• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10/10/07: Rise of Blue Sun

SonicMario

Smash Master
I am making this thread for people to share their stories on what they felt when they saw Sonic on the dojo that many sonic fans will remember forever. October 10th, 2007 that is.

My personal story:

I was one of those that were sort of cautious of what someone said in the Sonic thread. (You would have to dig WAYYYY back to the 500's just to get close to what i'm talking about.) In fact, I thought doubtedly it would happen. But on that day, I didn't find the news on the DOJO! 1st though. In fact I got it from... Google News searching Super Smash Bros. Brawl. And right there it said "Sonic confirmed for Brawl". My school blocks all offical game sites. So I couldn't get to the DOJO. When I got home, I felt complete as I really did see Sonic on the site. I smiled for the whole day. That's the end:lick:

SonicLuigi

Smash Journeyman
either green hill zone or mushroom kingdom
the day sonic was confirmed wasnt by the dojo at first...before school in the gym i was talkin to my friends mindin my own business...when one of my best friends came over and said "did u see this mornings update???? SONIC IS IN!!!" i was soo happy cuz he was finally confirmed. got home and saw that it was true

Cless

Smash Champion
I saw that he was in on the site and was extremely pleased. I check the site every weekday morning anyway. I thought he was going to be in it ever since I heard about the Olympics game though.

Spartan64

Smash Journeyman
My Sad Story

I was woken up at 2:30 am. I decided to check the Dojo before going to sleep. When i weant onto the Dojo i saw the warning for a new character. My vision was still sleepy so i couldent see the name. Then, the picture loaded. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. I got back into bed but could not sleep. My mind was doing one thing: "SONIC IS IN BRAWL" over and over and over

Shock the Hedgehog

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockhog
I don't normally have time to check the DOJO in the morning, but today, I got up earlier for reasons I don't know (was it a sign?). So I checked the DOJO and saw "WARNING! Challenger Approaching!" picture and thought "Aah, a new character, who could it be?" *scroll down* "OMGSONICSINBRAWLIMSOHAPPYIMABEHYPERALLDAYYAAAA!"

So yes, I was pretty hyper that day. (And I didn't even eat breakfast XD)

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
i usually wake up at 4-5 in the morning i see it and first i couldnt go back to sleep than i wouldnt shut up about it at school than i used the computer and saw it a dozen thousan tomes more just to make sure i wasnt dreaming

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I had stopped staying up to check the Dojo in the mornings ever since school started (back in August), so I generally didn't see the updates until around 2:30pm when I got home from school. However, in a freak turn of events, we happened to have computers available to us in my third block. Instead of typing the essay I was supposed to be working on (since essays are for squares), I decided to go to vgcats.com of all places. The guy that runs that site happened to have posted something to the effect of "Sonic's in Brawl, who'da thunk'd it?" Originally, I thought he was referring to a comic he VERY recently did regarding all the bad Sonic confirmation pictures that we saw circling the interwebz. So I didn't really think much of it.

Not long after that, I remembered that one of the boardies here (presumed to be a false prophet) predicted that Sonic would be revealed that day. My heart leapt with glee! But of course, the DOJO is blocked on the school's computers (why VGcats wasn't still eludes me) so I had to wait two excruciating hours to get home before I could finally see true confirmation for myself.

Then I proceeded to watch Sonic's badder-than-*** intro video until I went blind. It was a good day.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Well... the veterans on this forum are probably familiar with my negative thoughts about the chances of his inclusion. I did not think it would happen, for the same reason Del Money was upset: "That's not on the cards at the moment". I guess now that either means they still didn't come to an agreement at the time or he meant that it wasn't something to talk about at the time. Either way, to continue.

Nya (I forget the first part of his/her name) came here, said plain and simple that he would be revealed on October 10th, the night update itself. And after learning about a conference, learned that he'd be revealed there first. I really THOUGHT I didn't believe Nya, but somehow, deep inside me, I had a feeling that this could be one of only few correct statements by a random SWF member. I was curious as to why Nya had been here for a while and hardly posted, too. And yes, I'm deliberately leaving BlueWave out of this post... oh wait.

Anyway, I went to karate class, hardly able to focus, thinking "... who knows?". I went back home, and after a couple of hours, decided to look up Brawl on Google News, checking the Official Sonic Thread, and after a while, I find headlines, Sonic was revealed at the conference. Recently, I had text in my signature that pretty much sums up my reaction: a really long "ooooooooooohhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy gooooooooooooooood". I was surprised out of my freaking mind, the information and past thoughts were draining in my head, mostly the fact that HE'S IN IT, there was "Not on the cards at the moment", the Sonic haters, as well as Nya being RIGHT! The website WOULD NOT load for me, but someone provided a link to his profile on the German site... without sounding gay, I was mostly being humorous, but I said "oh man... he's... so beautiful...". Then I saw those screenshots, practically rooting "YES", and then I saw his screenshot with Mario and I'm like, "It's ON now!". Then I scroll down... WTF A VIDEO?!?!?!?! Of course, the video would not load, which SUCKED, and I was on the Wii (my computer crashed), so I couldn't go to GameTrailers or anything, I had to wait for an upload on YouTube (I forget how long). I saw that video, I'm like "JESUS CHRIST, THE GUY'S A MACHINE!", and forget the olympics, Sonic and Mario posing together in a certain part of the movie was what I've ALWAYS wanted to see, and to think, they'll work together in the Subspace Emissary! I knew since I saw it on Google News that he'd have Super Sonic as his Final Smash... actually I sorta expected that since, well, ever. But seeing him like that in the vid was incredible.

I did not scream and shout in happiness and stuff because my mom was sleeping (though that morning she actually said that she would've been fine. heh.), but I was so excited, I was... shivering. Kinda odd, yeah, and freaky.

Oh, and when I saw that it'd be delayed for the Japanese date, I knew instantly that it also meant for the Americas, and for a few seconds I said "what, Brawl is delayed? oooh nooo...", but then I said something that I doubt many other smashers said, "oh well, we got Sonic, that's all I ever wanted anyway".

It just feels so great the the old Sonic that I grew up with has made a resurrection, even if it's as brief as Anakin's in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. And now if this ends up being the last Smash Bros game (I doubt it would be, but it may be considered the last Smash game by Sakurai, at least for several years perhaps), I wouldn't care. I would feel like it's a book that had a grand finale... but to think, with the return of Mario vs. Sonic craziness, nostalgia will hit like crazy! Forget Freddy vs. Jason, man.

*pants* PHEW, sorry for that.

...Although I AM waiting for Ganondorf...

EDIT: I'll tell you what else happened. It's a bit disturbing, so only read it if you have a rather crude mindset:
I was so excited, I was having a lot of diarrhea, but was saying "I don't care, man! This is one of the greatest nights of my life!".
End text.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I saw him and thought "Oh? Well it had to happen someday, I guess."

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok sonicmario, seriously I get it that u like sonic... a LOT... enough to name ur 1st son after him, but I mean ur making a thread about how people reacted with his inclusion made official MORE THAN A MONTH AGO... I see little point to this...

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Ok sonicmario, seriously I get it that u like sonic... a LOT... enough to name ur 1st son after him, but I mean ur making a thread about how people reacted with his inclusion made official MORE THAN A MONTH AGO... I see little point to this...
Why not? I named my dad's firstborn child Sonic. Sure, big sis still thinks I'm a loon, but who cares? She can run up loop-de-loops now. A little gratitude would be nice.

Seriously though, QFT.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I made this because No one did it. You can't just say it in the Official Sonic thread. everyone will be like: "WTF You talking a 'bout?". I just though I'd get some of new sign ups their chance at retelling their stories of happiness seeing Sonic on the Dojo or finding out a different way. As long with some of the Sonic thread veterans to do so too. Either that, or it could be boredom... Like come on, I got NRWC & Garuda to do it. And this thread makes more sense then any n00b threads nowadays anyways. "The Rise of Blue sun" was just a fun addition I wanted to add.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
Well I was up late. My friend linked me to the IGN story stating Sonic was confirmed. I was the 2nd to post it in the thread (just barely too).

Then it was up on the german version of the dojo. It kept crashing when we tried watching the video.

Finally it was on the USA one and... AFDJGLDKG!

Awesome night.

