• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, I do appreciate the idea of the weapon type focus instead of focusing on only the sword. Fire Emblem is in a sense a series that can theoretically provide varies types of play styles due to the different classes providing different archetypes to toy with, Pokemon also does something along the same lines. A classic example that could in theory work is the classic weapons triangle (Sword, Lance, Axe), with other examples including Mages, Archers, Laguz, Manakete, and such.

But it sours the mood when that won't happen and fans of Fire Emblem will have distaste, while those unfamiliar with the series will view it as a negative impression.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
What about

Marth
Anna
Robin
Tiki
Hector

We get swords, lances, magic, dragons, and axes and together they spell M-A-R-T-H!
:grin:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Would you guys prefer

Marth
Ike
Roy
Chrom

Or

Marth
Anna
Tiki
Robin
Either/or honestly, though perhaps with a slight preference towards the former.

Food for thought: if you could create a roster for an FE fighting game, what would that roster be?

Here's my take:
Lords
Marth
Alm
Celica
Seliph
Leif(Master Knight)
Roy
Lyn
Hector+Eliwood
Ephraim+Eirika
Ike
Micaiah
Chrom+Lucina

Villains
Gharnef?(some sort of Sorceror, perhaps Julius or Lyon)
Yahn?
Ashnard
The Black Knight
Perhaps Hardin or Zephiel?

Others:
Caeda
Minerva*
Tiki
Anna
Robin
A Laguz?(I'm thinking Tibarn)

*Minerva would be able to call the whitewings to perform a Triangle Attack as a super move. also, she would use Axes as her primary weapon.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
What about

Marth
Anna
Robin
Tiki
Hector

We get swords, lances, magic, dragons, and axes and together they spell M-A-R-T-H!
:grin:
Genius.
Food for thought: if you could create a roster for an FE fighting game, what would that roster be?
It's times like this I feel extremely bad for only having ever played Awakening.
I'm a bad Fire Emblem fan, aren't I? :(
At least I spent a day looking at the wiki and Serene's Forest! :b:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There is a bit of a division between the fanbase, those that are veterans of it and those that started via Fire Emblem: Awakening. From experience, the latter tends to be more obnoxious.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
There is a bit of a division between the fanbase, those that are veterans of it and those that started via Fire Emblem: Awakening. From experience, the latter tends to be more obnoxious.
that's grossly exaggerated. new fans are great!

People forget what it was like when they first found out about the series.
Genius.

It's times like this I feel extremely bad for only having ever played Awakening.
I'm a bad Fire Emblem fan, aren't I? :(
At least I spent a day looking at the wiki and Serene's Forest! :b:
No! it's better late than never!

Either/or honestly, though perhaps with a slight preference towards the former.

my roster would be similar to FE cards I did a while back. I'm gonna try to go find it.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I wanna see at least one female from the FE series on the roster. Anna, Tharja, Lyn or even Lucina.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The new fans are ****ing horrible.
The new fans are why the FE series are continuing. I think a little empathy needs to come from the old jaded fans. Like I said, remember how good FE7 felt when we all first played it (or whatever your first game was).
Throw Micaiah and Female Robin on that list of possible choices too
And Tiki!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Still not going to provide pity for a bunch of mongrels.
Mongrels? that's a bit rough.

Off the top of my head, FE Fighting game roster:
FE1/FE11 Marth, Caeda, Minerva, Navarre, Gharnef
FE2: Celica, Alm
FE3/FE12: Katarina, Hardin, Catria
FE4/FE5: Ishtar, Nanna, Briggid, Finn, Sigurd, Leif, Arden, Arvis
FE6/FE7: Fir, Igrene, Gonzalez, Roy, Lyn, Hector, Nino, Sain Kent
FE8: L'Arachel, Lyon, Ephraim, Erika, Innes, Cormag
FE9/FE10: Ike, Soren, Micaiah, The Black Knight, Sothe, Nephenee, Titania, Nolan, Ranulf, Haar
FE13: Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Tiki, Anna, Henry, Walhart, Cherche, Inigo, Cynthia

Lords
Marth
Alm
Celica
Sigurd
Leif
Roy
Lyn
Hector
Ephraim
Eirika
Ike
Micaiah
Chrom and Robin
Lucina

Villains
Lyon
Black Knight
Hardin
Gharnef
Walhart

I'll cut this list down in a bit.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Well, uh, Awakening pretty much was catered to the weaboo(west)/otaku(japan) crowd....... And Awakening brought a lot of new fans to the series, so, you do the math.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Yusuke Kozaki (FE13's character designer) is an excellent artist who has also worked on the No More Heroes series. If his art looks like anime/manga, it's probably because he is a manga artist himself.

Let's not turn this into an FE13 bashing thing.

I think the fighting game roster should at least have one of every weapon, class, and transformation.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The first FE I played was the 2003 FE game on GBA. I never delved into the game, though, because it just didn't gel well with me especially after playing Advance Wars (which I prefer between the two). Awakening is the only one I actually sat and played through a bit. I believe I'm on the last few chapters. Haven't gotten around to completing it. I'm just lazy when it comes to these SRPGs but I will say Awakening has to be the only one I've actually gotten the furthest in playing and I've really been enjoying it.

I'm not a diehard fan of FE nor do I consider myself to be a real fan in general. I like the characters but the game not as much. But I think Awakening did a good job in introducing and bringing in new players to the world of Fire Emblem. It certainly kept my interest for a good amount of time compared to the 2003 FE and Sacred Stones. Never got around to getting Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn however. I never liked Ike so I didn't care for those two in the series.

Anyways, are the new fans really that obnoxious? What makes them so?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Habanero. Do you hate Awakening THAT much? Because FE had a large amount of weeaboo fans before Awakening. Awakening just brought more people in, and with them more weaboos. You're ignoring a lot of the cool people Awakening brought as well.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Anyways, are the new fans really that obnoxious? What makes them so?
The thing is Awakening has resulted in the largest influx of fans for the series since it's international. As such, this is the most amount of new fans we've see for awhile. And a really diverse group. As a result, the newer FE fans have a different focus towards the series. Namely, the elements that make Fire Emblem: Awakening much more of a gateway game. The avatar character, the easier difficulty, the pair up mechanic, support relationships. As they in grow in their fanship of the series, they eventually learn more about the series quirks and elements. But for some older fans, they either reject these elements or dislike the newer fans' enjoyment of them. Forgetting what it was like when they first got into Fire Emblem.

Sure, there are a few obnoxious fans here and there. But I'm sure if you look at this thread, you'll see a few obnoxious people here and there as well. And it has nothing to do with what was there first game in the series. People just can be obnoxious; the internet seems to bring it out no matter where you go. I hang around Serenes Forest, the local FE Form, and they all seem like a bunch of nice people. So I don't get where this notion is coming from. At least, that's my take on it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fire Emblem has ALWAYS looked like an anime/manga, that is its style
Eh...

Yes and no...

Before Awakening, FE had it's own unique style. Awakening brought the designs closer to the more mainstream anime style.

So you're right, but slightly off.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
At the end of the day, every where you go you'll meet obnoxious people. Some people need to learn how to deal with it, I guess. I'm getting the impression it stems from the "I was here first!" attitude. One really shouldn't care so much how others enjoy something. It's really petty.

Eh...

Yes and no...

Before Awakening, FE had it's own unique style. Awakening brought the designs closer to the more mainstream anime style.

In a way you are right there, but it is also kind of mixed.

The Fire Emblem series just upgraded through time, when it started it was more like an 80s anime and now it is current day anime.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Eh...

Yes and no...

Not really. FE's style has changed a bit with every iteration, but it's kept the anime and manga style of head shapes and character designs.

This isn't mainstream anime. The most mainstream anime in the world is DBZ or its modern counterpart Naruto, and the art of FE 6 to 8 is more similar than FE13.

If you think FE13 is mainstream anime/ too anime like, then that has more to do with your opinion on anime. Anime is just a name for japanese animation. Manga is just a name for japanese manga. The art for both media varies between, wait for it, artists. Like FE's art has varied between artists.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
All this friendship and give a try attitude is making me nauseous.

I've hated most Fire Emblem games about 2 minutes after playing them. I didn't even finish the demo for Awakening.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Okay now, should we just HAVE HAD THIS SERIES DEAD?

Instead of having a culminative package from FE11, FE1, FE4-FE5, and so forth in ONE GAME?

Obnoxious or not, new fans still help this series strife on after it's initial return to JPN-only status ala FE11 (perhaps due how bad FE10 was)

Fire Emblem is no different now than it was back then, it is just changing with the times. Trying to find new ways to bring people in.

If you think Awakening was the first to bring sexual content and whatnot in you would be wrong, it has been in since like forever. Even controversial topics have come up before, I certainly remember a certain brother and sister who could fall in love in their game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Even controversial topics have come up before, I certainly remember a certain brother and sister who could fall in love in their game.
If you mean Julia and Seliph, then no. That's only the result of a glitch. Though there is a confirmed Sister/brother pair, though it's from siblings separated at birth who didn't grow up together, which IMO isn't really that squicky.

If you mean Julia and Seliph, then no. That's only the result of a glitch. Though there is a confirmed Sister/brother pair, though it's from siblings separated at birth who didn't grow up together, which IMO isn't really that squicky.
I certainly remember hearing that Ephraim and Eirika could fall in love

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I certainly remember hearing that Ephraim and Eirika could fall in love

Yeah there was a false rumor that their japanese paired ending was different. it wasn't different. There is nothing between Ephraim and Eirika.

But there are definite incestuous elements to FE4, the main one is not among the main characters. It's between villain and a supporting character. Half sister and half brother, Deirdre and Arvis, one of which was not really consenting. Which lead to the birth of Julia and Julius.

But I am missing what this has to do with FE13.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't have as much of a problem with fanservice in FE, but FE13's was a little much. Older FE's didn't have swimsuit DLC for characters.

The fanservice/artstyle isn't the reason I dislike Awakening. I just find Awakening boring, and unlike other FE's I don't feel compelled to keep playing it. I couldn't tell you why that is, though.
But I am missing what this has to do with FE13.
I think he's trying to respond to people that complain about FE13's fanservice, trying to show that older FE's have risqué elements to them as well?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Many of FE13's elements are present in other games is what I think he was trying to say. The whole entire waifu thing has been happening prior to the avatar character; it's nothing new. Controversial elements have been brought to the series. Like incest.

Fanservice is an element because DLC is an element in games right now. FE is changing with the times. Other games have DLC similar to FE. The Tales series in particular very often dress up the character's in bikinis, though not through DLC in that case. The Final Fantasy 13 series has included similar style DLC. Most fans of the series just do what I did with FE fanservice's DLC: not buy it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wasn't fond of the the artstyle used in Awakening (part of the reason why I dislike Chrom a bit, other than the fact that I find his outfit strange, compared to previous lords in the series.)

I've grown used to it, but I'd like it if they revert back to the previous style.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I guess I really liked awakening though it's not my favorite FE. The artstyle differences never really impacted me positively or negatively really, it's just one form of animeish style over another.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
FE has had different art styles over time, because it's not always the same artist designing the characters. Usually, the art style changes whenever it's a game in a new setting. Both Tellius games (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) had the same character designer for example.

The only thing I don't like on Awakening's style is how ridiculous some designs look, especially the Armor Knights and Generals. I've gotten used to it eventually. In fact, there are some designs I actually like such as the Tactician, Grandmaster or the Dark Knight classes. Swordmasters and Tricksters also look cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom