• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wily Tower - Mega Man's Custom Moves

Untitled2.png

Hello, Smashboards! This is my first thread here, so I hope we have a good discussion!

So, from what we've seen so far, Mega Man has a huge variety of moves. With custom move sets added to the game, to what extent will we be able to customize Mega Man?

With so many different weapons in the Mega Man games, how many of them will we be able to use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nippo

Smash Cadet
There's two approaches they could take with allowing players to customize Mega Man (or any other character really.)

They could take the lazy route and just let you alter things like the strength, speed, trajectory, recharge and startup time of his standard specials.

Or they could allow you to switch out his specials entirely for a varied selection of other Robot Master weapons drawn from his games.

I'd like to see Quick Boomerang, Commando Bomb, and Knight Crush in the context of a Smash game.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Sadly, the system isn't that cool. It allows you to edit the properties of his moves (seems to be just B moves, so Metal Blade, Rush Coil, Leaf Shield and Crash Bomber). Still, I imagine there's some cool things that you could do. Some ideas

Metal Blade
-One that acts like the Shadow Blade
-One that acts like Screw Crusher
-One that acts like Wheel Cutter

Crash Bomb
-Flash Grenade like
-Ballade Crusher
-Explodes Instantly

Leaf Shield
-Diamond Shield like
-Larger Size
-Can't fire but shield lasts much longer

Rush Coil
-Rush Coil from 5
-Rush Jet

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I'd be cool to see the leaf shield launch one by one after making a complete loop.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Bubble shield from mm10 inspired leaf shield would rock. Instead of throwing it forward, the leaves would disperse around him in a spiral pattern.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Some of my suggestions.

Neutral Combo:

Quick Boomerang

Neutral Special:

Rolling Cutter

Down Special:
Junk Shield
Jewel Satellite
Plant Barrier

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
B: Shadow Blade- faster but can't be picked up
Wheel Cutter: more powerful but can only go four directions

Side B:This is tricky, I'll get back to you

Up B: Rush Jet
Rush cool from mm 5

Down B: JewelSatellite
Bubble Shield

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
To have Megaman in the first Smash game that allows custom moves, and to not allow him access to other Robot Master weaponry for those moves seems criminal. I think that is going to be what happens though, as it looks like only Rosalina and Mii will get different moves.

I would personally be okay with the same animations but different weapons and effects. No reason Leaf Shield can't be replaced with any of the other shield type weapons. Replacing Metal Blade with Shadow Blade, which works the same mechanically but is faster and returns to you (and does less damage to compensate) makes tons of sense. Still don't think something like this will happen, though.

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
What I think they should/will be

Neutral Special:
Shadow Blade (Doesn't go as far and can't be picked up but it does come back)
Wheel Cutter (Can't be aimed but if it hits a platform it will attach and crawl similar to the "Mr. Hothead" item0

Side Special:
Commando Bomb (Can be moved in the air similar to Pits arrows but explodes on contact)
Drill Bomb (It doesn't stick but it pushes opponents back before exploding)

Down Special:
Water Shield (Instead of shooting forwards when MM presses the button again it disperses out similar to MM10)
Plant Barrier (Each time MM gets a move thrown at a hima single leaf out of 6 disappears MM can still attack with it active)

Up Special:
Rush Jet/Jet Adapter (Rush Appears underneath/fuses with MM and boosts him up around the same height as Pit's gift of flight)
Beat Lift (Beat appears and operates similar to Snakes Up-Special carrying MM up for about 3 seconds)

And for fun,

Final Smash
Rush Super Adapter: Mega Man fuses with Rush making Super Mega Man. For the duration of the final Smash Mega Man's jump is a super rocket belt and he fires horizontal Hard Knuckles.

So yeah, what I think the custom moves might be and how they could work.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Well, MM has been treated better than most Nintendo Characters so far, Gimmick Wise, so it wouldn't surprise me if we got other (yet similar) weapons for his B Moves.

Side B
Magnet Man's Magnet Missile: A lot weaker, but can take 90' turns once, homing in on ppl. Gimptastic.
Drill Man's Drill Bomb: A bit weaker, but effective on shield and good stun.
Splash Woman's Trident: Decent power overall, but with better initial knockback than the average.
Rainbow Man's Rainbow Beam: Very weak, but good for disrupting ppl.
(Not classic)

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
You know what's disappointing?
How Mega Man isn't one of the "Very-Customizable" Characters.

Miis are "Very-Customizable" because they are the walking definition of customization, and Palutena is because there is a large array of weapons from Uprising.

You know who else has a large array of weapons in there game?
MEGA MAN!!!
Even more than Palutena.

I don't know why, it just really bugs me.
There are so many possibilities they could have used for completely unique moves.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Looks like this thread has more discussion going on here.

Standard Special(Default) Metal Blade:

Wheel Cutter(MM10): Rolls along the ground and walls.

Triple Blade(MM10): Shoots in 3 directions. Deals less damage from a distance, but deals a lot more damage up close.

Rolling Cutter(MM1): Has less distance than the Metal Blade. But it has a boomerang effect.

Down Special(Default) Leaf Shield:

Jewel Satellite(MM9): Has more defensive properties.

Scorch Wheel: Deals more damage. But it doesn't protect as much.

Junk Shield: Shoots in multiple directions when fired.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Mega Man custom moves.png

Here are some of my ideas for the Blue Bombers custom moves~
NEUTRAL B:
Wheel Cutter (MM 10)

+Travels along ground and walls
-Can't throw in 8 directions
Rolling Cutter (MM 1)
+Comes back to you like a boomerang
+Faster
-Smaller Range
-Can't be thrown in 8 directions
SIDE B:
Commando Bomb (MM 10)

+Can change direction twice
+Creates small explosion along ground/wall when hitting ground/wall
-Doesn't stick to enemies
-Slower
Magnet Missile (MM 3)
+Homes in on enemies by itself
+Slightly attracts near by enemies towards it
-Weaker
UP B:
Rush Jet (MM 3 and onward)

(Hover recovery, like ROB)
+More horizontal recovery
-Less vertical recovery
Beat (MM 5 and onward)
(Works like Rush, with a spring coming out of Beats head)
+After jump, Beat falls down fast as an explosive projectile
-Less vertical recovery
DOWN B:
Skull Barrier (MM 4)

+Can walk around with it
-Can't throw it
Fire Storm (MM 1)
+Fires a medium range projectile
+Stronger shield damage and knockback
-Lasts very short
-Longer cooldown time between uses

I think most of these are pretty possible, with the exception of maybe Rush Jet. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
View attachment 17072

Here are some of my ideas for the Blue Bombers custom moves~
NEUTRAL B:
Wheel Cutter (MM 10)

+Travels along ground and walls
-Can't throw in 8 directions
Rolling Cutter (MM 1)
+Comes back to you like a boomerang
+Faster
-Smaller Range
-Can't be thrown in 8 directions
SIDE B:
Commando Bomb (MM 10)

+Can change direction twice
+Creates small explosion along ground/wall when hitting ground/wall
-Slower
Magnet Missile (MM 3)
+Homes in on enemies by itself
+Slightly attracts near by enemies towards it
-Weaker
UP B:
Rush Jet (MM 3 and onward)

(Hover recovery, like ROB)
+More horizontal recovery
-Less vertical recovery
Beat (MM 5 and onward)
(Works like Rush, with a spring coming out of Beats head)
+After jump, Beat falls down fast as an explosive projectile
-Less vertical recovery
DOWN B:
Skull Barrier (MM 4)

+Can walk around with it
-Can't throw it
Fire Storm (MM 1)
+Fires a medium range projectile
+Stronger shield damage and knockback
-Lasts very short
-Longer cooldown time between uses

I think most of these are pretty possible, with the exception of maybe Rush Jet. Thoughts?
Those are pretty good ideas. Though the Skull Barrier seems like a huge nerf compared to the other two. I think the Leaf Shield already let's you walk with it in this game. It should have some kind of advantage or niche the others can't accomplish. Maybe give it a huge defense boost, so that it's harder to destroy. I would have used the Junk Shield, since it fires off in more than one direction.

I really like your replacements for the Crash Bomb. The Magnet Missile would be fun to use and chase around with. Same with Beat as a recovery move, though I don't know how likely that is.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I really hope that Mega Man gets different robot masters' powers for each custom move, instead of just changing effects on the current special moves. It seems like having completely different special moves would be more Mega Man's thing than Palutena anyway.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While I do not think Mega Man will get entire new special moves for his custom sets but, rather, variations....I love the idea of him having attacks based off other Robot Masters. Here are my ideas:

Custom Set 1
Neutral B: Ring Boomerang (Fires a single rang that travels along a set trajectory but will curve back to return to Mega Man.)
Side B: Dive Missile (Fires a single homing missile that resembles Samus' side B but a bit faster)
Up B: Wild Coil (Mega Man places a Wild Coil on the ground and springs upwards.)
Down B: Skull Barrier (Mega Man forms several skulls and uses it like a barrier. He is unable to fire it like the Leaf Shield.)

Custom Set 2
Neutral B: Shadow Blade (fires a deadly metal shuriken that can be fired in many directions by hitting B and then the directional stick.)
Side B: Scorch Wheel (summons three fires balls and fires it forward.)
Up B: Air Shooter (Fires a small tornado under him which causes Mega Man to be thrown upwards.)
Down B: Star Crash (summons 3 fast whirling star that surrounds him. Pressing Down B fires one at a time.)

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
So....I'm not the only person was is annoyed that Mega Man does not have multiple custom specials?
I can tolerate Miis having them, but Palutena of all people? Unlike Megaman or even Ray MK, she's not really known for having an aresenal of weapons. Hell, even KIRBY would make more sense, multiple weapons is literally his claim to fame, but Sakurai gives this "honor" to a character from a game he worked on? Hmmm...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So....I'm not the only person was is annoyed that Mega Man does not have multiple custom specials?
I can tolerate Miis having them, but Palutena of all people? Unlike Megaman or even Ray MK, she's not really known for having an aresenal of weapons. Hell, even KIRBY would make more sense, multiple weapons is literally his claim to fame, but Sakurai gives this "honor" to a character from a game he worked on? Hmmm...
To be fair, we don't really know what exactly Megaman himself has as far as custom moves go. So whatever moves he does have could actually end up being very unique.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Custom moves I want:

Neutral B's:
Metal Blade: Balanced blade.
Wheel Cutter: Faster, less powerful.
Rolling Cutter: Slower, more powerful, can't be grabbed.

Side B's
Crash Bomb: Balanced bomb.
Drill Bomb: Takes longer to explode, more power and knockback.
Dive Missile: Takes shorter time to explode, circles around oppenent rather than stick them, can't be reattached, less damage and knockback.

Up B's:
Rush Coil: Balanced Rush recovery.
Rush Jet: Lets you fly around with Rush temperarily, moves slower, can't be used as projectile.
Jet Megaman: Goes fast, flies high, takes a moment to charge, can't be used as projectile.

Down B's:
Leaf Shield: Balanced shield.
Plant Barrier: Moves faster, lasts longer, doesn't do much damage.
Jewel Satellite: Moves slower, lasts shorter, does more damage.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would like more Mega Man 6, 7 and 9 representation in his custom moves. My favorite games in the series.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Spruced up the OP/Title of the thread a little bit. Since this seems it'll be a bigger discussion in the future. ;)

Anyway just to give some thoughts:

Neutral Special - Metal Blade (MM2)
  • Shadow Blade (MM3)
  • Pharaoh Shot (MM4)
  • Freeze Cracker (MM7)
  • Rebound Striker (MM10)
  • Ballade Cracker (MMIV)
Up Special - Rush Coil (MM3)
  • Item 2 (MM2)
  • Rush Jet (MM3)
  • Beat Call (MM7)
  • Tornado Hold (MM8)
Side Special -- Crash Bomber (MM2)
  • Drill Bomb (MM4)
  • Flash Bomb (MM8)
  • Remote Mine (MM&B)
  • Commando Bomb (MM10)
  • Photon Missile (MMV)
Down Special - Leaf Shield (MM2)
  • Fire Storm (MM1)
  • Power Stone (MM5)
  • Junk Shield (MM7)
  • Water Shield (MM10)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sorry for leaving this in text only, but these would be my choices. (For an easier time rembering the move, I'll add the Robot Master's name istead of the atack).

B: Metal Blade (MM2)
Ba: Splash Woman (MM9) The laser trident will pierce through opponents.
Bb: Cut Man (MM) Same boomerang like fashion.

Tilt+B: Crash Bomber (MM2)
TBa: Ground Man (MM&B) Splits into tinier drills.
TBb: Napalm Man (MM5) Travel across the ground for a bit.

Down+B: Leaf Shield (MM2)
DBa: Skull Man (MM4)
DBb: Pump Man (MM 10) More protection, but bubbles burst when hit. Also deal more racking damage, and they disperse when thrown.

Up+B: Rush Coil (MM3)
UBa: Rush Jet (MM4) covers mostly horizontal distance.
UBb: Rush Jet Adaptor (MM6) covers almost as much horizonal as vertical distance. Works kinda like ROB's UP+B, but for 1/2 the total air time.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I'm super annoyed that Megaman doesn't have custom specials. Palutena having them makes 0 since.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Nah, I think it makes sense. But it's still annoying.

Sakurai just wants to show off a lot of the abilities in KI:U that Pit can't show by himself. Unless these attacks had absolutely no relevance to said game.

Still, if anyone deserves the custom abilities, it's Megaman.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I like Beat, but I find Plant Barrier distinctly underwhelming.

Did anyone ever use that ability? I know Plantman himself was pathetic, but I don't remember enough to recall how the ability differed, or if it had any use.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Did anyone ever use that ability? I know Plantman himself was pathetic, but I don't remember enough to recall how the ability differed, or if it had any use.
It blocked any projectile if I recall correctly.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Plant Man was awesome. I loved his design and music theme. I am so happy to see more Mega Man 6 representation!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

It was basically the same as Leaf Shield, except you could walk around with it at the cost of not being able to use it as a projectile. If I remember correctly (seriously except for Crystal Man's stage, did anyone use these beyond weaknesses?), it's basically a copy/paste of Skull Barrier/Star Crash and later Jewel Satellite (though this was an actually good weapon).

Given you can already walk around with the Leaf Shield, let it block 4 hits, and use it as a projectile, I'd guess that this either takes stronger hits or has less start up/end lag at the cost of it being a projectile.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
It's the only Megaman barrier weapon that goes through shields.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It the only Megaman barrier weapon that goes through shields.
Had to look this up, says it's strictly enemy based, but that'd be an interesting concept.

I doubt that will happen, beating shields would be pretty strong for a projectile/be useless if it wasn't, and Leaf Shield is reportedly an already laggy attack so I have no idea how they'd counteract such a strong effect.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Had to look this up, says it's strictly enemy based, but that'd be an interesting concept.

I doubt that will happen, beating shields would be pretty strong for a projectile/be useless if it wasn't, and Leaf Shield is reportedly an already laggy attack so I have no idea how they'd counteract such a strong effect.
It could easily have increased shield damage though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It could easily have increased shield damage though.
That's what I said. My point is that they'd have to do something to nerf the effect as well, which doesn't seem to be any more possible given how laggy Leaf Shield already is.

Though after some more thought, they could make it only absorb one hit vs. Leaf Shield's four. :ohwell:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That's what I said. My point is that they'd have to do something to nerf the effect as well, which doesn't seem to be any more possible given how laggy Leaf Shield already is.

Though after some more thought, they could make it only absorb one hit vs. Leaf Shield's four. :ohwell:
Nah. If it does more shield damage, but can't be used as a projectile, I think that evens it out.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Ya, given Plant Barrier is likely a custom special that focuses on defense, a shield that focuses on offense makes the most sense. Agree with Junk Shield

Also, I imagine Neutral B will see either Rolling Cutter/Shadow Blade for something that goes shorter but can hit on the way back (likely Shadow Blade) and the other I'd guess would be Laser Trident, a powerful attack that can't be grabbed, but it can only be fired in one direction.

No idea what the last Up B would be (Maybe Rush Jet that focuses on Horizontal rather than vertical? I realize it'd change Mega Man's animation, but they could just have him stand in his idle stance while on Rush Jet)

Flash Bomb for an explosive that triggers instantly....again, not to sure what his other explosive based weapon would be

Top Bottom