• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.1.4 Potentially Game Breaking/Competitively Harmful Glitches

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I am making this thread show the recent potentially game harming glitches found in patch 1.1.4.

Some of you may know about these already, but a few glitches have been discovered with Corrin and Bayonetta, and they aren't minor ones either. Glitches that could potentially get them banned in competitive play.

---

Here are said offenders...

1) Ungrabbable Bayonetta glitch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70onRz544c. Apparently something to do with the Z axis, and goes away on flat stages such as Duck Hunt and Flat Zone. However, it's a bug that needs addressing. Edit: It seems that more has been discovered on this. It's the fact that the characters are far too close to Bayonetta when trying to grab her. Dash grabbing from a normal distance works fine. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/454vxp/misconception_going_around_that_bayonetta_cannot/

2) Corrin infinite grab glitch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTzazKEEsbM

3) Corrin Side B momentum glitch (two examples of this have been found, so it was likely not a one off) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGz5AFbbK8o and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEX4MH_B1Zs.

---

I urge you all to Tweet and Email these glitch videos to your relevant Nintendo (UK, US, JP etc) and/or Sakurai to get these glitches circulated to them. I lack a Twitter account so I have just emailed Nintendo UK. I am bringing this up because if glitches like this are left in the game, it could harm our competitive scene.

Please, take a moment to do your bit and share with Nintendo, and as a community, let's get these bugs/glitches fixed. Thank you!

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu1hHD8buXA - in response to the bayonetta "glitch"

It's not really a glitch and more of an issue with the Z-Axis and bayonetta.

The "glitch" goes away on flat stages where there is no Z axis.

It's more of a quirk of bayo that should be addressed.
Hmm, interesting... thanks for shedding some clarity on that.

Still, it's a bug that needs fixing.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Did they seriously even test this DLC?
So you have Corrin with 2 game breaking glitches and Bayonetta with a pretty big one. Not only that, but the really big, detailed and deserved buff Marcina got in this patch in comparison to the... "nerf" the Top Tiers got makes me think they ran outta time when making this patch.
They can't just call it quits after that. It's like we were promised a house that would be finished in February. We got the house, but there are cracks all over the walls and it might fall on your head at any moment.
You ain't taking that and the engineer that worked on your house can't just say it's finished when that is going on.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Well, I really hope they fix this stuff. It would be so annoying if they left it in and it WOULD lead to the banning of Bayo and most likely Corrin, as well. Please, almighty Sakurai, fix this!

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
As I first clarified in the competitive smash page on facebook, the bayonetta "bug"is not in fact a bug and is a feature. In other words, it is 100% not an accident that Bayonetta scrunches up the way she does when she is in shield. Her z axis was probably designed that way do to her slow rolls and walk speed. Other characters also have their z axis in particular ways, at particular times that causes grabs to whiff, so it's not just mewtwo and bayonetta. This is a feature of the game and if you guys don't want Nintendo to get pissed at your accusations that it's a bug I would not share it.

The other two bugs are in fact bugs though, both of which involve corrin.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
As I first clarified in the competitive smash page on facebook, the bayonetta "bug"is not in fact a bug and is a feature. In other words, it is 100% not an accident that Bayonetta scrunches up the way she does when she is in shield. Her z axis was probably designed that way do to her slow rolls and walk speed. Other characters also have their z axis in particular ways, at particular times that causes grabs to whiff, so it's not just mewtwo and bayonetta. This is a feature of the game and if you guys don't want Nintendo to get pissed at your accusations that it's a bug I would not share it.

The other two bugs are in fact bugs though, both of which involve corrin.
Dude, no matter how you want to phrase it, not being able to dashgrab a character while they are in shield is a bug. Simple as that.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
What's happening with Bayonetta is the exact same thing with what's happening with Yoshi's grab in Melee.
And I'm fairly sure Yoshi's grab in Melee is considered glitched, so Bayonetta's is a glitch as well.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
it really hurts to see two unique fighters potentially get banned because of this, I hope they fix it.
If they don't, we'll just have to find a way to counter it

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
it really hurts to see two unique fighters potentially get banned because of this, I hope they fix it.
If they don't, we'll just have to find a way to counter it
Yeah, this is really depressing.
I really hope they fix this, this isn't anything small, and Bayonetta not being able to be grabbed from behind is a glitch and there's no beating around the bush to it.
What would make Bayonetta so special that she'd need that extra feature? Why would her get that and not any other character? It's not like she lacks power or anything to justify microbuffs like that, but one has to argue how "micro" a buff like that is when this is a thing that can happen.
This is the same video that was linked in the OP, but watch that video again and let that sink in. And some people call Melee glitchy...

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Hmm, interesting... thanks for shedding some clarity on that.

Still, it's a bug that needs fixing.
Dude, no matter how you want to phrase it, not being able to dashgrab a character while they are in shield is a bug. Simple as that.

A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result or to behave in unintended ways.
Please let's call this what it is.

It's an oversight. Not a bug.

The game's programming is working as intended.

I JUST posted a video showing it works on flat stages because the grabs can actually connect with Bayo's hurtboxes.

Last edited:

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Yeah, Bayos grabs are like some grabs in Melee. Some guy on reddit confirmed that it's because of the Z axis, and #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu said, we will have to test more until this is worthy of a ban. I'm leaning to the "wait and develop"

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Let's hope no measure is necessary and that a patch will be released soon to fix this.
Let's hope.
Hope is the last to die.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So how did that video happen then? Explain.
It's the deadzone that the picture I posted explained. She is getting up too close when she tries to grab her. It only mentions from behind.

You can always grab her in these situations but now there is a character that has a deadzone to her.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
It's the deadzone that the picture I posted explained. She is getting up too close when she tries to grab her. It only mentions from behind.

You can always grab her in these situations but now there is a character that has a deadzone to her.
So is this brawl Dedede all over again?

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Interesting, so for those of you that insist on calling it a bug even after multiple people have told you that it isn't (in other words being obstinately ignorant and spreading falsehoods), are whiffs on moves like dks forward tilt (and fsmash), and the fact that some moves out prioritize others, bugs as well? If you deniers of Truth want to be consistent, then find every case where one move out prioritizes another, and go tell Sakurai about ftilt and fsmash whiffs on dk (among whiffs other characters have as well) as bugs. Meanwhile I'm going to learn how to hit the ignore button.

Btw it's difficult to call it an oversight, with the way I assume the programming works I think it was purposefully done.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Interesting, so for those of you that insist on calling it a bug even after multiple people have told you that it isn't (in other words being obstinately ignorant and spreading falsehoods), are whiffs on moves like dks forward tilt (and fsmash), and the fact that some moves out prioritize others, bugs as well? If you deniers of Truth want to be consistent, then find every case where one move out prioritizes another, and go tell Sakurai about ftilt and fsmash whiffs on dk (among whiffs other characters have as well) as bugs. Meanwhile I'm going to learn how to hit the ignore button.

Btw it's difficult to call it an oversight, with the way I assume the programming works I think it was purposefully done.
It still looks weird and very awkward, and I don't think it happens to any other character to the extent and importance that it does to Bayonetta. This is why people want this looked at.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto

If it's a deadzone, that's just as bad. Most dash grab attempts will land close to the center of a character's hurtbox, anyway. That means that this will be quite common in competitive play. This is a glitch and a disgusting one at that. It needs to be fixed. Period.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
User was warned for this post
You seriously should just not talk. When someone explains to why something is not a bug yet you insist on still calling it that, honestly if I were a moderator I'd be giving you a warning for spreading falsehoods publicly, the consequences of which could cause bayonetta to be banned om a falsehood.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So is this brawl Dedede all over again?
In a way, a simpler example is Jiggs in melee can crouch to dodge grabs since her hurtbox is out of range of melee Sheik's Grab.

But more or less yeah it's the same thing.

Bayonetta's issue though is nowhere near as bad as Brawl D3's, you can still grab her reasonably just when you get right on top of her you can miss, where as D3 you could really only hit his one foot.

Or Melee Jiggs where Sheik could never grab her if she crouched and some other characters has similar issues.

Space it right and you avoid the issue, aka just don't be right on top of her when you go for a grab.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
You seriously should just not talk. When someone explains to why something is not a bug yet you insist on still calling it that, honestly if I were a moderator I'd be giving you a warning for spreading falsehoods publicly, the consequences of which could cause bayonetta to be banned om a falsehood.
If I were a mod, I would be telling you to shut the heck up and stop spreading slander. You are an incredibly disrespectful, arrogant person.

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
It still looks weird and very awkward, and I don't think it happens to any other character to the extent and importance that it does to Bayonetta. This is why people want this looked at.
It doesn't matter. You don't call it a bug, because you could potentially have a hand in banning the character when in fact it is not a bug.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
If I were a mod, I would be telling you to shut the heck up and stop spreading slander. You are an incredibly disrespectful, arrogant person.
There is no slander. Another falsehood. Mods?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If it's a deadzone, that's just as bad. Most dash grab attempts will land close to the center of a character's hurtbox, anyway. That means that this will be quite common in competitive play. This is a glitch and a disgusting one at that. It needs to be fixed. Period.
It's not gamebreaking is what I am saying.

You can get around it easily and the characters it affects is a lot more limited, unlike brawl d3 where everyone had to deal with that.

I don't think this will be as common when people know more about it since for some situations. In addition to it, it's a common issue people will know about, being way too close to her and Mewtwo. Some cases you have to literally be right on top of her to get this to happen which is what Sheik did in that video a few times.

Sucks it is a thing but it's a part of the character at this point, abide most likely unintentional.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
It's not gamebreaking is what I am saying.

You can get around it easily and the characters it affects is a lot more limited, unlike brawl d3 where everyone had to deal with that.

I don't think this will be as common when people know more about it since for some situations. In addition to it, it's a common issue people will know about, being way too close to her and Mewtwo. Some cases you have to literally be right on top of her to get this to happen which is what Sheik did in that video a few times.

Sucks it is a thing but it's a part of the character at this point, abide most likely unintentional.
I'm going to predict that she will be banned if this isn't fixed. Should we have just learned to "work around" Diddy Kong's grab invincibility after a multi-hit bug?

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
First, you want a mod to help you Here you go: @Mario & Sonic Guy

Secondly, explain how causing a character to not have movement not a bug. Also call an infinite grab in smash 4 not a bug, then get back to me

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm going to predict that she will be banned if this isn't fixed. Should we have just learned to "work around" Diddy Kong's grab invincibility after a multi-hit bug?
That was a lot easier to produce and literally could not be grabbed ever, where as this is fixed by simply spacing correctly by not being way too close to her.

Diddy could only be fixed by hitting his shield.

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Translation: hi guys let's ban bayonetta because I don't like that she has a feature (but I want to call it a bug so for all intents and purposes let's call it that!) Where she can't get grabbed under a very specific circumstance by 7 characters. Apparently mewtwo has this characteristic as well but I don't care about mewtwo, I just want bayonetta banned! Oh and apparently characters like falcon and dk and others can also whiff grabs against certain characters but I'm going to ignore that as should you. To sum up, anything I don't like is a bug and every other bug or oversight I don't care about and neither should you.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I mean, let's hope this gets addressed. If not, we'll see, but hopefully this won't be too hard to adapt to?...

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
First, you want a mod to help you Here you go: @Mario & Sonic Guy

Secondly, explain how causing a character to not have movement not a bug. Also call an infinite grab in smash 4 not a bug, then get back to me
I was very clear that corrin issues are bugs. Very, very clear.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
@Shaya please close this before the death threats come out?

Also, I don't understand, isn't the inability to grab a non-crouching opponent not intential?

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I also meant the bayonetta one. Also, how do you think Corrins is a bug and NOT bayonettas?
See posts 2, 7, 12, and 13, written by four different people, all of which tell you why it's not a bug.

Top Bottom