• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your "Main"...have you even PLAYED their true game?

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
I would say that has a big factor in my character choice in melee and probaly in Brawl. I've played almost everygame out for the characters except Ice Climbers, Pit, and Game and Watch. (I haven't played a game starring ZSS, Lucus or Marth) but I've played games from their series.) I think I'm more likely to play with a character that I love before Smash Brothers, like Snake and the pokemon trio as oppossed to characters Im not quite as fond of such as Marth or Captain Falcon. I guess I feel that if I win with the character I can establish some superiority in the games they represent.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I played at least 1 game from everyone in Smash Bros...

and am a fan of most of them, with an exception to Metal Gear (Since I wasn't much of a Sony guy...I only played the original Metal Gear with him) and Toon Link (Don't much like the cartoony Zelda games)

startoonhero

Smash Apprentice
ive always been a fan of falco, he was always my favorite star fox character, and i prayed for him to be included in melee, and my wishes were answered, and i played as him and would beat my friends and bro in melee, only to find out waaay later on that hes high on the tier system.. which i didnt even knew existed.. lol

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
smash 64: ness

i actually started playing the game as just plain mario but as soon as i found out that ness could be playable, i flipped out. earthbound is my favorite rpg of all time. i wish i didnt have to give my old EB cart to my cousin.

melee: ness - game and watch

good ol ness. i cant say no to him.

mr game and watch, is another story. ive played his remade games with mario and cast as stars of GAME AND WATCH GALLERY for GBC. but uh mr game watch isnt really "playable". by unlocking old games and whatnot. but findin out he was playable in melee was a big plus to me. so i use him as well

brawl: ness - game and watch - wario - wolf

played all of his wario land/warioware (minus that wario land for the virtual boy) and was hoping he would be in melee but nope. at least hes in brawl which is pretty dam sweet.

wolf is badass. i loved starfox 64 and out of all the cast of characters there wolf was my favorite. just replaying the game trough the left side of the map (HARD) would get you face the hardest version of wolf which i loved doin most of the time. and who can forget his awesome quotes? "you're good... but IM better!"

Ness is a big reason I started playing SSB, I found out he was a charachter and I knew I had to get in on that., even though I wound up using DK.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a main, I play many different characters, sometimes trying to counter another person's character. However, I haven't played many of their original games.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Of course, I love yoshi and I loved him long before smash. Played all those fun games, yoshi cookie, yoshi safari, and of course yoshi story, they're such cute lil' fellas in yoshi story. So of course when super smash came out on the 64 when i was 10 I was excited about getting to use yoshi.

So I think some people use characters based on how much they like them, some however just play others because they're good (those people lead very sad lives =P) I later found out yoshi was on the BOTTOM tier, the highest one on the bottom tier but I was still outraged because I'm suprisingly good at the game.

Gaddswell

Smash Cadet
Yep. I've played most of Yoshi's games and I love choosing him in all the Mario spin off games.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
King Dedede is one of my favorite Nintendo characters of all time, as a result, I vowed to myself I would get excellent with him.

Ganondorf & Kirby were previous mains of mine in Melee & 64, respectively.

Lucario, Wolf, Meta Knight and Snake look interesting to play as.

-Dedede: I've played a junkload of Kirby games, and King Dedede makes me lol everytime I see his fat penguiny face :D
-Ganondorf: I've played Majora's Mask, Wind Waker & Twilight Princess. All of them were awesome, although Majora's is still my favorite Zelda of all time, and shut up to anyone who criticizes me for such.
-Kirby: See Dedede, minus the penguiny part :D
-Lucario: YES, I've played Diamond and Pearl, and I was depressed when Mewtwo was so terrible in Melee...
-Wolf: I've played a tidbit of StarFox64, it's great. Wolf is just sheer badassedry.
-Meta Knight: Kirby + Bat Wings + Golden Sword = badass :D I was kinda pissed when I found out he wasn't in Crystal Shards...>.<
-Snake: I'm getting the MGS Collection for PS2 when it comes out on 3/25, and I saw MGS4...OH MY GOD. It looks like the most beautiful game I've ever seen in my life.

I've played almost every game featured in Brawl, except:
-Earthbound
-Mother 3
-Fire Emblem series

I hope they release the first two on VC, and I might get Path of Radience...not sure yet.

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
I may be a nobody, but I feel like answering anyhow.

I plan on spending most of my time using Sonic. And I've played plenty of Sonic games. The 2D ones are fun. Great fun. I can't get the same feel in his 3D ones, though. But yes, original. Had all the genesis games.

Dedede, yes. But only recently.

Ness... here's the funny thing. I never even heard of Earthbound until SSB (though I never had a SNES, so...). This carried on to Melee (where I didn't use him as much. Shame on me). It wasn't until last september until I played Earthbound, and with that newfound knowledge, I'll be using him again in Brawl.

I've played most of the represented series...s, really.

monkeyfan1

Smash Rookie
my main in melee was marth. i played one fire emblem game that didn't have marth... didn't finish it.

i think i'll main metaknight in brawl. metaknight was in kirby all star, which i played a ton on the snes.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I've played most of the games, but not all.

As for their inclusion in smash I don't care what series their from, I will learn how to play as every single character in the game, then choose which ones I like the best.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I'm maining Pit since I own Kid Icarus: OM&M on the Gameboy (and now the original on VC) and LOVE it.

Other favourite characters; Sonic because I grew up with his games, and Ike was a bit of both; I loved Roy in Melee when I first started (before I ended up maining Falco) and also FE: PoR is a great game (excuse, my rampant fanboyism but Ike x Soren = squee ^_^)

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I really found out that as I got better at the game, I abandoned the characters that I liked from previous games and picked up the ones that I liked playing with. Some characters weren't really my playstyle; I played Link early just because I liked Ocarina of Time but never really knew how to play as him. When I looked around, I liked how Luigi, DK, and Mewtwo played so I adopted their style.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Anyone here looking for a good reason why Sonics in a nintendo brawler need to play Sonic Rush for DS. Yes, its 2D styled. Yes, its ****ing amazing and topped game of the year listings for the year it was released.

And uhuh. I played everyones game at least once, or had the chance to play some but didn't like when I did. F Zero GX is my favourite racer ever and Port Towns my favourite course; I love that Sakurai chose it.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I never really played Pikmin before, but I've always wanted to back when I was a sadistic teenager. I still want to play them now and I probably will buy used copies, but that's besides the point. I fell for Nintendo's subliminal marketing haven't I? Oh well, it shouldn't cost too much for both games.

QueTee

Smash Apprentice
I've beaten Mario 64 and Zelda Link to the Past, other than that I really don't play single player games.

Lucas main.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I never really played Pikmin before, but I've always wanted to back when I was a sadistic teenager. I still want to play them now and I probably will buy used copies, but that's besides the point. I fell for Nintendo's subliminal marketing haven't I? Oh well, it shouldn't cost too much for both games.
Buy Pikmin 2, not Pikmin 1

The sequel improves on the origional in every way, plus only in 2 will you find white and purple pikmin.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I chose sheik in melee, but i've never play a LOZ game before, only for those very old Zelda games. I have never play mother, FE or IC, Icarus games before.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
I find this somewhat interesting. I have barely even touched a Metroid game, never once in my life have I played past a couple minutes, yet I main Samus in Melee/maybe Brawl. I know some people might pick a main based on the type of Nintendo games you play...and that's fine.

I guess the true thing is:

Do you pick your favorite character to main, and then get good WITH them?

OR

Do you try out all the characters and choose the one that best suits your style of playing rather than what games they starred in?
In my case:
I thought, Metaknight looked awesome in the trailer, so I play with him most of the time. I also played Kirby Superstar, in which Kirby fought Metaknight.
As for Pikachu: I played Pokémon yellow, gold and diamond, plus I've seen some Pokémon movies. So yeah, I know pretty much of the little rat. He's also pretty handy, which makes him a nice alrounder to fight with.
I have never even seen Shiek in another game. I only played Legend of Zelda on SNeS, Ocarina of Time on N64 and the first few minutes of Twilight Princess. But I don't really care about her story. I hate that she got nerved to death in SSBB, but she was unbeatable in SSBM, so she deserves respect.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
I started to play a lot more LoZ games after Young Link.
After playing Wind Waker, I was hyped to see WW Link in Brawl. So now I can't wait for Toon Link hahaha

Since SSB64 came out when I was in 3rd grade (I think), the only Nintendo games I probably played were Super Mario World on my cousin's SNES and Pokémon Red and Gold. Then my cuz got a 64 with Smash and he let me play. I had fun spamming Pikachu's DownB haha
My other cousin told me some of the games the characters came from. After I got my GC with Melee, I started to get into Nintendo more. Eventually I started playing Metroid and Star Fox and such.
And that's my story of how I became a Nintendo fanboy XD

Basically, people choose the "mains" by liking the character in Smash, or liking the character in the respective game. And some others like to choose characters because everyone else started to choose the character (Toon Link is suddenly popular haha)

Thino

Smash Master
Falcon?
I played all Fzeros except the arcade one (yes I even played Fzero Climax)

Zelda?
the only zeldas i didnt play are the first one , adventure of link , and phantom hourglass

SilverFang

Smash Cadet
I mained Fox in Melee because I liked him in the Star Fox games and he's one of my favorite Nintendo characters. I also played as Samus, Luigi, Ness and Marth a lot because I like their games and them as characters in those games. I always pick the characters who I play as the most based on who I like from their games and then I get better with them and don't care what people say about them.

Joppi

Smash Rookie
Fire Emblem is my personal favorite Nintendo series, so Ike is my first choice for a main (and heavy characters seem to be making a comeback, and I liked Bowser in Melee).

I've played most of the franchises represented in Brawl, except F-Zero. Captain Falcon was my main in Melee, and I'm definently giving him a try in Brawl. So, I haven't played his games.

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
I main Ganondorf and i love the LOZ series more than any other series. I especially love the fact every time ganondorf pops up in a zelda game

NotEz

Smash Journeyman
i main young link in melee and ive played pretty much every single Legend of Zelda game so far

I'm going to main metaknight in brawl and ive played 2 or 3 kirby games before, and im pretty sure at least 1 of them had metaknight in it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do you pick your favorite character to main, and then get good WITH them?

OR

Do you try out all the characters and choose the one that best suits your style of playing rather than what games they starred in?

Really, it's a combination of both.

In the original, Fox, Mario, and Yoshi were my mains. Fox was by far the character I used the most simply because I loved Star Fox 64 so much. Yoshi and Mario were my secondaries both because of their play styles and how I've been playing their respective games since I was three. The only character I knew nothing about was Ness. At the time, I had played all the canon DK, Pokemon, and Kirby games, had played Super Metroid and the Return of Samus, played the original F-Zero (and absolutely hated it :laugh:), and the only Zelda games I had played were Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time.

In Melee, I mained Fox (until I found out how grossly overused he was), Ness, and Mario. Again, my reasons for using Fox were attached to SF64 and how I enjoyed playing him in Melee. I chose Ness simply because he was a character that most people gave up on too easily and I was finally able to find a copy of Earthbound. I enjoyed his unique playstyle and had an easily time using "advanced techniques" with him. Mario is Mario... enough said; he's a well rounded character and represents video game's best franchise. Once again, I had played all the DK, Pokemon, Yoshi and Kirby canon games (along with most of the spinoffs), I played both F-Zero games (and still hated them :laugh:), I hadn't even heard of Fire Emblem before then (obviously), had never played Ice Climber, hadn't played any new Metroid games since I played SSB, and had played a few of the Game and Watch collection games on the GBC.

In Brawl, I plan on maining Wario, Ness, and probably King Dedede. Wario, in my opinion, should have been in Melee and the fact that he didn't appear really bothered me. From the dozen or so gameplay videos I've seen of him in action, I have concluded that he fits my playstyle almost perfectly: strong, good range of attacks, not entirely predictible, and about average speed. He's basically Mario on acid. :laugh: As you may have guessed, I have played all the Wario canon games (except Wario Land III) and the Wario Ware games (which I like to call video games with ADD :bluejump:).

Ness, I can already tell, is going to be grossly underused especially with the fact that Lucas is an improved version of him in almost ever manner. Despite this, he seems to have been improved since Melee (except he's now slower) and will more then likely be easier to main then before.

King Dedede is my favorite Nintendo antagonist and, like Wario, I heavily expected him in Melee. From the footage I've seen of him, he seems like he's a lot of fun to use but fear that, because of Gimpy, he's going to be grossly overused. If you've noticed, I tend to avoid characters that people swarm over simply because they are commonly used by professional players. Because of this, I've decided not to main Pit, Metaknight, Ike, Marth, Sonic, Wolf, or Snake because they are more then likely to "clog" online play as it is.

As for the franchises I've played: I've played all the canon DK, Pokemon, Star Fox, Mario, Yoshi, Pikmin, Sonic, Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby games and most of their spinoffs, I have yet to play a Fire Emblem game (I haven't been convinced yet that they are worth my time), I have played Kid Icarus (awesome game), I have played Ice Climber, the only Metal Gear Solid game I've played is Snake Eater I really didn't care for it, the only Mother game I've played is Earthbound (obviously), I've played a few of the Game and Watch Gallery games, I have played all the console F-Zero games (and now I actually like it :laugh:), I've played all but one Wario game (Wario Land III) and, shockingly enough, I have played both Stack Up and Gyromite (they both suck herrendously and give plenty of evidence to why ROB shouldn't have been playable).

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
A bit of both for me. I've played nearly all games represented by series' in Smash Bros, except MGS, Mother, and Fire Emblem (And I doubt many people have played Stack Up/Robot series...)

Of course when I first played SSB and Melee, I didn't use Samus anyway, but I hadn't played a Metroid game before, but now I've played and completed all of them (I'm a big fan.. I just don't like the Prime games...)

I plan on maining Sonic or Olimar because I like them so much, but in the long run it's likely I'll end up with a character I'm actually best with. For example, I used to main Young Link, because he was possibly my favourite character, but now I main Samus, because I'm better with her. Sometimes my bro mains someone else other than Ice Climbers, but he ALWAYS ends up back as Ice Climbers. He had mained Peach for about a YEAR, and then just recently he went back to Ice Climbers. So who knows, I may end up back with Young/Toon Link.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
It just so happens that Snake, my favorite character who I want to get good with, perfectly fits my play style.

And I absolutley love the MGS series.

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
well when I got ssbm I was young so I just tried everyone and then I unlocked Young Link I was like OMG we're the same age! I should be him! SO I played as him for a while and then I switched to fox and finaly at my friends house I played my first Starfox game. Though I wasn't Alive when the latest Kid Icarus came out... lol

SD3

Smash Rookie
I generally pick characters based on who's style I like, but I also try to play each game represented. The overall quality of the game doesn't affect my character choice though (For instance, I like Ice Climbers in Melee, and bought the NES Ice Climber on virtual console just to see what it was like... it's bad).

The only games I haven't played which are represented by main characters are Mother 3, any Fire Emblem game, and R.O.B.'s games.

Edit: Oh, haven't played MGS either.

Top Bottom