• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1 on 1 Training againts CPU

Carlos Uchoa

Smash Rookie
Hello, I haven't played fighting games for a really long time and I am loving this new Smash Bros.
I'm actually using Kirby a lot because i've always loved Kirby and I feel bad for losing so much with him.

I've got a simple question, is the level 9 CPU enough for training?
I could play online but sometimes I get lag spikes and that makes me rage a lot!!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
A lv9 is enough for the basics, but is never recommended for anything else. I suggest playing against other players for more experience. Top players for best practice. You'll know you'll lose, but learning is key.

Last edited:

RtMbot

Smash Rookie
NNID
RtMbot
LVL 9 CPU have frame-perfect shields, rolls, air-dodges, and punishes. They are programmed specifically to read your inputs and react to them instantly, if their character allows it; their reaction time allows them to pull off things that no human would be able to perform consistently. They have built-in strategies and programming, so how they play may not be a good representation of how actual users of that character play, and as such you won't really learn about that character's capabilities and what to watch out for. They all have habits; if you find an AI exploit that works against one character, chances are it will work for another, and no matter how many times you punish their habits, they will never stop or adapt to what you do, they will continuously do what they were programmed to, no matter how much time passes; unlike people, these CPUs do not learn. Perhaps it's different for Amiibos but I'd be careful with those as well.

They can be good for practicing basics, but typically, beating them involves exploiting their programming, and this isn't true just for lvl 9s, this is pretty much the case for every CPU level. They are not good representations of actual people; they will not help you learn in-depth strategies; things that work on them will not work on many people, and things that work on people will not work on them. If you play them too much, you may potentially develop bad habits that will be difficult to get rid of, and then you will kind of play like a computer yourself. Offline play is your best bet at practicing.

I'm not saying never play CPUs ever, because sometimes you may just want a quick, no-hassle match, or just some stress relief, what I am saying is when you play them, be mindful of the fact that they're not real people, and don't let them shape your playstyle too much. Hope that explains it :)

Last edited:

Carlos Uchoa

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advices, seems reasonable. I'll try playing more online, the problem is that I'm too competitive and won't accept defeats. When I lose, I quit until I'm chilled to play another round. And I lose a lot... lol

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Agreed with the dude with the ugly avatar.

Thanks for the advices, seems reasonable. I'll try playing more online, the problem is that I'm too competitive and won't accept defeats. When I lose, I quit until I'm chilled to play another round. And I lose a lot... lol
The good news is that most of the players on "For Glory" are really bad. The bad news is that most of them are really bad. If you can beat them, that's good, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're good. It means you're good at punishing bad habits (excessive rolldodging being one of the most common ones.) Some of the players are, of course, little kids who have no idea what they're doing. Some of them are older people that still have no idea what you're doing. The best use of For Glory is to be able to tell the difference, if you're losing to a player that you can tell is good, that means you've reached the point where you can tell a good player from a bad one, and that's where you'll really start to improve.

Or you can just find people to play here, or on nintendodojo or smashladder, and skip the hassle. Cpus are always good for one thing, and one thing only: testing offline reaction time. If you have nobody to play in person, CPUs can at least help you practice offline tech. Wifi is a good tool to use to learn how to play against skilled players, but the input delay is always a major factor. It improves certain moves (projectiles, for example) or playstyle such as prediction, and nerfs other aspects, such as reaction time.

Carlos Uchoa

Smash Rookie
Some of them are older people that still have no idea what you're doing.
I am this.
I just played about 10 games right now, lost 9 and won the last one. Now I've really noticed that people are much much superior than LVL 9 CPU.

Played some more, about 20 games in total, met some people as bad as me but even thou they still beat me.
results: wins 4 - 16 defeat - I think.
I still have hopes, kurby will save me xD

Last edited:

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Agreed with the dude with the ugly avatar.

Or you can just find people to play here, or on nintendodojo or smashladder, and skip the hassle.
sorry to derail this thread, but are there any 2v2 ladders for wii u yet? All I can find is smash dojo and thats 3ds.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Levels 1-3 are better for training imo. Just wail on the cpu, get used to your range, timing, follow-ups, combos, essentially ideal situations. Playing real players involves mostly neutral game which also makes you feel less willing to try unfamiliar strategies/moves. The neutral game is still extremely important so playing CPU will never be a substitute for players, but it can definitely be helpful for incorporating new strategies into your playstyle or just getting used to a new character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom