• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Fixed the pepper spray GIF if people want to see this beauT
14648027186813.gif

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Sitting wondering how the hell I managed to feel like if I had the game, I'd want to play as Soldier: 76 out of everyone else in Overwatch. Look at gameplay of him and I'm like: "Cool", and then I look at gameplay of D.Va, Genji, Hanzo, McCree, Widowmaker, Zenyatta, etc. and I'm like, "Meh". The hell is wrong with me!? I blame his origin and animated short for making me sympathize and connect with the character.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I feel like posting lists.

I'm going to post lists.

S: D.Va, Tracer
A: Genji, Mercy
B: Reaper, McCree, Lucio
C: Symmetra, Pharah, Winston, Widowmaker
---------- cutoff for characters I'm interested in playing ----------
D: Reinhardt, Zenyatta, Junkrat, Hanzo, Bastion
F: Soldier: 76, Torbjorn, Zarya, Mei, Roadhog

I like speedy short-range hitscan glass cannons and healers if TF2 has taught me anything (Scout/Medic/Pyro), so I'm confident my best character would be one of Tracer/Reaper/McCree/DVa, and Mercy is the most appealing support character to me. There's a real possibility for me liking Genji or Lucio a lot, but I'd need to see how bad/good I am with their weapons first.
S: Medli
A: Lana(Spear), Linkle, Ghirahim, Ganondorf(Greatswords), Cia, Fi, Ruto, Lana(Book)
A-: Link(Gauntlets), Volga, Midna
B: Link(Master Sword), Sheik, Twili Midna, Skull Kid, Zelda(Dominion Rod)
B-: Lana(Summoning Gate), King Daphnes, Young Link, Ganondorf(Trident), Zant
---------- cutoff for characters I pick willingly ----------
C: Link(Sword), Link(Rod), Link(Fairy), Link(Spinner)
D: Agitha, Darunia, Zelda(Baton), Link(Epona)
F: Wizzro, Toon Link, Tingle, Zelda(Rapier)
F-: Impa(Naginata), Tetra
BYE: Impa(Giant Blade)

medli air combos are fun
impa was a mistake

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
D: Widowmaker, Reinhardt, Zenyatta, Junkrat, Hanzo, Bastion
you have best grill on your list twice

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
HW still a topic in here, nice.
I missed the Yoshi discussion 5 pages ago/3 days ago so I don't think I should chime in.
It was basically eveyone passively saying "I hate Yoshi and his BS".
Btw I hate Yoshi and his BS :minisecretkpop:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
bjn will you ban me for having this as my post color

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
bjn will you ban me for having this as my post color
As your primary post color?

:secretkpop: yes

At least, I'd say it should not be your primary post color. Mostly because it can be impossible to select and see for some users on mobile. Using it to super secretly throw shade is secretkpop though

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
to back air he needs to jump first (8 frames)

Ftilt is good but utilt is useless when up angled ftilt is better

command grab constantly whiffs against smaller characters

dont see whats BROKEN about any of this
I think the most insulting part about this is that they never mentioned the 8f jumpsquat that Bowser has that Luigi doesn't. Like wtf loool. The entire spiel was since shield is so good and heavies can beat that with grab and kill you, it's soooo bad! Even though if you hit buttons the heavies usually lose out to that because lolnograbarmor and slow frame data. But I mean, that would be playing character specific matchups, and who wants that?

I told you that thread was terrible. Some people in there don't even sound like they enjoy this game.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
As your primary post color?

:secretkpop: yes

At least, I'd say it should not be your primary post color. Mostly because it can be impossible to select and see for some users on mobile. Using it to super secretly throw shade is secretkpop though
rip

i guess i'm back to my old color

blessT kyo for messing ha post up and revealing this secret to us

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
It's a good post color anyways

It really embodies "Spritzee," in more ways than one! :smash:

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
bjn gorl plz.PNG

I can't even right now

can you see this sentence?

but for real, we can't be friends if you use the trashy white smashboards skin
gorl plz I use Tourmaline it's much more visually pleasing than any other skin

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I really don't understand why balancing 'committees' and patch suggestion/collection threads should exist on the general board.

I understand that users on that board are the ones most likely to create that type of thread, but only a tiny fraction of players there will actually know how to balance SSB4 in any way.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
F: Wizzro
I posted this list a few hours too early I think, I'm actually coming around on Wizzro now that I've had a few Wizzro-only stages in a row to figure stuff out on. I'd probably put him above Tridentdorf.

I really don't understand why balancing 'committees' and patch suggestion/collection threads should exist on the general board.

I understand that users on that board are the ones most likely to create that type of thread, but only a tiny fraction of players there will actually know how to balance SSB4 in any way.
I like to think of it as a reminder that the game could always be worse.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I regrettably had to go onto For Glory, since no one was available to help me practice.

And I came across some... interesting folk.

A Sheik main who I hold no respect for because of obvious reasons. :V
There was a Samus player who... it was just hilarious, I had a close game against him as Lucina, but as Roy. I destroyed him. 2 Stocked him at 12% with Roy.
I ran into a Duck Hunt player, it was a pain in the butt. He was just running away, throwing projectiles and spamming FSmash. It was just awful. :c

And then I came across someone named Michiel, he was very fun to fight. He used Zelda, Palutena and Wii Feet. I have a feeling he lurks around the Zelda Social. Because he did the sassy taunt on me. :secretkpop: (Also, I killed his Palutena at 49% with Up B when they were charging an UpSmash). He has a very good Zelda and Wii Feet. Kudos to him. :yeahboi:

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
I posted this list a few hours too early I think, I'm actually coming around on Wizzro now that I've had a few Wizzro-only stages in a row to figure stuff out on. I'd probably put him above Tridentdorf.
Eh, I wouldn't think much on that one; he'll betray your trust soon enough and go down to Impa-tiered where he belongs in the end.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Eh, I wouldn't think much on that one; he'll betray your trust soon enough and go down to Impa-tiered where he belongs in the end.
You're probably right, he just seems less bad when you don't play other characters for awhile

I went to do the Evil Power reward map with him and could only get through Volga, Wizzro, and half of Ghirahim's health bar before the 3 minutes ran out for the first mission.

Then I tried it with Medli and cleared the entire map in 2:20.

Granted Medli has element advantage against most of the dark dudes I'm pretty sure, but the map's recommended element is lightning so...

edit: I do remember you asking about a wizzro guide before though, I can jot down some stuff that made him more tolerable for me:

On the even-numbered attacks of his weak string, you can turn to focus or spread the shots more; turning right-to-left on the 2nd wave and left-to-right on the 4th wave will stack the bullets on top of each other, increasing damage significantly (but still not better than combo moves, I don't think). Don't bother going past the fourth attack in the weak string ever.

C1 does pretty good damage, has i-frames from grab until after the slam, and since it knocks down you can spam it to infinite officers as they stand back up into it. Works much more reliably than other grabs, too.

C2 is also really spammable, good range with ok damage/early dodge cancel and guard breaks. It's almost like you're playing Volga! (no)

C3 sucks

C4 clears rooms fairly well and destroys giant bosses. Would recommend against spreading weak string orbs first, even if it detonates them the explosions will just fling everything out of the way of the rest of the attack.

C5 is only really good 1v1 or lines, the damage is pitiful if you don't stay focused on a target. Highly recommend launching first with either weak string explosions or C2 so it can't be blocked.

Special has next to no endlag and can initiate juggles if used near a wall.

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman

I don't think most competitive players understand how to balance smash either.

How many times did they say weight nerfs of one unit were meaningless, or that killing one or two percent earlier didn't mean anything?

Then Sheik players are shocked at how early they're dying. Changes are systemic and cumulative, but players only look at them individually, and they're only concerned about the top tier, rather than the center. M2K is the only patch reviewer who said the Cloud nerfs were meaningful, and even he didn't comment about their purpose of shaving the sharper edges off the stronger characters to bring them closer to the center. The idea being to take away what they don't need, and leaving with just enough to keep their style. It's typically methodical and careful. They've also taken to making the DLC characters extra strong and reducing them to hit a nice level. As with Bayo and Corrin, as opposed to making them underpowered and needing to heavily buff them, as with Mewtwo and tons of other initial characters.

Then again I see Zelda's 11% jab and wonder if the balance team knows how to balance Smash. I think the purpose was to make it safer on shield so she'd have a better neutral tool, which is also why the sword characters all now hit for a certain basic amount of percent, but really it's lol.

EDIT: I should give an example. Kirby's up-smash gets 5 buffs, each time allowing it to kill 1% earlier. He now kills 5% earlier. Each of these buffs are dismissed, because lol 1%

Cloud get his smashes nerfed to kill 2% later. No biggie, it's said.

Sheik (I pick on her too much) gets the 3% earlier death cumulative weight nerfs.

Cloud is considered better than Kirby, but worse than Sheik, so altogether he kills Sheik 1% earier. They're now closer. Kirby is worse than both, so he now kills Sheik 8% earlier (70-ish instead of 80-ish). Likewise, he dies to Cloud a few percent later. He's overall closer to each of them. Killing 8% earlier is kind of a big deal, and if you look at how Kirby works (combos to around 40-80 and then tries to land a smash) he now only needs to win neutral 2-3 times instead of 4-5, and that's significantly less burden on Kirby. So we see a Kirby player get some upsets against some Sheiks, and everyone is wondering why and how, and if Kirby has always been lowkey good against Sheik. Well, no, that wasn't always always the case, and we had all the information to understand why this would be the case, but no one payed attention to anything that didn't drop Sheik off Top Tier or throw Kirby into top tier so you missed it until some Kirby main shoved it in your face. That kind of thinking needs to be understood if you want to balance a game properly.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever

when I see such brilliant things like "reduce Bayonetta's weight by 5 units" and "Luigi's down throw wasn't actually broken", I feel like ripping my hair out proud of our great community.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Just watched the whole of yesterday's Smash 4 stream on VGBC.

I think Diddy Kong might be one of Bayo's bad MUs now judging from what I saw. I feel like she may go even against Sonic as well, but Seagull Joe will probably say otherwise. :secretkpop:

Also, for anyone who still plays or is still playing Fire Emblem Fates. I'll leave my castle address here. :3

17924-46289 53738-86804
:4sonic: vs :4bayonetta: is even.

:018:

Rizen

Smash Legend

It's to delude people into thinking their opinions have weight, same as the SSB4 competitive discussion forums.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
:4sonic: vs :4bayonetta: is even.

:018:
Huh. Listening to Jim's Big Ego for the first time in years, and Seagull Joe shows up.

Have this song for when speedsters die.

I don't think most competitive players understand how to balance smash either.
I think most smashers simply don't understand most things. That isn't necessarily a slight against them, it's just the reality of the general age and background of the people in the community.

The problem is when people good at one thing takes that to mean they know anything about another thing. Or when they have massive internet followings by people who take everything said at face value, regardless of the field the player is actually talking about.

"Because ____ said so" is not evidence. The mark of an expert is not that your statements are taken at face value, but because you are able to properly explain and defend each statement with evidence when questioned.

From what I've heard, the backroom (and what one typically sees on twitter) isn't much, or at all, better. It's just there instead of name dropping, at some point it all descends into someone pulling out the ruler.

edit: I do remember you asking about a wizzro guide before though, I can jot down some stuff that made him more tolerable for me:
Wizzro will never be tolerable for me, but I'm both surprised that you remembered something so minor, and thank you for the bit of aid.

On my own tier list he'll always be at the very bottom, probably with the rest of the redundant Darkness characters. And Sheik.

Last edited:
anyway, i discourage anyone from doing this but is someone here insane enough to complain about mccree in the cci?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I feel like posting lists.

I'm going to post lists.

D: Reinhardt, Zenyatta, Junkrat, Hanzo, Bastion

I like speedy short-range hitscan glass cannons and healers if TF2 has taught me anything (Scout/Medic/Pyro), so I'm confident my best character would be one of Tracer/Reaper/McCree/DVa, and Mercy is the most appealing support character to me. There's a real possibility for me liking Genji or Lucio a lot, but I'd need to see how bad/good I am with their weapons first.
S: Medli
A: Lana(Spear), Linkle, Ghirahim, Ganondorf(Greatswords), Cia, Fi, Ruto, Lana(Book)
A-: Link(Gauntlets), Volga, Midna
B: Link(Master Sword), Sheik, Twili Midna, Skull Kid, Zelda(Dominion Rod)
B-: Lana(Summoning Gate), King Daphnes, Young Link, Ganondorf(Trident), Zant
---------- cutoff for characters I pick willingly ----------
C: Link(Sword), Link(Rod), Link(Fairy), Link(Spinner)
D: Agitha, Darunia, Zelda(Baton), Link(Epona)
F: Wizzro, Toon Link, Tingle, Zelda(Rapier)
F-: Impa(Naginata), Tetra
BYE: Impa(Giant Blade)

medli air combos are fun
impa was a mistake
Why the soldier 72 hate :c

Top Bottom