• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will people finally give current smash competitive attention?

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is what divided us, we lost many friends, players and brave warriors. But some of them are coming back! I've even heard rumors of Captain Jack coming back for Smash 4. There is potential in this iteration, that we didn't see in brawl.

Hopefully as the metagame continues, we'll learn more offensive tools. Once that happens, we can crush all brawl players who are trying to bring brawl playstyle into the new game

\o/

PCHU

Smash Lord
Brawl is what divided us, we lost many friends, players and brave warriors. But some of them are coming back! I've even heard rumors of Captain Jack coming back for Smash 4. There is potential in this iteration, that we didn't see in brawl.

Hopefully as the metagame continues, we'll learn more offensive tools. Once that happens, we can crush all brawl players who are trying to bring brawl playstyle into the new game

\o/
It's actually kind of funny; people with a background in Brawl are actually doing better in Smash 4.

That being said, not everything's that bad about a Brawl-esque style; I'd say that Brawl introduced quite a bit to the table in regards to general methods of approach and importance of having a really good read on your opponent with the heightened camping options and infinite airdodge, not to mention aerial play in general being a lot more important.
The most fun thing in Brawl for me was playing as Wario, and really, it's both a contrast and a similarity to my Melee main, Falco -- as both, I play on the offensive and my game is heavily SH dair and grab-based, but Wario is played more like a Jigglypuff with an air grab and Falco is heavy on rushdown.

Smash 4 is where Melee and Brawl styles are going to be combined into something special since Brawl options and Melee options are nearly equally viable now (at least, at this point in the metagame).
It's a rather different beast, and I think it most likely will be approached as such; the roster has a bunch of potential and locking oneself into "one style or the other" is only going to hold people back, and I definitely don't see that happening.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I don't see a lot of Melee loyalist moving on. And honestly, that's cool, they've got their game and they enjoy it,

I feel like Sm4sh's tourney scene will be made up of a lot of newcomers, and some older players who want to give it a chance. The game itself is competitive, regardless of what some people may say (most arguments I've seen against it don't take into account how Vectoring works in low % situations), and it'll have a following. But one of the biggest factors is that Nintendo will want to push Smash 4 as the dominate game in the tourney scene. Honestly, I'm hoping that Melee doesn't completely fade, it's a very important part of Smash as a whole, and I'd love to continue to see it flourish.

But I'd also like to see Smash 4 get its time to shine without having Melee players crap all over it. Without having some of the mechanical exploits that Melee does (L canceling and such), Smash 4's learning curve is easier, and it'll draw in a new tourney scene, and I myself am looking forward to seeing it.

Brian J. Stieve

Smash Rookie
a big problem i think is the amount of wii u's around - they would have to increase and there would need enough competetive players

Sandfox

Smash Rookie
a big problem i think is the amount of wii u's around - they would have to increase and there would need enough competetive players
The GameCube didn't exactly fly off shelves and the people playing in tournaments will be the made up of the more core players.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
This is why, imo, that Sm4sh will be competitive.... between the Wii U players and the 3DS players, the new scene will be strong and will last.... Its a series we all love, hardcore fans of the various series installments will always disagree on countless issues. we should all just be thankful we have a new game for Wii U and the 3DS.....imagine the different competition and game experience possibilities from now having a mobile quality Smash game on a platform that has sold millions of units

All the different smash clicks need to squash their beef and "settle this with some smash" on the new game .... you know >_> like the commercial. No reason you cannot play the new one and your old favorite(s)

Last edited:

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
I think that if it's fun to watch other people to play the game, then yes. I've watched some matches, and I've noticed that the fights can be quite boring depending on which character are being used, or which people are playing. There was one fight between M2K (DHD) and some youtuber (Sonic) that was kind of neat to watch. But I suspect that things will begin to lean towards the defensive side as the meta develops.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I think that if it's fun to watch other people to play the game, then yes. I've watched some matches, and I've noticed that the fights can be quite boring depending on which character are being used, or which people are playing. There was one fight between M2K (DHD) and some youtuber (Sonic) that was kind of neat to watch. But I suspect that things will begin to lean towards the defensive side as the meta develops.
there are boring match ups on all the games though its not just this one, i usually go do something else during y. link match ups in melee

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I wouldn't say PM is more balanced, more like everybody has OP things which isn't exactly "more balanced". Everybody having broken stuff in a PVP game never works out as well as it does in a PVE game. Mewtwo and Pit for example in PM are stupidly strong, more than any character should ever be. Recoveries are fairly strong which is a good criticism of the game, granted they aren't as crazy as Smash 4 recoveries lol.
PM recoveries are way way way way way worse in terms of being overpowered.

Pit's recovery in Smash 4 doesn't come close to how stupid his is in PM. Same for most of the cast in PM.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
PM recoveries are way way way way way worse in terms of being overpowered.

Pit's recovery in Smash 4 doesn't come close to how stupid his is in PM. Same for most of the cast in PM.
Fair enough, if you consider the distance of the glide or up b more problematic. It may be just an opinion of mine since if you can reach the ledge in smash 4 you will recover. It is highly unlikely to be kicked off since if you mash L you roll onto the stage and edge trumping doesnt work.

Balloonicorn

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, the relationship between Smash 4 and Melee would be healthy if it mirrored that of the Street Fighter series. What I mean by that is, Melee would be like SF2 and Smash 4 to be like SF4. SF2 is still extremely famous and has a very dedicated following and prominent spot at tournaments despite being a very old and archaic game. This is already sort of a parallel with SSBM. On the other hand, the newest street fighter iteration, in this case USF4 takes a spot as a "main event" in mainstream fighting game tournaments. Having Smash 4 as a big "main event" would attract a lot of attention to the scene and would likely have the added benefit of improving the competitive Smash community's relationship with both the FGC and even Nintendo.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
The answer to this question is yes.

Brawl had a healthy scene for years, and is still somewhat played even after 6 years.

Smash 4 is generally considered by the competitive scene to be better than Brawl.

Therefore, Smash 4 will almost certainly have a competitive scene equal to or greater than Brawl, and as a result, last as long, if not more.

Yes folks, it literally is THAT simple.

/thread

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Fair enough, if you consider the distance of the glide or up b more problematic. It may be just an opinion of mine since if you can reach the ledge in smash 4 you will recover. It is highly unlikely to be kicked off since if you mash L you roll onto the stage and edge trumping doesnt work.
Edgeguard ing and early gimping is still possible and will get better as people learn the game more.

It's literally impossible to edgeguard a good chunk of the recoveries in PM.

This might be, being fixed, which is a good thing. But right now they are by far more broken than anything Smash 4 has. Even with the edge mechanic changes PM still has it very much beat.

Last edited:

Arcanineblitz

Smash Rookie
Why does one scene have to die out in order for one to thrive? I dont get all the hate between the brawl/melee/sm4sh communities i think that they can co exist but its up to us to make it happen its counterproductive to try and tear down a sub sector of the smash community its like we're tearing the thing we love apart from the inside. All games are different so they arebt really competing with each other. I also see a lot of bashing and its really disheartening all bashing does is make people wary of joining the community.

Senario

Smash Ace
Edgeguard ing and early gimping is still possible and will get better as people learn the game more.

It's literally impossible to edgeguard a good chunk of the recoveries in PM.

This might be, being fixed, which is a good thing. But right now they are by far more broken than anything Smash 4 has. Even with the edge mechanic changes PM still has it very much beat.
That is what I'm hoping for, Honestly the PM people have shown they are willing to make drastic changes to characters so I'm interested in what 3.5 will have to offer. Ideally some recoveries need nerfing.

That said, I hope it is ok that I hold onto the opinion that I think the ledge is just super free in smash 4. It is so easy to get back onto the stage with that ledge. Even Gimps are only as effective as how far people's up B is. Gimps worked so well in previous games because in part they knocked people far enough so they couldn't hit the edge, and in part because you could edgehog (as much as I dislike the term since it shouldn't have a negative connotation).

PCHU

Smash Lord
That is what I'm hoping for, Honestly the PM people have shown they are willing to make drastic changes to characters so I'm interested in what 3.5 will have to offer. Ideally some recoveries need nerfing.

That said, I hope it is ok that I hold onto the opinion that I think the ledge is just super free in smash 4. It is so easy to get back onto the stage with that ledge. Even Gimps are only as effective as how far people's up B is. Gimps worked so well in previous games because in part they knocked people far enough so they couldn't hit the edge, and in part because you could edgehog (as much as I dislike the term since it shouldn't have a negative connotation).
Not to mention the "magnetic" ledges; I was a bit surprised and disappointed to see those return.
I love Brawl, don't get me wrong, but it always seemed insane to me the kind of recoveries some characters got due to that mechanic.

Stackofbeef

Smash Rookie
We, melee loyalist, we moved on with bawl: Project melee. The only reason we are gonna move on to play Smash U is the day we will have our own project melee for the U version.

Top Bottom