• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
welp i might have an addiction to brawlhalla i think im a sucker for decent platform fighters I blame smash 64 being my first video game ever

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
You adapted to crazy conditions by punching it in the face and dodging attacks without dropping the combo. Possibly while riding a motorcycle or surfing on a piece of wood. It's what the entire combat system was built around.

It wasn't really a matter of mixing up your combos, it was about extending them. Later on in the game, it typically involved somewhat intricate combos and constantly quick swapping your weapons to the stylish finisher of your choice. That's what made Bayo such a good game, figuring out ways to string everything together.

Say what you want about her current competitive viability, but to say she's closer to her source materialat now than she was before is nonsense.
Ooh baby you're so blunt, I could use your post to play baseball.

Last edited:

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
Is it weird that I don't find Falcon to be a "rush-down character" like he is normally categorized? All falcons seem to do is use their 50/50 dash attack or dash grab to get you in the air then perform strings. You hardly ever fight him up close because he just runs from a far distance away and grabs/dash attacks you.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
All falcons seem to do is use their 50/50 dash attack or dash grab to get you in the air then perform strings. You hardly ever fight him up close because he just runs from a far distance away and grabs/dash attacks you.
TRIGGERED.

Don't forget jumping around and spamming BAir. WHICH HAS ENOUGH RANGE TO SPACE ZELDA. *ptsd flashbacks of being completely unable to combat BAir camping falcon at high percent*

If it matters, KuroganeHammer's CF page denotes his style as "Bait+Punish/Mixup"

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Oh, my main in Splatoon got nerfed again. Even though nobody uses it. ;_;
Also Stealth Jump got nerfed even though that's already one of the worst abilities.

Can the person that deals with game balancing at Nintendo be fired immediately? Please.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I haven't been here for a while, what's up gorls?
:196:
Im just being triggered by remembering past FG CF experiences. :secretkpop:

But srsly what kind of incompetent gorl am I. I can't even beat a falcon just because he sits back and spams BAir

Is it fair to being up the point that I was playing as Zelda?

Also transparent text 4 top tire secret conversations in conversations.

Like, the SBphiloz baka is obviously into Berserker, but then Berserker is caught in the Lavani harem. Love drama!!!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is it weird that I don't find Falcon to be a "rush-down character" like he is normally categorized? All falcons seem to do is use their 50/50 dash attack or dash grab to get you in the air then perform strings. You hardly ever fight him up close because he just runs from a far distance away and grabs/dash attacks you.
Captain Falcon does play rushdown, but I guess this has a problem with how rushdown is defined... This one, https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games, defines rushdown as: "The complete opposite of turtling, a rushdown style is considered to be completely offensive, often using a huge variety of mix up, pressure and mind games to force an opponent into a suboptimal defensive situation, seeking to create openings and watch for sudden mistakes to capitalize with proper, devastating punishment. Because of its overtly offensive, flashy nature, rushdown is generally considered to be a very entertaining -- if risky -- style of fighting. The King Of Fighters is a game acknowledged for having a universal system of movements that allow an evolved form of rushdowns."

On Shoryuken, http://shoryuken.com/glossary/, rushdown is defined as: "A style of play that revolves around attacking quickly to make the opponent guess what you are going to do. Often goes hand-in-hand with mixup. Certain characters play better with a rushdown style, such as Akuma and Makoto in SF3." Both of those do apply to Captain Falcon. I think the problem is has more to do with semantics and how people define stuff. So, for rushdown, by its definition, does involve baits, mixups, and pressure which characters like Captain Falcon, Cloud, Fox, Little Mac, and more do. The thing is that rushdown tends to get associated with high speed offense and shield pressure which not all characters who are really fast do like Mario, Mr. Average, can rushdown and Smash in general lacking block strings for all characters and Smash 4 having strong shields makes it seem not like rushdown for some. That type of definition screams more of berserk play where you charge in without a care in the world rather than rushdown where you rush in and fight in a more calculated means.

I think using boxing styles might work better than rushdown, turtling, etc. A rushdown in boxing would be a swarmer or an in-fighter. They get in and apply pressure up close. The rushdown people tend to associate with, the berserk play style, would be the slugger. Also an in-fighter like the swarmer, the difference is they just brute force their way to victory. There's less of a focus on mixups and safe pressure and more focus of I'm going to hit hard and I'm going to hit until I land one. Zoners would pretty much be out-fighters or boxer-punchers. Out-fighters would be like Corrin, Duck Hunt, Robin, or Villager who want to stay at a safe range and fight there while boxer-punchers would be a bit more like Marth, Mega Man and Roy who fight at a safe range, but are much more aggressive about it. Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_styles_and_technique#Boxing_styles.

Last edited:

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
That reminds me of playing Roy. I get to run back and forth and spam Nair/Dtilt and try to land a dash grab or Nair. Except my dash grab is garbo. Seriously, maybe I'm spoiled, but I find it really hard to list a dash grab worse than anything that belongs to the Marth club. Unless you're Pac-Man.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Morning girls. How's everyone doing? :4zelda:

I think I may gotten a fly bite, since my left leg feels a bit itchy. Also, I now understand what they mean by a Service Map; I have map out a service which for this one is for trash/rubbish on Google Maps. Then afterwards, for this week, I have to show what games I've been playing. (I'll be using Fire Emblem, Sm4sh and maybe a third one as well to show what I've played and my soruce of ideas too. :V)

Also, I do hope you eventually get your laptop back @Mew - 2Chainz. :c

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
im distracting myself from studying for my Flash ACA exam by reading what I missed on here

welp i might have an addiction to brawlhalla i think im a sucker for decent platform fighters I blame smash 64 being my first video game ever
>brawlhalla
>decent

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Currently watching the VGBC stream of Smash 4.

JAE v GimR made me facepalm and sad. :c
And nice to see Poyo back, but it looked like he struggles against Corrin with Kirby.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Just tried this combo and its so good, finally I can win consistently using Zelda! Some real metagame development happening here.

Not sure why but I doesn't seem to work online tho
F***ing lag...

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue trailer! Still a stupid name.

Annnnnd... I think Aqua just became my favorite character in Kingdom Hearts because of those gameplay snippets of her section... game... thing... Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep 0.2 -- A Fragmentary Passage. Really, Square Enix? Really? I can't wait for the next arc in Kingdom Hearts 4 that's called "Kingdom Heart IV: The Tale in Twilight -- Passage 4:14 ~ Love at Dawn; Loveless at Dusk ft. Gackt".

Edit: Forgot to mention I think Nolan North is voicing one of the dudes, I think the unicorn dude, in the X thingie... Is it a film?

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue trailer! Still a stupid name.

Annnnnd... I think Aqua just became my favorite character in Kingdom Hearts because of those gameplay snippets of her section... game... thing... Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep 0.2 -- A Fragmentary Passage. Really, Square Enix? Really? I can't wait for the next arc in Kingdom Hearts 4 that's called "Kingdom Heart IV: The Tale in Twilight -- Passage 4:14 ~ Love at Dawn; Loveless at Dusk ft. Gackt".
Next they'll be making Kingdom Hearts HD 2.9 Second to Last Chapter Intervention Featuring Harry Potter from the Harry Potter series. :secretkpop:

Edit: Forgot to mention I think the Nolan North is voicing one of the dudes, I think the unicorn dude, in the X thingie... Is it a film?
Deadpool's actually dressed as the Unicorn. Wishing Marvel vs. Capcom 4 was made now.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
My opinions are better than Esam's right
They sure are. :198:

I'll still maintain Spear Lana is a better water character than Daphnes, but I don't think it's by much and can respect that opinion. Rest I agree on.

Though I don't think Midna's bad at all (C3-2 has ******** damage/hitboxes/WPG breaking, C3-1 juggles well, C1/C5 buffs usually mean you have darkness up on officers at all times) and Gauntlets don't really struggle at giant bosses (C3-2 spam is both fast and strong, I think it breaks most/all WPGs without special), but Midna isn't in the running for best dark character either way and Spinner's definitely better than Gauntlets at keep clearing while not being worse at other things.

ganondorf op yung link overrated tbh

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So... Just finished Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I kinda wanna use SFM to make a video of this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=aZx5zfkG6oU

Zelda as the main gorl. Bayo/ZSS as backup dancers. Zeldoo smacking Sheik with her heavy Dins. Villager, Megaman, Pit, and Gdorf running for the candy and pennies. I started with basic MMD but SFM looks way nicer. Is SFM actually easier to use? TBH the MMD models are really bad with jiggle physics. Don't even get me started on hair (and Bayo's outfit's) physics.

Then there's also the chance it gets smacked off YT because of the song. Eeeeesh.

I might just do the first part up until the retinal damage/suing part. My fav part next to "I can't run real faaaaar." ... Cuz it's Slowda.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Would anyone be down for some matches today?

So... Just finished Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I kinda wanna use SFM to make a video of this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=aZx5zfkG6oU

Zelda as the main gorl. Bayo/ZSS as backup dancers. Zeldoo smacking Sheik with her heavy Dins. Villager, Megaman, Pit, and Gdorf running for the candy and pennies. I started with basic MMD but SFM looks way nicer. Is SFM actually easier to use? TBH the MMD models are really bad with jiggle physics. Don't even get me started on hair (and Bayo's outfit's) physics.
Lemme check the SFM Workshop for you.

*Legitimately goes to the Source Filmmaker workshop on Steam to see if any of the certain models are available*

So far, the available ones you listed are as follows:
:4zelda:
:4bayonetta: (Bayonetta 2 model)
:pit:

There are models of Villager, Mega Man and Ganondorf. However, the Villager model is the one from the original Gamecube/N64 version, the Ganondorf model isn't that good, and the only decent-ish one is on Garry's Mod which is a playermodel. There's only a Mega Man model for Garry's Mod too. And there's no Sheik model either, except for Hyrule Warriors Sheik for Garry's Mod.

And Source Filmmaker is kind of hard to get into, since you gotta put tons of time and dedication into creating your piece; there are tutorials that can help out, but I never got far into making huge movies on SFM. Only few second ones. :V

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
My opinions are better than Esam's right
Esam thinks the Pumpkin Hill song from SA2 is bad. By definition, most peoples opinions are better than Esams.

After watching it:

Huh.

I agree with...three of the five, but not a lot of the supplementary thoughts.

My biggest issues are you never mentioned Lana once in any of the three elements she was eligible for, you said Midna wasn't good, and most importantly, you said Zant and Wizzro were great characters.

Regardless, Volga must feel a lot different on the Wii U than in Legends if you're saying he's the only contender for best fire elemental, let alone a contender for best character in the game. Never used him in the console version, but in Legends I've found him massively underwhelming given the hype. Though I do say while also believing there are no bad fire weapons in this game. The 3DS by design nerfed Lana's summoning gate which takes it out of consideration, but surely it still deserved some mention?

I can't comment on the spinner, though if I was going to pick the next three electric weapons to consider, I can say for sure Sheik wouldn't be one of them. The Trident is a welcomed addition, and Lana's Book of sorcery is awesome.

I think we've spoke briefly about it before when people were going over how stupid Impa is, but Lana's spear was the only real weapon in consideration until the Wind Waker characters showed up.

And, yeah. The dark characters. Implying Zant and especially Wizzro aren't some of the worst characters in the game. Just...what?

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Yew gorls and your Spear!Lana cult...
Buddhahobo Buddhahobo Okay this is a lot.
-Book!Lana is worse at 1v1 than the Spinner, damage output is lower, and it isn't as great at crowd clearing.

-Summoning Gate!Lana is good, but Volga just does everything faster and safer so...

-Trident!Ganondorf is garbage against giant bosses, it's pretty unsafe, crowd clearing is meh, not a top weapon for sure.

-Link!Great Fairy > Spear!Lana tbh (Yes I ordered Link and the Great Fairy correctly. You know exactly which one is being used and which one is the one using the other.)

-Wizzro is basically Ghirahim with worse crowd control. C2 is an infinite and his other moves are just as deadly in 1v1. Also good against giant bosses.

-Zant is the opposite of Wizzro. Great crowd control and high damage output, and updates have made him safer. Also murders giant bosses.

-Midna is just C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 because the rest of her moves are rubbish. I swear even Agitha out-damages her.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Esam thinks the Pumpkin Hill song from SA2 is bad. By definition, most peoples opinions are better than Esams.

After watching it:

Huh.

I agree with...three of the five, but not a lot of the supplementary thoughts.

My biggest issues are you never mentioned Lana once in any of the three elements she was eligible for, you said Midna wasn't good, and most importantly, you said Zant and Wizzro were great characters.

Regardless, Volga must feel a lot different on the Wii U than in Legends if you're saying he's the only contender for best fire elemental, let alone a contender for best character in the game. Never used him in the console version, but in Legends I've found him massively underwhelming given the hype. Though I do say while also believing there are no bad fire weapons in this game. The 3DS by design nerfed Lana's summoning gate which takes it out of consideration, but surely it still deserved some mention?

I can't comment on the spinner, though if I was going to pick the next three electric weapons to consider, I can say for sure Sheik wouldn't be one of them. The Trident is a welcomed addition, and Lana's Book of sorcery is awesome.

I think we've spoke briefly about it before when people were going over how stupid Impa is, but Lana's spear was the only real weapon in consideration until the Wind Waker characters showed up.

And, yeah. The dark characters. Implying Zant and especially Wizzro aren't some of the worst characters in the game. Just...what?
While I did defend spear Lana for water, I think that's the only element she's a contender in. Book's good but its damage is lacking, Summoning Gate's slow+clunky and only really good when it wants to be. Also, Summoning Gate isn't nerfed at all in Legends; the bosses are just replaced with glowing orbs so the game's framerate isn't gutted by giant bosses being summoned.

Volga's kind of...simple, I guess? But C1 does good damage and guardbreaks, C2 infinites and guardbreaks, C3 shreds giant bosses, C4+C5 torch keeps...he's just really good at everything. Linkle's the only real contender, but I'd say not having a guardbreak automatically puts Volga above her. I think she's more fun, but Volga's kit does everything you need, and then some.

Lightning weapons imo are probably like Spinner ≥ Gauntlet > Sheik > Lana Book > Trident > Baton

Zant and Wizzro are fine. Zant has great keep clearing and isn't bad against officers either, only thing I don't like about him is that he's finnicky/awkward against giant bosses. Wizzro's good at everything, he just takes more effort/precision to do things than other characters (that said both are probably still on the lower end for dark chars, but none of the dark chars are bad so...).

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
Joooooiiinnnnn Uuuuussssssssssss~~~~~~~

-Book!Lana is worse at 1v1 than the Spinner, damage output is lower, and it isn't as great at crowd clearing.
I wasn't saying she was better than the spinner, just that I'd put her over Sheik. I never used the spinner and would put the Gauntlets first.

-Link!Great Fairy > Spear!Lana tbh (Yes I ordered Link and the Great Fairy correctly. You know exactly which one is being used and which one is the one using the other.)
Eh, maybe. That's sort of one of the problems I have with thinking of lists in this game when it comes to Link. I mean really, if you're using Link, shouldn't you just be using the Master Sword anyway?

Zant and Wizzro are fine. Zant has great keep clearing and isn't bad against officers either, only thing I don't like about him is that he's finnicky/awkward against giant bosses.
Yeah, but that's sort of a big deal from what I remember about his required missions. IIRC, they were typically against giant bosses.

Lightning weapons imo are probably like Spinner ≥ Gauntlet > Sheik > Lana Book > Trident > Baton
I'm not disagreeing with that for the most part, just that I'd probably put Sheik under Trident. I'd also probably argue Agitha deserves to be somewhere on that list given half of her moves do lightning and most of her required missions makes use of that.

What's the big deal with Sheik, then? She always seems super weak to me, especially considering you get Lana and her Book of Sorcery at around the same time to compare. Sheik and the Baton both seemed to have their specialized adventure map usages (Sheik with her water shield in the don't-get-hit master maps, Zelda in the 1-hit-kills challenges), and not really anything else that stuck out to me.

Also, Summoning Gate isn't nerfed at all in Legends; the bosses are just replaced with glowing orbs so the game's framerate isn't gutted by giant bosses being summoned.
Huh. That's good to know then. I put the game down awhile ago to wait for some of the DLC to come out before playing again. My Link was leveling up really quickly and I'm assuming they're going to increase the level cap like they did the console version at some point.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I still think Spear Lana isn't good, maybe it's just because of the Super Attack, but it is just... sooo lackluster, ain't even good for crowd control either. But I haven't play Hyrule Warriors in ages, so I'm most likely wrong. :V

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
What's the big deal with Sheik, then?
- While most of her attacks are on the weak end, Bolero of Fire does ridiculous damage to both healthbars and WPGs. While it has startup, you can keep enemies from running out of the AoE by smacking them or using Special.
- Speaking of using Special, Prelude of Light lets you have full special bars on demand, and you don't really need to go out of your way to set it up since C6 is your go-to for room clearing.
- Serenade of Water might seem specialized for "Don't get hit" missions, but it also lets you ignore slowdown/stun effects like from Gibdos or things like enemy Zelda C5/Ganon C4 which is rather useful.
- C2, C3, and C4 are all good for juggling.
- She has access to every element. I haven't really messed around with this admittedly since in most cases it seems like more trouble than it's worth when you could just spam Bolero when you want damage, but it's there, and if nothing else C6 has deceptively good AoE despite the animation for applying light marks.

I'd also probably argue Agitha deserves to be somewhere on that list given half of her moves do lightning
While they apply lightning, her weapon only does extra damage to things that are weak to light either way. I think the exception is that lightning moves will do more to WPGs of things weak to lightning, but as far as bonus damage to healthbars go she's effectively full light.

I still think Spear Lana isn't good, maybe it's just because of the Super Attack, but it is just... sooo lackluster, ain't even good for crowd control either. But I haven't play Hyrule Warriors in ages, so I'm most likely wrong. :V
- Clears rooms well with C5, which has an early dodge cancel so you don't need to go airborne with the leaf.
- Destroys giant bosses well with her full weak string. Honorable mention to C3 blowing up all of The Imprisoned's toes in a single shot.
- Officers depends on how you approach them, I guess. She doesn't have a good moveset for attacking directly, but C3 does bizarrely high damage and can be spammed rather quickly since it's an early combo, the last three hits of her weak string all do high damage if you lead into them, and she has a strong weak point smash. If you get fancy, you can use C3's strong pre-explosion knockback to launch things to you from across the room too, though I don't know if there's much real reason to do so.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
- Clears rooms well with C5, which has an early dodge cancel so you don't need to go airborne with the leaf.
- Destroys giant bosses well with her full weak string. Honorable mention to C3 blowing up all of The Imprisoned's toes in a single shot.
- Officers depends on how you approach them, I guess. She doesn't have a good moveset for attacking directly, but C3 does bizarrely high damage and can be spammed rather quickly since it's an early combo, the last three hits of her weak string all do high damage if you lead into them, and she has a strong weak point smash. If you get fancy, you can use C3's strong pre-explosion knockback to launch things to you from across the room too, though I don't know if there's much real reason to do so.
Huh. Guess I was completely wrong. This is what I get for not playing Hyrule Warriors for ages. :yeahboi:

Top Bottom