• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your "Main"...have you even PLAYED their true game?

M.K

Level 55
I find this somewhat interesting. I have barely even touched a Metroid game, never once in my life have I played past a couple minutes, yet I main Samus in Melee/maybe Brawl. I know some people might pick a main based on the type of Nintendo games you play...and that's fine.

I guess the true thing is:

Do you pick your favorite character to main, and then get good WITH them?

OR

Do you try out all the characters and choose the one that best suits your style of playing rather than what games they starred in?

Sun-Wukong

Smash Journeyman
Both, I use Ganondorf for the second reason, and I plan on using Sonic for the first one. I like the Legend of Zelda games, but that's not why I use Ganondorf.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
Usually I do the first. (Kirby in SSB, Luigi in SSBM) and then come to like them. I'm such a Pikmin fanatic that I'm taking up Olimar.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I'm going into Brawl planning on maining Pit because I just like the character. Then, I watched more videos of gameplay and that's making me dig him even more. But, of course, if he doesn't fit with me, I'll work on somebody else. And, no, I've never played Kid Icarus. I should, though. I hear it's hard.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I might use Lucario or Falco for the first reason. I own Pearl and I love the StarFox games.

As for the second reason, I'll just have to try every character out and see.

Silver Flame

Smash Ace
I will play with characters in brawl because I like the character, not just how they play. Pokemon and kirby series are my two favorite series represented in brawl and will you look at that, my top five choices are all from those two series. See sig, and pikachu at end.
If I ever change my sig, Lucario, Meta Knight, Kirby, Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, in that order.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
everyone in my sig i main for their games except Marth who i chose for fun once now can't imagine not playing him

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I try for both. Playstyle + series I am interested in.

I may not have played Marth's game but I am definitely getting it on release date when it's out on DS. Played every internationally released Fire Emblem game though, as well as Sword of Seals/FE6 (Roy's game, although it was only for a few minutes and in Japanese).

I haven't played the GBA Metroid games or Metroid/Metroid 2, but I have played all four first person ones and Super Metroid.

I have F-Zero GX, and I have played F-Zero X on numerous occasions (rented it, borrowed it from a friend, while I was living in a dorm my roommate had it). Never played the original.

Only Starfox 64, none of the others really appealed.

That covers my potential mains at this point: Zamus, Wolf, Marth, Ike, Falcon.

Cog

Smash Apprentice
Well in Melee I mained Roy, and since I haven;t even heard about a game he was in and since it was just in japan, I never could play it.
But, I do try to test play all the characters first, then pick the best one that fits my play style and that I think I would like to get good at.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Lol Wolf and the Red Fang(his Wolfen) in SF:C pwns. Not only does he do Barrel Rolls(lol)He has dual Lasers and Multi lock. that beats Plasma+Lock Combo. Falco is alot like the Sky Claw in SF:C
fast and deadly and can hit multiple targets with significant force. Fox and his Arwing 2 maybe downgraded but used in the right hadns can kick any ones ***. Just like Brawl lol. Kirby is my on the fly guy. He can adapt to any situation :laugh:

So in short

Fox,Falco,Wolf,Kirby for the first reason

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I started off as Pikachu in SSB64 because I loved Pokemon and Pikachu was my favorite. I got pretty good with him but then I unlocked Ness and I realized that I could dominate with him so I gave up on Pika. I had no idea who the heck Ness was. I thought he was some sort of NES personification that they just made up for the game. Little did I know that he was a real character! lol Then once Melee came I tried both Pika and Ness and they both sucked. I was very discouraged so I played as Falcon until I unlocked everyone. Then I switched to Roy because I was like "dude this guy is sick!" I was pretty good with him, but I was never as good as I wanted to be. I thought it was just my fault that he was worse than other characters, but then I learned about tiers and saw that he was not a very good character. My friend said "dude you should switch back to Falcon you're a lot better with him" so I did and I was like "wow! I'm actually pretty good at this game!" So ever since then I've been dominating my local area (VERY small town lol) with Falcon and all of his manlyness.

So anyways, I pick characters that I like and who fit my style, and then I go out and buy all of the games they've been in. lol That's what got me started with Fire Emblem and F-Zero. I played one of the Mother games for like 10 minutes as well.

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Pit: No, I just think he looks cool.
Falco: Yes
Lucas: No, but give me a break, it's Japanese. Then again I could always just use Ness, seeing as I played Earthbound
Ike: Yes

Pima

Smash Journeyman
I will play as Dedede because he's the coolest penguin holding a hammer you'll ever see

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
It's weird that I don't intend to play any of the characters whose game series I've been playing for a long time.

I picked my favorite character in Melee and THEN got good with him. That character was G&W >__>

I just like how he plays...Anong with G&W, I also intend to play ROB and Wario in Brawl. I've played a few Wario games before WarioWare.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
I'm a mix of both. For instance, they second I found out Pit was going to be in SSBB, I thought I would have to try him out. The second I saw him in action in the first trailer, I knew he'd be my first main. With Captain Falcon (Melee main), I thought, you know, this dude is awesome, and so is his Knee and Pawnch. I tried him out, and he soon became my main.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I main C.Falcon in Melee, yet I have never played single F-Zero game.

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
Well...for melee, I did it the second reason.
For Brawl, I'm going with the first and maybe it will become the second reason...but we'll see.

=]

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
Ike: Yes, Both PoR and RD
Marth: as soon as it comes out for DS yes (But I've beat all the american fire emblems so thats close enough)
Falco: not all like 2 I think.
Metaknight: not all of em 2 or 3
Link: Yes all of them.

parkervn

Smash Rookie
I don't know...for a while, no character really "clicked" for me. Then I found Fox! It was because of Fox in Melee that I started playing his games (although I've only currently beaten Assault...).
I will most likely main Fox in Brawl, but I'm definitely going to try out all the characters.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
In the first one, I started off as Mario and Luigi mains, since I couldn't really access any good games at the time. Also, Fox was on that list as well, but I didn't really main him.

In Melee, things really took a turn. Dr. Mario and Samus really made things interesting since not only their history is fun, but also their games, especially Samus' series. My new and strongest main was Samus after Melee came along. Soon, I was in to Metroid series for a long run (Super Metroid FTW). Funny to mention that I was actually good with Sheik at the time, but I didn't liked Zelda too much back then, especially OoT.

For Brawl, most likely Samus again thanks to the Prime series, maybe Sheik and Link this time since I have been playing Zelda mostly (and TP was the final verdict for it), Mario, Luigi, and Bowser might have a go, and most likely Meta-Knight will be my first mate. Thanks for a refresher of Kriby's Adventure, now I know why he was such a formidable opponent to Kirby. I would like to play Kirby Superstar to face him again, but I'll wait for the DS version.

Really, I try the second option, but I think I'll stick with my first for this game. However, I won't hesitate to do option 2 if I must.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
A lot of my favorite Smash characters, and especially my main, Ganondorf, kind of have an joint variation effect upon my opinions of their games - in Ganondorf's case, I had never played a Legend of Zelda game until after I started maining the 'Dorf, when I decided to play through Ocarina of Time just to see him in his own element. Now I own Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Majora's Mask. Because of playing as Ness in Smash, I decided to get and beat Earthbound. After looking up Marth and Roy's origins, I've snapped up every Fire Emblem game I can get my hands on. Without Captain Falcon, I never would have bought F-Zero GX, but it's the best racing game I've ever played and I love it. And while I didn't even know who Samus was until after Melee, Metroid is now one of my favorite series of all time.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I find this somewhat interesting. I have barely even touched a Metroid game, never once in my life have I played past a couple minutes, yet I main Samus in Melee/maybe Brawl. I know some people might pick a main based on the type of Nintendo games you play...and that's fine.

I guess the true thing is:

Do you pick your favorite character to main, and then get good WITH them?

OR

Do you try out all the characters and choose the one that best suits your style of playing rather than what games they starred in?
well, aside from like Mr. Game & Watch I pretty much played all the games of characters in smash before they showed up in the game so.... I guess I hadn't played Roy's game, but I had emulated the original Fire Emblem with Marth before Melee came out.

in any case, I guess I just pick the character that suits my style because I am a nintendo nut and have played most all the games and love them.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Potential mains:

DeDeDe: yes, I've played about half of the Kirby games.
Meta Knight: see above
Lucario: yes
Wolf: only Star Fox 64
Sonic: Only the ones for the Genesis

My main in Melee was Jiggs, who is my favorite Pokemon.

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
I mained Falcon because of how flashy he was. He was the first ever character I picked in melee and I had no idea what F-zero was. I played until I got good with him. I finally bought F-zero for gamecube like a year ago and played it a few times.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Didn't know who Falcon was in SSB64, but I mained him cause he was fun to play. Then I played F-Zero, it's pretty fun.

Melee came out, I re-mained Falcon for massive ****.

90% chance I'll main him again in Brawl, but you never know, I may find someone more fitting. Prolly not though. FALCON PAUNCH.

Top Bottom