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
well i was waking up for school and so i was half asleep and i always check the dojo before i leave.
Well i saw it and literally started running around the house yelling about how i was gonn main Sonic(I no i got problems)
P.S. U dont even want to know what i did when they released online play ;) and no it was nothing bad by any means

maxieman

Smash Ace
So there I was browsin the WoW forums when all of a sudden

Sonic confirmed for SSBB!!!!

so I says to myself, I says another spam topic -.- and I checks the dojo... and thens I starts gigglin uncontrolably for the rest of the week

BTW epic story geruda

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
When I first saw it I didn't believe it was gonna be that soon. Then my bro says "Look at the site" and to my belief it was! I watched the video 4456782634 times.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
When I woke up at about 6AM to get ready for school and check the dojo, all I thought was "please don't let this be bad" seeing as most of the recent updates at the time were awesome. When I got the page open, I saw Challenger Approaching and was ecstatic. Character Updates are always the best.

When I saw Sonic, I almost jumped up and started dancing. To think, Sonic is in Brawl. I couldn't contain myself for a week. I told everyone I knew; Smashers, Friends/Family who knew I love Smash, and even anti-Smasher. At that point, I didn't care what anyone told me, Brawl is going to be Game of the Decade. xD

For a brief history of me, I grew up as a Sega kid (even though I was still little). My older brother, by 10 years, also loved Sega and Sonic. My first and only video games for a couple of years were of the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

Though, as Garuda plainly stated "I AM waiting for Ganondorf." =)

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
When I got up at 6:20 a.m., I check the dojo (I check the site like every morning as most smash bros fans would do). I saw the "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" sign. I was a little suprised and thought it could be a newcomer I never seen before. I scroll down and I was really shocked when I saw the word" Sonic". I said " No way! It can't be...." and scroll down a little and there he was, Sonic the Hedgehog in brawl. I was super excited.

I kept scrolling down to find a movie of Sonic the hedgehog joins the brawl. Clicked on it and watched it about 2-3 times before I went to school to tell my friend about Sonic in brawl although he didn't believe me at first until I showed him the trailer and images. I was so hyped up for brawl that day that I failed to realized that the release date on the site has changed.

Its too bad that Nintendo Nsider wasn't there at the time.
Now my ultimate Smash team is almost complete.
Known as "The Big 5"-working title
1.Fox
2.Sonic
3. Samus/Zero Suit
4. MetaKnight
5. Snake

SonicLuigi

Smash Journeyman
When I woke up at about 6AM to get ready for school and check the dojo, all I thought was "please don't let this be bad" seeing as most of the recent updates at the time were awesome. When I got the page open, I saw Challenger Approaching and was ecstatic. Character Updates are always the best.

When I saw Sonic, I almost jumped up and started dancing. To think, Sonic is in Brawl. I couldn't contain myself for a week. I told everyone I knew; Smashers, Friends/Family who knew I love Smash, and even anti-Smasher. At that point, I didn't care what anyone told me, Brawl is going to be Game of the Decade. xD

For a brief history of me, I grew up as a Sega kid (even though I was still little). My older brother, by 10 years, also loved Sega and Sonic. My first and only video games for a couple of years were of the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

u have it all wrong son not game of the decade

game of the year..no century...or best game of ALL TIME

Garuda

Smash Ace
It's the Triforce of Power, man. No matter what moveset he'll have in Brawl, he'll be incredible. I love using him in Melee, clones don't bother me.

I edited my post at the end, if anyone wants a tiny bit more detail on my reaction to Sonic... read at your own risk.lol

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Alright. Here's my story.

I went to sleep early on October 9th. My birthday was on the 10th, so I knew that I would have too much stuff to do to stay awake and watch the Dojo update. Now, for weeks I have been pestering my roommates. I kept telling them that if Sonic wasn't in Brawl, that I was going to go crazy. Well, the next day I went to my college classes, and got home to play Halo 3. My friend and I were just sitting there, when it hit me that I had time to check the Dojo. I looked over at him, and said, "Sonic better be in Brawl!" I laughed, not thinking that my chances were very high. He laughed as well, and I signed onto the Dojo to see Sonic on Brawl. I looked over at him, smiling, and showed him the page. He cracked up. He continues to tell me that he called Nintendo and told Sakurai to put Sonic on Brawl for my birthday. lol I guess this would have to be the best birthday present that I have ever gotten.

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
it was kinda weird the day he was announced i was thinking about how sonic games are starting to suck(im a sonic fan so dont got all nerd/geek on me with your flames)me and my brother were like sonic needs to find some way to go back on top like he used to be
its like the story lines for his games are awsome but the gameplay...it really sucks for example sonic for the 360 and ps3.then i went to brawl and saw sonic and i told myself "maybe he can still make it"(unlike earthworm jim lol xD)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Real quick one from me.

Friend called, told me to "get your *** on the Dojo"

I did so (this is at 6:30 AM), and went on Dojo, which took forever to load.

Then I executed I plan for when the day would come.

I cried all day out of sheer joy, and downloaded the movie, and watch it constantly, even still.

SonicLuigi

Smash Journeyman
Alright. Here's my story.

I went to sleep early on October 9th. My birthday was on the 10th, so I knew that I would have too much stuff to do to stay awake and watch the Dojo update. Now, for weeks I have been pestering my roommates. I kept telling them that if Sonic wasn't in Brawl, that I was going to go crazy. Well, the next day I went to my college classes, and got home to play Halo 3. My friend and I were just sitting there, when it hit me that I had time to check the Dojo. I looked over at him, and said, "Sonic better be in Brawl!" I laughed, not thinking that my chances were very high. He laughed as well, and I signed onto the Dojo to see Sonic on Brawl. I looked over at him, smiling, and showed him the page. He cracked up. He continues to tell me that he called Nintendo and told Sakurai to put Sonic on Brawl for my birthday. lol I guess this would have to be the best birthday present that I have ever gotten.
happy late birthday!!! hope it was good....well it was cuz sonic was confirmed that day :)

Stryks

Smash Hero
I made this because No one did it. You can't just say it in the Official Sonic thread. everyone will be like: "WTF You talking a 'bout?". I just though I'd get some of new sign ups their chance at retelling their stories of happiness seeing Sonic on the Dojo or finding out a different way. As long with some of the Sonic thread veterans to do so too. Either that, or it could be boredom... Like come on, I got NRWC & Garuda to do it. And this thread makes more sense then any n00b threads nowadays anyways. "The Rise of Blue sun" was just a fun addition I wanted to add.

seriously were happy sonic is in,move on, I mean u dont see people making M SO HAPI DDD SI CONF1RM3D M MAKIN A R1S3 FO OB3S3 PENGW1N THR3AD!1!! now do you?...

seriously this thread is pointless

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
I was one of those that were sort of cautious of what someone said in the Sonic thread. (You would have to dig WAYYYY back to the 500's just to get close to what i'm talking about.) In fact, I thought doubtedly it would happen. But on that day, I didn't find the news on the DOJO! 1st though. In fact I got it from... Google News searching Super Smash Bros. Brawl. And right there it said "Sonic confirmed for Brawl". My school blocks all offical game sites. So I couldn't get to the DOJO. When I got home, I felt complete as I really did see Sonic on the site. I smiled for the whole day. That's the end:lick:
What a stupid story... I h4d 4n 0rg4sM wH3n I s4w s0n1c ON teh D0j0 lol:urg::psycho:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Trust me Stryks, a thread like this was gonna happen anyway. Some curious Sonic fan (That includes n00bs) that knows Sonic is in Brawl would have made a thread like this sooner or later. So maybe see how long this thread lasts. Trust me, this will end that before it happens. I'm sorry you think this is a pointless thread. But you stick to your opinion on this thread, and I stick to mine. And IMO, this ends all the curious Sonic fan's spam of asking this question. Trust me, this will end more Sonic fanboy/fangirl spam questions. And also, I think there are much more pointless threads you and I have seen. You don't know how many "Is Luigi/Falcon in yet? Please tell me!" threads I've seen. If you don't like this idea, then just ignore my silly thread and do whatever you do best.

vesperview

Smash Hero
God, why is this even relevant? Seriously what kinda replies are you hoping to get? It's either exaggerated fake stories or the typical:

"Didn't sleep for the update as usual"
"Woke up at 5 before going to school and sat in my comp for two mins and saw sonic."
"Got back from School at around 4, went to the Dojo and there he was"

Seriously is not a big deal, it's just a game.

Top Bottom