• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wily Tower - Mega Man's Custom Moves

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Custom moves I want:

Neutral B's:
Metal Blade: Balanced blade.
Wheel Cutter: Faster, less powerful.
Rolling Cutter: Slower, more powerful, can't be grabbed.

Side B's
Crash Bomb: Balanced bomb.
Drill Bomb: Takes longer to explode, more power and knockback.
Dive Missile: Takes shorter time to explode, circles around oppenent rather than stick them, can't be reattached, less damage and knockback.

Up B's:
Rush Coil: Balanced Rush recovery.
Rush Jet: Lets you fly around with Rush temperarily, moves slower, can't be used as projectile.
Jet Megaman: Goes fast, flies high, takes a moment to charge, can't be used as projectile.

Down B's:
Leaf Shield: Balanced shield.
Plant Barrier: Moves faster, lasts longer, doesn't do much damage.
Jewel Satellite: Moves slower, lasts shorter, does more damage.
Yay, plant barrier came!

Looks like we finally got something official! Beat is most likely just a slower and easier to control variant of the Rush Coil. It won't be too different. Don't know much about the Plant Barrier though.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Looks like we finally got something official! Beat is most likely just a slower and easier to control variant of the Rush Coil. It won't be too different. Don't know much about the Plant Barrier though.
I dunno. Rush Coil seems a lot like Sonic's spring, whereas Beat looks to operate more like Snake's camera drone. The two were pretty different in terms of mechanics.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Hmm, I wonder what other robot master weapons will appear as custom special moves. Looking at the difference between Rush Coil and Beat as recovery weapons, there could be a small chance of weapons of different properties to the original special. Here's my ideas:

Neutral B:
  • Cut Man (Rolling Cutter): Thrown in a arc, similar to a boomerang, that stretches far before it returns to Mega Man.
  • Magnet Man (Magnet Missile): Shoots straight, but will immediately dart upwards/downwards towards an opponent as it passes them, similar to MM3.
Side B:
  • Hornet Man (Hornet Chaser): Shoots a robotic hornet, that moves slowly, moving towards a designated target that is closest to the hornet (excluding Mega Man, of course.)
  • Pharaoh Man (Pharaoh Wave): A chargeable special. When fully charged, Mega Man will fire a widely vertical shot that pushes its opponents away when in contact. The shots will move more slowly if not fully charged.
Up B:
  • Already confirmed Beat as one special.
  • Tengu Man (Tornado Hold): Places a powerful jet instantly under Mega Man's feet to propel him upwards. Can be used in the air as the jet will float in place. or...
  • Rush Jet: Mega Man can utilise an in-built jet pack based on Rush Jet in MM. Sacrifices less vertical recovery in favor of longer horizontal recovery, similar to DK's Up special.
Down B:
  • Flower shield already confirmed.
  • Jewel Man (Jewel Satellite) / Skull Man (Skull Barrier): Acts similar to the leaf shield, except the jewel's/skull's properties help deflect any projectiles that make contact. or...
  • Frost Man (Ice Wave): Sends out a small wave of permafrost, freezing over its path that causes icicles to rise from the ground. Only travels across ground, but can climb up walls as it continues to freeze, until it reaches the end of the platform or stage.
It's pretty fun imagining possibilities like this. :p

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
Some of my favorite ideas for Mega Man's custom moves...

Up B:

> Rush Coil (default)
> Beat Call (confirmed, probably acts like Snake's camera, similarly to how Beat saves Mega Man from falling into pits from many of the later games)
> Rush Jet/ Item 2: Sacrifices nearly all vertical recovery for excellent horizontal recovery
> Tornado Hold/ Tornado Blow: Summons a tornado to boost Mega Man upwards, alternately can be used prior to jumping to give his jumps a massive, float-y boost.

B:

> Metal Blade (default)
> Shadow Blade/ Rolling Cutter/ Quick Boomerang/ Ring Boomerang: Returns to Mega Man after traveling a short distance; it's stronger than a Metal Blade and is uncatchable, but its range is extremely short to compensate.
> Wheel Cutter/ Bubble Lead: Clings to platforms and walls a la Pikachu's thundershock, but faster and weaker. (Wheel Cutter only) Mega Man can hold it out indefinitely instead of immediately throwing it; when this is done next to a wall he is sent rocketing up it. Can be picked up by other players.
> Gyro Attack/ Magnet Missile: Mega Man shoots a projectile forward. After traveling a short distance, its direction changes to go either directly up or down; this is either controlled by Mega Man (Gyro Attack) or occurs upon the projectile lining up with nearest opposing character (Magnet Missile).
> Laser Trident: Shoots directly forward. Does not cause flinching and does only minimal damage, but it pierces all obstacles; imagine Fox's laser if, instead of stopping on hitting something, hit everything in a straight line ahead of it.

Side B:

> Crash Bomb (default)
> Drill Bomb: Explodes immediately on making contact with a solid object; can be exploded mid-flight by repeating the input.
> Napalm Bomb: Essentially a slower, stronger version of Mario's fireballs with less range; it bounces along the ground and explodes in a fiery explosion after either making contact with an opponent or bouncing a set number of times.
> Flash Grenade: Three words: Miniature Smart Bomb.
> Commando Bomb: Can be directed to a limited degree in mid-air, to the extent that you can do 2-3 right turns with it to aim it. Does relatively weak damage if the missile makes direct contact with an opponent, but releases a powerful shock wave if it hits a floor or wall.
> Danger Wrap: Sends a bomb encased in a bubble floating upwards. Can also be used to encase items to similar effect.

Down B:

> Leaf Shield (default)
> Plant Barrier (confirmed, probably acts as a stronger shield but can't be thrown)
> Jewel Satellite: Jewel Satellite acts as a standard reflector, but with a limited number of deflections and only when projectiles make contact with the jewels. Can be moved with and thrown.
> Mirror Buster: Mirror Buster can store projectiles to unleash stronger attacks like G&W's Oil Panic attack (except it can be used at any time after a projectile weapon makes contact with it). Mega Man cannot move while utilizing Mirror Buster.
> Junk Shield/ Water Shield: Acts similarly to Leaf Shield; however, when thrown the particles of the shield explode out in all directions instead of remaining together.

Wheeeee I have way too many move ideas for Mega Man.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I hope we will get a mega man 4 weapon. That's my favourite game. Skull Barrier maybe?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I hope we will get a mega man 4 weapon. That's my favourite game. Skull Barrier maybe?
Yeah that sounds about right. Though maybe he'll get another Megaman 4 weapon as a variant. I think Ring Man's could work.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Here's what I'd like to see. Now with Megaman's Custom moves, they're obviously going for a mixture between what they're doing with Palutena and the Miis, and what they're doing with the other characters in the sense that we'll get different specials but they're still in some ways similar to the original special, that said...

Neutral specials:

Shadowman's shuriken from Megaman 3. Just like in Megaman 3 the shuriken could only be shot in three directions instead of the Metal Blade's 8, the trade off is that the shuriken would move faster but deal less damage.

Elec Beam from Megaman 1. Elec Beam fires three shots at once, one above, below and in front of Megaman and that alone creates the trade off, it'll deal less damage than the metal blades but you're shooting in multiple directions at once so it balances things out.

Forward specials:

Search Snake from Megaman 3. Unlike the the Crash bomb, Search Snake will only go down along the ground and climb up any walls or cielings that happen to cross it's path. The trade offs would be that it'd be faster but deal less damage.

Hard Knuckle. Unlike the down air version, the Hard Knuckle would work like it did in MM3 where it was a slow projectile that you could slightly alter the altitude as it flies, but since it'd be slower it'd deal more damage and knock back so that would be the trade off.

That's honestly all I got for now cause I don't remember much of Megamans 4 through 9.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
If we're going by the 12 special move rule Sakurai stated some time ago, then these are my most wanted special weapons for Megaman:

Neutral B:
1. Shadow Blade(MM 3). It can be launched in all directions like the Metal Blade, but it returns after a short distance. Maybe it would pierce as well, giving a chance for a second hit on the return trip.
2. Ballade Cracker(MM 10). Like the Metal Blade, it can be launched in any direction. However, it moves slowly, and only one can be onscreen at a time. It explodes on contact.

Side B:
1. Flash Bomb(MM 8). It is an explosive like the Crash Bomber, but explodes on contact in a series of explosions, accompanied by a blinding flash.
2. Laser Trident(MM 9). It is a fast moving laser that can hit at long ranges. It also has the ability to pierce any known substance.

Up B: I'm caught between the Tornado Hold(MM 8) and the Tornado Blow(MM 9). I'm thinking the Tornado Blow would be more practical since it has a wider radius, and has more defensive properties.

Down B: Either Jewel Satellite(MM 9) or Water Shield(MM 10). I'm leaning more towards Jewel Satellite due to its reflective properties.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
I think I read in one of the custom move threads that Mega Man has an Ice move that resembles the Ice Climbers old special - not sure which game it would be from though.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think I read in one of the custom move threads that Mega Man has an Ice move that resembles the Ice Climbers old special - not sure which game it would be from though.
There was an Ice weapon in Mega Man 8 that slid across the ground. But it didn't look all that much like the Ice Climber's attacks.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ice Wave sounds correct, but I've heard elsewhere that it's the Ice Slasher (MM1).

Danger Wrap sounds all kinds of awesome. Plant a bomb on the stage like Snake or knock people off stage while they're trapped.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
I've unlocked all of the customs today and these are what they are.
B
Metal blade
Hyper bomb - 4 directions. Explosions of course. Very much just a bomb that is thrown in an arc.
Shadow blade - 4 directions for some reason. Weaker than metal blades but can combo with them

SideB
Crash bomb
Danger wrap- very small and travels vertical. Explodes on contact
Ice slasher - freezes opponent but its really ****ty and I can't find a use for it cause its slow and they break out right away

Upb
Rush coil
Beat -great recovery range and you can still act when its done
Tornado hold -very weak recovery but has interesting setups since you drop it down and it damages and carries opponents up. Also can act out of it.

Downb
Leaf shield
Skull shield- wind effect. Skulls don't have hotbox unless thrown
Plant barrier- not really sure. Slightly more percent on the rotation of leaves tho

Last edited:

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
B
Metal blade
Hyper bomb - 4 directions. Explosions of course. Very much just a bomb that is thrown in an arc. Can't be caught like metal blade.
Shadow blade - 4 directions for some reason. Weaker than metal blades but can combo with them and they can't be caught by opponents.

SideB
Crash bomb
Ice slasher - freezes opponent but its really ****ty and I can't find a use for it cause its slow and they break out right away

Upb
Rush coil
Tornado hold -very weak recovery but has interesting setups since you drop it down and it damages and carries opponents up. Also can act out of it.

Downb
Leaf shield
Plant barrier- not really sure. Slightly more percent on the rotation of leaves tho
Does Shadow Blade come back or does it just keep going forward?

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Can you test out the Mega Man Leaf Shield custom moves? I'm mostly curious about Plant Barrier where you can use normal attacks after putting it up.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
SideB
Crash bomb
I would try it out with the opponent at different percentages.

From what I can tell playing the demo, Crash Bomb does basically no knockback at low %, but it seems to scale up differently from other moves (you can KO someone in Sudden Death with it).

It might be that Ice Slasher freezes for a much longer time at high percentages, making it helpful for getting the KO.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
Sorry I made another mistake, shadow blade is 8 directional. I guess I wasnt pressing the circle pad correctly the first time I used it.

Im not around a human player atm to test anything specially with the barriers. they all seem kind of meh though. I just like the plant barrier the best because the shield sort of pulsates and expands the shield a little and it does some more damage then the others. the throw distance is the worst of the three but you dont really throw them most of the time anyway.

Also I just wanted to mention that danger wrap is a kill move. It does 13 percent or so over a few hits and has some really good knockback for something so small. Im starting to prefer it over crash bomb on my standard set of customs.

as for ice slasher, it doesnt even freeze them until they are above 30% or something. the higher the percent of the opponent, the higher they get sent up. they actually go pretty high at times, but they break out right away.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
@ juice.Zucco juice.Zucco Any chance you could upload a video with all his moves?

Or at least some pictures?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It may be a contest between the Metal/Shadow Blade if you can combo with the latter, pressure with the former.

Can you be knocked out of Beat like with Snake's U-Special?

Try testing to see if you can combo Air Shooter/Danger Wrap. Been having a hard time landing AS, so DW could be a godsend.

EDIT: Stickied this thread. Will update the OP later.

Last edited:

Kain6th

Smash Ace
B
Metal blade
Hyper bomb - 4 directions. Explosions of course. Very much just a bomb that is thrown in an arc.
Shadow blade - 4 directions for some reason. Weaker than metal blades but can combo with them

SideB
Crash bomb

Upb
Rush coil

Downb
Leaf shield

Damn i was really hoping for Jewel Satellite for one of his shields, oh well

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Sorry I made another mistake, shadow blade is 8 directional. I guess I wasnt pressing the circle pad correctly the first time I used it.

Im not around a human player atm to test anything specially with the barriers. they all seem kind of meh though. I just like the plant barrier the best because the shield sort of pulsates and expands the shield a little and it does some more damage then the others. the throw distance is the worst of the three but you dont really throw them most of the time anyway.

