• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WORLD HOBO 3: 185 Ledge grabs later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shlike

Smash Ace
Despite me not making it out of pools I had the most fun this tourney. Shoutouts to future, nicole, shugo, fujin, for making this tourney hilariously fun.

also good **** to dakpo :)

more shoutouts later.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
1: Ally==:metaknight:/:snake:/:marth: Good job as always. You didn't use ICs in tourney? Also, bring your canadian *** to MD/freeA please.
2: Razer==:snake: It was real fun teaming with you. Amazing placings and best Snake of all time. OF ALL TIME.
3: Dojo==:metaknight: You look indian. Or Mexican. (TX? Maybe the latter?)
4: ADHD==:diddy: Wyatt going in?
5: Vinnie==:gw: Suck it up. Don't disgrace a crew member with that kind of play again. Great placing my friend.
5: Atomsk==:metaknight: You're a goofball.
7: Shugo==:metaknight:/:falco: You're an even worse goofball. I'm not sure if I enjoyed your public inebriation or not.
7: Will==:dk2: It takes balls to do what you did. Good placing. Hopefully it'll change the future ruleset.
9: Inui==:metaknight: It was fun rooming with you. I think the seeding was decent, but the upsets caused some confusion. I got your back.
9: Logic==:olimar: Pyronic Fart. You suck. Probably the best MD/VA player, but you still suck. Step it up.
9: Tyrant==:metaknight: It was nice arguing with you over something pointless because you weren't even part of the conversation and had no idea what you were arguing about. Hard-countered by Fox much?! Way to ruin the seeding. :D
9: Trela==:lucario: Your soul is mine. That is all.
13: Mvd==:snake: Dude. I'ma DQ you.
13: Smoom==:popo: Fun rooming with you and watching Xyro desecrate Nana. Or was it Popo? I know how Xyro likes dem lil boys.
13: RedHalberd==:metaknight: Wrecking Florida much? And Gnes? Should have placed higher. Come to the next national you jerk.
13: Illmatic==:peach: Best Peach? Highest national placing Peach yet? I also suck at the MU. You never helped me out so I guess I'll have to figure it out and rematch you again.
17: Esam==:pikachu2: Dunno what happened to you. You'll probably place top 3 at the next national, no worries. Thanks for the support dude. Favorite player from Florida by far.
17: Domo==:metaknight: I didn't really talk to you.
17: Poltergust==:yoshi2: Undisputed best Yoshi. Great job.
17: Mr. Doom==:ike: You beat Coney. San couldn't. You're amazing.
17: Gnes==:diddy: Why are you down here and Razer is up there? Silly Texas players...
17: Espy==:sonic: We didn't get to play friendlies. Still fun to hang around with though.
17: RichBrown==:olimar: You're still an amazing player and good person. Sorry about what happened to you this weekend. Thanks for the tips on how to become a consistent player.
17: Zeton==:fox: Wrecking Tyrant, but then placing lower? Sounds like someone I know...
25: Hylian==:popo: Maybe you'd place higher if you didn't have such an attractive girlfriend to distract you.
25: Silly Kyle==:peach: I dislike the Peach MU. I'll learn it one day. Nice job.
25: Holms==:wolf: Didn't get to play you, but noticed you had a decent Wolf. Good placing.
25: Zori==:olimar: Didn't talk to you. I just remember someone going "Oh no! Zori?!" after learning they had to play you next. That fear...
25: Seibrik==:metaknight: I dunno man. I see your point as far as prepping up that Wario. But, I also dislike people who sandbag since people pay a lot of money just to play in pools at a national. You should respect players and play your best in tourney at all times, and prep yourself in other ways (friendlies? I saw you playing Afro all day MK dittos. Why not Wario then?)
25: Infinity==:metaknight: Good MK. Didn't get to play it, but you know a good one when you see it. Good job.
25: Dphat==:metaknight: You... are phat.
25: Esca==:metaknight:/:pit: I swear, your pool had the gayest players of all time (yourself included.) Gay Pit gets great placing.
33: SkyPirate==:olimar: I heard you wrecked Xyro in pools. You have my respect.
33: Jerm==:toonlink: Didn't talk to you.
33: Noid==:samus2: Dunno. You lost the MM. Clearly Xyro is the best Samus
in the ditto.
New goal: place higher than 33rd at a national maybe?
33: Nicole==:peach: I think Zelda is more of a ***** than Peach, and I hate Peach.
33: Ripple==:dk2: Didn't talk to you.
33: Kurado==:sonic: Good placing for coming to Texas for the first time in a region that has one of the best Sonics. Dem Canadian players...
33: Dakpo==:zerosuitsamus: Thanks for the advice. ZSS is another MU I do need to learn.
33: FlipHop==:diddy: Don't quit. Unless you dislike the game. Life isn't a good enough excuse.
33: Xaltis==:metaknight:/:falco: You and Afro look the same. Just saying.
33: Chaz==:marth: Dunno why I went to Pictochat. Regardless, nice Marth and nice playing you.
33: Coney==:dedede: You suck. Pick up Wario.
33: Teh Future==:popo: Didn't talk to you much. Nice playing you in doubles though.
33: Ozz==:falco:/:marth: Nice playing you in LT? Didn't get to see/play you otherwise.
33: Fogo==:dedede:/:snake: Didn't talk to you.
33: Nike==:marth: Didn't talk to you. But great job at getting out of pools (the whole Raz dispute) and great job at winning your MMs.
33: Dmg==:wario: You're gay. But I didn't really get to experience it. Maybe next time.
49-139=pools

Jnig: I had fun playing you in pools. You'll make it out next time with that skill, no worries.
M35: I hope I got your name right. Had some good matches with you too.
Tallman: I like how as soon as I picked Sheik, you switched characters. =.= If you're truly worried about something like that, let me pick first. I was going to go Sheik first game no matter what. I think your ROB is better than your Lucas anyway, or maybe that's just because I have no ROB experience and play with Pink Fresh all the time. GGs
Shlike: Man, I still need to learn ZSS. That's three ZSS mains I've lost to in the past six months. GGs
Sync: I think I like TX because of the support you guys provide each other. I fell under the pressure because of it. I enjoyed Rich Brown giving you advice during the matches as well ("Use nado when Samus is on the ledge! She has no options!") Thanks Rich =.=

Special shoutout to Xyro: Nice seeing you again. I offer you the same hospitality when you come to EC. And, for your part, I offer this same hospitality to ALL TEXAS PLAYERS. Just a heads up for KTAR and CoT. I didn't realize Trela would be your personal hyperbolic time chamber for the Samus ditto. I'll be more prepared next time. Teach me your mid tier knowledge, and I'll teach you high tier. For now, I'll let you be best Samus
at the ditto.

Special shoutout to MD/VA: Texas and Florida have such strong communities because of the support and cheering they give their players during matches. We should emulate that. Thanks for the support for those who watched my matches. Especially Boss. Thanks man.

If I've missed anyone, don't worry. I'll make a new post just for you. Had a blast, and I'm coming back next year.

heytallman

CTALL
Posting to subscribe. Had more fun at last year's WHOBO, things seemed generally more hype and the venue was better...but I still had fun this weekend. Shoutouts later.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Is it possible to post a list of all the pools as well? Also Melee. There are a lot of people I wanna give shoutouts too if it's possible :)

Bracket was terribly balanced imo tho. Several people you'd expect to get top 10 eliminated each other in losers prematurely. Upsets did work no doubt but I still think it coulda been done better. Whatevs. Inui is still pretty cool ;)

Sheeeeee

PokemonMasterJamal3

Smash Apprentice
Again, Melee results?

Sorry if I'm being annoying, but I've heard literally nothing about Melee from here, even though it was at this tourney. :(

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You can't really criticize the bracket, since it was based off of pools performances, RedHalberd. It was perfect in that sense. I'm pretty sure you could've easily taken first seed in our pool, for example. The point is that players should put more emphasis on their pools matches. The botched up seeding could've partially been due to possible sandbagging or other variables that could occur during the pools section.

Of course, that's all just me being curious.

I DO, however, want to see the numbers and whatnot on Brawl Singles pools. I wanna know why some people had 10 man pools, while others only had 7.

And top 3 make it out? That sounded like a big no-no from the get-go.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Is it possible to post a list of all the pools as well? Also Melee. There are a lot of people I wanna give shoutouts too if it's possible :)

Bracket was terribly balanced imo tho. Several people you'd expect to get top 10 eliminated each other in losers prematurely. Upsets did work no doubt but I still think it coulda been done better. Whatevs. Inui is still pretty cool ;)

Sheeeeee
Not trying to start something, but just from looking at the results, I think the seeding was fine. ESAM was an upest, Seibrik lost to Vinnie, but Vinnie placed 5th so can you really call that an upset? You did work yourself. Tyrant was sent to LB early. RB got gay'd. Atomsk and every other MK is finally getting hold of the Diddy MU.

Is there anything else wrong with the results that couldn't be explained by upsets?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
did you guys know that at big street fighter tournaments they have bracket pools with like 50 people in each pool and that only top 2 make it out? and if they're doing top 8 only the guys who got second are automatically in the losers bracket

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Pools performances potentially altered the bracket to some extent, Noid.
@GIMR: No, I didn't know that. That's kinda odd, but whatever floats their boat.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This is probably one of the main complaints. Some good, solid players didn't make it out of pools only because they ended up getting 4th seed...keep in mind that it was a 48-man bracket instead of the usual 64-man.

Dojo

Smash Champion
You can't really criticize the bracket, since it was based off of pools performances, RedHalberd. It was perfect in that sense. I'm pretty sure you could've easily taken first seed in our pool, for example. The point is that players should put more emphasis on their pools matches. The botched up seeding could've partially been due to possible sandbagging or other variables that could occur during the pools section.
This. No johns about seeding. People (including myself) don't take pools seriously enough and end up getting a different seed.

That plus the multiple upsets early on in bracket caused some of the really amazing players a lower placing than everybody expected.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
And it should stay as 48-man bracket to actually reward people with getting first seed. And make players try in pools. This whole sandbagging (if you're not playing your best with your best characters, you're sandbagging) is yet one of the many problems with the smash community.

Deal with the consequences or start trying.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Dakpo (ZSS) and Silly Kyle (Peach).

F'ing mid tiers. I would be more comfortable playing players like Gnes and ESAM than that ****. There are things I need to learn before the next national clearly.

OverLade

Smash Hero

Of course, that's all just me being curious.

I DO, however, want to see the numbers and whatnot on Brawl Singles pools. I wanna know why some people had 10 man pools, while others only had 7.

Woah everybody chill out Im not tryna turn this into something serious. Im not upset about my own bracket, I just find it hard to believe how so much of FL was on the same side in winners and ended up playing each other in losers (we all lost, no johns for that, but I'd figure we'd be more separated to begin with).

When the bracket is posted I'll explain what I mean. Or I'll be proven wrong and yall all get free Timmy Chans on me at the next WHOBO ;)

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Weren't the only FL vs FL matches in bracket you vs. Seibrik and MVD vs. ESAM? Two matches. In the entirety of the bracket? And they were matches 3-4 rounds in?

Mofo I'm holding you to that Timmy Chans. That chicken was goooooooood.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
True. But that could've been worked around by simply removing one of the side events.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Or Xyro getting a new laptop ('06 model? Windows XP? **** battery? Really?)

Not to mention too many matches were wanted on livestream. Just save the replays and upload them. Spectators can get their hype from twitter.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Weren't the only FL vs FL matches in bracket you vs. Seibrik and MVD vs. ESAM? Two matches. In the entirety of the bracket? And they were matches 3-4 rounds in?

Mofo I'm holding you to that Timmy Chans. That chicken was goooooooood.
The bracket was literally

Seibrik vs Chaz ->

--------------------------------> Seibrik vs RedHalberd

RedHalberd vs Xaltis ->

Now I don't know how this kind of scenario is caused, but I assume it's because we're all on the same side in winners, correct? Once again, I didn't see the bracket, but I never see this kind of thing happen even in my own region so I'm confused, even though we all lost early.

editl:
Timmy Chans is ****ing amazing.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Well yeah, I have the same problem with low tiers. I hadn't heard of silly Kyle until today and looks like he is **** lol

Well we can hit the training chamber up north if you want, I have a whole empty house we can use. You me Marcus Phil Joe and Caitie in the summer. I play a lot of characters now for learning purposes so I'll be good matchup experience.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Oh man, the MOMENT Xyro announced that the laptop died on him without saving, I thought to myself, "We're gonna be stuck here after midnight."

I got very sad.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Shoutouts

Timmy Chan: you make some damn good food.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Anything to do with Seibrik can be explained by his pools seeding and his loss to Vinnie. I wouldn't blame that on the bracket.

I can't explain the Xaltis one. I still think you should buy me Timmy Chans because A) I'm amazing and B) I don't think I'll be able to finish the chicken and I know you love chicken. ;)

Gnes

Smash Master
Dojo-Good Job Tony for coming back and ******. I honestly don't know how you do it. Like you come back and play better than used to LOL. Housing was super fun, and your welcome at my house anytime. Also, your so GAYYYYYY in teams. Good **** at 3rd. You better make your come back now. No excuses. Your obviously still the shiz.

Razer-My TIMMY!!!!! You have no idea how proud I am of you. Not only did you almost make my prediction true(Razer/anti will win a national soon) but you beat Wyatt TWICE!!! The oppression is over lol. Also, thanks for teaming with me, we definitely got some of our old feel back and we'll only get better, so lets keep it going. Still gotta get that first :). But still, way too good for getting 2nd.

Fogo-Carried hype on your back all weekend lol. You already know your always welcome at my house anytime, and I'm glad your seeing improvement. Keep going man, your know where near your prime. Also, good job not falling for the trap this time. Cracker Barrel was legit as always. See you in a month or two bro. MOTHER****ING GARY OAK!!!

More shoutouts later...

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Eh, could have done better. Didn't really do anything too notable at this tournament. =/

Will said:
Btw shoutouts to Poltergust for going to the rave!!
I will JV 4-stock you.

(Sorry, Joel lol. You're good and this match is just a really bad one of yours.)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The good things about WHOBO 3

1. Over all, WHOBO 3 was a success. It broke WHOBO 2's record(107 players) and at one point it broke WHOBO 1 record(140) but the few players decided to drop out :( . I paid the winners in CASH on the spot cause thats how i do and pound 5 is gay bro(plank gay bro). I am extremely happy that 99% of the people that went enjoyed it(despite what you are about to read below)

2. I beat Noid in our 50$ mm.

3. Nicole is HOT. Im talkin' hotter than lava mixed with Tabasco sauce in Sahara Desert.

4. Hanging out with Smoom/Trela/Illmatic/Silly Kyle/Inui/Noid in a hotel room the entire weekend.

5. Timmy Chans is TASTY!!!

The bad things about whobo 3.

1. The venue. Anime Matsuri moved to a smaller venue because it was cheaper and it was MUCH closer to both airports/people in houston. The catch is that the venue was trash! It smelled like old people rotting and it was poorly air conditioned(whobo room had 4 AC units pumping 50 degree air in and the average temp was 75-80). Anime Matsuri was also held on the LAST WEEKEND OF THE RODEO. I knew parking was gonna be bad but when the hotel manager comes up to me and says "our 5 parking+make-shift parking lot is at 100% capacity" at 8am...........

2. I got the "honor" of testing out the NEWEST version of TioPro and what a ****ing mess that was. If u renamed players, it deleted them from the list/bracket OR it would make their name invisible oh and it would change their seeding and location at random. If you try to move "byes" tiopro would crash. If you have too many players entered in to tiopro(more than 50) it lags. If you have more than 32 stations in tiopro it lags. If a person loses in WFs, then wins LFs and then wins GF, tiopro will not show that player as first oh and it wont show the 2nd place player either. They just disappear. Once you make a pool on tiopro u cannot REPLACE or RENAME a player. You must redo the entire pool. Last but not least, when the battery dies or the power cord gets ripped out of a laptop......tiopo does not auto save. So that means i had to re-enter 50-55 players. Tiopro also shows wrong pot totals and pot payouts when a player is removed from the program.

3. Pools went fine cept for 3 issues. Kurado vs Broly and Nike vs Razmakazi and Seibrik vs Infinity. Normally i do what the **** i want at my events because i dont trust anybody to do MY work(after all, nothing gets done right unless you do it yourself) but i somehow allowed inui to changed my mind and decided to use the "method that every TO uses but Xyro" when it comes to pools. Something about When a pool is done you add up the sets and the person with the most sets won moves on but if there is a tie you start counting up the actual matches or some sort of BS thats totally ********. So since i THOUGHT i knew what inui was talking about i told kurado/broly/raz/nike what inui said. However, i somehow got that wrong cause what inui told the rest of the pools was different than what i said. So it(maybe me?) pretty much screwed Broly/Raz out of a pool spot. I got super angry at inui(maybe that was wrong) because had i gone with my normal pool system(that ive used since melee) NONE of this could/would happen. The only reason i didnt is because MAYBE(just maybe) the way others do it is superior to mine(would this count as a john?). Anyways, so i decided that ill just revert back to my system(since its 100% flawless and was created by the GOD named XYRO) and let broly/nike move on. Well, broly never came back for bracket(cause the last he knew, he was out) so Kurado moved on. Razmakazi literally started to cry when i told him nike made it out and i felt really really bad so i asked him if it would be OK if he had one last match with Nike and he agreed. They did it and Nike won AGAIN. So thats done.

