• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Linguini

Smash Master

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
anybody wanna explain to me exactly what's the difference between hip-hop and rap? i really don't see some huge, diving line between the two aside from random rappers continuously saying "you guys are rap and i'm hip hop". I hope people do know that rap stands for rhythm and poetry.
Nah, actually there is a huge difference between Rap and Hip Hop. You have it all backwards. Hip Hop goes beyond the realm of music and is more of a cultural phenomenon than a genre. The five pillars of hip-hop culture are: MCing, DJing, breaking, graffiti writing, and knowledge; at least essentially. What we now call "rap" is the combination of mass marketing and heavily produced music.
meh. to me, there is no real difference.

breaking down the term "hip-hop":
1. Hip - what's new and "in"
2. Hop - dancing or having fun
to me, this is pretty much everything on the radio

Rap - Rhythm and Poetry
This is the more conceptual, intellectual and observational angle of the music.

i think people try to hard to put some major distinction between the two and it really just ends up ****ing up the genre as a whole. i swear, it's irritating as hell to go on youtube, listen to conceptual songs and then read the comments from all these dudes that think they're hip-hop 101 just because they listen to underground music. like really, they think that's the ONLY way rap is supposed to sound. and it's irritating, at the same time, when i youtube snap songs and keep reading " the SOUF IS TAKIN OVA" and how lyrics aren't important at all. blah.

i just categorize everything as good or ****ty rap, for the most part. soulja boi and eminem, though they are in 2 completely different leagues, are a part of the same genre......or at least that's how i look at it : ).
Rap is the music. Hip hop is the entire culture. Breakdancing, DJing, rap music and graffiti, the four elements of hip hop. Of the four elements, rap was the last to happen, as it was originally just the DJ and the hypeman. Later on, the hypeman took center stage. .
tl;dr
Rap is Music. Hip-hop is culture/lifestyle.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
wait, so you went through all the trouble of quoting a bunch of posts you didn't read? and then repeated the exact point that said posts were making?
lol fun times. i guess he just wanted one liners.

@ETWIST - lol oh ****. that guy is actually signed??? that song is terrible man lol.
he has grey hair on his goatee.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Except he's country, a fake crab, has dreads, and is old as ****.
1st of all don't knock the mans hustle, he may be a HORRIBLE *** rapper and what not but don't call him a crab unless you are claiming to be a blood.

This dude may be one of the most garbage rappers I have ever seen but who ever signed him (Jeezy i guess) made him their *****. He got to where he is by being someones ***** I wouldn't be surprised if this old ziggan was some homeless crackhead before he started pushin weight for Jeezy.

soap

Smash Hero
lol seems like everyone who listens to him likes feather the most XD
my favorite is Horizon i like his instrumentals the best ^^
my favorite is definitely aruarian dance. I got into him thru champloo so ya that song always brings back good memories :)

although i like all his albums and the hydeout mixtapes

second favorite would prolly be reflection eternal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnhJoyAYsEo

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I like Ice Cube as much as the next old-school NWA fan...but you can't do "Are We Done Yet?"'s squeal to "Are We There Yet?"....two of the sappiest family films I've ever seen with all of the clutzy falling that even Disney Channel would be embarrassed to include...

Then take back up the old Ice Cube persona...It's like if the Rock came back to wrestling...it can never be the same...

No doubt he's gonna keep making great music, but it's gonna hold him back if he acts like he didn't take the 180 degree turn from with the way he used to be in '87.

Just my 2 cents on some current events...Discuss?

soju

SD God
my favorite is definitely aruarian dance. I got into him thru champloo so ya that song always brings back good memories :)

although i like all his albums and the hydeout mixtapes

second favorite would prolly be reflection eternal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnhJoyAYsEo
lol yea i listened to him a bit before Champloo and when i started watching it I'm like, this music is a bit familiar then i decided to look it up and what do you know, Nujabes
I'm still really surprised how his death didn't really reach the media that fast, i barely found out a month ago :[

soap

Smash Hero
lol yea i listened to him a bit before Champloo and when i started watching it I'm like, this music is a bit familiar then i decided to look it up and what do you know, Nujabes
I'm still really surprised how his death didn't really reach the media that fast, i barely found out a month ago :[
ya

i found out via this thread

***** car accidents man, first nes noob..

i've definitely been drivin safer, get my playlist set so i don't gotta **** with the ipod while i drive

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
loooooooool....it's 6am...just listened to that Krayzie Bone track....loooool that third verse killed me....wow..I just zoned out.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i think he should go back just for rockin that outfit...

not a fan of wiz khalifa. really don't see what's so special about him, personally. good **** on ghostface, though.

Jane

Smash Hero
krayzie bone is that dude!

also wiz is good because of his amazing beat selection. well, if you like electronic beats.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
@Jane: meh. his lyrics aren't impressive though. not saying he's gotta be on some astronomical metaphysical type of **** lol. but yeah, he doesn't hit hard to me.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
1st of all don't knock the mans hustle, he may be a HORRIBLE *** rapper and what not but don't call him a crab unless you are claiming to be a blood.
Hey, he's a FAKE crab, not a REAL crip. w/e the ***** is garbs and he's probably the worst rapper I've seen from Jeezy.

Top Bottom