Also I just wanted to mention that danger wrap is a kill move. It does 13 percent or so over a few hits and has some really good knockback for something so small. Im starting to prefer it over crash bomb on my standard set of customs.

as for ice slasher, it doesnt even freeze them until they are above 30% or something. the higher the percent of the opponent, the higher they get sent up. they actually go pretty high at times, but they break out right away.
Do any of his down B shields let you use normal attacks with it up? I don't like the mechanic on the default down b leaf shield, and I've found it to be useless.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm liking the sound of the Dander Wrap. I wonder which shield would be good for me. Maybe the Plant Barrier. Do any of them have less start up than the Leaf Shield? I might try the Shadow Blade.

It's good to hear that most of Mega Man's attacks are fairly different. They seem to be taking advantage of his diverse powers.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
So the Skull Barrier can reflect projectiles? I don't remember it being able to do that in MM4. I think Jewel Satellite would've been the better choice, but I can work with this. Also, Danger Wrap is explosive? I thought it just encased enemies in a bubble.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
So what customs are you guys gonna use?

I'm most likely going to use the Plant Barrier over the Leaf Shield and the Danger Wrap over the Crash Bomber. However, I'm torn between the Metal Blade v Shadow Blade and Rush Coil v Beat. I guess I'll find out when the game comes out and we learn more, but I'd still like to hear your guys's ideas.

Sky Saber

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4983-5890-8462

I'm most likely going to use the Plant Barrier over the Leaf Shield and the Danger Wrap over the Crash Bomber. However, I'm torn between the Metal Blade v Shadow Blade and Rush Coil v Beat. I guess I'll find out when the game comes out and we learn more, but I'd still like to hear your guys's ideas.
Same as you with Danger Wrap over Crash Bomb. The rest are as follows. Shadow Blade, Tornado Hold, and Skull Barrier. SB and TH are some of my favorite weapons from the past MM games, plus they seem like they can be pretty useful (Shadow Blade for potential combos)

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

For Neutral B, I'm most likely going to use Shadow Blade. Does anyone know if it pierces like Metal Blade? For up B, I'm going with Tornado Hold, being one of my favorites from MM 8. As for Forward B, the Ice Slasher sounds like it might be good for follow up attacks. For Down B, Skull Barrier for reflective properties. I'll eventually try them all out to see what actually works, but those are the customs I'd like to try first.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
A couple of custom set ideas:
Campy Man
Metal Blade
Danger Wrap/Ice Shot
Rush Coil
Skull Barrier
This is a highly defensive build that abuses Mega Man's ability to pressure characters from diagonal angles. Metal Blade goes farther than Shadow Blade and can be picked up and opens up the door for a number of techs. Danger Wrap seems to be the better option defensively as it covers the space above and in front of Mega Man in between Metal Blade angles, but Ice Shot can also work as a disruptive horizontal projectile that travels across the stage and can be sent out while MB is still out. Rush Coil is key to this set as it quickly launches Mega Man high into the air where he can attack diagonally with MB while his opponents usually can't exert similar projectile pressure against him, and Rush Cancelling can also be abused to get him out of tight spots. As this set is primarily designed to beat other campy characters, Skull Barrier is chosen for its reflective capabilities. I believe there's a video in the video thread of iGGY playing against a DHD that seems to serve as a proof-of-concept in terms of Mega Man's potential to disrupt strong camping games.

Aggro Man
Shadow Blade
Ice Shot
Tornado Hold/Beat
Plant Barrier
Instead of trying to simply out-camp his opponents, this lets Mega Man be more direct in taking on his opponents. Shadow Blade looks like an effective midrange pressure tool with combo potential, and helps to enhance Mega Man's already formidable midrange game. Ice Shot's freeze effect's usefulness appears questionable right now, but at least it knocks the opponent up in the air and opens up the door for followups. Tornado Hold is the only Up-B Mega Man has that does damage, and doesn't make him helpless. It's not entirely clear what offensive potential this move has, but if it is useful as more than a recovery it gets the nod, otherwise Beat is chosen because he provides more height than the other options. None of Mega Man's Down-B options are really good, but Plant Barrier seems a bit better than the other choices offensively.

Keep in mind that this is purely theoretical for me right now, as I don't yet have the full game to try out things for myself, but it looks like Mega Man has a number of potentially effective custom builds to play around with. He's a really unusual character, and his customs seem to allow for a good deal of playstyle diversity, so we need to really test what you can do with these tools to see what Mega Man can really do.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think I might go for a more offensive Mega Man.

Not too sure which Neutral I'll use. Maybe switch between the Hyper Bomb and Metal Blades. Both of those seem useful. Shadow Blades are good too, but they don't go far enough for my liking right now.

My Side-B is probably going to be Ice Slasher, just so I can have something to cancel most other opposing projectiles. Since the Hyper Bombs go in an arch. Freezing could be ok too. But freezing never did much in Smash. Danger Wrap seems really strong, but I've got no idea how well I could set it up.

Tornado Hold seems cool, one could land an air attack or two after using it. And it deals damage, seem to still travel high too. Beat doesn't seem as useful as Rush, so I might as well go for the damaging variant.

Not sure if I'll use the Skull Barrier, it does have it's uses, but it's more situational. Guys like Donkey Kong and Little Mac don't have projectiles to reflect. Plant Barrier on the other hand seems way better. It might not last as long, but not breaking up is good. And can basically do an offensive roll/block with the move too.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I've finally gotten around to unlocking all of Mega Man's customs and experimenting with them myself. I'm really blown away by how useful basically all of his customs are(except for his Down-Bs). Mega Man has so many viable options and builds that you can pick almost anything you want and make it work if you use it intelligently. Here's what I've been playing around with, along with my thoughts.

Shadow Blade Set
Shadow Blade
Danger Wrap
Beat
Plant Barrier

This set is probably the easiest to use overall. Mega Man in general has a steep learning curve and a fairly straightforward set such as this one is a good option to make him easier to use, though this doesn't mean it's underpowered by any means. Shadow Blade is good at controlling space, especially in front of Mega Man, and can lead into a grab or D-Tilt if it hits on the way back. Note that you can't move until the blade starts to come back, so space it properly. Danger Wrap moves slowly, making it a good defensive anti-aerial. You can also combo with it by hitting your opponent into it. I've been able to string sourspotted Utilt into it. It does have kill potential (don't have exact numbers, but I was killing around 140% with it) and also has uses against characters trying to recover high. The combination of these two moves is pretty effective at zoning your opponent out, with Shadow Blade stopping a lot of ground approaches, and Danger Wrap disrupting aerials. Beat gives you much better distance than the other recovery options, especially horizontally, though it isn't really necessary for this set. I haven't really found much use for Plant Barrier, though it's still probably best for the grab combo.

Hyper Bomb Set
Hyper Bomb
Ice Slasher
Tornado Hold
Skull Barrier

This set is tricky to use, but it's the best edgeguarding set I've seen for Mega Man. Hyper Bomb is a really weird move and it takes a bit of practice to master all the different angles it can cover, but it's an excellent edgeguarding tool and has plenty of other uses as well. Ice Slasher puts the opponent in the air and can set up Bomb juggles. It also helps to cover space horizontally, which Hyper Bomb doesn't do as reliably. Tornado Hold can lead into another aerial, and is useful against opponents trying to recover high and avoid your Bomb shenanigans. It's also his weakest recovery option, and has almost no horizontal mobility, so be aware of that. Skull Barrier is a very niche move that kind of helps against some characters like DHD, but is worthless against much of the cast.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ice Slasher seems not very good in 1v1, it's hard to follow it up, except maybe with a diagonal Metal Blade or a Hyper Bomb. It can KO in Sudden Death though.

But it can hit multiple opponents so it might be useful at getting people off you. In teams or FFA it might be worth trying out, but I haven't even had a custom match against humans yet so I dunno.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm really liking the Danger Wrap. Pretty good to use on recovering opponents. It's not Mega Man's most effective move. But it's faster than throwing out a Smash attack. I want to see more experienced players take advantage of it. Should be fun.

Last edited:

EvergreenChameleon

Smash Rookie
My experience so far is that MM's default moves actually tend to be his most useful. The only move I'd really consider replacing is LS for Skull Barrier, and even that is something of a toss up because against a large chunk of opponents, SB has no utility whatsoever. Similarly, Tornado Hold is an awesome combo tool, but Rush Coil has too much utility as a combo breaker and a tool in his gimping arsenal to pass up. MB is far too useful to pass up, and MM's other B options blow anyhow. Danger Wrap over Crash Bomb -is- tempting, but even despite its power, it is somewhat redundant, and can't give MM the versatility that rash Bomb does.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Nah Gotta disagree with ya. SB and HB have utility and purpose that would potentially find themselves more useful than MB. Not always though.

Same thing with TB and Beat.

Top Bottom