• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will people finally give current smash competitive attention?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
That kind of talk makes me not care about smash 4 because of its community.
Is any minority in any community worth using as representation of it as a whole, though? No matter how like, vocal it is. I've seen arrogance from both sides(not going to name anyone) and it's really disheartening. Us educated people being disregarded in favor of....bizarre and inconsequential argumentativeness, putting it the best way I can.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Is any minority in any community worth using as representation of it as a whole, though? No matter how like, vocal it is.
Yes because the vocal ones are the ones you will meet in tournament lol. Melees scene has largely cooled off since last time from what i have observed. We are all older and slightly more mature than we were so now we kinda are just enjoying our game. But say anything about smash 4 and boom people want to decapitate you while simultaneously hating on melee.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I suppose you're going to have to let the Smash 4 scene do the same thing then, lol. A lot of THEM are pretty young too, and new to this whole thing. If it took Melee a bit, I feel like the only appropriate thing to do is to understand that Smash 4 will take a bit, too.

Not that it SHOULD, but it's just my rule of thumb. Young communities and all that. I hope to god it's not as bad as it was with Brawl though. If there's gonna be trivial fighting at least let it stick to these forums and not interfere with actual events please...

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
ive been playing smash 4 since jp release. i think you guys are in for a surprise once you get your hands on it. i like it and all, just like i liked brawl and every smash game, but man, project m really has spoiled me

-the balance is not what you would think it would be after all this time and namco helping
-the ledge is completely noobified and i hate it
-there still isnt as much hitstun as you guys all think. i know some of you are linking videos of some dude chaining tilts on a computer at 0% but it doesnt work like that with humans. combos are more towards the brawl side than anything else. relying on hard reads, certain characters never having a follow up past 30%, etc
-im still bitter about the roster

im sure it will feel better playing on the wii with a GC controller but yea. its a shame. smash 4 just doesnt feel that great after almost 7 years of waiting. it feels like it couldve came out in late 2010. the time spent on the 3ds version, which i imagine 90% of the people on this website will barely touch after the wii one comes out, clearly damaged this game

that being said, again, i like it. but if you hated brawl and loved melee or PM. youre going to like smash 4 more than brawl. but youre still going to continue to appreciate melee and PM more

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Yes because the vocal ones are the ones you will meet in tournament lol. Melees scene has largely cooled off since last time from what i have observed. We are all older and slightly more mature than we were so now we kinda are just enjoying our game. But say anything about smash 4 and boom people want to decapitate you while simultaneously hating on melee.
I feel the reason that people get angry about Sm4sh bashing is because the game literally isn't out in america yet. It's being judged against a game that's had over a decade to have its meta evolve, which can lead some people to being angry.

I for one feel like it's being written off too soon for not being 'new melee' which is a huge mistake. I mean I love SF 2, SF Alpha, and to a lesser extent, SF 3. But I still checked out SF 4 and liked it, while I know a lot of people are SF 2 purist. I just feel like the community's not giving a chance to a game that's not even released, which feels short sighted to me.

There's a lot of depth and such to be found in the new mechanics (Vectoring and Rage), and I for one look forward to being a part of the player base that really opens up Sm4sh and finding out whats really under the hood, gameplay wise. It may be worse than Melee, but like any Smash game, I feel it should be given a fair chance.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people bash melee over generalizations. Fox vs Fox, shine spikes only, 0 to death combos only, etc. I don't think those guys see the depth of melee It's kind of like going on a street fighter forum and say all matches are fireball spamming. No one's looking at the bigger picture. It's very saddening.

But then again I think most melee players have left these forums if not only seclude themselves into the melee forum only.

Senario

Smash Ace
A lot of people bash melee over generalizations. Fox vs Fox, shine spikes only, 0 to death combos only, etc. I don't think those guys see the depth of melee It's kind of like going on a street fighter forum and say all matches are fireball spamming. No one's looking at the bigger picture. It's very saddening.

But then again I think most melee players have left these forums if not only seclude themselves into the melee forum only.
Most melee players hang around in the melee subform, facebook, and reddit. But it looks like reddit isnt the place to be anymore since it has gotten progressively worse in terms of actual discussion of the game and more about some character or fan art or something that really barely matters.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
My major problem is that this game is being written off for being itself. It changed things(whether people liked it or not), it tried to do something fairly different, and it's getting this kind of reception. I'm all for a series being identical from entry to entry but a more diverse pool of games should NEVER be a bad thing.

Like, wow. A lot of people are writing this game off for simply being.....this game. As weird as it is to say that, it's what I'm seeing.

It's barely been explored by a large amount of people, but it's being treated(by some individuals) as if the game has been out for a year or two. It's relatively disheartening. Never have I seen a game written off so early(and I've been a part of the SF4 community since Vanilla back when the game was, really REALLY lackluster). Ultra Street Fighter 4 had plenty of weird additions that were "predicted" to make the game slower(not that they did), but people waited patiently for it to come out before reserving judgment.While I know the demo is out, that's 5 characters on a roster of like 50.

Last edited:

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
I personally think smash 4 will out live melee (from now forward smash 4 will not live 13 years like melee) simply do to nintendo possibly financially or publicly (witch it already has) supporting smash 4's competitive seen.

Last edited:

tttt

Smash Cadet
I personally think smash 4 will out live melee (from now forward smash 4 will not live 13 years like melee) simply do to nintendo possibly financially or publicly (witch it already has) supporting smash 4's competitive seen.
Melee will live forever. So far it seems like there is no other smash game like melee (in the competitive sense) and people will hold on to that till the end of time. I do believe Sm4sh will be bigger than melee for a little while, maybe 2 years, but in the end melee and it's fans will just keep playing, with or without Nintendo's support. I mean, we have done it without Nintendo's support all these years, right? Why do we need them now that we are bigger than ever.

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Melee will live forever. So far it seems like there is no other smash game like melee (in the competitive sense) and people will hold on to that till the end of time. I do believe Sm4sh will be bigger than melee for a little while, maybe 2 years, but in the end melee and it's fans will just keep playing, with or without Nintendo's support. I mean, we have done it without Nintendo's support all these years, right? Why do we need them now that we are bigger than ever.
Honestly whenever I hear people talk like this...well...

There seem to be some overly vocal people in the Melee community that just won't change. I mean, we're having the Gamecube control come back AGAIN, so there's even less reason to change or accept change. People keep treating this game as some threat to their way of life, instead of as an evolution of gameplay. So many people are dismissing this game instead of giving it a chance to flourish, and it's just going to cause a needless split in the community. At least wait for it to come out before talking about how Melee will last forever and Sm4sh is a flash in the pan.

tttt

Smash Cadet
Honestly whenever I hear people talk like this...well...

[BIG PICTURE]

There seem to be some overly vocal people in the Melee community that just won't change. I mean, we're having the Gamecube control come back AGAIN, so there's even less reason to change or accept change. People keep treating this game as some threat to their way of life, instead of as an evolution of gameplay. So many people are dismissing this game instead of giving it a chance to flourish, and it's just going to cause a needless split in the community. At least wait for it to come out before talking about how Melee will last forever and Sm4sh is a flash in the pan.
I am saying that there are no doubt die hard fans for Melee and everyone knows that, that's how I know that Melee will last forever. They have a good reason to leech on to such a great game, it's a masterpiece. I think Sm4sh will be bigger than Melee for a while but afterwards it will still be pretty big just not *as* big as Melee. It will probably be bigger than Project M too, I'm almost predicting Project M will slowly fade out with Sm4sh coming out so soon. I know, you know, everyone knows that there is going to be a big schism in the community with Sm4sh and Melee, bigger than the Brawl one. Its pretty much inevitable.

I'm not refusing change, I just know that Melee is a game that will never die out because of hardcore fans.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
If we only use vocal people as our reasons for our attitude toward a game, then I would literally dedicate myself to violently dragging down Melee and Melee players at every turn because the most vocal ones virulently hate on anything that's not Melee, which I believe is toxic - and since building up the other games won't work (naturally, no one listens but simply shouts louder), I instead would do my best to relentlessly assault Melee, find every single flaw present in it and work to make people think the game is utter trash and not worthy of anyone's time, too cruel a punishment to inflict on those who would otherwise receive the death sentence.

...but I don't do that. Why? Because this statement is incorrect - you will meet people who are not vocal at tournaments, or even meet people who play and enjoy both games (I can assure you if you ran into Jason Zimmerman he wouldn't be telling you that Melee is a terrible game, and neither would Anther, ESAM, Zero, or a variety of other players I expect will play Smash 4 who are well-established in other Smash games).

