• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they have one. I'm working all day today, so I probably won't be able to call today.

There are about 6 within a hundred miles of me.

I'm thinking of selling my DS games. So, if anyone wants a freebie pkmn before I give it away, shoot me up a message.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I've only played the Monsters series of Dragon Quest/Warrior. I loved the GBC one. I never tried the main series.

RPGs like that usually don't keep my interest for very long.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
yea thats a pretty ugly picture

anyway

QUESTION OF THE DAY!!!!​

What do you consider a reasonable venue fee for like a regional tournament?​

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Any combination of $10 and 5$ for Entry and Venue. No regional tourney/most nationals shouldn't cost more than $15 total.

w/o dubz that is.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
QUESTION OF THE DAY!!!!​

What do you consider a reasonable venue fee for like a regional tournament?​
$15 is where I draw the line (not counting venue fee, whatever that is). No one would feel comfortable paying more than that at a regional if they didn't realistically stand a chance of winning.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Five or ten bucks is good in my book.

Inception's awesome, guys. Definitely highly recommend it. It's one of the best films of the year, easily. Going to see Winnebago Man tonight.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
yeah sometimes they were just 5 dollars..those are fun.

but i try to go to places without door fees so it'll be 10 for singles 10 for doubles.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah...yeah i would...

need a better incentive, because it would seriously be amaaaaaazing if someone could do this for me

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I won another tournament today. Only person I lost to was an unranked Marth in pools (he didn't even make it out of pools, heh). Makes me feel like I really need tips from others to fight him, or I need a secondary to stop the sword.

I made ~$300. Neat stuff.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I stopped using PT against Marth a while back. Bowser's much better in the MU.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Good **** winning, Reflex.

I've never had any problems against Marth. He's one of my fav MUs.

Ivysaur should never have to approach. Razor Leaf just ruins Marth's life.
Ivysaur's B-Air out-ranges Marth's F-Air by a little bit.
If Marth uses the Multi-stab Finisher of his Side-B, Ivysaur can free herself using Bullet Seed and it will hit Marth.

Flamethrower is godsend against Marth. Especially under the platforms of BF.
Anything Marth does that's not perfectly spaced is grab bait for Charizard.

Squirtle just needs to not exist in this MU. He's outclasses by Ivy & Zard entirely here.
Worst scenario of switching immediately is Ivysaur eating a Shield Breaker when Squirtle switches out.

Hope some of that random trivia was helpful.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Good **** winning, Reflex.

I've never had any problems against Marth. He's one of my fav MUs.

Ivysaur should never have to approach. Razor Leaf just ruins Marth's life.
Ivysaur's B-Air out-ranges Marth's F-Air by a little bit.
If Marth uses the Multi-stab Finisher of his Side-B, Ivysaur can free herself using Bullet Seed and it will hit Marth.

Flamethrower is godsend against Marth. Especially under the platforms of BF.
Anything Marth does that's not perfectly spaced is grab bait for Charizard.

Squirtle just needs to not exist in this MU. He's outclasses by Ivy & Zard entirely here.
Worst scenario of switching immediately is Ivysaur eating a Shield Breaker when Squirtle switches out.

Hope some of that random trivia was helpful.
I don't understand...

What's stopping him from shielding Razor Leaf (or anything Ivysaur can do) and punishing her for it?

If I'm not mistaken, if Marth does Dancing Blade at the fastest possible speed, Ivysaur can't Bullet Seed out.

Marth can SDI Flamethrower toward you and land a free Up-B.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ivy can BS out like, before 20% and out of the downward 4th strikes at most if not all percents, i think

marth can also uair you out of flamethrower or if their SDI is really good, just pop out behind you and dsmash/DB/whatev

squirtle is the best one in this matchup on certain stages...for example, lylat. squirtle gives marth on the ledge a lot of trouble with quick aerials, ftilt, and good grab range. on FD and the like, your best option is probably to control space as best you can with ivysaur/charizard (get him above you and/or off stage as much as possible, and avoid being put in that situation yourself) and play as safely/gay as possible with squirtle. squirtle's mobility lets him deal with marth's pressure zoning better than most characters. don't worry about fatigue.

charizard's usmash is pretty good, yeah. don't forget to use it out of shield when necessary. mix in flamethrowers and rock smashes, b-reversed and otherwise, when it is fairly safe to do so to keep the marth honest. if they start adjusting to those moves, adjust with them and punish what they are doing. punish marth's landing lag whenever you can, keep track of when marth uses up b to grab the ledge. they'll usually try to land on the ground with an aerial the next chance they get so ftilt it with charizard or whatever you like. be quick and precise with your punishes, some marths like to up b if they use a laggy attack like fsmash and you are too slow to punish it. your nair is a good juggle trap near the ground but don't rely on it too much since it is fairly easy to punish. uair is kind of like a nair that you use higher up in the air, i believe it has slightly deceiving range when you use it out of a midair jump since charizard flaps its wings once during the attack, and jumping before it will give the flap more vertical momentum. utilt has massive range above you and your grab is great.

a lot of people like to make a big deal of marth's pivot grab vs squirtle. keep a water gun handy, be precise with shellshift bairs, and don't be too aggressive.

i hate ivysaur in this matchup, i feel its attacks are much too slow to directly compete with anything marth does, which combined with its movement speed prevents it from really taking advantage of a marth in a bad position in the air. funny enough i think ivy is possibly the best edgeguarder in this matchup but you have to be very careful dairing/nairing marth before/during the up b. bair is alright for this purpose too. practice grabbing the edge with your tether before marth grabs it so you get free uairs/nairs. zard fair is good if the marth is holding toward you to get to the stage, the hitboxes last a while so you can do it outside marth fair range and still get the meaty hit.

i think any of the pokemon can be your main carry and any of them can be your auto switch, depending on the stage and how good you are with them

shrug feel free to correct me on anything, i have been playing PT less and less lately

post 3800, nukkas

Toby.

Smash Master
hahahaha oh vermy :)

I started a massive explanation of what to do in the Marth matchup, but got bored. I'll finish it one day.

Katakiri, razor leaf sucks against marth. He can cancel it out with almost every attack he has, and has the range+speed to punish most of the time.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
TOBY!!!! I miss my Australian PT mentor, and this is beyond true razor leaf is nothing but a leaf against metal in this MU. Marth can literally handle razor leaf with every move in his arsenal.

Steeler nailed everything on the head so listen to that and also if on a platform based stage like Lylat or Battlefield.....don't be afraid to platform camp Marth either with Squirtle, it prevents the horrid grab release to an extent along with forcing an approach out of Marth. This is where Marth can make a mistake in landing and end up getting landing lag. If this happens keep your reactions up and take advantage of it because the point of platform camping outside of keeping distance and evading the GR will be to have Marth make the mistake and allow you to capitalize .

Player-3

Smash Hero
I won another tournament today. Only person I lost to was an unranked Marth in pools (he didn't even make it out of pools, heh). Makes me feel like I really need tips from others to fight him, or I need a secondary to stop the sword.

I made ~$300. Neat stuff.
marth destroys pt

nair (apparently) can beat rock smash and tipper charizard out of it, and its not hard to kill him and/or camp/defensive/etc until he's really tired

and agaisnt squirtle all i did was not go for the grab since you kept trying to punish it

and ivysaur is just ********, lol

and i SHOULD be ranked |:<

i would recommend playing dedede, he beats marth with nothing but grab, bair, and ftilt
<_<

Player-1

Smash Legend
I lost another tournament 2 days ago. I lost to a ranked pokemon trainer in bracket (he beat everyone in pools except an unranked marth player, heh). Makes me feel like I really needs tips from others to fight him, or I need a secondary with a sword.

I lost ~$24. sadface.

no srsly, I main diddy, why is squirtle is so broken....halp me ='''(

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Squirltes "broken" for about a minute..then he's tired...lol

and yea we really have been playin PT less and less...I actually didnt use PT last tournament untill the end of it in a friendly against a wario (I 3 stocked him btw)

umm also at that tourney Aposl tried to time this new guy out and He did first match and tried it again on RC third match because he lost second match and with like 30 seconds left he got bair'd by the D3 and didnt tech the swing with ivy which caused instant death because the other platform hadn't formed yet

Serves him right..I was disgusted when i found out thats how he tries to play now...

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
timing out is a legit strategy...i don't hold it against anyone that does it, except by MK planking. because MK doesn't need to time people out to win, **** it

but it did feel REALLY good when i beat a player that had timed my PT out twice in tournament by almost timing them out as wario.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
squirtle is literally the best character in the game imo and i'm being completely serious

its a shame about fatigue

edit: hi toby

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Timing out a D3 as PT when this D3 probably didn't even know you could chaingrab ivy and charizard???

idk i played him later on and 2 stocked his D3...i dont understand why a timeout was necessary

Top Bottom