*quick note* Nike vs Razmakazi had one of the biggest crowds i have ever seen. Super cool matches.

Now onto Infinity vs Seibrik. This one is weird. Seibrik sealed 2nd seed in his pool but thought that even if he beat his last foe(infinity aka 1st seed) it wouldnt matter and he would keep his 2nd seed. So he goes wario for fun or w/e and loses. Turns out, had he won he would have got 1st seed. So he comes up to me and pretty much(aka NOT word for word) says "if u allowed those other guys to get a 2nd chance, so should i." At first i was like, ok yea thats fine but Then once infinity came up there and they both told me the story(you just read) i decided no. Here is why. The issue with the other guys was with the rules(because i said something different to them) and it made a difference in who made it into bracket and who went home. But Seibriks issue was the fact that he noticed he could have got 1st seed had he gone mk(his main) and he wanted a redo. So i decided that Infinity keeps 1st seed and seibrik keeps 2nd seed. Moral of this infinity/seibrik story is.....GO YOUR MAIN AT ALL TIMES and TRY YOUR HARDEST AT ALL TIMES and you will not have to worry about this situation.

4. RichBrown vs Will: 185 LGs later

I am a firm believer in "punish the offenders and ONLY the offenders." MK(maybe pit) is the reason why we have a scrooging rule....not ****ing charizard(yet hes under the same rule). The act of plainking(different than stalling) is banned because of MK.....not ****ing link(yet hes under the same rule). LGLs were created because of MK(maybe gw and maybe pit)......not ****ing ganon(yet hes under the same rule). It is 100% unfair to force character than CANT plaink/stall to have a LGL. Being on the ledge is extremely safe for lots of characters and since a LGL of 40 is put on them they now have to worry about going over the limit and pray a timeout doesnt happen(because they would lose due to the rule). Thats dumb and not needed.

People(illmatic especially because he might possibly be the most moronic player i have ever met) also need to learn to CP stages that prevent ledge stalling and character that BEAT ledge stalling. People need to also learn that when you go to a tournament, you pretty much "sign" an agreement to play by the rules of the event. Wether you think they are fair or not doest matter an ounce because you WENT to the event.

Anyways, I talked to WILL about what he did and i asked him flat out "is there any way Olimar can stop DK from stalling on Yoshis island" and the answer i got was basically a "no" because olimar would literally put him self is MAJOR OBSCENE MAJOR risk of dying if he went off stage to try and stop DK. So this goes back to what i just said: CP stage/character. So no johns Rich Brown.

But then it hit me.......

RichBrowns money, hard work and skill with olimar were negated because of a stupid *** tactic and a lack of rules to stop it. He went from EARNING a 2 or 3 stock the previous match to losing the set to a ****ing DK who grabbed the lege 185 times. The only way he could have beat it was to go MK. I agree that people need to have back-up plans for the stupid **** this game dishes out but at the same time there needs to be some sort of limit. It is totally unfair to say "just go mk/snake/diddy..... it will solve your problem." Do really want this game to boil down to 3-4 characters THIS fast? Im flip-flopping(or flip-hopping lol) alot now so i think what im trying to say is I used to be "lgl-mk-only" but now im totally open to LGL for more than just MK. Wether is 50 for all or 50 for all but 40 for mk or just add lgls to only the chars that require them....w/e i think something needs to be done and im totally open for doing that. I will be talking to the bbr-rc about it.

One last thing....

*sets some TASTY bait*

I destroyed RAZMAKAZI/ SILLY KYLE/NICOLE multiple times(won every set) with SAMUS . Samus goes even with peach or slightly beats her.

oh and my top 5 peach list

Illmatic
Silly Kyle
Nicole
Razmakazi
Level 9 peach
A Stop Sign
A parked car
DARK PEACH

One last thing........

Even though i beat Noid in our 50$ mm and he got ***** in LT teams. I think we are even. He is much better than me at high tier MUs but he sucks wang vs mid tier MUs. I suck at high tier MUs and excel at mid tier MUs.

IT HAS BEGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Silly Kyle is a Wifi Peach like Illmatic and LLOD who can **** offline too, them boys go in.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Together NoID and Xyro will combine to become the ultimate Samus. And then Samus might become a mid tier.

Only like five people use her in the first place anyway.

shlike

Smash Ace
yeah Nicole was easily one of the hottest girls at the convention and there were a lot of hot girls

gj nicoles parents for making the smoking hot peach main that is nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom