• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1...2...3!

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Introduction: So after losing valuable time due to school, sports, and the like. I managed to spark up some extra time to return to Shoddy. Obviously, I started right back into the UnderUsed tier. With the addition of the HeartGold and SoulSilver movepool changes starring certain Pokemon on a UU team was a must. Right now this team is pretty much an all out offensive team, so any and all help / criticism is appreciated.

The Team
---

"Monkey Fever"
Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Technician
Jolly (+Spd, -Sp Atk)
252 Spd / 252 Atk / 6 HP
~ Return
~ Fake Out
~ U-Turn
~ Low Kick / Payback
Analysis: Ambipom has been one of the most reliable leads in UU, so it's not reason why I shouldn't be using him now. Maximizing his speed is necessary for him to get Fake Out on every lead that isn't Swellow, Sceptile, Electrode, or Scarfed Pokemon. He can then follow up the situation by hitting with a ridiculously strong Return, which is backed by Silk Scarf and STAB, or U-Turn out to a teammate. Low Kick absolutely stops Registeel, Regirock, and Aggron who hope to come in on the resisted Fake Out. Payback, on the other hand hits Mismagius and Rotom, who are completely immune to it. Such is a dilemma for Ambipom, as he can only selectively hit his counters. There is always the possibility of dropping U-Turn in order to get both Low Kick and Payback on the same set, but U-Turn as a scouting move is too valuable to lose.
Chemistry: Fighting - Misgamius and Yanmega (barring Rocks)

"Blue Lightning"
Feraligatr @ Leftovers
Torrent
Adamant (+Atk, -Sp Atk)
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
~ Aqua Jet
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch / Return
Analysis: With the addition of Aqua Jet the Swords Dance set is more valuable and potent than the Dragon Dance set. After one Swords Dance he gains +2 Attack and now has a STAB priority move to abuse. Earthquake simply crushes Lanturn and Electrode, who think they are safe from Aqua Jet, and is very helpful in eliminating Electric-type threats with proper prediction. Ice Punch serves the same purpose as Earthquake does, hurting Grass-type switch-ins for supereffective damage. with the bonus of nailing things like Altaria and Swellow as well. Return can also prove a powerful attack should I find the need that Milotic and Slowbro wall me too often.
Chemistry: Electric (read: Rotom) - Donphan
Grass - Registeel and Yanmega (barring Rocks)

"Big Ol' Dumbo"
Donphan @ Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish (+Def, -Sp Atk)
252 Atk / 204 Def / 54 HP
~ Ice Shard
~ Assurance
~ Earthquake
~ Rapid Spin
Analysis: Donphan is a much-needed Rapid Spinner on the team, as nobody likes entry hazards and Yanmega just hates Stealth Rock. Toxic Spikes aren't too much of a problem from the rarer Roserade leads, as I have 1 immunity and 2 un-affected. Earthquake is a beautiful STAB that hits nicely, and coupled with Ice Shard (also a handy priority) contains moderate coverage. Rapid Spin is to remove entry hazards, the most useful purpose of Donphan. Assurance hits the spin-blockers in UU (minus Spiritomb) for strong damage. It's a shame he lacks a good recovery move.
Chemistry: Water - Feraligatr and Registeel
Grass - Registeel and Yanmega (barring Rocks)

"A Witch's Soul"
Mismagius @ Leftovers
Levitate
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
252 Spd / 176 HP / 80 Sp Atk
~ Nasty Plot
~ Shadow Ball
~ Hidden Power [Fightning]
~ Thunderbolt / Substitute
Analysis: Mismagius was always a potent threat in the UU metagame, and now with Nasty Plot it achieves even more power. Shadow Ball and Hidden Power [Fighting] are staple for Mismagius as it provides complete neutral coverage. Thunderbolt lets it hit Lickiliky and Clefable harder than Hidden Power [Fighting] does, but Substitute lengthens Mismagius' lifespan, since it's not too sturdy on the Physical side. Mismagius also serves as the spin-blocker for Registeel's Rocks, although it fears enemy Donphan's Assurance.
Chemistry: Ghost - Ambipom and Registeel
Dark - Registeel and Donphan

"Big Bad Dragonfly"
Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Tinted Lens
Modest (+Sp Atk, -Atk)
252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
~ Bug Buzz
~ Giga Drain
~ Air Slash
~ U-Turn / AncientPower
Analysis: Before this thing gets banished to the BL tier by Smogon, I decided to give him a shot. Tinted Lens is truly an amazing ability, doubling the power of not very effective moves, conveniently negating 2x resistances and halving 4x resistances to 2x ones. His powerful STAB moves Bug Buzz and Air Slash are now only resisted by few in the UU environment, which isn't too much of a problem because Yanmega can just U-Turn out anyways. Giga Drain doesn't offer too much as far as power and coverage, but it hits Rhydon, Quagsire, Gastrodon, Chansey, and Milotic for surprisingly better damage, and is actually a good source of HP replenishment. AncientPower can be run over U-Turn to hit Charizard and Moltres; the 2 Pokemon in UU who resist Bug Buzz 4x, for supereffective damage. The potential +1 in every stat is always welcome as well. Stealth Rocks completely ruin Yanmega's day, so Donphan is very important to Yanmega's success.
Chemistry: Rock - Registeel, Feraligatr, and Donphan
Fire - Feraligatr
Electric - Donphan
Flying - Donphan and Registeel
Ice - Feraligatr and Registeel

"The Ancient Tomb"
Registeel @ Leftovers
Clear Body
Careful (+Sp Def, -Sp Atk)
252 HP / 156 Sp Def / 100 Atk
~ Iron Head
~ Stealth Rock
~ Thunder Wave
~ Earthquake / Explosion
Analysis: Registeel maintains his position on the team as one of the more prominent walls in UU. He is the Stealth Rocker of the team, which lets my offensive team do their job better. Thunder Wave is also helpful, spreading some nice status throughout the opposing team, something the rest of the team also enjoys. Iron Head provides a STAB, albeit a weak-ish type one, but parahaxing with Registeel is absolutely hilarious and much more satisfying than doing so with Togekiss. Earthquake provides Registeel with 2 attacks, but Explosion can take out a huge threat if necessary. He's the only "wall" of the team.
Chemistry: Fire - Feraligatr
Fighting - Mismagius and Yanmega (barring Rocks)
Ground - Mismagius and Yanmega (barring Rocks)

---
Team Building

Once the new moves were implanted on Shoddy, I lept in to start with 2 of my most favorite tests: Swords Dancing Feraligatr and Nasty Plot Mismagius.

I then needed a reliable lead: I debated Roserade with sleep-inducing moves and Spikes support, or Ambipom with Fake Out and a great Aggron / Ghost-type destroyer.

I definitely knew that there was going to be an issue with entry hazards so I decided on Donphan.

Next I added Yanmega, already well-known in the UU tier for his sweeping prowess.

Then I tossed in another favorite of mine, Typhlosion.

However, Typhlosion didn't really work out on the team, so I replaced him with Registeel. The only wall in this offensive force.

---
All-in-all this team is actually doing quite nicely. However as a team I think the members are relying on Registeel's great defenses too much (although this is supposed to be an offensive team) to take hits. I'm trying to think of any possibilites to help the team out offensively as well as defensively. Also, other than Registeel there is no other Pokemon on the roster to dish out some status. I also feel that the chemistry from switching to and fro between team members is a bit lacking, so any help on that (such as replacing Pokemon, etc.) would be appreciated.

Again, as stated above: please help me out! Any help is appreciated. ^_^

-Terywj

D

Deleted member

lol, you should totally add my registeel set with metal claw, curse, amnesia rest. it's really obnoxious, especially in UU.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Why Metal Claw? The attack boost rarely happens, you're better off Cursing and Ironing Heading.

WouW

Smash Lord
PP stalling/conserving purposes (Metal Claw has 35 PP), you're never going to do a lot of damage anyway and Iron Head wouldn't ever flinch given Registeel's low speed combined with curse.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
PP stalling/conserving purposes (Metal Claw has 35 PP), you're never going to do a lot of damage anyway and Iron Head wouldn't ever flinch given Registeel's low speed combined with curse.
But that's why I couple Iron Head with Thunder Wave. You should see the responses from my opponents when I parahax them to death.

But I'll try out Umbreon's Registeel set.

-Terywj

Top Bottom