• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's alt costumes

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
That's different though because if you are playing animal crossing or the wii fit you get to choose which gender you'd prefer for that character-- it's customizable. It's put in for the gender diversity of those characters. Where as Zelda is female all round.
Little Mac also has his pink hoodie.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
But they show that sakurai does in fact have the ability to do it, so why shouldn't he? As I said before if a group of modders can do it then I see no reason they can't
It was because of the gender diversity of those characters, so it was a must to have both a male and female representation of those characters.
Obviously they have the ability to do it (create new models) but history shows that they have never done it when they really didn't have want to. I'd say they're probably pressed for time or you know laziness (they are only human, lol)

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Read a few posts back. That's not a new costume rather an edit of his existing model.
Yes, but it's not just a quick reskin, they actually added it to his model. They would probably never make full, brand new models for an alt that is just an outfit for a character. Like, if Zelda got an alt, they would most likely just change the dress/accessories, not make an entire new model for the character.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It was because of the gender diversity of those characters, so it was a must to have both a male and female representation of those characters.
Obviously they have the ability to do it (create new models) but history shows that they have never done it when they really didn't have want to. I'd say they're probably pressed for time or you know laziness (they are only human, lol)
But they never have done it, I mean there was wario but that's only there because sakurai chose his wario ware design and kinda had to include his regular appearance too

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but it's not just a quick reskin, they actually added it to his model. They would probably never make full, brand new models for an alt that is just an outfit for a character. Like, if Zelda got an alt, they would most likely just change the dress/accessories, not make an entire new model for the character.
This is exactly my point--I said exactly this, post#437. I suggest you read back 9 posts.

But they never have done it, I mean there was wario but that's only there because sakurai chose his wario ware design and kinda had to include his regular appearance too
Look, obviously they could create whole new models if they would like to, but new models take time to develop and tweak. Even in ssbb Wario's skin was pretty much just an edit.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Did someone forget Lucina was an Alt for Marth?

I think Sakurai is not opposed to making new models for existing characters as Alts.
Changing voices and names are also not taboo, he just decided to make her seperate rather than keep her the same.
Sadly.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
This is exactly my point--I said exactly this, post#437. I suggest you read back 9 posts.

Look, obviously they could create whole new models if they would like to, but new models take time to develop and tweak. Even in ssbb Wario's skin was pretty much just an edit.
I've said this countless times but if a group of modders can do it, they can too. I expect them to put effort into the alts and not just change the textures and try and pass it off as one. This game is big, has a big budget and a big dev team, there is zero excuse

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867

I guess something like this?

Though I do think if we're to get an OoT Zelda alt it may look something like this?

That would make 3 blond haired alts (SS, OoT, Purple/Blond) and 4 brunettes (Default, blue, green, red) and then grey hair if grandma Dark Zelda returns.

View attachment 21079
Grandma. :rotfl:

Those colours look pretty good. Almost legit, tbh.
You're a damn good photoshopper. I can't even figure out how to undo changes on that blasted program.
Aside from that, I think an SS alt will replace an OoT alt. I wouldn't be thrilled with the decision, but meh. Stuff happens.

But hopefully it will be possible to have more than 6 alts for not only Zelda, but everyone. Little Mac has heaps already, since the four shown from the demo plus the wireframe and pink jumpsuit. It would be nice for everyone to have more alts than they have already had in previous installments.

Especially Pikachu. Four alts only for every game? Thats just stupid.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I've said this countless times but if a group of modders can do it, they can too. I expect them to put effort into the alts and not just change the textures and try and pass it off as one. This game is big, has a big budget and a big dev team, there is zero excuse
You are correct they could do it. But they're lazy when it comes to alt costumes. I mean it's obvious that they don't like to put much effort into alts, Link was just a resin, Mario a resin, ect..
Did someone forget Lucina was an Alt for Marth?

I think Sakurai is not opposed to making new models for existing characters as Alts.
Changing voices and names are also not taboo, he just decided to make her seperate rather than keep her the same.
Sadly.
Note how all the alts have been the opposite gender counterpart of the character though, they're really trying to be more gender diverse this iteration.
  • Villager-- Male and female alt
  • Wiii Fit Trainer-- Male and female alt
  • Marth too was going to have a female alt but they scrapped it in favour of making her a new character.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Grandma. :rotfl:

Those colours look pretty good. Almost legit, tbh.
You're a damn good photoshopper. I can't even figure out how to undo changes on that blasted program.
Aside from that, I think an SS alt will replace an OoT alt. I wouldn't be thrilled with the decision, but meh. Stuff happens.

But hopefully it will be possible to have more than 6 alts for not only Zelda, but everyone. Little Mac has heaps already, since the four shown from the demo plus the wireframe and pink jumpsuit. It would be nice for everyone to have more alts than they have already had in previous installments.

Especially Pikachu. Four alts only for every game? Thats just stupid.
Haha I actually didn't photoshop the SS Zelda: Feel like I should point that out, I don't want to take creds for others work.

Ideally it would be optimal to have both SS and OoT Zelda alt.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Unexpectedly we will receive Yuga as Zelda alt then?

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867

This was posted a few pages back (credit to 'urbandayz'). It's not fully completed, but it would be awesome to see something like this as an alt.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

This was posted a few pages back (credit to 'urbandayz'). It's not fully completed, but it would be awesome to see something like this as an alt.
If zelda were to get an alt, hilda would by far be the best choice, I mean a little ALBW promotion would be nice, since it's likely not getting a stage

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
If zelda were to get an alt, hilda would by far be the best choice, I mean a little ALBW promotion would be nice, since it's likely not getting a stage
I hope for Lorule Castle to be a stage on 3DS. And I really want a Hilda skin for Zelda too, but if they gave Zelda a Hilda skin then they'd probably have to give Link a Ravio skin. But the problem is is that Link already has a purple tunic, so it wouldn't work. :ohwell:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I hope for Lorule Castle to be a stage on 3DS. And I really want a Hilda skin for Zelda too, but if they gave Zelda a Hilda skin then they'd probably have to give Link a Ravio skin. But the problem is is that Link already has a purple tunic, so it wouldn't work. :ohwell:
Although ravio is just link with black hair and green eyes, I doubt the purple cloak thing is his normal attire so who knows maybe they'll just make the tunic black. That'd be a good replacement for dark link imo
I think link with black hair, tunic and green eyes would look awesome
Hell if they wanted to go full alt they could give him the ALBW hair and tunic

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
The thing is Hilda is much in the same boat as Midna was. Plus Zelda in purple is already spoken for so Hilda is highly unlikely.
I find it strange how little they've done to advertise anything relevant to Zelda right now, No ALBW inclusion or anything.
Does anyone else think that they should have made the Zelda character models for the 3ds version OoT or ALBW?

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The thing is Hilda is much in the same boat as Midna was. Plus Zelda in purple is already spoken for so Hilda is highly unlikely.

I find it strange how little they've done to advertise anything relevant to Zelda right now, No ALBW inclusion or anything.
Does anyone else think that they should have made the Zelda character models for the 3ds version OoT or ALBW?
How is she anywhere near midna's position? hilda is an alternate dimension version of zelda that looks almost exactly like her, midna has no connection to zelda

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
How is she anywhere near midna's position? hilda is an alternate dimension version of zelda that looks almost exactly like her, midna has no connection to zelda
Look Hilda is not Princess Zelda, She is a completely different character personality and looks wise. Hilda has no connection to Zelda at all really either. Hilda is NOT Zelda. Midna is also not Zelda, and she wasn't included in brawl, Hilda will not be included in ssb4. It's an awesome idea but its not going to happen.

Also Hilda is only in one game. You don't see Marin as a playable character do you, for much the same reason.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Look Hilda is not Princess Zelda, She is a completely different character personality and looks wise. Hilda has no connection to Zelda at all really either. Hilda is NOT Zelda. Midna is also not Zelda, and she wasn't included in brawl, Hilda will not be included in ssb4. It's an awesome idea but its not going to happen.
Hilda does have a clear connection to zelda, she's an alternate dimension version of her. Plus lucina isn't marth either yet she was intended to be a marth alt, with that the idea that different characters can't be alts of others isn't a thing anymore

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Hilda does have a clear connection to zelda, she's an alternate dimension version of her. Plus lucina isn't marth either yet she was intended to be a marth alt, with that the idea that different characters can't be alts of others isn't a thing anymore
Well he did opt to make her her own character for a reason. Hilda could happen if she became the "Daisy" of the Zelda franchise but I don't see that happening anytime soon. She was a standalone character in one game, you don't see midna and marin as playable for much the same reason, they were in one game!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well he did opt to make her her own character for a reason. Hilda could happen if she became the "Daisy" of the Zelda franchise but I don't see that happening anytime soon. She was a standalone character in one game, you don't see midna and marin as playable for much the same reason, they were in one game!
They chose to make her separate because she's popular and different enough to deserve a slot, hilda clearly isn't, so if she was meant to be an alt at the start of development she likely would've stayed that way and would've not gotten her own slot

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
They chose to make her separate because she's popular and different enough to deserve a slot, hilda clearly isn't, so if she was meant to be an alt at the start of development she likely would've stayed that way and would've not gotten her own slot
Look Hilda was in one game, is only going to be popular for a little while, then fizzle out and become much like Marin. They're not going to include her.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Look Hilda was in one game, is only going to be popular for a little while, then fizzle out and become much like Marin. They're not going to include her.
Why do you feel the need to try and crush people's ideas? The point of this thread is to speculate multiple possible ideas. While you feel the need to shoot down any idea that isn't SS zelda, I'm about done with this thread, so see ya

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Why do you feel the need to try and crush people's ideas? The point of this thread is to speculate multiple possible ideas. While you feel the need to shoot down any idea that isn't SS zelda, I'm about done with this thread, so see ya
What do you want me to say? Like honestly, I said it was a cool idea! But that I couldn't see it happening, that's my opinion. If you don't like it then fine. Good Bye.

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
But they show that sakurai does in fact have the ability to do it, so why shouldn't he? As I said before if a group of modders can do it then I see no reason they can't
Mostly it's going to be about the deadlines. It's easy to have a lot of focus on the new characters and there alts since they were built from the ground up, while most of the veteran fighters maybe only have one or two changes but otherwise are taken from Brawl/melee counterparts. Some could say this means there's more time to spend on their alts, but we can't know until the game comes out.

Honestly, I'm most curious about someone like Donkey Kong. Zelda at least has some alt appearences that can be likely, but Donkey Kong... different tie?

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Honestly, I'm most curious about someone like Donkey Kong. Zelda at least has some alt appearences that can be likely, but Donkey Kong... different tie?
No tie!

And you can say that its alternate costume is retro DK hehe

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
The best idea I can muster for somebody like Donkey Kong would be changing the colour of his fur or tie, yeah, although for a full model remake, something like an arcade appearance from the original Donkey Kong would be hilarious, if perhaps far-fetched. Still, that's getting a bit off topic on this thread, as fun as it is. Perhaps there's a thread somewhere for alternate costumes in general.

As for Zelda, a full Hilda remodel personally sounds a bit unnecessary because although Zelda and Hilda are indeed completely different people, their appearances are meant to look similar, so a simple colour swap would probably suffice (although the staff, cape, and crown would be nice touches). Heck, Twilight Princess Zelda looks more like Hilda than A Link To The Past or A Link Between Worlds' Zelda does in ways, like how she has no bangs and her dress is sleeveless with long gloves.

I do feel that the complete lack of an OoT colour revealed for Zelda so far might indicate that they might be making a slight model rework, ie. a high collar, slightly altered hair, etc. like the one Zeldaisthegirl posted a few posts back. Can't imagine them completing a complete remodelling for somebody like OoT Zelda because it's not like her appearance is even overly different between OoT and TP -- both Zeldas share dresses that are practically the same, aside from the collar and colour (sleeveless dress, tunic over top of the bodice, golden spaulders over the shoulders, little sash thing in front with the Royal Family crest, tiara, etc.) The Skyward Sword Zelda would better warrant a complete model rework since her dress is indeed the most different from her TP look, since she has no spaulders, her dress has long sleeves, and everything is generally less ornate since she isn't even a princess. That, and her hair is completely different. Still, there's no telling whether they would go through the effort to give a character like Princess Zelda so much effort in the costume department, considering her track record of getting the short end of the stick. Whether they would actually go through the trouble of remodelling Zelda is a whole other can of worms. Still, we can always hope...

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
I photoshopped her character art to the extent to which I can imagine some sort of OoT rework -- ie. colour swap and a collar.
Did a pretty rushed job on the collar but whatever.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I photoshopped her character art to the extent to which I can imagine some sort of OoT rework -- ie. colour swap and a collar.
Did a pretty rushed job on the collar but whatever.
840150.gif

I want this costume so badly! Though I think they could add her zig zag hair thingies and giver her her long hair without the braid.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
DLC maybe? Not just new colours though, completely new skins like the OoT Zelda. They'd earn more money that way, and we'd have the satisfaction of a new alt. Everyone wins. :b:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
What do you want me to say? Like honestly, I said it was a cool idea! But that I couldn't see it happening, that's my opinion. If you don't like it then fine. Good Bye.
My problem is that you feel the need to go out of you're way and say that it's not gonna happen, we realize that, we realize that it's not likely. But can we not talk about it without you shutting us down? It's just an idea, which is the point of this thread, to share different ideas

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
My problem is that you feel the need to go out of you're way and say that it's not gonna happen, we realize that, we realize that it's not likely. But can we not talk about it without you shutting us down? It's just an idea, which is the point of this thread, to share different ideas
Well with Little Mac having two to three alts on his own, it seems like you'd have to give the other characters at least one alt or more preferably two or three.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Well with Little Mac having two to three alts on his own, it seems like you'd have to give the other characters at least one alt or more preferably two or three.
The thing is that Zelda's appearance radically changes between games where as little mac has looked the same forever. So these "alts" are just little things added to the pre exiting model. With Zelda they'd have to create a whole new character model. The only Zelda's that look anything alike really would be OoT and TP.

So maybe OoT Zelda would be the most likely alt? But then Link did get a SS skin so I don't know.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
The thing is that Zelda's appearance radically changes between games where as little mac has looked the same forever. So these "alts" are just little things added to the pre exiting model. With Zelda they'd have to create a whole new character model. The only Zelda's that look anything alike really would be OoT and TP.

So maybe OoT Zelda would be the most likely alt? But then Link did get a SS skin so I don't know.
Yeah if Link got the SS treatment Zelda at least has a chance of getting it. Her appearance in that game is certainly different and Linl's SS maybe didn't require as much work, but hopefully they'll put in the extra effort for it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, the OoT color swap was in Brawl, so it might return in Smash 4. And the differences might be more noticeable with Smash 4's vibrant colors.

If I'm not mistaken, she was in the E3 demo, right? Every character had 4 swaps in the demo. Did we see all of hers? I remember seeing Mario's, Luigi's, and Megaman's.

Top Bottom