• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1-on-1 For Glory makes You a Worse Player?

Does For Glory 1-on-1 make you a worse player?

• Total voters

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing 1-on-1 For Glory a lot recently, but then I fought my friend who is a Little Mac main. He beat me to the ground, hardly making a single mistake that I could capitalize off of, and he has a few hundred For Glory matches under his belt as well (definitely more, I think...)... Matter of fact he just hit 1,000 matches, while I just hit 500. So, I've begun to come under the impression that For Glory, due to a lot of low-level players (or perhaps due to a lack of stage variation?), is making us worse players, just doing standard tactics, not really putting much thought into things, simply because there is no need to do so. Although after a fighting my friend a while, I did start to turn things around a bit. He still wins more, but I've snagged a few victories myself. He has always had an edge on me in Smash Bros. though...

What do you all think?

Last edited:

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Partially agree. The level of play changes entirely when you just have some douchebag rolling and camping everywhere, but you're probably also used to compensating for lag.

Vade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vade
3DS FC
4296-3320-8652
I would have to disagree with it making you a worse player, I've got about 800 games in for glory, but I haven't really had to stick to standard tactic. You get to face plenty of different players who could exhibit their own unique playstyle so I don't think it would make you a worse player.

D

Deleted member 269706

It might make you a worse player compared to when you battle in a party with items and such, but I can say that it's made me a better player in general. I mean I'm finally starting to understand when I should/shouldn't use certain moves vs when I should. I've learned how smash attacks are meant to be preformed and how to pull off combos. For me at least, it's only improved my play and helped me get more experience with my mains.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
At the very least playing with human opponents gave me more raw experience with my mains than playing with level 9 CPUs all day. However I felt I'd be better if I was matched with players at a similar skill level like me, I don't learn much if I stomp people much worse than me or get creamed by an absolutely skilled player (unless they play one of my mains). FG only having FD-type stages doesn't really help matters since it's still only one type of stage being selected, when I could also be going on normal Battlefield or Yoshi's Island for platforms.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Don't know about worse, but only playing that alone will limit your capability.

I play on the good stages with my friend, keeping most of the items off if we're actually practicing.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Maybe should be "Unsure" because it does improve your play to a degree, but when you hit that limit it just stops hard because youre spending your time dealing with spammy morons and not legitimate good players.
Being able to call out someone's movements and countering it will always be better in the end than spamming arrows.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I think that For Glory actually gives you an edge on other people. Facing folks that you're not familiar with improves the rate at which you can react and adapt to a new person and their tactics. This can be good for tourneys and hell, even local matches with friends.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Not so much better or worse, but more suited to that particular playstyle. I think the same thing's true for fighting AI in local games- I can make the AI my *****, but I'm pretty sure because all of my experience has been fighting an AI with predictable movements that can be exploited and never changed I'd be ranked so low on the For Glory boards it's probably better for me to not even bother.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
I never actually thought about that, but it makes sense. I noticed that I play 'slower' when I'm playing with some of my friends, I think the case being that online makes you play 'faster' and you tend to rush because of the less fps, therefore your play style is a little different.
What I'm getting at is you don't play at 100% if you play other people from different regions, like you would with people from your region, I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Also I noticed that when I come across some scrub players online I end up missing some of my hits, or not knowing what combos to pull off, because you would expect the other player to do things/moves/techniques but they don't. It kind of throws me off sometimes. Then I go to play some decent people and my moves are off, I don't know, it's weird.

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
It'll make you learn how to counter Little Mac and Zero Suit Samus, that's for sure.

Snoop

Smash Rookie
It doesn't make you a worse player because who are you comparing yourself to? Tournament play and online play are two completely different things. If you want to beat people in tournaments, online play is going to make you get used to online tactics, not tournament tactics. It's like in any other fighting game, for example Street Fighter. When you go online, the strategies used to beat opponents is vastly different than the strategies employed to beat opponents in a tournament environment. So you can be a really good online warrior, or you could be a really good tournament-goer; it just depends on who you're comparing yourself to.

