• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I think that's a very far fetched reason for adding Lyn. Also, Navarre was actually a mercenary in the very first game.
yeah well technically he's the first "swordsman" even tho mercenary/hero. Just a thought, I assume you already heard/seen all the reasons for including lyn. If not i'd happy to state them later when i'm not busy with life.

@diddy kong, glad it made you laugh :awesome:, although i'm not sure if your high or something when you replied :p
@habanero, I wish man... I really wish that would happen, but there's so much newcomers to FE that are clamoring for Corn tho...

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
So how is the Fire Emblem discussion going? Same as ever?
A lot less anger I think.

The Toon Link reveal helps an Awakening rep's chances a bit. Like Toon Link, it would be awkward to have a character based stage without the character in question. It's different than Smashville in Brawl because we are talking about currently represented franchises that could use these characters rather than others. Smashville was an example of unrepresented franchise in Brawl.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Toon Link reveal helps an Awakening rep's chances a bit. Like Toon Link, it would be awkward to have a character based stage without the character in question. It's different than Smashville in Brawl because we are talking about currently represented franchises that could use these characters rather than others. Smashville was an example of unrepresented franchise in Brawl.
This statement is so ironic, I cant help but laugh.

Until today, that very stage was Toon Link's biggest "obstacle". :laugh:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I really hope they add a new Fire Emblem character that doesn't use a sword to the roster. Don't get me wrong, sword wielders are cool, but there are good potential non-sword wielders to choose from.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Yea that outfit is too revealing it's much less noticeable in her glowing picture.
what about this outfit?
We all know what miracles hair does to cover just the right parts, but in addition to a revealing dress?
Modesty is honestly the hottest thing I've ever seen, this is better at least.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
If I understand IsmaR right, I would agree that the former term is better. The Marth, Ike, and Roy route is "Hey these are all the characters you've seen in smash before route" not "these are the FE characters you've been looking for" route.

The FE in general doesn't cover enough of the series aspects.
I would say this would be FE in General:
Marth
Micaiah
Tiki

That why you have all the main types of units better. You have the physical weapon unit, you have the magic unit, and you have the transforming stone unit. The series would be represented well and all those characters are either main characters or major supporting, recurring characters.

Would everyone be ok with this option?
Marth
Ike
Micaiah

If we are talking simple moveset diversification, this might actually be the best option without cutting any of the brawl reps. Micaiah is the only main character from the prior generation that doesn't use a sword (even Robin uses a sword). It would not overrepresent Tellius, but I don't see that as a problem as Awakening and the Tellius games were the only ones to have new game last console generation. And the Tellius games are some of the best in the series.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
If we are talking simple moveset diversification, this might actually be the best option without cutting any of the brawl reps. Micaiah is the only main character from the prior generation that doesn't use a sword (even Robin uses a sword). It would not overrepresent Tellius, but I don't see that as a problem as Awakening and the Tellius games were the only ones to have new game last console generation. And the Tellius games are some of the best in the series.
Ganondorf usually has a sword but does not in smash bros. Although its fun to play with in movesets, I think Robin probably would not hold a sword if he were added to smashbros. Especially since, he/she is only shown holding a tome in the cutscenes.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If I understand IsmaR right, I would agree that the former term is better. The Marth, Ike, and Roy route is "Hey these are all the characters you've seen in smash before route" not "these are the FE characters you've been looking for" route.
While I agree that, yes, Marth+Roy+Ike is the option favoured by some non-FE fans for Smash, I disagree with Gingerbread Man's original wording. to me, that implies that anybody who wants those three to be in Smash isn't a "real" FE fan, which I'm sure many Roy+Ike supporters would object to.
Ganondorf usually has a sword but does not in smash bros. Although its fun to play with in movesets, I think Robin probably would not hold a sword if he were added to smashbros. Especially since, he/she is only shown holding a tome in the cutscenes.
I actually think that Robin, if added, would probably end up using Sword for melee attacks, reserving tome use for Specials and possibly a few normals.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
While I agree that, yes, Marth+Roy+Ike is the option favoured by some non-FE fans for Smash, I disagree with Gingerbread Man's original wording. to me, that implies that anybody who wants those three to be in Smash isn't a "real" FE fan, which I'm sure many Roy+Ike supporters would object to.
I was thinking of that trope Marth Debuted in Smash Bros when he said that, in that it was more of a joke.
Remember that Ganondorf in OoT doesn't use a sword, which his Melee appearance is based on. And Brawl carries over his OoT moveset. Which all come from the fact he is clone. Even if he was original for 4, him using a non-sword moveset could be referencing OoT, much like TP Zelda uses all OoT Magic.

I think the defining feature of the tactician class is the use of swords and magic, the physical weapon and the arts. Representing both principle forms of combat in FE. Because of this ability, he/she can relate to all sides of combat as a strategist, making him/her stronger in his strategy. Robin not using his/her sword would be just as awkward as Ganondorf is with his dumb sword taunt in Brawl.

For the intro thing, in canon you can only hold one weapon at a time. Also, you use magic to kill Grima and Chrom. So it makes sense that is your weapon you show while facing Grima in the intro. So I wouldn't really make a big deal of Robin holding the tome, as it was a fifty-fifty chance it could have gone the other way. Considering the other two are holding falchion, it probably would have been awkward holding a generic sword. A tome works better because you can tell what tome it is.

Chido72

Smash Cadet
To the Lord or FE General routes, I'd say Lord because I like Ike's moveset and the third character (Robin, Lucina, whoever)'s potential moveset too much. As much as people want more FE diversity in Smash, I like Ike.
To be honest, I think my preferred FE Smash roster would be:
Marth/Roy/Clone Lucina
Ike/Clone Chrom
Robin or Non-Clone Lucina.
As much as I like Fire Emblem, I don't think it's popular enough for more than three characters. Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda get away with it because those are Nintendo's three flagship series. Although hopefully with Awakenings massive popularity FE becomes something more than 'Those games that Marth chick is from' to the general Smash/Nintendo audience.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
What about this:
Marth
Robin
Tiki
I would be fine with that as well. But my goal was to not have a second sword user, which Robin is. She/he not using a sword would be awkward for me, as outlined above. Micaiah does not use a sword user, at all.
Marth, Anna, Tiki has two sword users.
Less sword users would contribute to the less sword fatigue. Allowing more sword users in Smash overall.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What is up with the persistence that it's the weapon causing the fatigue, instead of Chrom and Lucina causing redundancy? After all, it's the character in question not the weapon in question people have problems with, otherwise you'd be seeing a lot of pessimism for the likes of Takamaru and Shulk.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
What is up with the persistence that it's the weapon causing the fatigue, instead of Chrom and Lucina causing redundancy? After all, it's the character in question not the weapon in question people have problems with, otherwise you'd be seeing a lot of pessimism for the likes of Takamaru and Shulk.
There's an upper limit to how many sword users you can have in the game general. Hence, most people don't expect Takamaru, Shulk, Isaac, Samurai Goroh, and Chrom all in one go. Overall, a certain amount of diversity in fighting styles as expected. We don't want Smash to be just a weapon or more specifically sword brawler.

I don't really much care for FE fatigue, as that hasn't stopped Ike from being the top played character in Brawl. To tell you the truth, I don't really see it too much either. Most people appear to be fine with either of those two being the third rep, so long as they aren't clones (and they don't have to be). There are just a few loud voices here and there. But they seem to be not be pleased about any type of FE discussion.

What I was trying to do was reflect the weapon diversity of Fire Emblem in the FE in general option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom