• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ladies and Gentlemen...

Another gameplay stream tomorrow at 8 PM PST:
They're truly pushing it huh

I don't expect tons of gameplay or details here with the story trailer being super recent, but I'd be surprised if they don't show at least a few minutes of new footage.
Maybe they will show a few demons confirmations for the game that aren't gonna make it to the daily demon showcases, or the names and the official art for the side characters of the game, which we still don't know.

Daily Demon 34

If you know Irish myth, or just play FGO, Daily Demon 35 is no surprise that she's following.

As usual, he looks really cool.

A shame he doesn't have an unique skill animation (at least based on the video), but I'm not surprised. As I said, so far it seems only original demons created by Doi/demons with his redesigns, are the ones to get unique animations.

Excited to see Scathach, I mean, she was a lock considering Cu Chulainn is in the game, but she probably has one of my favorite designs.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
SmashBoards decided to just stop giving me notifications for this thread, so I missed a bit, but:

The demon showcases have been pretty cool, hopefully we get to see some more new designs soon, I've liked the new designs so far.

ATLUS has added English captions to the SMT stream from a while ago, so if you haven't watched it (like me, since I forgot about it) now's a pretty good time.

From the actual interview, the 10ish projects include research and development stuff, so... I'm not really sure what that means, but they mentioned Trauma Center which is pretty cool, and mobile games, which are... less cool (dx2 is actually pretty good though).

Honestly I'm also kinda burnt out on 'dark and edgy'-looking characters after we just got Sephiroth and Kazuya, and I'd prefer the cute hee-ho snowman thing to add a bit more variety and whimsy to the roster.

View attachment 323335
I like Jack Frost as much as the next SMT fan (if not a bit more), but he wouldn't be a good SMT rep in smash.

He doesn't represent any of the darker aspects of the series, and doesn't actually summon demons, which is pretty important (although they decided not to let Joker swap Personas despite that being a major ability in-game, so who knows).

He also has an OK amount of moveset potential, but nothing really specific to him. He tends to just use generic bufu (ice) skills, but can have loads of different moves inherited through fusion. So he has loads of moves he could use, but only the same amount as other demons from the series, with nothing unique.

If they had to choose a demon, I'd be really happy with Jack Frost (or the Jack Bros. as a duo or trio), and I'd 100% main him/them, but I'd much rather have a demon with a "cool" design, maybe with exclusive skills (and possibly from later in the game(s)).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think Jack Frost has some potential as a fighter but not by himself. I sort of imagine a moveset where he is the main character, the one that you control I mean, but other Jacks help him in some moves. I could see a gimmick around that.

But yeah, Jack Frost is definitely not the best option to rep SMT if you ask me. That would be like going with Morgana or Teddie instead of Joker, Yu or Makoto if you wanted to rep (modern) Persona games. Jack Frost at least has some logic behind it considering he's pretty much Atlus' mascot and I could see it as a cool plan B, if for some reason Sakurai wasn't able to get a SMT protag as the character. Otherwise I kinda feel going with him instead of a protagonist would be going with a cartoony character for the sake of it.

I mean, Jack Frost is the most iconic demon, no doubt, but it's kinda funny because he's cute and funny looking, but SMT games... are the completely opposite. So it would be really kinda awkward to rep a series of games that leans more into dark and creepy stuff such as post-apocalyptic worlds, clash of different ideologies or occultism... with Jack Frost, which is the pretty much the embodiment of "cute mascot" lol

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I feel if Joker wasn't in and we had yet to get an Atlus rep, then there might be some good reasoning to choose Jack Frost as a general company rep, but as Joke is a thing, I don't think Frosty itself would be a good way to represent MegaTen. Still, his omission as at least a spirit feels odd right now, hopefully if we do get a SMT protagonist he can get some sort of cameo through their moveset.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I feel if Joker wasn't in and we had yet to get an Atlus rep, then there might be some good reasoning to choose Jack Frost as a general company rep, but as Joke is a thing, I don't think Frosty itself would be a good way to represent MegaTen. Still, his omission as at least a spirit feels odd right now, hopefully if we do get a SMT protagonist he can get some sort of cameo through their moveset.
I feel like he'll probably get a spirit or mii costume even if we don't get an SMT rep, since V will probably at least have a spirit event to advertise it. It does feel weird to not have him in the game at all.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah. I'm convinced we'll get something SMT-related. I'd be surprised if we don't get, at least, a spirit event close to SMTV release. It could happen even if CP11 was a SMT character, to be honest.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I'm convinced we'll get something SMT-related. I'd be surprised if we don't get, at least, a spirit event close to SMTV release. It could happen even if CP11 was a SMT character, to be honest.
That's definitely possible, since both Dragon Quest and Persona had spirit events separate from their characters (it was only 1 spirit as a purchase bonus for their respective games, so I'd guess that would just be the Nahobino).