And for the record there are still plenty of people on the boards who aren't "just enjoying your game" but still assault Brawl almost daily, trying to bring it down as far as possible because it wasn't a game they liked. I've run into far too many of them actually... and I know a 14-year old on MN's PR, and there are other young players on PRs elsewhere, so not all of the scene is more mature, don't try to feed people crap like that.

There's also a different between identifying differences (positive statements) and making claims about the games as they relate to each other, especially statements about 'better' or 'worse' (normative statements). You can make all the positive (lacking opinion) statements you want, but your normative statements (that are most often critical) are unappreciated because you have no way to test your opinions, so it of course comes across as Smash 4-hating. Then people who don't like Melee much will also make generalizations that may not be fully accurate, but are certainly as accurate as other people's guesses, as a way of stating that sure, maybe the new game isn't perfect, but Melee isn't either, so get over it. As I stated above, there's not a way to positively defend most things convincingly, but one can bring something down much more convincingly (people are more convinced when they see something horrible than when they see something good). People also fundamentally disagree with things you probably believe axiomatically, so then they disrupt those axioms with their own counter-assertions, and whenever a person has their axiomatic beliefs questioned, they are usually infuriated because it often comes across as just directly insulting or complete idioicy. But it's not idiocy, only a different viewpoint. But this probably helps explain why there is Melee "hate" in the thread (it's honestly not even that bad compared to what Brawl has had to/has to go through from so many people).

tl;dr - extremely biased observation and terrible logic means that while you can use what you think you know, your so-called "knowledge" is grossly inaccurate.

shapular

Smash Ace
LOL Here's a direct quote form Hungrybox, circa 2012:

F*ck Brawl.

Do a u-substitution: * = u.
This is the greatest thing I've ever read. I love math jokes.

The rest of the post pretty much said all the things I wanted to say. I really don't know how a well-known guy like Praxis could write such rubbish and have it approved for MIOM. I'm actually not even sure if it's supposed to be a serious article or some kind of satire, since Praxis is known for playing Brawl.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
People are sensitive about this kind of stuff because Brawl players still have to deal with the damage done by the vocal minority of Melee players. There's a lot of people, not necessarily on Smashboards but usually on Twitch or Youtube or Reddit who know absolutely nothing about competitive Brawl other than what a few frustrated Melee players said about it, and that kind of thing did a lot to deter potential newcomers from trying out Brawl and hurt the scene. It wasn't quite as much a factor in Brawl's demise as the internal politics of the BBR or the flaws in the game itself, but it was a factor and it still stings to a lot of people. I agree that most Melee players have moved on and are much better than when I first started lurking here in 2009, but you have to understand that people get sensitive about these kind of criticisms because this game shows a lot of promise but they don't want it to die from bad publicity simply because it isn't everyone's cup of tea. (Not that bad publicity was the only or even the primary problem with Brawl, but that's the way some people see it) The only way this kind of pointless infighting is going to stop is for both sides to get over it and just play the game they prefer and not make sweeping and untrue generalizations about the other game/community.

Senario

Smash Ace
People are sensitive about this kind of stuff because Brawl players still have to deal with the damage done by the vocal minority of Melee players. There's a lot of people, not necessarily on Smashboards but usually on Twitch or Youtube or Reddit who know absolutely nothing about competitive Brawl other than what a few frustrated Melee players said about it, and that kind of thing did a lot to deter potential newcomers from trying out Brawl and hurt the scene. It wasn't quite as much a factor in Brawl's demise as the internal politics of the BBR or the flaws in the game itself, but it was a factor and it still stings to a lot of people. I agree that most Melee players have moved on and are much better than when I first started lurking here in 2009, but you have to understand that people get sensitive about these kind of criticisms because this game shows a lot of promise but they don't want it to die from bad publicity simply because it isn't everyone's cup of tea. (Not that bad publicity was the only or even the primary problem with Brawl, but that's the way some people see it) The only way this kind of pointless infighting is going to stop is for both sides to get over it and just play the game they prefer and not make sweeping and untrue generalizations about the other game/community.
Exactly, I will not tolerate hate on smash 4 or hate on melee in the smash scene I run at my college. But at the same time I do not expect people to move to a game they do not enjoy or a game they do not find to be their cup of tea.

I'm passing on the 3ds version of smash simply because I like my 3ds (Fire Emblem awakening limited edition) and I don't intend to play smash on it because I'll probably ruin it.

All that said, I actually started playing melee competitively around when brawl came out. I was a brawl player at first during release but after a while I got bored with the game. Decided to head back to melee to see if I could learn it because knowledge of melee's competitive scene was what made me want to try out Brawl as a competitive game. Needless to say I enjoyed Melee more personally. And even PM, a lot of melee players dislike PM but I honestly see it as more of a spiritual successor to melee. It isn't perfect, but that is why they are trying to fix it. I'll play it occasionally but melee will still be my main game.

Depending on how smash 4 wii U turns out I'll consider playing that occasionally too. But if I see the same exact thing as 3ds but in HD I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed since you could do so much more on Wii U since you have GC controls.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I believe that Smash 4 will have a long-lived competitive scene. The tournament matches I've seen were really enjoyable to watch and got me interested in the competitive scene... Something that Melee failed to do for me. (Seriously, I find Melee's tournament matches INCREDIBLY boring.)

Thor

Smash Champion
I thought that people were already giving the current Smash competitive attention, perhaps I was mistaken.
I know of a tournament in my area that I can go to on the 25th of October and a tournament on like the 11th that I can't go to - and our school's registered student organization (a club) "Competitive Smash RSO" [they put it in the name I guess] is planning on doing Smash 3DS tournaments at least monthly, unless interest drops so far off that we don't have the people willing to play (captain said if we can get at least 8 every time, we'll hold it).

So yeah, there's attention being given.

EDIT: With respect to the post above me, I find matches of all games interesting to watch, but matches between random high-tiers in Melee is usually not interesting to watch, while for me the only boing Brawl matches are when I watch super random people who play MK/ICs very poorly against another high-tier (against a low/mid-tier I still watch to see if the low/mid-tier will overcome the matchup).

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 will have a thriving competitive scene at first. Melee will still be the top game and no I don't think people should take a break from it, just to play smash 4. Nintendo certainly wants people to move on and only play smash 4, but there are just too many things that Melee (and PM) offer that the other Smash games don't.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I think it'll be dope. Lots of things to be excited about.

No doubt this game is gonna see some great competitive play. I think Smash 4 is the best shot in getting this community picked up by MLG again.

I'm gonna go with what Mango said and say that melee has got another 5 years before it fizzles out. I think Smash 4 will find itself as a the replacement by the end of the current gen cycle.

Last edited:

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
Smash 4 will have a bigger competitive scene than both Melee and Brawl Combined, mark my words. I'm the dictator of mushroom kingdom

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Reading all of these post just made me realize that this new Smash game will be competitive at first but then be partly overshadowed by Melee. Look, I understand why Melee is the game that it is today (mostly because the game had some "accidents" that people exploit to make the most of it), but I do agree that people should move away from Melee. It is only natural to progress as time passes by.

However, the community wants a new Smash game that is an improvement over Melee with all the things Melee intended (or did not intend) to offer. It wasn't Sakurai's intention to make Melee the game that it is today or to make future Smash games similar to what Melee is today. Even though Sakurai and Nintendo listen to their fans, they will follow their creative direction first before including any elements to any future Smash game.

Just look at this new Smash game. Sakurai listened to the fans by making the physics of the game faster and rebuilding some of the Smash veterans but it still is not a Melee "progression" since elements like wavedashing and L-cancelling are not present. It is evident that the trend towards supporting Melee by the community alone will continue until Sakurai or Nintendo decide to make an improved version of Melee.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Reading all of these post just made me realize that this new Smash game will be competitive at first but then be partly overshadowed by Melee. Look, I understand why Melee is the game that it is today (mostly because the game had some "accidents" that people exploit to make the most of it), but I do agree that people should move away from Melee. It is only natural to progress as time passes by.

However, the community wants a new Smash game that is an improvement over Melee with all the things Melee intended (or did not intend) to offer. It wasn't Sakurai's intention to make Melee the game that it is today or to make future Smash games similar to what Melee is today. Even though Sakurai and Nintendo listen to their fans, they will follow their creative direction first before including any elements to any future Smash game.

Just look at this new Smash game. Sakurai listened to the fans by making the physics of the game faster and rebuilding some of the Smash veterans but it still is not a Melee "progression" since elements like wavedashing and L-cancelling are not present. It is evident that the trend towards supporting Melee by the community alone will continue until Sakurai or Nintendo decide to make an improved version of Melee.
So you're basically saying the competitive community will only be happy with Melee2.0?
Wow...how selfish they are.

Last edited:

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
So you're basically saying the competitive community will only be happy with Melee2.0?
Technically, yes (and I say technically because there are some people inside the community who like the new Smash game the way it is). I personally want Sakurai and Nintendo to follow their own direction before considering any external elements to be included in the game. After all, it is Sakurai's game and whatever decision he makes on the future Smash games he decides said decision for the good of the series.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman

Unless you were joking or trolling (It would be in very poor taste to joke about this considering how people on these boards are) I find this insulting. You are putting negative connotations on people for both liking a game and wanting to play a game that is like that game. Wanting a successor to Melee is not selfish it is simply wanting to get the most out of loving a game. If people prefer Smash to be like Melee that desire is no more selfish than liking that the game isn't like Melee. Are you selfish for liking Smash 4 the way it is? No. Than it isn't selfish to prefer it to be different either. It is people like you that drive people to stick to one little area of the boards and not come to discuss other areas. Maybe if people weren't so hostile toward Melee players, then they might find something to like about other games.

Renji64

Smash Lord
ive been playing smash 4 since jp release. i think you guys are in for a surprise once you get your hands on it. i like it and all, just like i liked brawl and every smash game, but man, project m really has spoiled me

-the balance is not what you would think it would be after all this time and namco helping
-the ledge is completely noobified and i hate it
-there still isnt as much hitstun as you guys all think. i know some of you are linking videos of some dude chaining tilts on a computer at 0% but it doesnt work like that with humans. combos are more towards the brawl side than anything else. relying on hard reads, certain characters never having a follow up past 30%, etc
-im still bitter about the roster

im sure it will feel better playing on the wii with a GC controller but yea. its a shame. smash 4 just doesnt feel that great after almost 7 years of waiting. it feels like it couldve came out in late 2010. the time spent on the 3ds version, which i imagine 90% of the people on this website will barely touch after the wii one comes out, clearly damaged this game

that being said, again, i like it. but if you hated brawl and loved melee or PM. youre going to like smash 4 more than brawl. but youre still going to continue to appreciate melee and PM more
Thanks for keeping it real and being honest.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Unless you were joking or trolling (It would be in very poor taste to joke about this considering how people on these boards are) I find this insulting. You are putting negative connotations on people for both liking a game and wanting to play a game that is like that game. Wanting a successor to Melee is not selfish it is simply wanting to get the most out of loving a game. If people prefer Smash to be like Melee that desire is no more selfish than liking that the game isn't like Melee. Are you selfish for liking Smash 4 the way it is? No. Than it isn't selfish to prefer it to be different either. It is people like you that drive people to stick to one little area of the boards and not come to discuss other areas. Maybe if people weren't so hostile toward Melee players, then they might find something to like about other games.
See, the thing is there's no real fighting game that hasn't evolved. Look at SF 2/Alpha/3/4, Mortal Kombat 1-9, or really any other fighting game series.

None of them stay the same, and the series are generally better for it. A straight sequel that's not that modified at all is not a good creative direction to take. A series needs to change if it's going to evolve, so looking for Melee 2.0 really isn't good for the main series. The community has shown that it's willing to put a lot of effort into making Melee 2.0 (PM), and it's incredibly impressive. But it's no reason not to try out something new instead of complaining that it's not Melee 2.0.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Unless you were joking or trolling (It would be in very poor taste to joke about this considering how people on these boards are) I find this insulting.
Whoah there cowboy!

@ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed has a point whether you want to admit it or not! I personally find it ****ing sad that some of us can't be bothered to drop Melee for good after 13 years. Yes it is the game that put Smash Bros on the competitive scene, but clinging onto it and hissing at any new smash bros game that comes along even when you have top developers from Tekken/Soul Caliber working on the game's competitive edge is just childish! That's right, CHILDISH! Think if the Street Fighter community for example were quick to throw IV in the dumpster before even properly testing the game upon release and go back to II, Alpha, or III rather than wisely choosing to first develop its competitive meta as best as possible before reaching a verdict on IV's place in the tournament scene. This what if scenario I just described is unfortunately true as its the best description for the general "MELEE IS BETTER SCREW ANY OTHER SMASH GAMES AFTER IT" attitude that plagued the smash community for years after Brawl's release and while it was somewhat justifiable why the Melee crowd threw a temper tantrum over it back then, its not justifiable to throw one to 3DS/Wii U as *gasp* it has the best of both Melee and Brawl packed in to appease both crowds for the most part and furthermore not everyone has a copy of the 3DS version yet.

You are putting negative connotations on people for both liking a game and wanting to play a game that is like that game. Wanting a successor to Melee is not selfish it is simply wanting to get the most out of loving a game. If people prefer Smash to be like Melee that desire is no more selfish than liking that the game isn't like Melee. Are you selfish for liking Smash 4 the way it is? No. Than it isn't selfish to prefer it to be different either.
While its not wrong for people to want a successor to Melee, A. We already got that it's called Project M. B. What is selfish is bashing on a new game just because it doesn't have exploits/glitches which are both a physical challenge to pull off consistently and more or less alienate new players looking to get into the tournament scene. Brawl was one thing, but 4 is looking to be the competitive game we should have gotten six years ago with Brawl complete with tricks/advanced moves that won't give you hand problems over time and are easy to reasonably tough to pull off while retaining the welcoming new player atmosphere Brawl had. That is all but a bad thing :)

It is people like you that drive people to stick to one little area of the boards and not come to discuss other areas. Maybe if people weren't so hostile toward Melee players, then they might find something to like about other games.
Ad hominem attacks like that even if subtle to most don't help your argument much and if I recall correctly, some of Melee's fanbase did the exact same stuff you complain about it in your post during the Brawl era. Ask any Mod/Staff Memberfrom 2008 onward. Ask them how many flame wars they had to snuff out back then. Ask them about the chaos the boards suffered back then the first few months Brawl was out in stores everywhere. If anything, some Melee players/fans are the problem not the solution and I feel the entire debacle over Melee VS Brawl only got worse when Project M got big and acquired its own fanbase both new and old. As I've said before, they are not wrong for wanting a worthy successor to Melee, they are only in the wrong for bashing unfairly on a new game that's the best of both worlds and making snide comments like "Welp back to Project M" just because their veteran main is different even in cases where it is for the better such as Bowser (and yes I have seen the occasional Melee/PM user whine about Bowser in 4 sadly enough. :facepalm:) doesn't help their case if at all.

It is early sure, but impressions of 4 are almost strongly positive and many have gushed on and on about how its the perfect blend of Melee and Brawl or how much better the cast feels as a whole compared to Brawl's infamous problem with MetaKnight for starters. You don't have to move on if you really don't want you though don't expect 4 to go anywhere anytime soon if you do. Quite a few competitive players have been playing the 3DS version and most like what they see and are willing to pick the game up competitively speaking and once the Wii U version is out complete with the GameCube controller adapter (C-Sticking anyone?), it's expected by many that 4 will go where only Brawl could have dreamed about for most of its competitive run (making the game TOO casual is what happened to killed it in the end along with PM)

Anywhom tl;dr:

While it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that all of the competitive community wants nothing less than a Melee 2.0, the vocal minority annoyingly enough tends to act like they are the mouthpiece for the smash bros community when the reality of the situation is that they're not. Many fans/players are digging what 4 has to offer so far and if the huge enthusiasm for the 3DS version is anything to go by, the Wii U version should not have any problems establishing its own competitive base and later being able to hold its own against the behemoth that is Melee in the tournament scene. :)

edisside

Smash Rookie
NNID
edissde
I feel as if many people are listening to what pro melee players are saying about the game. If they don't like it then they feel as if it won't be a good game, even though it isn't even released yet. The amount of people that want this game to have a competitive scene is high. Even if the big names of the community don't join smash 4 tournaments then new big names will be created in the process. The smash community is massive now and is filled with people who have never played melee, their only real experience is from brawl, this means that they aren't comparing this smash to melee but comparing it to brawl. So I believe their will be a big competitive scene for smash 4, how long it will last depends on gameplay, if people only play the same characters and use the same moves to kill then the community will die out quick.

McX

Smash Cadet
Nope. Melee complainers.

A lot of players, particularly from melee, are never going to learn to appreciate smash 4 the same way as they rejected brawl because they never even gave it a chance.

