• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

“I’VE GOT A GOLDEN TICKET!” - The Grandpa Joe Support Thread

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Welcome to the
Grandpa Joe Support Thread

FF3E5520-465B-41AF-9D77-92BD1B775191.jpeg

“I’ve heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true”

Who?
Grandpa Joe is a main character in the Warner Bros classic movie, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Joe is the grandfather to Charlie Bucket. Grandpa Joe was bedridden for about twenty years, causing Charlie and the rest of his family to go poor. He spent those years watching his own daughter and grandson try to get enough money to provide for the entire family. Grandpa Joe wished he could help his family in need, but his illness was too strong. Grandpa Joe used to tell Charlie stories about the wonders of Willy Wonka and his chocolate factory.

All of the family suffering started to change when Willy Wonka had a competition where whoever found a golden ticket in their own Wonka Bar, would get a tour of Wonka’s chocolate factory. Charlie was one of the lucky few to get his hands on a golden ticket. The news of Charlie getting a golden ticket got Grandpa Joe so excited that he leaps out of bed with joy and starts to sing and dance around, after twenty years bedridden. Grandpa Joe was Charlie’s plus one to go on Wonka’s tour of the factory.
D73B7EFD-4ECF-430B-9B8D-610525BC241E.gif

Moveset Potential?
When Grandpa Joe got out of bed, you can see how energetic and full excitement he is, he got up danced after twenty years in bed for crying out loud. Grandpa Joe’s moveset could basically have him dancing around. Below there is a video of Grandpa Joe during his song after getting out of bed.
Grandpa Joe could be charging at fighters, pushing them off the stage. Grandpa Joe could spin around, knocking anyone that gets in his way. Grandpa Joe could also spawn a chest and throw random items out from behind him (a reference to the Tom and Jerry crossover movie). Grandpa Joe’s main weapon could be his cane to whack fighters with. For his recovery, Grandpa Joe could drink a fizzy lifting drink to lift himself up into the air. When we learn exactly how the movesets work, I hope to make a complete Grandpa Joe moveset.

Why?
We all know Grandpa Joe is not the first choice for a Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory rep, but I think Grandpa Joe could be a fun joke character for MultiVersus. Imagine this up and about old man dancing around the stage, pushing characters like Superman and Bugs Bunny off the stage. Plus, MultiVersus could use some more anti-heroes.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never saw the movie but Grandpa Joe was my favorite character in the book. It could be interesting to see him in this game in some shape or form.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
i dont think warner brothers can use him
Warner Bros does not own the book/property as a whole, but they do own the rights to the 1971 movie (their version of the story). I could be wrong, but if they based Grandpa Joe off the classic movie, there could possibly be a chance in my opinion.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Warner Bros does not own the book/property as a whole, but they do own the rights to the 1971 movie (their version of the story). I could be wrong, but if they based Grandpa Joe off the classic movie, there could possibly be a chance in my opinion.
i thought someone had bought the rights to the movie from them?

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
i thought someone had bought the rights to the movie from them?
I tried to do some research

The book was released back in 1964. Wholper Pictures (the original company behind the movie) bought the rights to adapt the book into ONE film. Wholper Pictures wasn’t given the rights to keep making any sequels or remakes (from the sounds of it). Later, Warner Bros bought Wholper Pictures, allowing Warner to own the original film. When Warner Bros wanted to make the 2005 remake, they still had to approach the Roald Dahl estate. In 2016, Warner Bros approached the Dahl estate again to get the rights to make a Wonka prequel film. The Wonka film is set for 2023 and it seems like progress is continuing on the film.

In 2021 however, Netflix bought the Ronald Dahl Story Company. The website says, “The Roald Dahl Story Company Ltd manages the copyrights and trademarks of author Roald Dahl and works with publishers, film-makers, theatre producers, merchandisers and other licensees worldwide”. It’s unknown for sure, but I guess the estate and story company are the same. A few years earlier, Netflix already bought the rights to make a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory animated series. This company acquisition gives Netflix the rights to every book by Ronald Dahl and decide the fate about who gets the rights to what in the future.

So Warner Bros owns their version of the movie, while Netflix owns the property as a whole, right?
3FF72C64-1790-47CB-BC65-8772D675FE07.jpeg

Maybe?
Everything I just mentioned changes when we look at Tom & Jerry: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (2017). This was a direct-to-video movie produced by Warner Bros Entertainment. This film is basically a retelling of the 1971 classic film, the big change is that Tom and Jerry are now apart of the story. This also includes new plot points never seen in the original film. I researched the movie and there is not a single mention in the intro or outro of the Dahl estate or The Roald Dahl Story Company. However, at the very end of the movie, you can see the following:

“CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and all related characters and elements are trademarks of WBEI”.​

This raises even more questions about the property and film rights.

Whatever I say below is heavy speculation by me:

Warner Bros owns everything relating to the 1971 movie, but they can’t do anything except retell/adapt their own original story. I also don’t think Netflix has any rights to anything originally created by Warner Bros (Wholper Pictures), even when they own the Roald Dahl Story Company. They are both basically at a stand still. Netflix can really only use anything that was in the book (including what Wholper Pictures borrowed as well) & what they create themselves.

Now back to the most important question, could Grandpa Joe or any other Wonka character enter MultiVersus. It’s still not a for sure thing about what they can or can’t do. My guess is that Warner owns everything from the movie, including their own versions of Willy Wonka, Charlie, Grandpa Joe, etc. Just because Warner Bros owns the 1971 version of Grandpa Joe, doesn’t mean they own the book or future versions of Grandpa Joe. After all the research, I don’t think there are any rights issues holding 1971 Grandpa Joe back. Even though I think they can only retell the story, I do think they can still use the characters for stuff like MultiVersus. I probably wouldn’t expect him to show up in a story mode though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In 2021 however, Netflix bought the Ronald Dahl Story Company. The website says, “The Roald Dahl Story Company Ltd manages the copyrights and trademarks of author Roald Dahl and works with publishers, film-makers, theatre producers, merchandisers and other licensees worldwide”. It’s unknown for sure, but I guess the estate and story company are the same. A few years earlier, Netflix already bought the rights to make a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory animated series. This company acquisition gives Netflix the rights to every book by Ronald Dahl and decide the fate about who gets the rights to what in the future.
ah thatll be what i was thinking of

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
I made this custom Grandpa Joe fighter description (based on the MultiVersus website).
5FD4F24A-EFF9-4D4B-A004-74AB42C91840.jpeg

I used the Tom & Jerry Grandpa Joe, because it’s the closest I could think of that could match cartoony style of MultiVersus. The special move names are references to his iconic song. I think sword like weapon wielders are in the assassin class, so Grandpa Joe would technically be an assassin. The tagline is from a random meme I found on Google Images. I tried to find the original source, but I think their account got deleted (source). I couldn’t use the exact fonts so I used the closest I could find. Below is a second image, technically more exact to MultiVersus, but I felt like the above image looked better.
11F3C5EB-4BE9-4F53-A1B9-C39EC718F30F.jpeg

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I made this custom Grandpa Joe fighter description (based on the MultiVersus website).
View attachment 344340
I used the Tom & Jerry Grandpa Joe, because it’s the closest I could think of that could match cartoony style of MultiVersus. The special move names are references to his iconic song. I think sword like weapon wielders are in the assassin class, so Grandpa Joe would technically be an assassin. The tagline is from a random meme I found on Google Images. I tried to find the original source, but I think their account got deleted (source). I couldn’t use the exact fonts so I used the closest I could find. Below is a second image, technically more exact to MultiVersus, but I felt like the above image looked better.
View attachment 344342
did you make the image yourself or did you get it somewhere? specifically of grandpa joe i mean

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
did you make the image yourself or did you get it somewhere? specifically of grandpa joe i mean
The image of Grandpa Joe comes from the Tom & Jerry: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie. I cut Grandpa Joe out of a image from the movie.

I also took the background from the MultiVersus website. Everything else I completely made myself (except the idea for what to use as the main tagline).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The image of Grandpa Joe comes from the Tom & Jerry: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie. I cut Grandpa Joe out of a image from the movie.

I also took the background from the MultiVersus website. Everything else I completely made myself (except the idea for what to use as the main tagline).
ah ok. i feel like i should be surprised there was a tom and jerry and the chocolate but for some reason im not

Top Bottom