(But playing with friends usually puts you into one singular mindset every game cause you're going against the same opponent and DOES make you a bad player.)

Gamecube

Smash Cadet
I actually say yes, not because it makes me worse, it's just that almost everytime i play for glory, it lags A LOT. And for some reason it doesn't really happen for me in any other online modes

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
It really depends.

If you are continuously fighting against poor players, you'll probably develop bad habits.
If you fight against good players, you'll probably develop better habits and learn different match-ups.

That's why if you're getting your bottom handed to you in For Glory, you should always keep fighting. It'll help you in the long run.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Better than fighting level 9s. If you don't have lag, I'd rather fight a dumb human Mac than a dumb computer.

Experience is experience. Just keep your opponents' level of play in mind when playing someone of a different level. I don't play my friends the same way I play serious matches.

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
It's better than fighting level 9s anyway. Sure alot of people on For glory tend to be scrubby or trolly but every once in while you find a guy that makes you wish Sakurai had put an option to get that friend code. At the very least, your getting some form of experience against human players. I don't think it's a good idea to be a full on for glory person though. It's better to try to find people manually IMO. It's a much better experience overall because your actually talking to the person and getting a better idea of how you play. You also might make a friend so bonus points.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
As long as you use For Glory to learn stuff about the game, I think it makes you a better player. The number of wins you've accumulated or your win percentage doesn't matter at all. Even bad players can teach you something about the game you didn't know about previously.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It does depend on what you wanna do with said experience, if you want it only in for glory mode then keep doing it, if you want tournament level skill then you might have to reach out to different types of players on your own terms and rules also to test out different stages to see which you do better on

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
I think that if you let yourself slip into autopilot mode, or let the delay frustrate you, its very easy to have an online mode in a fighting game build bad habits. Do I think that playing For Glory will make you a worse player? I wouldnt say that. Would I say that being lazy and playing mindlessly, getting frustrated at lag, etcetera, could lead to bad habits? Certainly.

My advice, if you are worried about this, is just continue to focus on practicing things each and every match. Try to take something away from the match, or drill a new technique instead of just trying to win.

For Glory isnt your enemy; Autopilot is your enemy.

Convulsion

Smash Rookie
NNID
ToxicCocktail
3DS FC
0576-3737-3358
Back in Brawl, I practiced nonstop against CPUs, which didn't do much good. My friends came over occasionally and somehow still managed to hand my buttcheeks to me. This was because I got used to the CPUs and the way they fought.

BUT! Now that online is out and I can fight actual living, breathing human person-people, I'm getting better almost every time I play. I don't just spam dsmash anymore, now I roll and dsmash! Now, even when fighting my friends, my buttcheeks are glued to the base of my spine where they belong.

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
Nothing wrong with level 9 CPUs. I go against them If I'm still trying to remember the moveset. Then I'd proceed on to For-Glory to find what are the good and bad matchups of a certain character I use. The same character that I lose and win against consistently will tell me to work on my basic fundamentals of the game or the character I'm using.

But playing somebody in person is always the best in my opinion due to no lag.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Wat...

This thread makes no sense.

"Playing the main multi player mode of the game makes you a worse player?"

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's kinda like how playing purely on flat+plat stages makes you completely hazard-blind when someone takes you to Brinstar. It's not that For Glory makes you a worse fighter, but it acclimates you to certain traits (no platforms, no hazards, relatively large proportions of Mac, Zamus, Sheik, etc, lag compensation) that you have to adjust for when playing locally. If you can't adjust quickly to suddenly having platforms (or even hazards) and performing attacks on-time instead of early, then you won't perform as well.

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
Before the games release I only got into smash this past year, a group of 4 friends and myself played countless 1v1 matches on project m, so when the game came out I wasn't sure how good I would be online competitively, and I faired about a 60% win rate out of 100 matches. Now if 1v1 play got me to this level I think for glory mode can't do anything but help as well, not to mention how random 4 man and items in matches can be.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
For Glory in and of itself does not make me a worse player.
What does make me a worse player, however, is lag.

