• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winter Game Fest VI - Feat. DrPP, M2K, Mango - $4000 Smash Pot - $7K Tot. Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion

Southern California's premier tournament series is back for its sixth year.

100s of players.
20 ft. projector screen.
10,800 square ft. venue.

Venue:
University of California: San Diego
Price Center Ballroom A&B
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla CA 92092

Directions:
- From the North -
  • Take the 5 South
  • Exit on La Jolla Village Drive
  • Right on La Jolla Village Drive
  • Right on Via La Jolla
  • Straight into the Gilman Parking Structure
- From the South -
  • Take the 5 North
  • Exit on Gilman Drive
  • Left onto Gilman Drive
  • Pass Via La Jolla intersection
  • Left into the Gilman Parking Structure

Entry:
Doubles: $10.00 per person ($20.00 per team)
Singles: $10.00 per person
Venue: $10.00

Melee:
Doubles
1 round of pools
32 - 48 man bracket depending on attendance
Singles
1- 2 rounds of pools depending on attendance
48 - 64 man bracket

Brawl:
Doubles
1 round of pools
32 - 48 man bracket depending on attendance
Singles
1- 2 rounds of pools depending on attendance
48 - 64 man bracket

Rules:
New Wobbles Compromise:
Wobbling is legal but may not be used to take any more than one stock, regardless of percent. Wobbling is only said to occur once the grab becomes unbreakable. In the event the wobbler mistimes the technique or fails to KO the opponent after the grab is otherwise unbreakable, the player is still charged with their one wobble.

The Mage's DQ rule:
After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

All other rules:
Will follow the rule set listed for Pound V.

Side Events:
All side events can be entered free of charge

Saturday January 22nd
  • [*]Call of Duty: Black Ops
    • checkin @ 11 a.m.
    • starts @ noon.
    [*]Super Street Fighter 4
    • checkin @ 11 a.m.
    • starts @ noon.
    [*]WarCraft III: DotA
    • checkin @ 10 a.m.
    • starts @ noon.
    [*]StarCraft BW
    • checkin @ 2 p.m.
    • starts @ 3 p.m.

Sunday January 23rd

• [*]StarCraft: II
    • checkin @ 10 a.m.
    • starts @ noon.
    [*]Blazblue: Continuum Shift
    • checkin @ 10 a.m.
    • starts @ noon.
    [*]Halo Reach
    • checkin @ noon.
    • starts @ 2 p.m.

As of now, Rockband 3 and Guitar Hero 5 will be featured on the main stage for free play purposes.
Schedule:
MELEE
SATURDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Set-ups/Registration
  • 12:00 PM - Doubles Pools
  • 4:00 PM - Singles Pools
  • 9:00 PM - Doors close
SUNDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Finish remaining Single Pools
  • 11:30 AM - Singles Pools 2 (pending on attendence)
  • 2:30 PM - Doubles Bracket
  • 5:30 PM - Singles Bracket
  • 9:00 PM - Emergency Venue (if necessary)

BRAWL
SATURDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Set-ups/Registration
  • 11:00 PM - Singles Pools
  • 4:00 PM - Doubles Pools
SUNDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Finish remaining Doubles Pools
  • 12:30 PM - Doubles Bracket
  • 4:30 PM - Singles Bracket
  • 9:00 PM - Emergency Venue (if necessary)
Guaranteed Pot $4000 ($2000 Melee, $2000 Brawl):
Doubles
1st 50% - $500 (250/250)
2nd 25% - $250 (125/125)
3rd 15% - $150 (75/75)
4th 10% - $100 (50/50)​

Singles
1st 50% - $500
2nd 30% - $300
3rd 10% - $100
4th 5% - $50
5th 2.5% - $25
5th 2.5% - $25​
Airport Info:
Airport Connections
Lindbergh Field (SAN) is San Diego's primary airport. UCSD can be reached from Lindbergh Field by taxi, San Diego City Transit, or Airport Shuttle.

San Diego City Transit
If traveling by San Diego City Transit from the airport take bus route #992. Ask to purchase a one day bus pass ($5.00) as there are no longer free transfers. Route #992 travels from the airport and proceeds to downtown San Diego, where you can transfer on Broadway, to the #30 which goes directly to UCSD.

Pick-Up
San Diego is the home of tons of generous smashers, so if you can give us a heads up we can definitely make a trip or two down to the airport to help out any out of state competitors.

Housing:
Smasher Housing
There will likely be UCSD smashers that will be more than happy to house you. All you have to do is ask. Post in either this thread, the San Diego triweekly thread, or send one of our staff a PM and we'll try and get you situated.

Hotels
If you'd rather stay at a hotel there's a Sheraton and Hyatt right across from the venue as well as UCSD shuttles that go to campus every 15 minutes. I'll work on getting deals with the hotels and update accordingly.

We'll have constant media coverage to keep everyone up to date that can't make it to the tournament.
  • 20 ft. projector screen and seating for hyped match all day long
  • Streaming interviews
  • Live stream for Melee
  • Live stream for Brawl
  • Twitter accounts updated during the tournament
  • Pool and Bracket images posted online

Currently recruiting any and all TVs from craigslist. This will be updated with a total once everything starts wrapping together. Bringing a setup will also waive the venue fee.

Food Outlets
Price Center has over a dozen places to eat literally right outside of the venue. All we ask is that you clean up after yourself if you plan to eat in the venue.
  • Espresso Roma (coffee shop)
  • Jamba Juice
  • Panda Express
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill
  • Shogun (Japanese food)
  • Subway
  • Tacone Wraps (sandwiches, wraps, salads
  • Bombay Coast (Indian food)
  • Burger King (open 24 hours)
  • Santorini Greek Island Food (Greek food)
  • Sunshine Market (convenience store)
  • Tapioca Express

Pat [Azn_Lep] - 760 291 7530

Save the date

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Assistant TO List:
JTB
Sheridan

Volunteers:
JFlo
Rickety

Setups:
DJMirror
Lodge Setup
Lodge Setup
Lodge Setup
Lodge Setup

Recording Gear
Stab

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
competition probably won't be so easy this time around connor :(

who do you guys wanna see for a good player fund?

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
alright folks i'm definitely not going to be able to do this alone, so here's where you guys step in.

Melee TO: Me
Brawl TO: Champ
Made TIO: Neal

Asst Melee TO:
Asst Melee TO:

Asst Brawl TO:
Asst Brawl TO:

Pool Captain:
Pool Captain:
Pool Captain:
Pool Captain:
Pool Captain:
Pool Captain:
Pool Captain:

you guys get the point.

So asst TOs will need to be able to handle TIO and call matches when needed. Pool captains just need to be responsible individuals who don't mind keeping track of some matches.

NEXT BIG THING - WE'RE GONNA NEED SETUPS
So i'm going to try the whole craigslist thing and recruit as many TVs as possible. again though, i'm definitely going to need some help. So to all you SD county folk, check up on the "free" section of craigslist from time to time and see if any TVs are available. Bring them to a monday smashfest and I'll take them off of your hands and store them for triweekly/WGF purposes.

I'll keep track of all the TVs we've accrued and post an inventory in the second post. Of course bringing your own cubes and wiis is going to be a must for the tournament.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
If I am able to make it, I'll be an assistant TO for melee!

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
sweet will do guys.

so the apex thread just inspired me to make a pretty OP with graphics and stuff. i'll update it in a bit, before any of that though i wanna run this by SoCal

New Wobbles Compromise:
Wobbling is legal but may not be used to take any more than one stock, regardless of percent. Wobbling is only said to occur once the grab becomes unbreakable. In the event the wobbler mistimes the technique or fails to KO the opponent after the grab is otherwise unbreakable, the wobbler is still charged with their one use for that match.

Jun.

Smash Lord
New Wobbles Compromise:
Wobbling is legal but may not be used to take any more than one stock, regardless of percent. Wobbling is only said to occur once the grab becomes unbreakable. In the event the wobbler mistimes the technique or fails to KO the opponent after the grab is otherwise unbreakable, the wobbler is still charged with their one use for that match.
I think to put things in a more concrete form "wobbling" should be defined as a specific percentage done through the tech. like 100+ or something. But then what if someone just wobbles some to like 50 each time or something and says it wasn't wobbling. Its just kinda ambiguous unless numbers are involved.

I personally think wobbling should be allowed. If you were fighting 2 people for your life and one guy grabs you you'd be dead lol.

oh yeah btw

OP is OP iykwim

Lovage

Smash Hero
ooooooo

is there anything else about the sc2 tournament? like a ruleset page and shiet
edit: are there any prizes for the side tournys

Jun.

Smash Lord
ooooooo

is there anything else about the sc2 tournament? like a ruleset page and shiet
The other tourney rulesets are totally separate from smash but luckily a fellow UCSD smasher is in charge of the entire thing this year (Engdrew - Andrew Wu).

You better get ready though Starcraft and Dota at WGF usually has the craziest players.

Prizes for side tourneys depends on the sponsors. My freshman year the sponsors were giving aways tons of free stuff and prizes like xbox games this that, but then they started giving lame stuff as prizes and no free stuff.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Don't forget about SSF4!

I have no idea how PNOY won last year. That was some wack Bison lol.

JDM

Smash Champion
I'll try to bring some of the UCI crew down if there is nothing else on this date.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
do we have to have our bags and things checked every time we go in/out the venue again?

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much all other wgf questions you're going to ask me :) I'm the one putting the event together. Pat you can put me down for setups and helping out but I'm sure you know how busy I'll be with everything else

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
so, something i've been thinking to get a little more attendance is to have smash 64? just a thought. i know there's plenty of people from nor cal who host 64 tournaments regularly and should be able to host one if they are given the chance to =p

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
jun, it's outline pretty clearly

"In the event the wobbler mistimes the technique or fails to KO the opponent after the grab is otherwise unbreakable, the wobbler is still charged with their one use for that match."

Glowworm - we can probably have a 64 side tournament at a triweekly, but it's pretty unlikely that we can pull it off at WGF simply because each setup is a necessity. I'd definitely be down to play at smashfest too some time.

OP updated

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
It's problematic for the same reason that any other ban on wobbling is problematic, namely that wobbling isn't well-defined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom