• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your "Main"...have you even PLAYED their true game?

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
I started playing as Ness because i loved him as a character from Earthbound. I continued playing as him and made him a main because of his playing style. I mained him in melee because i was stubborn after SSB64 and wanted to keep playing as my favorite character. He had the same moves but was severely worse in comparison to other characters, and i decided not to be a tier-***** and use fox.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I played Ness because he was fun to play as in 64-Melee, but it actually got me to play Earthbound, and for that I'm thankful.

I played Mother 3 before Lucas was announced and flipped a **** when I found he in the roster. I will main him simply because I like his character ( plus PK cannon is satisfying ).

I suggest you play Super Metroid or Zero Mission, if you want to try out a Metroid game.

Dark Aether

Smash Cadet
Luigi: Every Mario game I have I play as Luigi in em, if i can.
Ike: FE9 and 10 are the only Fire Emblem games I've played, Ike was always my favorite unit.
Toon Link: Wind Waker was the first and best Zelda game I've played in my life.
Sonic: Sonic 2 was the very first game I ever played in my entire life, I grew up playing Sonic 3, S&K, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes etc. etc.. It's my favorite franchise of all time.

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
I think the only games with reps I haven't played are Mother/Earthbound, and... no, that's it. I've played FE, but not Marth's game. Wait, haven't played Ice Climbers, either (working on it, though-VERY limited VC budget).

I don't main anyone, per se, but whatev. A post is a post that shall be ignored. THis seems to be one of those threads that no one reads through, but they post just for the heck of it.

Tiamat475

Smash Journeyman
Indeed I have. Starting from SF64 to SF Command. I dare not play any of the past games before N64 because of their horrible 3-D graphics.

iamafridge

Smash Rookie
i like playing with characters the are fun to use in the game. That being said, the only characters who' s games i haven't played, are olimar, marth, the robot dude, and ike

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Do you pick your favorite character to main, and then get good WITH them?

OR

Do you try out all the characters and choose the one that best suits your style of playing rather than what games they starred in?
Truth be told, a combination of both.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Intriguing thread.

I do have to say that it is a combination of both questions listed by the OP, though. I go straight for the jugular in Smash---if I like a character from a particular franchise a great deal, I go for them right from the get-go. I tend to let them go if they don't fit mesh very well with my playing style, however. Bowser in Melee is a good example. Ever since they fleshed out everybody favorite Koopa King in SMRPG, I've had nothing but love for the character (before, I looked at him as little more than a pixellated obstacle that is dealt with by a well-timed jump and an axe at the end of the bridge). However, I couldn't get him to click with me; slow characters aren't really my thing to begin with. I went straight for Sheik after that. I liked Sheik a lot as a character, anyway (or what little there was of Sheik's character, anyway. I always wondered what it would be like to play as her in OoT and Melee gave me my wish. Kinda shallow, but meh). I found that Sheik really clicked with me (and several other bajillion players. lol) and so I stuck with her.

While I haven't had the pleasure of playing Brawl yet, I definitely have to say that my two selections for mains are based off of sheer fandom for the time being. Perhaps my opinion my change when I actually play the characters, but who knows?

Though I was introduced to it rather late, but I'm a pretty big fan of the Kirby franchise. As soon as I saw Metaknight, it was simply love. He oozed cool. I will never forget the fightin Kirby's Super Star for as long as I live. It was simply epic.

Coming at a close (if not **** close to equal) second in the character main priority is Sonic. I can't even begin to tell you how much I like the character. Seriously. I've been a big fan of Sonic ever since I was like, four or five. The Sega Genesis was the first system that I truly owned (preceding that was the family Nintendo lost to the annals of time and space) and Sonic was the first game I played for it. I am sorely disappointed in the craptastic 3-D games that they're coming out with nowadays, but I remain a staunch supporter of the classic and (in my opinion) the most iconic version of the Sonic character. It delights me to see Sakurai pulling so much from the old school Sonic games in Brawl. From Green Hill Zone to even some of his sound effects (which, I swear to God, are pulled straight from the classic Genesis games) to his freakin' voice actor (OMG the dude from the old Sonic cartoons)---they really outdid themselves with the old-school rep.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Whether you've played their games or not doesn't influence how well you fight with them in Smash. Pit is one character I'm planning to main, but before Smash I'd never even heard of Kid Icarus.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Of course I generally like the characters whose games I have played most. Sadly that lowers Samus's status, as I haven't really played any Metroids (but I started Super Metroid recently).

I hadn't played any Fire Emblems, but I used to like Roy's play style a lot (and his design) so I played him a lot. And now Marth. And now that I have the opportunity to play FE I should, shouldn't I?

Anyway, my planned favorites/mains are mostly from series I do enjoy. <3

limitbreak

Smash Ace
It is fairly interesting because I'm willing to bet that most people haven't played their characters respective games. This is partially due to the fact that most of these characters are fairly old and new characters have replaced them for the new generation. Honestly, who the heck has played Kid Icarus? I'll admit, I haven't. But I think it's awesome how Sakurai is bringing these characters back into a game. It truly is amazing.

_Nero_

Smash Rookie
I mained sheik for reason 2, although OoT is the best game i have ever played. Do to her nerfs though i'll be picking a new main... I've been trying Toon link and he feels good but its just not the same.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I main Pichu, Luigi and DK. I've obviously played (and loved) Mario and Pokemon and I'm a big big Donkey Kong fan (Donkey Kong Jungle beat FTW).

I'll probaly stop playing Luigi since he won't be as fun because of no wavedash and Pichu isn't in so Olimar will probaly be one of my mains. I've played Pikmin 1 and I just got Pikmin 2 today!

I think I've played all of the character's games actually...except Marth and Lucas. That's right. I PLAYED GYROMITE AND FE6.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I considered maining Snake although his fighting style might not be suited for me. I haven't touched a single Metal Gear Solid game, but in a few weeks, I'll have all of them. Just because of this (and my hyped friends).

fums63

Smash Apprentice
the characters im looking forward to in brawl (ike, mk, pt, olimar, dedede, lucario, sonic, and snake) yes.
in melee... no i haven't played fe1 or 3 or ice climber
in the first smash... no i hadn't yet played kirby.
so if this pattern continues, i'll end up maining a character who's game i haven't played

TP_Zant

Smash Rookie
Some characters I've played in melee made me go out and buy their games. Fire Emblem and F-Zero, turned out to be awesome games. But I've always liked the LoZ series and even if the characters aren't top tier it wouldn't matter because I liked Link in 64, Zelda/Ganondorf in Melee, and now Zelda for brawl. Likely Pit will have me go and get Kid Icarus for the VC someday too.

Austin55

Smash Journeyman
I won't ever main a character unless I have beaten a few of the games from their franchises.
1. Captain Falcon
2. A MOTHER character
3. A Kirby character besides MK
4. Luigi mah booiii
Then I try to get good with them. I love Kid Icarus, but he is so popular in Brawl even though nobody played his games that I'm not going to use him.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
I originally planned on maining Fox/Shiek in Melee.

Fox because I believe Starfox is the greatest series of all time, but was disappointed when I saw Wolf in the opening scene but not as a playable character
And Shiek because she's a ninja, 'nuff said there.

I ended up playing Ganondorf the most and the best because I fit him really well. He was deceptively fast and took skill to play.

Going into Brawl, I wanted to main Wolf because of previously stated reasons.
But now, I really like P&O. I really liked his games, he looks like a solid character, and even better, he looks extremely complicated. which just makes me that much happier when I turn out to be an Olimar legend (hopefully)

ZeekeXIV

Smash Journeyman
My main main(s): Luigi and Pikachu, are on both sides of the quarter.

I played Luigi's Mansion, plus I'd usually rather play as Luigi in adventures featuring both Mario bros. I'm sorry, but Luigi's the freaking man.

As for Pikachu, I actually hate him and his paralyzing cuteness, but apparently everyone else does. It's great to annoy your opponents. I also love the fact that he evolves into Raichu: the real Pokemon hero. Since I can't play as Raichu, Pika's as good as it gets. And unfortunately, he kicks a**. D***it...

Dokuro

Smash Ace
The only Yoshi games I haven't played are Touch & Go and Topsy Turvy, and I don't want to play them either; one's a minigame and one's a ******** version of Yoshi's Story.

I've only played bits of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. The only reason I'm playing ZSS is because she's cute.

pirkid

Smash Lord
SSB64: Started with Pikachu because I was Pokemon krazy. Then I changed to Kirby because I liked how he played.

Melee: Started with Kirby, thought I can use the same style I used in 64.

ERROR

So I switched to Marth. Why? Because my friend was Roy, I thought Roy was better (I was a nub back then) and I thought everyone would choose Roy over Marth. I always wanted to be unique, so I choose Marth, and I loved him.

Then I realized everyone uses him. >.<

Then I tried out Falco, because my friend wanted to play some ditto matches and his main was Falco, I loved Falco right when I picked him up,

Ganon, he was just so tough, and my friends' little brother wanted to prove that CF was better then Ganon. I picked Ganon, played with him for a few matches. Fell in love again with his power.

To this day my mains are Marth, Falco, and Ganon.

I plan to main Kirby/Falco/Marth/MK, in Brawl, mainly because I want to use/pwn with Kirby again, Falco and Marth are my favorites, and MK is my favorite Kirby character. (I played a quite a few Kirby games.)

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Pokemon Yellow are ironically enough my top 3 games.

But Pikmin...I've never touched it in my life. ._.; Olimar's play style just seemed so interesting...and when I played as him I picked him up pretty fast.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
I kind of have my own way. My favorite characters have priority in testing for being a main, but ultimately what decides it for me is playstyle and how they fit with me.

So far though I haven't mained anyone whose game(s) I haven't played so far by sheer coincidence.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Yeah. I've played StarFox 64 and Assault, some Mario titles, some Zelda titles, Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3, and some Sonic games. Some other games I've touched, but not really taken much time with.

Therefore, I might main Wolf in Brawl, Mario, Bowser, Link, Ganondorf, Snake, and Sonic. But things may change. Maybe less mains, maybe more, never know.

Kruton

Smash Ace
Aside from Star Fox, and Game & Watch, I've played at least one game from each franchise represented in Brawl.

Hm, probably why I never play spacies or G&W haha...enlightening thread ftw

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Interesting question. I'm an ardent supporter of Nintendo; I've been with them since I was three years old. My first game was Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt, and I have loved the Mario franchise ever since. So in terms of Peach, yes, I have played just about all of her games, most notable "Super Princess Peach" (which I loved!).

As far as Pit goes, I played "Kid Icarus" at a friend's house, but I never owned it. I also downloaded it on the computer (and beat it, of course). So I have played his game, but it doesn't hold as much nostalgia as it might for someone else. I'll download it on the VC, though, I'm sure.

And then there's probably my favorite new character: Lucas. I have played (most of) MOTHER 3, and I absolutely adore it. It's hard finding time for such an involving game, but I'm making my way through it at a rapid pace.

In short, yes, I have played all of my main characters' respective games, and I love them all. :bigthumbu

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I play my favorite characters, but which one I main depends on how they play.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
Well, I like to have played the character's game. When I saw Olimar on the dojo I thought it was so cool, I actually went and bought pikmin, which I missed out on, and ended up loving it. Most of the others I've just played their games. Ness was my main in the last game, and beforehand I had played Earthbound up to the poop boss (can't remember his name). The games I've played least are probably Kid Icarus and Ice climber. Kid Icarus freezes on me without fail when I play it, and I think I've played ice climber for 10 seconds, ha ha.
For Brawl, I want to be snake, olimar, ike, and Wario. MGS is my favorite game, and the sequels are in my top 10, 3 games I've played through twice, a rare thing for me. I have played about halfway through PoR, but I loved the GBA FE games. And I love all of the Wario Land and WarioWare games.

FuPoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SplashWoman
smash 64: ness

i actually started playing the game as just plain mario but as soon as i found out that ness could be playable, i flipped out. earthbound is my favorite rpg of all time. i wish i didnt have to give my old EB cart to my cousin.

melee: ness - game and watch

good ol ness. i cant say no to him.

mr game and watch, is another story. ive played his remade games with mario and cast as stars of GAME AND WATCH GALLERY for GBC. but uh mr game watch isnt really "playable". by unlocking old games and whatnot. but findin out he was playable in melee was a big plus to me. so i use him as well

brawl: ness - game and watch - wario - wolf

played all of his wario land/warioware (minus that wario land for the virtual boy) and was hoping he would be in melee but nope. at least hes in brawl which is pretty dam sweet.

wolf is badass. i loved starfox 64 and out of all the cast of characters there wolf was my favorite. just replaying the game trough the left side of the map (HARD) would get you face the hardest version of wolf which i loved doin most of the time. and who can forget his awesome quotes? "you're good... but IM better!"

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
I start with the characters I like (from their games or their concepts) and then when I've played them a lot and feel like branching out, Ill randomly try other ones I haven't before, except ROB. He can fall in a well and die, even though he wont because of his stupid upB x a billion.

Moochero

Smash Cadet
I start with the characters I like (from their games or their concepts) and then when I've played them a lot and feel like branching out, Ill randomly try other ones I haven't before, except ROB. He can fall in a well and die, even though he wont because of his stupid upB x a billion.
I pretty much do the same thing (except I actually like ROB :laugh:). I just got lucky as Toon Link is the character I wanted most in brawl and his playstile suits me perfectly.

Top Bottom