• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

0RLy and The Amazing Team!

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Inspired by my good friend, Deff, a fellow member on swf, we have created a team that always seems to end a match with a spectacular finish. One of the goals was to include Pokemon from OU, BL, and UU tiers. Boring intro aside, I present to you: The Amazing Team!

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal/Adamant
252atk/212spe/44hp
-Spore
-Substitute
-Seed Bomb
-Focus Punch

Standard. Spore slower foes to incapacitate them and activate Toxic Orb to prevent future status ailments. Sub when the opponent switches out, followed by the appropriate move. The sub guarantees I get at least one free hit even when my opponent counters me. The extra turn also allows Poison heal to bring me back to 99% HP. If my opponent has faster Pokemon that has a sleep move (i.e. Gengar, Yanmega), I'll switch out to...

Honchkrow @ Choice Band
Insomnia/Adamant
252atk/252spe/4hp
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit
-Drill Peck
-Psycho Shift

Sort of standard. The best revenge killer that's immune to sleep! Comes in on a sleep inducer *cough Gengar*, and ***** it with Pursuit, then GTFOs asap. Did I mention Honchkrow is base 71 speed? It can outspeed max spe base 70s without a +nature. Psycho Shift on a choice'd pokemon? The reason is for the rare Pokemon with double status, *cough Gallade*. Should I get crippled with anything other than sleep, Psycho Shift returns the favor, then GTFOs asap. STAB CB Sucker Punch from a Pokemon with an attack stat equal to that of Heracross is the strongest revenge move that doesn't have costly effects (lol @ Sash+Explosion).

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Volt Absorb/Timid
252sp.atk/252spe/4hp
-Thunderbolt
-Substitute/HP (Ice)
-Agility
-Baton Pass

Provides needed speed for the slower Pokemon on my team. Volt Absorb also gives me a helpful electric immunity for Honchkrow. My ground weakness gives me a free switch to Honchkrow, if needed. Sub makes it safer to use Agility, but it sometimes just puts my HP right within range of my opponent's attacking move. I'm considering replacing Substitute with a different move. I'm also considering adding some more bulk, but Jolteon's defenses are about as durable as a snowman on a sunny day. Timid is there so I outrun all base 130s and scarfers that aim for 384 spe to outrun Weavile. HP (Ice) is now an option since I got swept by SD chomp.

Kingler @ Expert Belt
Hyper Cutter/Adamant
252atk/204spe/52hp
-Crabhammer
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-X Scissor

This guy is the main target for Jolteon's Agilities. After an Agility, Kingler outspeeds standard Deoxys-e, and kills it with X-Scissor. I kinda wanted Swords Dance in this moveset, but I knew that this guy is definitely going to take a hit after the Baton Pass so he's not going to stay for long after another stat boost. Kingler has really good physical defense, so it takes a physical hit on the switch, it'll be set to ****. The reason for Kingler? He has a very diverse movepool and gets a ton of coverage with his attacks. The speed EVs allows me to outspeed no EVs, neutral natured base 100 pokes, like Zapdos and destroy it with Rock Slide. Hyper Cutter is there to prevent the Intimidate from the Gyarados my Jolteon scared away.

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Trace/Calm
252hp/80sp.atk/176sp.def
-Psychic
-Wish
-Thunder Wave
-Will-O-Wisp

My supporting special wall. Wish helps me heal my much needed team mates, without whom, I wouldn't have a myriad of resistances to cover. Double status for whatever the situation calls. Burns help keep Gardevoir's lower defense stat worry-free. Thunder wave slows down my opponent so my other Pokemon can have a chance to sweep without being hit in return. Paralysis is my back-up strategy for Kingler. If he can't get a speed boost from Jolteon, Gardevoir will just slow everything else down. If Jolteon is passing speed, and the opponent is using special attacks, I can simply pass the speed to Gardevoir, who takes special hits much better than Kingler. Then, Gardevoir can quickly paralyze the foe. Either way, Kingler can get a much easier sweep. Trace is amazing, with it, I can counter Heatran by copying his Flash Fire and taking the expected fire move. Gardevoir is my all-in-one counter because of Trace.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Rock Head/Impish
252hp/120atk/136sp.def
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Stealth Rock

My physical tank. Outstalls everything and takes attacks as if they were nothing. If you're wondering where Explosion is, I don't use Explosion. Each of my Pokemon are valuable, none are worth sacrificing. Even a 5% HP Steelix has enough durability to survive a NVE physical attack on the switch. My second electric resist for my two electric weak Pokemon. Steel+Ground has a lot of weaknesses, but even more resistances. I needed Stealth Rock on my team to make revenge killing easier for my Honchkrow and Kingler. Icequake for coverage. Gyro Ball to kill off the scarfers that may outspeed Jolteon.

==========================================================

Simple threat list:
Status condtions: Breloom takes them after Toxic Orb activates, Honchkrow takes sleep, and Gardevoir might be able to take status depending on the ability she copies.
Fire: Kingler can take the physical ones and Gardevoir takes special hits like a champ.
Water: Kingler and Breloom don't mind.
Electric: Steelix and Jolteon both are immune.
Grass: Breloom and Honchkrow resist it.
Ice: See Fire.
Fighting: Gardevoir can handle both hits from each side of the spectrum.
Poison: Steelix is immune.
Ground: Honchkrow flies. Breloom doesn't mind it either.
Flying: Steelix handles it without a problem
Psychic: Honchkrow is immune, and Gardevoir handles it just as well.
Bug: Hello Steelix.
Rock: O hai Steelix. Breloom doesn't mind the hits either.
Ghost: Honchkrow says hi. Steelix says grasbfdlewntgr.
Dragon: Steelix.
Dark: Half my team resists this. Steelix, Breloom, and Honchkrow.
Steel: Half my team resists this also. Steelix, Kingler, and Jolteon.
Weather: Only Steelix resists sandstorm, and the whole team is hurt by Hail. Sun and Rain benefits nobody on my team.
Entry hazards: There are no spinners on this team.

==========================================================

Here's a link to a battle log from Shoddy: link
(Ignore the fact that it's the only thing there) comments have been added.
RMT!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
...wow. I really like this team! The coverage is amazing, like the team, and I could see this working. Would you mind if I made this in game? I really like the way it came out!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Cool! *Edit* Everyone's done

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Okay, so I finished this team (if you want to check it out we could battle/look at stats/whatever) and I have a problem. My friend has a Metagross with agility. It can outspeed almost everything and has 404 attack. Kingler can take 2 hits, as can Breloom (but barely) and Steelix can take a few...but everyone else seems to fall in one. What can I do to be able to beat the beast without having half of the team faint in the process?

0RLY

Metagross... why isn't this guy uber? Anyways...

Metagross @ Leftovers
Clear Body/Adamant
252atk/252spe/4hp
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Explosion/whatever

If you have Breloom out, spore it as it uses agility, sub+punch.
--Focus Punch: 70%-83%

Jolteon should outspeed Metagross even after an agility, tbolt away.
--Thunderbolt: 50%-59%; 2hko is guaranteed, 72% chance to 2hko with lefties

Gardevoir definetly should cripple Metagross with WoW, it will discourage him from sweeping.
--Psychic: 48%-57%; 88% chance to 2hko, 35% with leftovers

If you have Kingler out, you can outspeed Meta before it agilities. If you have a boost from Jolteon, you can outspeed it even after an agility. Crabhammer is the best option. Don't bother switching.
--Crabhammer: 42%-50% damage; 36% chance for 2hko with SR

Steelix should be able to hurt it with earthquake, but Metagross would probably win unless it's weakened. Meta outspeeds you.
--Earthquake: 56%-67%; 2hko is guaranteed

If you have honchkrow out, you're most likely choice banded to whatever attack you used last. Switch to Jolteon if you think it will agility, switch to anybody who can take a hit if you think it will attack. Honchkrow is great at finishing off weakened Metagross, since it has to attack you sooner or later.
--Sucker Punch: 55%-65%; 2hko is guaranteed, use this guy to clean up the mess, if you already used sucker punch during the match, pursuit should also do the same amount of damage if he switches

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
These tips really help...I'll be sure to battle him again soon. I do have one more favor to ask. He usually leads with a Drapion (the defensive kind) and uses toxic spikes twice before anything else. This same match I led with Joleon (which I'm thinking was a bad idea, as I lost) and he used Earthquake but I had subed. I used BP and passed to Honchkrow thinking he'd EQ again but he used Knock Off so my choice band was gone. Do you have any way of dealing with this thing before it gets out a toxic spike or two? I was thinking Focus Punch with Breloom or maybe spore then focus punch...If you need some background info, his team workes off of stalling until the toxic spikes kill you, like his Infernape knows Fake Out, Vaporeon with Protect, ect.

0RLY

Interesting team, since he leads with no spe, Drapion, Breloom should easily be able to put it to sleep first, setup a sub, and punch away. Breloom should always be your lead.

If by any chance his Drapion is still alive and isn't asleep, Steelix immediately poses a threat to it with EQ. EQ will almost KO Drapion, rendering it near useless.

Infernape with Fake Out = lol. Does it hold a Life Orb too? Is it a mixape? There are many great candidates on this team that can handle the ape. Gardevoir is a great option, Close Combat is ineffective and his special attacks barely dent her. The only threatening move ape may have is U-Turn.

Vaporeon is scared away by Jolteon. Don't bother subbing, go straight for the agility. If it stays in, punish with t-bolt, if it switches out, BP to an appropriate counter.

A tip for your friend: 1 layer of toxic spikes is generally better than 2, since toxic does less damage than poison in 2 turns, equal damage in 3 turns, and more damage in 4+ turns. Personally, I never keep the same pokemon in battle for more than 3 turns unless it's my opponent's last pokemon. You'll always want to be switching into counters and such.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
yup, Breloom was able to spore it. He switched when the sub was up and it was beautiful! I only lost one this time and it was a clean sweep. The Infernape holds a life orb, but is just a physical ape. Flare Blitz is quite painful, but Kingler can take the hit very nicely. Also, kingler landed a 2hko on Metagross, which was unexpected from both of us.

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
Off the bat, I see that you're weak to an SD Hera / SD Yache Garchomp sweep =[

Steelix is OHKoed by either after an SD, and most of your other pokes, barring Jolteon, can't outspeed them.

Your best bet is probably to play heavy prediction against Hera's CC to bring him down to Jolteon's OHKO range. But you'll still need to sacrifice. Or, for Garchomp, have Jolteon and Honchkrow dish out faster attacks and bring him down. But, again, you'll have to sacrifice.

I personally have bulky-gyra for both, if that floats your boat.

SilverSonic101

Smash Cadet
Nice team you have there. :) Compared to my team in Pokemon Diamond, yours is much better. Thanks for sharing your team.

0RLY

Thanks guys, but I only see this team being praised instead of rated. Is it really that good? Oh and thanks PraKirJaq, you're the first to actually give some criticism.

ss118

Smash Master
I would really go HP ice on Jolteon. It would be your best way to handle dragons, and that isn't much.

In general, this team wouldn't thrive in the current metagame. Looking at Garchomp, it easily runs through your team after an SD: Steelix, Jolteon, Gardevoir, Honkcrow, and Breloom all get OHKOed by it, and there's not a lot to be threatening this either. What should scare you silly is the Sub + leftovers version in SS. Nothing on your team outspeeds it except Jolteon, who get proptly OHKOed by dragon Claw or EQ. Everything else is setup fodder for the overused beast.

I would look into making this team a little more offensive: everytime you switch, you take an incoming attack, AND you also take any spikes damage or SR. What does the opponent lose: 16% at most, with LO and SS hurting it. While this may suffice in certain cases(as getting Honkrow in on Deoxys-e to kill it), often this will leave you on the losing end. Mixmence with SE, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Brick Break(a very common set) can hurt everything on the team while taking minimum damage. It doesn't need to do much except attack.

There's also the issue of an opponent setting up on your after your CB Honkcrow kills something. This is especially true of SD Lucario. This is one of the most dangerous and popular sweepers atm. It can come in after you offed that Gengar with Pursuit and proceed to sweep your team. I would suggest to use a LO with a Naive nature. Then add HP Ice somewhere so that Dragons don't set up for free.

Gardevoir is an excellent way to take down those dragons. However, it requires a high Defense investment with WoW. Trace helps with taking residual damage, and can help trap Dugtrio, who also goes nuts over this team.

