• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wily Tower - Mega Man's Custom Moves

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I need to experiment more, problem is I don't have many friends I can play against. But maybe I should practice on some lvl 9 CPUs.

Hyper Bomb and Ice Slasher are really slow, so they're hard to figure out. HB also seems problematic on Battlefield, despite what that other guy said. The problem is if your opponent isn't on the platforms, they're much harder to hit with it and if they're someone quick they can punish you if you toss it up and it goes too high because of how slow HB is compared to MB.

Ice Slasher, like I said before, seems like it should be relegated to teams and FFA, but maybe someone can find a good use for it.

I need to experiment with DW and SB still.

Beat and TH I don't know much about. I had heard they could be used like RC to break combos, but Beat especially is not as fast so it could be too easy to punish if you use it that way. TH is much slower, but the tornado obviously provides some protection.

As for the shields, Skull Barrier is obviously useful against characters with good projectiles. I need to try it out against a live player, but it seems to reflect as soon as the first skull comes out, so that should be quick enough to use against Samus or whoever. I don't know about Plant Barrier, given how long the start up is, it doesn't seem to last long enough to be too useful.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm always down for wifi, nigga. <3

HB on BF is going to be match up dependent, more than likely.

BUT in terms of getting around platforms, you can toss HB pretty low and being able to cover all platforms from below from the ground with HB is useful.

Yes it's slow, but smart usage is key.

And you can throw bombs below platforms with Down-Left/Right angled HB and in the path of your opponent, forcing them to jump or shield.

Also, I wouldnt call HB slow. It moves pretty fast. It just has a forced arc you need to work around.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I meant the throwing animation is slower than MB.

Maybe I need to double check, but it definitely felt like it was easier to get hit after throwing one than it is with MB.

The problem with randos from the boards is that we both have to be on the boards to set up a match. With my real life friends I have other ways of contact.

Unfortunately I only have two or three friends who I know have gotten/will get the game, and one of them is much better than me (so frustrating to play against) and the other two much, much worse than me.

Honestly I'm in that position where I'm not really good enough to do well in a tournament (b/c I'd have to actually practice whereas my skills come pretty much only from playing regularly, not from dedicated practice to particular techniques cuz I'm just not that dedicated) but better than most players otherwise. My one friend who I'm much better than warned me that he was pretty good... then lost almost every match even with me playing random characters. Meanwhile, I told my other friend I was pretty good and then lost like 80% of matches to him even as my mains.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yeah the HB toss animation is indeed longer than MB, so yeah there is technically a longer punishment window.

I dont think that's a huge concern though.

As for the matchmaking, for people on the board, you can do PMs to find a method of IMing each other which will make everything easier.

There is also the Smash 4 ladder on NintendoDojo that might pique your interest.

But yeah, you're gonna have to put in some extra effort if you want to improve lol.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You can catch your own Hyper Bombs. Throw up, jump, airdodge and BAM; now you have a bomb
that you can throw with less lag than usual. They'll also never explode in your hands, despite
being lit bombs. Keep in mind, though, that when thrown after being caught, they arc the same way
as if they were thrown normally when aiming in that direction.

With this, you can jump, throw down and catch your bomb again almost instantaneously.

All this info was obtained by watching Ninjalink's video.
Though I wonder... can the bombs be caught by enemies, and if so,
do they behave in the same way?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Though I wonder... can the bombs be caught by enemies, and if so,
do they behave in the same way?
Yes, they are technically items and can be caught. Anything you can do with a regular item can be done with HB. The unique properties of the bombs may affect the utility of these various techs, but AGT, item drops, etc. can be done in the same way you would for Metal Blade or any other item.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Also when you regrab your bombs, you can now only throw in 4 directions so when using them so that needs to be kept into consideration.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I meant the throwing animation is slower than MB.

Maybe I need to double check, but it definitely felt like it was easier to get hit after throwing one than it is with MB.

The problem with randos from the boards is that we both have to be on the boards to set up a match. With my real life friends I have other ways of contact.

Unfortunately I only have two or three friends who I know have gotten/will get the game, and one of them is much better than me (so frustrating to play against) and the other two much, much worse than me.

Honestly I'm in that position where I'm not really good enough to do well in a tournament (b/c I'd have to actually practice whereas my skills come pretty much only from playing regularly, not from dedicated practice to particular techniques cuz I'm just not that dedicated) but better than most players otherwise. My one friend who I'm much better than warned me that he was pretty good... then lost almost every match even with me playing random characters. Meanwhile, I told my other friend I was pretty good and then lost like 80% of matches to him even as my mains.
I actually think I fought you today, the name seems familiar? Did you come across a Black/Yellow Mega named Andi online? That's me, I think our fight might've actually been too laggy to determine who was truly better.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I actually think I fought you today, the name seems familiar? Did you come across a Black/Yellow Mega named Andi online? That's me, I think our fight might've actually been too laggy to determine who was truly better.
Nope. I wouldn't show up with this name on For Glory.
As for the matchmaking, for people on the board, you can do PMs to find a method of IMing each other which will make everything easier.

There is also the Smash 4 ladder on NintendoDojo that might pique your interest.

But yeah, you're gonna have to put in some extra effort if you want to improve lol.
Honestly, I don't want to put in the time necessary to play in tourneys. I have other things to do.

My aspirations are more modest: beat most people on For Glory. This I can probably manage just through playing and learning about techniques without dedicated practice to get quick input strings down (and maybe my fingers just aren't nimble enough? I dunno).

But the 3DS especially doesn't concern me since it seems I'd need to practice even more to get my fingers to be able to do the inputs consistently, because the 3DS controls are worse and/or I'm less used to them... having a real joystick that won't frequenty perform smashes when I want tilts and vice versa (I also find it hard to consistently get short hops vs. full jumps for some reason, but since I don't use tap jump that's a different issue) is gonna be so nice on the Wii U version. Presumably the Wii U version will suffer less lag as well, especially since you can set up a wired connection, which I might do if it seems like a problem.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've been wanting to give Ice Slasher a chance because.... well, if Leaf Shield has its uses, so can Ice Slasher.
But the only use I've gotten out of it is as a launcher for higher percents.

On higher percents, opponents will be turned into an ice block for like a split second, but they will be launcher upwards too. This is where I follow the oppponent and abuse Uair and Metal Blades.
Also, for further launching options, I also use Tornado Hold (seriously, if you trap an opponent with TH, and you both rise to the top of the screen, and you follow it with Uair, I think you can land an early KO). Seems like when I use it to get back on the edge from below, TH might blow opponents upward.

Anyway, I think Ice Slasher is bad on low percents, average on high percents. I mean at least if you manage to freeze your opponent, it'll give you time to breathe. I'll keep exploring further setups, I just happen like this move a lot. :p

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Megaman's default is the best in general except Crash Bomb, Danger warp is best all around option most and Crash bomb is more situational. the rest are really match up dependent.
A characters Stength is measured by their approach and KO ability.
Metal Blade, Leaf Shield are his best approach options and Danger Warp is amazing a KOing
Crash Bomb is kinda lame. Since it doesn't have immediate knockback it's not very safe and it has little priority and Does nothing to shield. Also it's not winning any awards in damage. To use Crash bomb safely you need distance, but with distance its easily nullified. I can go on about how situational Crash bomb is but i'll stop here.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Megaman's default is the best in general except Crash Bomb, Danger warp is best all around option most and Crash bomb is more situational. the rest are really match up dependent.
A characters Stength is measured by their approach and KO ability.
Metal Blade, Leaf Shield are his best approach options and Danger Warp is amazing a KOing
Crash Bomb is kinda lame. Since it doesn't have immediate knockback it's not very safe and it has little priority and Does nothing to shield. Also it's not winning any awards in damage. To use Crash bomb safely you need distance, but with distance its easily nullified. I can go on about how situational Crash bomb is but i'll stop here.
Getting the most out of Crash Bomb means knowing what the enemy
will do when they get one stuck to them rather than the damage it deals.
If they keep their distance and shield, you can damage it more with your projectiles,
or maybe grab if you can close the distance. If they like to rush in and pass it off,
you can use Leaf Shield or buster shots to deter them, and if you know
that they will roll to do this, you can Flame Blast them to the sky.

There's no denying that Danger Wrap is an amazing tool.
It can actually be fairly similar to Crash Bomb in the mental
impact it has on your opponent, forcing them to take actions
that can leave them vulnerable to something else.
But it doesn't do much to people who aren't in a disadvantageous
position outside of anti-air, unlike Crash Bomb which
serves more to get them in that situation in the first place (when
used smartly and in conjunction with his other projectiles).

So Danger Wrap is better at pressing your advantage against
aerial opponents, while Crash Bomb helps keep grounded opponents on their
toes.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So, we should figure out the custom movesets to be put into the official standard custom moveset thing, since it hasn't really been decided yet.

http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...oveset-project-mega-man.380348/#post-18151855

While we had at first started doing this democratically (and still can), I'd campaign for the following:

1. 1311 Vanilla with Danger Wrap
2. 3311 Shadow Blade+Danger Wrap
3. 1211 Vanilla with Ice Slasher
4. 1112 Vanilla with Skull Barrier
5. 1321 Danger Wrap and Tornado Hold.
6. 1113 Vanilla with Plant Barrier

The issues that these present are that there are no hyper bomb or no beat sets (besides 2222 which is included by default), only one plant barrier set (for a move that is really similar to Leaf Shield) and tornado hold set.

Basically... there's a strong emphasis on Vanilla.

AA said he wanted to make a Christmas update, so we should get ourselves agreed on something.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Eh. Beat isn't very good. He'll save you in a rare occasion, but Rush is just better most of the time.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So, I'm surprised I didn't know this, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Danger Wrap has 0 shield damage like crash bomb, and I think it has 0% priority as well (meaning it clashes with every move and doesn't blow up). Is this correct? I did a quick set with a Mii Brawler to test how safe it was (safer than our other kill moves for sure) and found those two things out that I didn't know before, or forgot due to the amount of time that has elapsed since I last tried out the move. (Been too busy with IS/UAir traps).

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I think more discussion on Shadow Blade is necessary, especially for a matchup like Sheik. It feels like a great place to use it because of it going out and back in, and she can't grab it from you.

I'd talk about Danger Wrap/Tornado Hold but people already know their goodness. I do think Shadow Blade has a few redeeming qualities in a few MUs where I think Metal Blade fails.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I think more discussion on Shadow Blade is necessary, especially for a matchup like Sheik. It feels like a great place to use it because of it going out and back in, and she can't grab it from you.

I'd talk about Danger Wrap/Tornado Hold but people already know their goodness. I do think Shadow Blade has a few redeeming qualities in a few MUs where I think Metal Blade fails.
I find that Shadow Blade works well against certain characters that make the rest of :4megaman:'s projectiles useless, like :rosalina:, and can potentially lead to a powerful setup assuming the target is close enough.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Shadow Blade works pretty nicely against large characters as well. More body to trap in the boomerang effect.

Top Bottom