The only kind of lag I've seen in 1v1 is the kind where the game runs perfectly fine.
But there's significant input lag. I don't know if the guy on the other side playing was significantly better or didn't have my issue, or maybe I really did become a worse player, but when this happens I get horribly wrecked.
And SD out of shame.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well he has a little more online experience than you and plays Little Mac. It's kinda a given he'll be taking you down easily, but you might want to search someone a little more even and don't utilized gimmick characters too much. IMO, he's one of those characters you can easily get into with bad habits if you're not careful, especially with input lag and such. Obviously, I'm not going to suggest local play since not everyone has that leisure, but playing with people that has little lag and what I mentioned earlier will surely help you further.

Rickhaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rickhaos
3DS FC
0576-4749-8803
Even tough ive have quite the number of matchups with people way better than me, and getting destroyed by them, i can fell myself getting better at the game, reacting better, knowing my characters more, etc...
So no i dont think 1-on-1 makes you a worse player, but im still a newbie.
Altough you might say that getting used to playing with lag is in itself a bad thing.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I think that if you let yourself slip into autopilot mode, or let the delay frustrate you, its very easy to have an online mode in a fighting game build bad habits. Do I think that playing For Glory will make you a worse player? I wouldnt say that. Would I say that being lazy and playing mindlessly, getting frustrated at lag, etcetera, could lead to bad habits? Certainly.

My advice, if you are worried about this, is just continue to focus on practicing things each and every match. Try to take something away from the match, or drill a new technique instead of just trying to win.

For Glory isnt your enemy; Autopilot is your enemy.
This is exactly it, use for Glory to hone new ways of playing and see how people actually react. See what other people will use. Unless you're getting world ending lag it shouldn't have any effect on your play long term.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It's well known across multiple fighting games that playing online can teach you bad habits. There are certain setups that are much more reliable when there's a little bit of delay, so if you've tailored your strategy to such "XBox Live" tactics you may have trouble in an offline tourney when people can defend against them more reliably. Also, there's the fact that most people that you face online won't be all that strong, so you may get too dependent on noob-killing tactics that simply don't work against good players.

It's not really a long-term problem though. When you start playing against people offline you start adapting to what works in that scenario. There are a lot of top-level players who started as primarily online players but now are very successful in offline tournies.

Last edited:

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244
Fighting players better than you and learning things from it will not make you a worse player. If you're on For Glory and keep winning, it's just like playing your little cousin or whatever--yeah, it's probably going to make you worse. At the very least, it's a waste of time.

Playing people locally who challenge you is always going to be your best option. When you don't have that opportunity all the time (like me), For Glory is going to be your best way of improving.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Maybe.

It obviously depends on how consistent the quality of your competition is. If you're consistently facing awful players who you easily dominate, you may develop bad habits if there's no counterbalance. But on the flip-side, if you're consistently facing genuinely skilled players who challenge you, you're very likely to benefit from this assuming you're decently skilled and determined yourself.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
It makes you AMAZING at fighting Little Macs on Final Destination.

But I understand what you mean, real Smash is played on all sorts of stages, not just flat like this, that give advantages and disadvantages to specific characters.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
It should make you a better player since you can learn new match ups with your main and play humans. But it can make you bad in some aspects i guess.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
It makes you an underdeveloped player as all the stages are Final Destination rehashes. Not to mention, most people who play For Glory tend to have the play to win mentality and take advantage of the stage with a character who dominates the stage itself, for instance Little Mac; or they choose a character who has really exploitable tactics given the settings in For Glory mode, and use for instance Bowser to get the first KO, and then suicide KO off the stage. For Glory mode is really flawed in its design and in certain circumstances makes characters who have exploitable tactics become overused, offering very little character variety online, thus decreasing MU knowledge against other characters. Lag is out of the equation as not everyone has access to great internet connection as everyone else.

Top Bottom