SNEKeater

Smash Master

The stream for today has ended. You can activate english subs.
It seems they're going to do more of these short videos to explain more things about the game regularly, which is very cool. Volume 2 of this series is for late August.

Here they introduce the side characters and talk about the new magatsuhi skill in battle. Also, we get to see a few new demons in action, including Demeter and Anahita.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

The stream for today has ended. You can activate english subs.
It seems they're going to do more of these short videos to explain more things about the game regularly, which is very cool. Volume 2 of this series is for late August.

Here they introduce the side characters and talk about the new magatsuhi skill in battle. Also, we get to see a few new demons in action, including Demeter and Anahita.
It looks good overall! I still like the human cast from what we've seen, though their core tropes/looks do slightly feel like what would happen if Clippy appeared and said "I see you're writing an ATLUS JRPG. Would you like any help?". The designs are good, just playing it the tiniest bit safe...

Love that the Strange Journey Redux demons got brought into this game. I really liked Demeter in that game; I'm excited to see her in this! Hopefully we get some cool unique demon dialogue with her...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It looks good overall! I still like the human cast from what we've seen, though their core tropes/looks do slightly feel like what would happen if Clippy appeared and said "I see you're writing an ATLUS JRPG. Would you like any help?". The designs are good, just playing it the tiniest bit safe...

Love that the Strange Journey Redux demons got brought into this game. I really liked Demeter in that game; I'm excited to see her in this! Hopefully we get some cool unique demon dialogue with her...
Yeah. Characters look cool tho I'm not really a big fan of the blonde friend's design. Maybe it will grow on me though.
If they keep showing story stuff I might just skip everything until launch tbh, except for the demon showcases lol.

As for demons, I truly hope they bring back Zeus, I mean Doi's version of him. We have seen Chiro, Demeter and Anahita in action today (Anahita looks great in motion, I'm happy), so I think it's safe to expect more creations from Doi.

Also, random but I'd like to see Susanoo in this game. I think he could look great in 3D.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah. Characters look cool tho I'm not really a big fan of the blonde friend's design. Maybe it will grow on me though.
If they keep showing story stuff I might just skip everything until launch tbh, except for the demon showcases lol.

As for demons, I truly hope they bring back Zeus, I mean Doi's version of him. We have seen Chiro, Demeter and Anahita in action today (Anahita looks great in motion, I'm happy), so I think it's safe to expect more creations from Doi.

Also, random but I'd like to see Susanoo in this game. I think he could look great in 3D.
Yeah, the blonde friend is the one who feels like most... "Okay" to me. I don't mind him or his look, but ATLUS... You really don't need a character like this in every single one of your games. I hope he surprises me, but it's just such a common archetype in ATLUS games...

I would enjoy seeing that Zeus! And yes, Anahita's animations look FANTASTIC. Super exciting to see them brought into 3D.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, I saw that, but didn't realize she was the first from her culture! Super cool and I'm glad they're expanding in that regard.

And yeah. Uh. Very creepy art. Would not fly in polite company.
Read at your own risk for the LORE

They're the Philippine version of vampires. During the day, they look like normal people, but at night, their bodies split in half, and the top half goes flying around, looking for pregnant women. They use their tongue to suck the unborn child from the mother's womb.

You were warned.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well let's get a quick summary for posterity:
Be sure to check out Gameinformer's more comprehensive look at the characters and plot
1626856653078.png
  • Protagonist's classmate
  • 3rd year highschool student
  • In the lacrosse club
  • Has had spiritual powers (a "6th Sense") since youth
  • Works with Bethel Japan
    • Alias: "the Saint"
  • Caring and kind-hearted personality
1626856799788.png
  • Protagonist's friend
  • Responsible, capable, assertive
  • Principled and upright
  • In Bethel's provisional combat unit
  • Protective of his sister, Miyazu, his only living family member
  • Swears to protect the peace of Tokyo
  • Obtains Demon Summoing Program
  • partner demon is Hayatarou
1626856992749.png
  • Protagonist's classmate
  • Cheerful, but socially awkward
  • Livestreams
  • Performs poorly in school
  • Regularly makes trouble for others
  • Finds new purpose in protecting Tokyo with Bethel Japan
1626857141619.png
  • Yuzuru Atsuta's little sister and only living family member
  • Concerned about bigger brother
  • Shy and reserved personality
  • Regularly visits nurse's office (to help or because she gets sick easily?)
1626857235256.png
  • Prime Minister
  • Chief of Bethel Japan branch
  • Shares physical appearance with Aogami
  • Calm, collected, strategic
  • Is the one that provides the Demon Summoning Program to the protagonist's friends
  • Works with angels
Theoretical timeline
  1. Protagonist's friends have a happenstance meeting and decide to walk home through the station together.
  2. Upon stumbling upon a grisly murder scene, they are forced to find an alternative pathway
  3. They meet Ichiro who happens to be livestreaming walking through the tunnel
  4. As they walk through, an earthquake occurs, transporting them into Da'at
  5. The protagonist wakes up alone and walks out, coming across a horde of Daimon
  6. Aogami shows up and fuses with the protagonist, forming the Nahobino
  7. After gathering all his scattered friends, he returns to real Tokyo and unfuses, where they meet Tao who explains their parallel realities and leads them to Bethel Japan, an elite anti-demon security organization lead by the prime minister of Japan
  8. There, they all decide to protect Tokyo from Da'at's demons with the help of the summoning program (though the Nahobino doesn't need it), besides Miyazu who Yuzuru deems is too dangerous for her.
  9. Daily life resumes
  10. Suddenly, demons invade Tokyo from multiple entry points, one attacks the highschool and kidnap several students, one of which is Sahori Kijima (shown below) and Miyazu.
    1. 1626857853659.png
  11. The protagonist, as the Nahobino tries to fight back but is dispatched very quickly.
  12. He is then given the personal option to save every student no matter what or to kill Sahori, eliminating the invading Lahmu demon in the process.
  13. A "legendary demon" awakens in Da'at at the same time, who drives the events of the plot.
Actions gradually fill up Magatsuhi, which allows the player to unleash powerful abilities for each individual member. Some of these attacks include
  • Powerful elemental skills that can crit
  • Almighty piercing attacks
  • Powerful full party buffs and debuffs
  • Healing health, status effects, and KOs even for demons in the stock
This ability is able to be used by enemies as well.

Oh yeah and the Nahobino can acquire a Matatsuhi Almighty attack called "Big Bang" which seems to be a tier higher than Megidolaon.
There will be easy exp and easy macca grinding maps as well.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Daily Demon 35!

Well, with Cu, we all knew Scathach would be in, and keeping up with the Celtic theme, next up's Queen Mab, who you may know as Queen Medb in FGO.
I really like Scathach's attack animation. It's badass.

Cool to see Queen Mab, I always thought she had a neat design.

About the new that dropped today, the dog demon seems to be Yuzuru's partner, but in the story trailer from last week we see him in action, during a combat. So I guess Nahobino will be able to use recruit/fuse him at some point?

Hayataro, the dog, also appears in the box art so he should have a significant role in the game.

Image:

I like the design a lot.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Daily Demon 36!

Queen Mab. I've always wondered why she looks so... odd in SMT, for someone who was supposed to be like, super beautiful and ****able in Irish myth lol.

Next up, is another member of the Oni Goon Squad, golden boi himself, Kin-ki.
I always enjoyed
her design, she looks kinda creepy. And after watching the video she sounds quite spooky, like, her voice feels like doesn't belong in this world lol

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Great post Idon. Very interesting theories there.

I personally don't think I'd really like for SMT V to be a sequel of Nocturne. I don't really know why but I think I'd rather V to be completely standalone.
Though I'd really welcome a Demi-fiend secret boss battle or something like that. Maybe Flynn instead. But if V is really a Nocturne sequel then Demi-fiend would make more sense.

He at least got the chance of being a secret boss in Digital Devil Saga, would be cool if now that spot was for Flynn. That way we would get our first HD model of Flynn as well lol
My theory is that the reason why we don’t have Nocturne spirits in Ultimate is because SMT V has to be related to Nocturne and Nocturne stuff will come with it when Nahobino comes to Smash.
I think this because:
1. Both games are Jewish based(Jewish myths and religious context have been in SMT before and after Nocturne, but not to the extent of literally grabbing Menorahs in Nocturne or the demon world in SMT V literally being called “Da-at”, both games are comically Jewish in a religious sense).
2. SMT V takes place 18 years after a war between angels and demons(Nocturne came out 18 years ago now)
3. Lucifer said God was dead already(works with TDE when you team up with Lucifer to kill God after the ending)
4. The Lucifer that said God was dead has the same design as Nocturne’s Lucifer despite a very recent redesign for Lucifer in IV and IV Apocalypse (even though demons are being redesigned left and right for this game and most of the redesigns from IV and IV Apocalypse are coming to V)
5. Nocturne being remastered after 18 years and advertised with SMT V to be pushed right in front of SMT V despite us waiting 4 frickin years for this game. They could have done the remaster years earlier if they just wanted to build hype for SMT V or get new fans into the series before it comes out.
6. Nocturne HD adding voice acting to a 18 year old game and characters despite that adding basically nothing to the game considering it is still a janky 18 year old game with tons of outdated concepts that most modern gamers barely tolerate at best.

We saw Lucifer die in the story trailer, they would not show the final boss dying so clearly in an early trailer. So given that this is a law themed game, who do you think could possibly be the final boss from the chaos side if it isn’t Lucifer?

It has to be Demi-fiend, the character that now has a new voice actor for seemingly no reason(the original Nocturne and DDS1 are mostly just grunts). And this makes sense because Nahobino and Demi-fiend are basically opposites destined to fight and kill each other(especially TDE Demi-Fiend and revived God Nahobino).

And considering we have voices for Dante and Raidou now too, maybe Atlus will throw them both into SMT V so they aren’t limited to a remaster of an old game.

They have shown basically everything we expect story wise for the beginning of the game to get us hyped in the first story trailers, so for the inevitable final story trailer in the fall Nintendo direct they have to be saving some pretty big things, and Demi-Fiend and maybe more previous protagonists and characters from SMT games showing up in SMT V would be the biggest thing for Atlus to do to generate maximum hype for SMT V. This IS the game that was born from SMT’s 25th anniversary after all.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
My theory is that the reason why we don’t have Nocturne spirits in Ultimate is because SMT V has to be related to Nocturne and Nocturne stuff will come with it when Nahobino comes to Smash.
I think this because:
1. Both games are Jewish based(Jewish myths and religious context have been in SMT before and after Nocturne, but not to the extent of literally grabbing Menorahs in Nocturne or the demon world in SMT V literally being called “Da-at”, both games are comically Jewish in a religious sense).
2. SMT V takes place 18 years after a war between angels and demons(Nocturne came out 18 years ago now)
3. Lucifer said God was dead already(works with TDE when you team up with Lucifer to kill God after the ending)
4. The Lucifer that said God was dead has the same design as Nocturne’s Lucifer despite a very recent redesign for Lucifer in IV and IV Apocalypse (even though demons are being redesigned left and right for this game and most of the redesigns from IV and IV Apocalypse are coming to V)
5. Nocturne being remastered after 18 years and advertised with SMT V to be pushed right in front of SMT V despite us waiting 4 frickin years for this game. They could have done the remaster years earlier if they just wanted to build hype for SMT V or get new fans into the series before it comes out.
6. Nocturne HD adding voice acting to a 18 year old game and characters despite that adding basically nothing to the game considering it is still a janky 18 year old game with tons of outdated concepts that most modern gamers barely tolerate at best.

We saw Lucifer die in the story trailer, they would not show the final boss dying so clearly in an early trailer. So given that this is a law themed game, who do you think could possibly be the final boss from the chaos side if it isn’t Lucifer?

It has to be Demi-fiend, the character that now has a new voice actor for seemingly no reason(the original Nocturne and DDS1 are mostly just grunts). And this makes sense because Nahobino and Demi-fiend are basically opposites destined to fight and kill each other(especially TDE Demi-Fiend and revived God Nahobino).

And considering we have voices for Dante and Raidou now too, maybe Atlus will throw them both into SMT V so they aren’t limited to a remaster of an old game.

They have shown basically everything we expect story wise for the beginning of the game to get us hyped in the first story trailers, so for the inevitable final story trailer in the fall Nintendo direct they have to be saving some pretty big things, and Demi-Fiend and maybe more previous protagonists and characters from SMT games showing up in SMT V would be the biggest thing for Atlus to do to generate maximum hype for SMT V. This IS the game that was born from SMT’s 25th anniversary after all.
I mean, it's definitely possible, but I doubt it.

The Demi-Fiend got a new voice because most (if not all) battle dialogue and noises got redone, and it would feel weird to leave him as he was.

Da'at has major differences to the Vortex World from Nocturne, so I doubt that they're the same place.

The Nocturne Remaster was definitely made to help build up hype for V, but they probably just chose it because it's a fan favourite, and it's the easiest to remaster, since 1, 2 and if... would either need to be completely remade, or have a lot of changes, and Strange Journey, IV and IVA would need to be changed to remove any dual screen stuff (and streetpass stuff). Nine could technically work, but nobody cares about Nine.

The stuff about Lucifer's design makes sense, and he could easily be Nocturne Lucifer. But I feel like after people hated the design in IV, they just chose the most popular design so people don't complain.

If we get Nahobino as a character, they might choose to just do demons as spirits since the most iconic ones show up in every game, or do what they did for Persona and just use new characters from SMT V (although Persona got Igor, so maybe we'd get Mido?). I could see the Demi-Fiend showing up though.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
If we get Nahobino as a character, they might choose to just do demons as spirits since the most iconic ones show up in every game, or do what they did for Persona and just use new characters from SMT V (although Persona got Igor, so maybe we'd get Mido?). I could see the Demi-Fiend showing up though.
Spirits for demons wouldn’t cover Nocturne HD though and Nintendo is not just going to forget that game after they went through the trouble of showcasing it.

Demi-Fiend is definitely getting a spirit and most of the supporting cast of Nocturne as well.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we got a SMT character I'm pretty sure at least most of the spirits would be demons. The exceptions I could see would be Stephen, and maybe Demi-fiend (if he's not the fighter) considering he's the most popular protag.

At that point I wouldn't expect side cast characters to get anything. Unless they decide to stick with one SMT game in particular for representation. In that case yes, if Demi-fiend/Nahobino were in Smash, I could see the side characters being the spirits.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Spirits for demons wouldn’t cover Nocturne HD though and Nintendo is not just going to forget that game after they went through the trouble of showcasing it.

Demi-Fiend is definitely getting a spirit and most of the supporting cast of Nocturne as well.
But using demons as spirits would cover Nocturne HD, as well as the rest of the series. Using the Jack Bros., Pixie, Cerberus, Cu Chulainn, etc. would represent the entire series better than using characters from specific games, since they appear in all of them, including spin-offs, and are arguably more iconic (even if that's partially due to Persona). I could definitely still see them using past protagonists as spirits, but it's not a guarantee.

That said, I would much rather have an SMT character be a protagonist rather than a demon, since you wouldn't really be able to represent summoning as a demon (although I did think of a way to implement negotiation and summoning into a Jack Frost moveset like 5 minutes ago, so it could maybe work, but my idea isn't great).

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Keep in mind that DQ spirits board mostly consists of common enemies across the series + DQXI characters (besides each Hero of couse).
It'd make far more sense to have general demons from the series the make the majority of the bulk of a potential SMT5 spirit board rather than have the cast of Nocturne take a good half of the slots just due to a recent remaster.
Even if they took a note of how P5 handled its spirits, it'd still focus on SMT5 cast and not have characters like Chiaki or Isamu taking a slot each.
Unless the demi-fiend himself is the last character, I doubt we'll see any of the major characters in Nocturne as spirits.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Keep in mind that DQ spirits board mostly consists of common enemies across the series + DQXI characters (besides each Hero of couse).
It'd make far more sense to have general demons from the series the make the majority of the bulk of a potential SMT5 spirit board rather than have the cast of Nocturne take a good half of the slots just due to a recent remaster.
Even if they took a note of how P5 handled its spirits, it'd still focus on SMT5 cast and not have characters like Chiaki or Isamu taking a slot each.
Unless the demi-fiend himself is the last character, I doubt we'll see any of the other leads as spirits.
Persona is also more character driven than SMT, so it makes sense for them to go with the actual characters. Also, a big chunk of the content was about Persona 5, so at that point there's not a lot of options for spirits to be honest.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I definitely would expect SMT to have demon-driven spirit selection, potentially with a "Hero's Party"-esque spirit that either includes the supporting cast of the protagonist added's game or includes the past protagonists in one united spirit...

Honestly, Nintendo "showcases" a lot of games and most of them don't get any content from their franchise in Smash whatsoever. Nocturne being represented through generic SMT content is more then most games Nintendo includes in Directs get.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was thinking: if we got a SMT character, and assuming demon summoning would be part of the moveset... which demons do you think they would pick for the rep?
Not the first time this has been discussed but to be honest I'm quite interested in this idea, and curious to see what others might think.

To what extend would demon summoning work, I don't know. Maybe it would completely manual, as in, maybe a menu pops up if you use Down B and you can select a demon for a brief and select selection of demons. Or maybe they automatically appear depending in which moves the character performs.

Obviously, Jack Frost is a given. Same goes for Pixie. But I feel the SMT character would at least have a few more, 4 in total?

Going with iconic/popular demons seems the logical move, but I kinda also think adding different aesthetics is important. I feel maybe Cu Chulainn would be a good compliment for Pixie and Jack Frost, so we could have a more "realistic" looking demon. For the fourth one I was thinking maybe a more disgusting one (but not as creepy looking to cause problems with CERO lol), but I don't know who.

What I can definitely imagine is the Up B being Pixie carrying the character, like Olimar's Up B lol

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I feel this still more or less applies with how I feel about demon summoning choices
I feel Pixie and Jack Frost are musts given their significance as the first demon you recruit and Atlus mascot respectively (although Black Frost could work too, maybe as a cameo that triggers for a certain % over normal frosty), everything else is a bit harder to guess, but I'd say a fiend should be part of his arsenal as well, Matador or Trumpeter if you were to ask me. Last spot could be something like Thor, Beelzebub or Metatron, even Futomimi if they don't mind referencing something more exclusive to Nocturne.
Only thing I'd add is an angel for the sake of law representation, if not Metatron maybe something like Power, Dominion or Throne.
Another popular demon like Cu Culain or Yo****sune could fit in as well.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Unless the demi-fiend himself is the last character, I doubt we'll see any of the major characters in Nocturne as spirits.
What I am saying is that my theory for why we don’t have Nocturne HD spirits is because SMT V is the sequel of Nocturne.

In this case Demi-Fiend would be the final boss and therefore a spirit for SMT V.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't think they'll be that directly connected even if they were marketed together. Rereleasing the first well-received 3D SMT in the lead-up to the newest 3D SMT just makes sense.

It's also entirely possible we won't get SMT spirits at all, for 3HD or V.

amageish

Smash Master
It's also entirely possible we won't get SMT spirits at all, for 3HD or V.
It's definitely possible, of course, but I honestly would be very confused if Smash ends support with no Jack Frost spirit. If they were still in touch with ATLUS to add Sophia almost 2 years after Joker came out, then I don't see why they wouldn't promote a game announced alongside the Switch itself with at least one png file...

It's still not a guarantee and there's plenty of things I find "kind of weird" in Smash that are never going to be resolved, but I still feel like they would have had Jack on Joker's board if they didn't have some plan in advance.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking: if we got a SMT character, and assuming demon summoning would be part of the moveset... which demons do you think they would pick for the rep?
Not the first time this has been discussed but to be honest I'm quite interested in this idea, and curious to see what others might think.

To what extend would demon summoning work, I don't know. Maybe it would completely manual, as in, maybe a menu pops up if you use Down B and you can select a demon for a brief and select selection of demons. Or maybe they automatically appear depending in which moves the character performs.

Obviously, Jack Frost is a given. Same goes for Pixie. But I feel the SMT character would at least have a few more, 4 in total?

Going with iconic/popular demons seems the logical move, but I kinda also think adding different aesthetics is important. I feel maybe Cu Chulainn would be a good compliment for Pixie and Jack Frost, so we could have a more "realistic" looking demon. For the fourth one I was thinking maybe a more disgusting one (but not as creepy looking to cause problems with CERO lol), but I don't know who.

What I can definitely imagine is the Up B being Pixie carrying the character, like Olimar's Up B lol
If they did 4 and the first 3 were Jack Frost, Pixe and Cu Chulainn like you said, the last one would have to be Cerberus in my opinion. He's iconic, and would offer different abilities than the other 3.

If they added Demi-Fiend, they could use his party from DDS, or give him the fiends or something.

I'd like a few of the more obscure demons as well, or at least some of the less obvious ones.

They could technically adapt negotiation and summoning to work if you were playing as a demon (probably Jack Frost) as well:

If you press down-b a demon summoner will appear (they could use any character who can negotiate with demons from mainline or spinoffs, and the one that appears is random each time). This can have a number of outcomes either at random or depending on the timing of a button press (like deep breathing). For example, you could heal a bit of health, get a buff, (maybe get more money after the match), or agree to join the summoner as a demon. For the last one, the summoner would fight alongside you like an assist trophy, with each summoner having different abilities, e.g. Demi-Fiend being slow, but really strong, and mostly using physical moves, while Aleph would be fast and use Sword and gun skills. They would leave after being killed, and maybe after a set period of time.

Top Bottom