I seriously doubt you could ever get far with this team. Maybe my suggestions weren't the greatest(hell, I'm in a rush, so sue me), but I should have illustrated my point as to how this team doesn't derserve the constant praisings. In fact, the whole of SWFs pokecenter has gone down the drain. I really miss W4M and others. T.T Celebii and Chill are still here, which I'm glad about though.

Voodoo Gabite

Smash Rookie
^ As that guy has said, it simply doesn't deserve all this praise.
While you may be all proud about your team, this team gets destroyed in the standard metagame.

No, Kingler can not handle Ice-types attacks with its poor HP and Special Defense, and Gardy will not stand for long against specific Ice type attackers.

You are also Mamoswine weak, Earthquake will smash all but Honchkrow and Breloom, which gets ruined by Ice Shard. Erm, Steelix falls to all Dragons that are mostly seen.

All 3 of the Dragons most likely seen will trash it with Earthquake, while Kingdra, although a rare sight will also kill off Steelix with Surf.

0RLY

Steelix survives an EQ from Garchomp, so I have no idea what you guys are thinking of. Steelix also survives 3 surfs from Starmie, so again, don't question his durability.

With age this team starts to look weaker and weaker because of the growing metagame. As of now, I can easily say this team is obsolete.

I just didn't want to use all OU Pokemon, Kingler could easily be Lucario, y'know? I already know that Kingler should only take physical hits.

boo836

Smash Cadet
In a castle, surrounded by a large solid bubble.
You can't really take on heatran. Steelix can't wall it and I don't think gardy stands too well to fire blasts. Especially boosted ones. Kingler might aswell soak in lemon juice, cause heatran will turn him into supper.

To cover this major weak, prehaps CMcune will help?

Mr.Postman

Smash Cadet
Simple threat list:
Status condtions: Breloom takes them after Toxic Orb activates, Honchkrow takes sleep, and Gardevoir might be able to take status depending on the ability she copies.
Fire: Kingler can take the physical ones and Gardevoir takes special hits like a champ.
Water: Kingler and Breloom don't mind.
Electric: Steelix and Jolteon both are immune.
Grass: Breloom and Honchkrow resist it.
Ice: See Fire.
Fighting: Gardevoir can handle both hits from each side of the spectrum.
Poison: Steelix is immune.
Ground: Honchkrow flies. Breloom doesn't mind it either.
Flying: Steelix handles it without a problem
Psychic: Honchkrow is immune, and Gardevoir handles it just as well.
Bug: Hello Steelix.
Rock: O hai Steelix. Breloom doesn't mind the hits either.
Ghost: Honchkrow says hi. Steelix says grasbfdlewntgr.
Dragon: Steelix.
Dark: Half my team resists this. Steelix, Breloom, and Honchkrow.
Steel: Half my team resists this also. Steelix, Kingler, and Jolteon.
Weather: Only Steelix resists sandstorm, and the whole team is hurt by Hail. Sun and Rain benefits nobody on my team.
Entry hazards: There are no spinners on this team.

NOB
NOB
NOB
NOB
NOB
NOB

0RLY

Gardevoir is immune to Fire after copying Heatran's Flash Fire ability. After that, I can paralyze it, heal my HP with Wish, and slowly stall it to death. Kingler is a gimmick. I would not say it's a good team, I would say it's solid. At least in the current metagame. Five months ago, it would be pretty good.

boo836

Smash Cadet
In a castle, surrounded by a large solid bubble.
I forgot about trace. ><;

But still, heatran gives a huge problem, if you have gardy, it won't matter as they can switch in a diferent poke and screw you over with a different poke. I also noticed a bad mamo weak too. But, most teams do. Steelix won't enjoy cb earthquakes though.

Bronzong covers the weak, but makes it easier for tran.

Also, your threat chart isn't too good, you want pokemon, not types.

The Postman

Smash Rookie
Oh GAWD?! This team needs alot of help. I couldn't believe the posts on the first page.

Your team has no way to counter Gyarados, Tyranitar, Garchomp, or Azelf.
You also have no Roar/Whirlwind so if you encounter a Baton Passer or a CroCune or any Cros that could cost you the game. Your team also pretty much gets walled by Cresselia.
Swampert also shows a threat with its Earthquake/Blizzard.

Top Bottom