• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 1.0.5 Broke Online Play?

Mythicbirdthing

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, so I've been having problems with playing online and decided to see if anyone here could help. (I ended up making an account just for this issue so sorry if I've posted in the wrong place or something. I have no experience on the forums :p) Ever since 1.0.5 I can only stay online for 2 minutes before being disconnected with the notification "A communication error has occurred". I've run a couple tests to figure out the characteristics of my problem.
  1. I am always disconnected after a consistent 2 minutes (+/- a couple seconds) once I reach the online menu screen.
  2. Just before the "communicating with the server..." loading screen transitions to the menu it becomes noticeably laggy and can freeze up for a second. (I never recall this happening before)
  3. It is not triggered by anything as I have full functionality and can join matches, watch replays, spectate, etc. until the 2 minutes has passed.
  4. When I return to the home menu I still have internet.
  5. I can also surf the web and access the eshop with no issues.
I've gone to the eshop and forced a repair on the download even though it say it was fine. Still no changes. Its very frustrating not being able to play other people as I just decided to become a competitive smash player. If anyone has had this problem before, has a solution, or could even point me in the right direction to find help I would greatly appreciate it.

-Thank You

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Never had a problem like that. It worked fine for me until today (for some reason today I wasn't able to connect at all for te entire day) so sorry bro.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Not sure what your problem is, never heard of this.

Try going into data management and deleting the smash update and reinstalling (I think you can do this? Not sure how 3ds handles it - you might be able to delete it off of the SD card itself too). Perhaps some of the update files related to internet connectivity became corrupted when downloading?

Mythicbirdthing

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input, I understand its a very rare issue. I might try wiping smash as a last resort, but I'm hesitant because of something I discovered today. It looks like its not my specific 3ds or copy of the game that is the issue. I just had one of my roommates who owns smash but never plays update to 1.0.5 and attempt online play. He had the same issue I've been having which leads me to believe that, while it's still possibly related to 1.0.5, the issue is some aspect of my dorm's wifi connection. It's a little late tonight for me to test, but tomorrow I'll bring my 3DS somewhere else on campus and see what happens.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Disconnecting every 2 min seems new,though one of the few things that is getting more frequent post patch is there is a lot more lag than before.

Mythicbirdthing

Smash Rookie
So after doing a couple more tests, talking with nintendo, and asking my friend in IT it looks like this is probably a problem with my campus' wifi. We still don't know exactly how to fix it, but its been established its not a problem with smash since the same problem occurs with my pokemon oras game. When/if we figure out the solution I'll try to post it here for anyone else who has this problem in the future, but until then thanks to everyone for their input.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
Darn i was hoping someone else would answer this too, i havent been disconnected in this kind of situation but after the patch im getting horrible connections now, its starting to feel like brawl again where some matches are just constantly lagging and before this patch thing run much more smoothly, my guess is because of the servers being bombarded with pictures, replays, and Mii`s the only play is going much slower due to the traffic of information, Myth this is also why your connection is slower, when trying to connect it takes extra time to see if anyone of your friends list has sent something to you, even if theres nothing it still does this, and considering Nintendo would not make seperate servers, one to handle online matchmaking and another to handle shared data, the traffic is just to high and its making it worse....

its funny because this is exactly what happened to call of duty ever since they introduce "Teather" mode, the constant traffic of information started making the entire server Lag like hell, causing its eventual downfall, now the same is happening to Smash, as cool as these options are, they are slowing down the servers Hard :(

Aeruon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aeruon
3DS FC
1891-1220-5724
Though not like your problems, the update also came with a problem. Now it takes noticeably longer to access online. When the loading notification fades out, it lags awfully...

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
Though not like your problems, the update also came with a problem. Now it takes noticeably longer to access online. When the loading notification fades out, it lags awfully...
Maybe that has something to do with the new features? It used to just be people playing/watching matches but now the servers also have to handle people uploading Miis and replays.

Aeruon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aeruon
3DS FC
1891-1220-5724
Maybe that has something to do with the new features? It used to just be people playing/watching matches but now the servers also have to handle people uploading Miis and replays.
I can totally see that as why it's hapoening... oh well, the most important thing for me is stable online play and that's OK thankfully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom