• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.1.1 Falcon Changes

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Alright, Falcons. New patch, new balance changes. What happened with the Captain?

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
I did a quick overlook of Falcon's damage data and nothing seems to have changed.

Husk94

Smash Rookie
Sheild stun has been increased in the game as a whole from what I hear.
1. Does this make bair on shield even less punishable
2. Does it make jab on shield safe. Or if u get jab 1 and 2 on sheild, does it make grabbing after even better

Curious as to what moves are safe now too if any

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
Been hearing about movement changes on Raptor Boost. Not home right now and I canT check. Anyone wanna try it out?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Sheild stun has been increased in the game as a whole from what I hear.
1. Does this make bair on shield even less punishable
2. Does it make jab on shield safe. Or if u get jab 1 and 2 on sheild, does it make grabbing after even better

Curious as to what moves are safe now too if any
1. it's definitely safer, don't know how safe though
2. jabs are probably still negative on shield, but they were already good for mixing up shield pressure, so they're better now.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Shield stun increased means:

Bair is safer on shield
Dsmash is probably safe on shield
Usmash can be safe on shield (character dependent)

Ahields will be slightly less dominant as a defense mechanism, which per itself makes grabbing less reliable as a threat for us to use
We won't punish sheik's, pikachu's and friends' aerials for life

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Here are Falcon's old frame advantage on shield courtesy of Gawain Gawain
Ground Moves:

Jab 3 "Gentleman"
-20 on shield, -13 if shield dropped
Ftilt
-20 on shield, -13 if shield dropped
Dtilt
-21 on shield, -14 dropped
Utilt
-11 on shield, -18 dropped
Fsmash
-33 on shield, -24 dropped
Dsmash(hit 1)
-24 on shield, -31 dropped
Dsmash(hit 2)
-14 on shield, -7 dropped

Aerial Moves:

Nair(weak hit)
~ -14 or so on shield, ~ -7 on drop
Note: Variance is due to how close to the ground you are when landing

Uair~ -5 on shield, +2 on drop(nice!)
Note: Variance due to landing. Also, note that it has an unusual 10 frames of hitlag, so the closer you
land the better

Dair~ -11 On shield at best, -18 on drop at best
Note: Variance due to landing

Bair
~ -8 on shield if you perform the move and land very close to the ground, -1 if they have to drop in this case
~ -7 on shield if you autocancel the move, 0 if they have to drop (NOTE: the advantage in this case varies TREMENDOUSLY based on character height, platform situation etc)
Note: Both situations for bair assume that you hit with the sweetspot

Uair was already -5 on shield so I guess It got even better. I think Uair, Bair and second hit Nair all have potential to be good pressure tools. Frame synced Dair and Fair might also be very good on shield but this is pure speculation and it's hard to pull off.

Edit : Lordwilliam1234 is doing the work for all the characters, right now for 1.1.1 he has finished Link and Ryu so I guess it'll be Falcon's turn sooner or later. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12a9yZTmAUrL17sL6BQC4DJiKUVN1s3jxsOlzBuyZdMo/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

EvanBuck

Smash Cadet
So I'm here because I'm ditching the nerfed Luigi in favor of the Captain himself. Any tips for a Falcon newbie? And any major changes I should be aware of in 1.1.1?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Oh my goodness, this is delicious! Shieldstun increase was one of my wishes. Now if i could just get them to add throw teching!

Fandangox

Smash Lord
I am really interested in seeing how the new game changes the metagame, cannot wait to see the game grow some more. Hopefully the lower-end characters benefit from the change a lot.

If shields will be less prominent now I wonder how it will affect Falcon's grab game.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I am really interested in seeing how the new game changes the metagame, cannot wait to see the game grow some more. Hopefully the lower-end characters benefit from the change a lot.

If shields will be less prominent now I wonder how it will affect Falcon's grab game.
A cursory review of Falcon from this patch:
Grabs are harder to get now because people are reluctant to get in their shield. So tomohawking is likely to become somewhat less effective over time. Up air is now quite safe as long as you don't fly right into them with it.

I believe that this along with less shielding is going to create MANY chances for falcon to land falling up airs. Which is actually amazing for Falcon because falling up airs have 10x the reward that grabs do. This is just a theory, but I believe optimal Falcon is now going to be a lot more aerial approach oriented. While grab will still be an excellent option, nair and up air will likely join bair as common and staple Falcon approach tools. I think this may actually make Falcon quite a bit better/more dangerous. We'll see.

EvanBuck

Smash Cadet
A cursory review of Falcon from this patch:
Grabs are harder to get now because people are reluctant to get in their shield. So tomohawking is likely to become somewhat less effective over time. Up air is now quite safe as long as you don't fly right into them with it.

I believe that this along with less shielding is going to create MANY chances for falcon to land falling up airs. Which is actually amazing for Falcon because falling up airs have 10x the reward that grabs do. This is just a theory, but I believe optimal Falcon is now going to be a lot more aerial approach oriented. While grab will still be an excellent option, nair and up air will likely join bair as common and staple Falcon approach tools. I think this may actually make Falcon quite a bit better/more dangerous. We'll see.
Can confirm from For Glory matches I played as Falcon. The dropping nairs and upairs work very well still, along with the usual bread-and-butter of the Captain. The mixed up ground game of grabs and tilts, with the occasional smash attack or down-b or side-b to kill, also still works well. Basically, we'll be a little less reliant on the grab game but it's still a good option. Falcon overall should be significantly helped by this update as it rewards characters that are more aggressive in their style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom