• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Seeing the discussion on new FE fans, I tend to agree with Habanero on this. I've even seen people on Serene's Forest say they are annoying.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
One thing I didn't like about Awakening's art style, was that the characters were a little too pale, if you compare Anna's face in Awakening with the other games you would notice.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Play the game how you want. Let others enjoy the game they want. Its not like the way they play affects you. More fans for a game do increase the chance for the game to get future installments. The only real issue is if the game goes in a new direction.. Which its not.. Its just removing skill barriers that came in the older FEs.

My issue with awakening is the rushed feeling the story brings and that's about it. Awakening quirks still hold out strong tbh.

Also new fans tend to be annoying cause the younger generation gets more annoying the older you get. Heck if i think back to how i used to be when i was young, i find myself to be the same annoying person.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That's generally what happens once when a fanbase extends beyond it's original core audience. Happens with alot of things.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
We were all new fans at one point or another I really don't see the problem with having new fans join the group, that part of the process to the success of a series after all.

I have only 3 minor complaints on Awakening. My first complaint with Awakening are the chapter objectives rout the enemy is fine and dandy but i'd like a little variety here and there. Some defend maps would have been great, they also did away with the seize chapter goals although I prefer route the enemy than seizing but for variety's sake I like having all of them present. You know what else would have been great? Fog of war ;) that's my second complaint although many people don't really like it. My last complaint are the lord designs, i'd like them to take much more liberties with the main character please. I love Awakening though and I find it a very addicting game, I really like how it handled the new content. The voice acting is incredible and it really adds a whole new layer of personality to the characters and I would really like that to return to any upcoming Fire Emblem games.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I believe awakening spread the storyline too thin. As in they tried to cram in too much in too little time. The conquest of valm was an unneeded detour.

Had it not been there, I think they would have had the time to add detail to where it was needed.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't have any problem with Awakening's storyline. As I've found out Serenes Foreset, it seems I am in the minority on that front.

I read comics so have no problem with the time travelling/alternate universe children. Comics has more than enough to go around (there's Rachel Summer, Nate Grey, Cable, Stryfe, [that's all just one family tree], Huntress in DC, Bart Allen, etc)

I don't really compare storylines, so none of FE13's storyline had any deficiency for me on that front. I like Gangrel and Walhart as villains, so have no problems with those characters. Validar's not too interesting but he's just a cult leader to me. When it turns the focus to the avatar, I really liked that aspect of the storyline. I like the game's ending, especially when the Avatar kills Grima.

The voice acting added to the experience. I can't believe how terrible FE9 and 10 voice acting is in comparison.

My least favorite art in the series is FE11 and FE12. The characters looks so lifeless and lacking emotion. I think the portraits added to the game's static looking graphics (which extended to the animations).

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Sorry for the random question...

With the release of the FE11 OST (2008), apparently there was a bonus interview with Tohru Narihiro and Yuka Tsujiyoko (music composer). I was wondering if anyone knows some sources where I can find the interview.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Awakening's ending....

is the worst god damn choice ending ever. You either choose to live with grima sealed away or pretend to die then grima is gone forever! LIKE SERIOUSLY WHERE IS THE CHOICE HUH???

WHAT AWAKENING DID RIGHT IS: When MyUnit is Lucina's mother and Lucina confronts MyUnit about being the one who killed Chrom then its actually a different scene. Wish there were more support oriented scenes in general for minor characters as well.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I recently played through and beat Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (got both for $80.00 of ebay).

After seeing it, I think the best addition would be Micaiah from Radiant Dawn because she would be so different move-set wise from any character we have had so far and she is a notable character in that universe.

My FE chracters would be Marth, Ike, Micaiah, Roy (if there is time), and perhaps Chrom or Lyn last.

I think we only get 3 and I think it should be Marth, Ike, and Micaiah.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Duo characters are unlikely cause 3DS

But i keep saying Chrom/Lucina duo since that's like the main feature of awakening.. The pair up feature.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
After seeing it, I think the best addition would be Micaiah from Radiant Dawn because she would be so different move-set wise from any character we have had so far and she is a notable character in that universe.
I'm surprised that more people clamoring for different movesets don't argue this position. Micaiah is clearly the best option for a unique moveset. There isn't enough data to suggest it would be impossible to get two main characters from the same location (Tellius).

But i keep saying Chrom/Lucina duo since that's like the main feature of awakening.. The pair up feature.
Presumably, with the game being a year away, they can probably fix that for Ice Climbers (who they won't cut), and therefore there will be a chance for other team up characters.

Along with the Chrom and Lucina duo, I think Chrom and Robin duo also has a great chance considering how the game begins and ends. Even if you don't like the ending, the game ends with the two in strong focus. If you pick the Robin option, the game ends exactly as it began.

•Col•

Smash Champion

While Chrom/Lucina would be more likely to happen, they wouldn't be nearly as interesting of a character as Sothe/Micaiah.

And yeah, doubting any new duo characters to actually happen.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Creating a duo character isn't as clear cut as people make it out to be, it's actually complicated from both a design standpoint and a balance standpoint because you're basically handling two characters at once.

While Chrom/Lucina would be more likely to happen, they wouldn't be nearly as interesting of a character as Sothe/Micaiah.

And yeah, doubting any new duo characters to actually happen.
Pretty much since they are two separate classes and have two different fighting styles.

While it does rep the pair up feature, wouldn't it be better to do a team that would have differences? Maybe Chrom and Robin?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sothe and Micaiah would be a good combo but won't happen.

I don't see Ike going anywhere since he has been the main character of both the FE console games sold overseas.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Pretty much since they are two separate classes and have two different fighting styles.

While it does rep the pair up feature, wouldn't it be better to do a team that would have differences? Maybe Chrom and Robin?
On one level, Chrom and Lucina might be easier to design, because you could use one of them as a basis and basically luigify one of them. Technically, Lucina learned from her father, so they actually might fight similar for the purpose of this game, or share some of their attacks.

In terms of the pair up feature, Chrom and Robin make more sense within the context of the game. The game even gives you situations where you can only pair up these two, and the game begins and end with these two.

In terms of simply diverse movesets, the Chrom and Robin might be a better option. But with Chrom and Lucina, it might actually easier to make. And there is certain less awkwardness (not a canonized design, name confusion). I would be fine with either option.

In order to maintain balance, I would set standards by which they could switch. I would even limit the amount of attacks that feature a dual strike, much like how in the games the pair up partner doesn't always strike.

Chrom/Lucina makes it so you don't have to swap them and essentially they play exactly like ice climbers
I would prefer if you could swap them so it's just like pair up, but I could understand if they went this route. It's even more unlikely, but in this case, I would prefer Lucina to the main and Chrom to be the partner. Popo is already the main for the Ice Climbers, so it would cool to change things up for the second team character.

I see Micaiah and Sothe less likely because their appearance predates the pair up mechanic,

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
A blue haired sword user.

Mostly because it means either A) 2-3 blue haired sword users = Fire Emblem, or B) a blue haired sword user has been replaced.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Who do you guys think would be the worst Fire Emblem character to be announced for Super Smash Bros. 4?
the worst announcement (that's possible), with all due respect to FE7 fans, would be Eliwood. No one would be happy. Roy fans would feel gipped. Awakening fans would feel its a step back. Even FE7 fans would probably say, hey, why didn't they pick one of the two clearly better lords?

I also think if Roy somehow replaced Ike, that would be terrible. It would be a step back for the series. The series going back to its representation in Melee? Yeah, that would be very awkward. No matter how much Roy was luigified.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Who do you guys think would be the worst Fire Emblem character to be announced for Super Smash Bros. 4?
.......Tharja. D:

the worst announcement (that's possible), with all due respect to FE7 fans, would be Eliwood. No one would be happy. Roy fans would feel gipped. Awakening fans would feel its a step back. Even FE7 fans would probably say, hey, why didn't they pick one of the two clearly better lords?

Eliwood is the most underrated lord by FAR. People really don't get him enough credit.

He's my favorite lord, actually. I'd be happy if he got into Smash(probably even happier than if Roy got in), but I know he doesn't stand a chance.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The worst possible announcement of an FE character?

Owain. :troll: (Sorry, his day on RTC is fresh in my mind, lol)

Anyways, I think it would be...

Caeda.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The worst possible announcement of an FE character would clearly be Micaiah, because the amount of words I'd have to eat would constitute a feast. :troll:

That said, I wouldn't be against her inclusion.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The worst would be Tharja. Worst character in FE by far, regarding personality and characterization. Stalking the Avatar and treating her daughter like crap, what the hell.
She's not bad regarding gameplay. Hit Rate +20 and Pavise make her a good dark mage by having boosted hit rate and tanking abilities. Add Vengeance or Luna and she can also have Bowbreaker and Lifetaker, she becomes a force to be reckoned with.

And the best character would be Gangrel or Walhart. :troll:

Now seriously, just put Marth and Ike from Brawl and have Roy return from Melee.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I understand why Owain is popular: he's the typical comic relief character that pokes fun at several tropes and clichés. He's basically a walking parody with a lot of allusions to previous FE games.

There's hardly any character in Awakening I don't like, in fact. Tharja is the notable exception. She could have been the distant and cold dark mage girl without the stalking and being an abusive mother.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Personally, as my sig would suggest, Im a Nowi fan. Shed be a very unique character among the smash roster considering her design and the fact that shes a young girl/dragon. She could make for some very cool and interesting gameplay by switching between her two forms. Thats basically all I really care for in terms of newcomers. Although my hope is that Marth is replaced with Lucina, basically the same moves with a few updates and tweaks, a Marth 2.0 if you will. And I do not want Chrom in the game at all. I dont know he just never really left any kind of impression on me and he seems he'd be too much like Marth or Ike, not to mention theres so much BLUE in the game as it is lol.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
If we are talking about all FE characters (possible and impossible), clearly the worst option would be someone like Dimna:
Dimna

Owain and Tharja have their fans, and as newer characters they actually might have interesting movesets. Dimna would not.

Owain is actually very awesome in Awakening. With his sword hand, I always imagine him doing a burning finger, Hopefully after the FE reps are announce, people will forget his basic troll status and just play him in the way he was meant to be: as a side character. He unfortunately became a vehicle for the Awakening hype.

Tharja can be funny, in terms of her stalker storyline, as long you don't take it too seriously. But her popularity comes from her design.
.......Tharja. D:

Eliwood is the most underrated lord by FAR. People really don't get him enough credit.

He's my favorite lord, actually. I'd be happy if he got into Smash(probably even happier than if Roy got in), but I know he doesn't stand a chance.
Out of all the main characters (which is the pool by which we consider Smash characters) Eliwood would be the worst option overall with the FE fanbase. Other than the Japan Only games, which many in the fanbase haven't played, Eliwood is probably the least favorite lord by far. Even if you include those, he still might be the least favorite. Unless he rode a horse, he doesn't have anything that makes him stand out.
Personally, as my sig would suggest, Im a Nowi fan. Shed be a very unique character among the smash roster considering her design and the fact that shes a young girl/dragon. She could make for some very cool and interesting gameplay by switching between her two forms. Thats basically all I really care for in terms of newcomers.
What would you think if Tiki was in the game?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Personally, as my sig would suggest, Im a Nowi fan. Shed be a very unique character among the smash roster considering her design and the fact that shes a young girl/dragon. She could make for some very cool and interesting gameplay by switching between her two forms. Thats basically all I really care for in terms of newcomers. Although my hope is that Marth is replaced with Lucina, basically the same moves with a few updates and tweaks, a Marth 2.0 if you will. And I do not want Chrom in the game at all. I dont know he just never really left any kind of impression on me and he seems he'd be too much like Marth or Ike, not to mention theres so much BLUE in the game as it is lol.
Tiki would be a nice alternative, seeing Nowi's choice in clothing. Plus, Tiki is a lot more relevant to the series as a whole, being major plot points in a few and being playable in a few as well, yet still providing the same girl/dragon thing.
Also, why replace Marth with Lucina? That's just silly, one, because Marth is far more important than her to the series in terms of everything, pretty much, then why not just upgrade Marth? He's got his own uniqueness anyways, why change that?
I agree about Chrom. Marth, Ike, Anna, and perhaps Tiki are my choices, the last two don't have any blue ;)
Also, hi and welcome!

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Tiki would be a nice alternative, seeing Nowi's choice in clothing. Plus, Tiki is a lot more relevant to the series as a whole, being major plot points in a few and being playable in a few as well, yet still providing the same girl/dragon thing.
Also, why replace Marth with Lucina? That's just silly, one, because Marth is far more important than her to the series in terms of everything, pretty much, then why not just upgrade Marth? He's got his own uniqueness anyways, why change that?
I agree about Chrom. Marth, Ike, Anna, and perhaps Tiki are my choices, the last two don't have any blue ;)
Also, hi and welcome!

I dont know, just seeing as Marth and Lucina are basically the same itd make more sense from a gameplay standpoint to just replace him with her instead of having him and a clone. I agree though that Marth holds too much significance for that to happen lol I mean hell he's my main in Brawl so Im happy either way. Id probably go with your character choices as well ahaha, Im new to the franchise anyhow. And thank you <3

What would you think if Tiki was in the game?

Im down for Tiki. More family friendly anyway lol

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Marth and Lucina are basically the same
Shive_What_small_45.jpg

Like, seriously, I'm not a Lucina supporter but even I know this isn't true. It's not hard to look at how Marth plays in Smash and how Lucina is in Awakening and see that the two aren't even remotely similar.

loganhogan

Smash Ace

Chrom but only if he's a direct clone of either Ike or Marth.

I understand why Owain is popular: he's the typical comic relief character that pokes fun at several tropes and clichés. He's basically a walking parody with a lot of allusions to previous FE games.

There's hardly any character in Awakening I don't like, in fact. Tharja is the notable exception. She could have been the distant and cold dark mage girl without the stalking and being an abusive mother.

Aside from cursing her daughter I thought Tharja was funny, I somewhat see her as a grown up version of Ashley from Wario Ware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom