon. 864.
6. In any universe, Pilotwings is not legal. Also, is dthrow knee true? If not, how do you counter it? 864.
7. Rule to fighting a character in Smash Bros.: Beware smash attacks. Get the point? Playing 3 player royale is horrible and you should never combine it with playing competitively. 864.
8. Rule of playing characters with projectiles: Projectiles are not 100% safe. Give your viewer some credit here, man. Also, another thing you should give your viewer is a warning as the when you are going to increase the volume of the video for no reason. 864.
9. "Don't get hit by move" is not only a bad rule, it comprises 33% of this list. Also that last clip resulted in you losing the match for that. Good trade in my book. 864.
10. Any character can disrespect, and any character can choose not to. Also, footstool is a viable option. Not disrespect. In tournament, when you pause you lose a stock. So was that pause worth it? Down air to kill is a viable option. Not disrespect. Soft knee is a viable option. Not disrespect. 86- actually, as much as I want to say that, saying that they have to accept something, even if it's over something as stupid to say as disrespect, I can't say 864. So it looks like there was a positive to this video.
I think you are taking this too seriously. I see it as a comedic montage with some things to consider. This isn't an indepth guide.
1 & 2. I think the point was don't be baited into an air dodge or air dodge excessively. This was probably covered twice, as it is likely the number one reason people get beaten by a Falcon player. Falcon punishes an ill-timed air dodge HARD, probably one of the best in the game at doing so.
3. I don't really see how stages with platforms would help that much with recovery options when recovering low.
4. ....I actually don't get this part of the video either... So according to number 3, you can't recover low, but now you can't recover high???
5. The people's elbow is a well known way to refer to his forward smash. And I see a lot of people underestimate the speed and power of the move... more than a lot of other smash attacks.
6. Lol yeah about Pilotwings... But dthrow to knee is a true combo on specific characters at mid percents.
7 - 10. By this point the video is just joking around.
But about 10. Down air is a viable kill option but going for it when the opponent is already dead is a bit excessive. And there is no way that side special off-stage is not disrespectful! (And no one really cares about a pause that doesn't interrupt gameplay, unless you're Fortune.)

All in all, the video may have seemed semi-serious starting out but slowly became more and more comical the longer it progressed. However, it seems it wasn't really intended to cover these in-depth. Maybe the title is a little deceptive, but complaining about it is almost like complaining about not learning anything from Alpharad's "How to Play 101s." At least this video offers some helpful tips.

Last edited:

The Jaeger

Smash Rookie
As rp17000 stated, I made this as more of a comical video more than an informational video although I guess many players can learn from some of the rules. Sooner or later I'll make an actual informational video where I go into detail about what you should and shouldn't do against Captain Falcon, but I thought this video would be more enjoyable.

The Jaeger

Smash Rookie
I think you are taking this too seriously. I see it a comedic montage with some things to consider. This isn't an indepth guide.
1 & 2. I think the point was don't be baited into an air dodge or air dodge excessively. This was probably covered twice, as it is likely the number one reason people get beaten by a Falcon player. Falcon punishes an ill-timed air dodge HARD, probably one of the best in the game at doing so.
3. I don't really see how stages with platforms would help that much with recover options when recovering low.
4. ....I actually don't get this part of the video either... So according to number 3, you can't recover low, but now you can't recover high???
5. The people's elbow is a well known way to refer to his forward smash. And i see a lot of people underestimate the speed and power of the move... more than a lot of other smash attacks.
6. Lol yeah about Pilotwings... But dthrow to knee is a true combo on specific characters at mid percents.
7 - 10. By this point the video is just joking around.
But about 10. Down air is a viable kill option but going for it when the opponent is already dead is a bit excessive. And there is no way that side special off-stage is not disrespectful! (And no one really care about a pause that doesn't interrupt gameplay, unless you are Fortune.)

All in all, the video may have seemed semi-serious starting out but slowly became more and more a comical combo video the longer it progressed. However, it seems it wasn't really intended to cover these in-depth. Maybe the title is a little deceptive, but complaining it is almost like complaining about not learning anything from Alpharad's "How to Play 101s." At least this video offers some helpful tips.
Thank you very much for replying with everything I would have said. I haven't logged onto this website for a while, so I appreciate you defending the video!

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
That video was pretty funny! Umm, I'm not sure what your definition of disrespect is, but half of those clips are of you spiking someone who was able to recover you didn't spike or footstool them, but some were. Those raptor boosts though! The point of the video was saying that falcon is too awesome to be beaten, right? its not a guide, but a pro-falcon montage.

Top Bottom