Brawl is all about mindgames, and really has a lot of depth when you actually give it a go. People keep holding onto melee expecting new smash games to be like it when Sakurai already considered melee a failure. Those days are not going to come back. If you want to play a game as competitive as that, then continue playing melee. The melee scene is still big and is still going to remain big.

Other than that, I'm really hyped about what the new smash has to offer. Definitely more combos, unless vectoring screws everything up. Still, expecting a lot out of this game. Never played melee. Trying not to have a biased opinion. But when the game actually comes out, you all can start judging it. It's still too early to call.

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I personally find it ****ing sad that some of us can't be bothered to drop Melee for good after 13 years. Yes it is the game that put Smash Bros on the competitive scene, but clinging onto it and hissing at any new smash bros game that comes along even when you have top developers from Tekken/Soul Caliber working on the game's competitive edge is just childish! That's right, CHILDISH!
So you think everyone who loves and plays Melee should drop a game that they love and move on to a game you prefer? That not dropping a game they prefer for one you prefer is in fact sad and childish? You want the Melee tournament scene to no longer exist so that a new scene you would prefer can take its place? That is the only thing from your post I take contention with.

I fail to see how enjoying a game you love is childish. It seems far more childish to wish that everyone who enjoys a game would "drop Melee for good" in favor of a game you prefer. I have not seen any Melee players wishing no one would play Smash 4, but the number of people who wish people would stop playing Melee is staggering. The 2 games can and will co-exist.

What I don't understand is this NEED people have for wanting Melee gone. It reminds me of the book Atlas Shrugged. James Taggart is jealous of the men of the mind and because he does not have their ability makes it his goal in life to destroy anyone with ability or intelligence. Similarly I think people see Melee as a threat in some way. They see the skill it takes and rather than strive to reach that they grow bitter and just wish Melee would die. They see Smash 4 and decide that everyone must latch onto that, because their hatred for Melee has already been decided. Rather than let people who prefer Melee enjoy Melee they must "move on" and come to the new game because as long as people love Melee they are unable to justify their own hatred for it. Only when everyone has dropped Melee will they know for sure that they were right in hating it.

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
i don't get the whole "move on" thing thats like telling someone not to go back and play a couple retro games. theres no harm in playing old games, its not like all they do is play melee all day i'm sure they play other games and do other things too.

Last edited:

MiserableLie

Smash Rookie
So you think everyone who loves and plays Melee should drop a game that they love and move on to a game you prefer? That not dropping a game they prefer for one you prefer is in fact sad and childish? You want the Melee tournament scene to no longer exist so that a new scene you would prefer can take its place? That is the only thing from your post I take contention with.

I fail to see how enjoying a game you love is childish. It seems far more childish to wish that everyone who enjoys a game would "drop Melee for good" in favor of a game you prefer. I have not seen any Melee players wishing no one would play Smash 4, but the number of people who wish people would stop playing Melee is staggering. The 2 games can and will co-exist.

What I don't understand is this NEED people have for wanting Melee gone. It reminds me of the book Atlas Shrugged. James Taggart is jealous of the men of the mind and because he does not have their ability makes it his goal in life to destroy anyone with ability or intelligence. Similarly I think people see Melee as a threat in some way. They see the skill it takes and rather than strive to reach that they grow bitter and just wish Melee would die. They see Smash 4 and decide that everyone must latch onto that, because their hatred for Melee has already been decided. Rather than let people who prefer Melee enjoy Melee they must "move on" and come to the new game because as long as people love Melee they are unable to justify their own hatred for it. Only when everyone has dropped Melee will they know for sure that they were right in hating it.
Though I agree, quoting Atlas Shrugged almost disqualifies anything you have to say as legitimate.

Edit: Or rather paraphrasing

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
No, because it doesn't have wavedashing or L-cancellation.
They'll probably give it a chance for a little bit, then go back to Melee.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
In my opinion there two side-

Melee---Smash 4

I already hear good things about smash 4 being competitive. He has its combo, is mind-game, trickster moves and Depp Balanced. After all the game came out just few days ago, and still to wait for America released.

Smash 4 have casual play and competitive play, I like this idea because this make more smash player Get better until he become a better fighter until competitive.

Im gonna complain something why people are overusing ZSS and Sheik, there were build as melee like characters, they have combo and very fast speed and falling sped are fast. Just like any melee character of the past. Dr. Mario somehow it was from melee, he become quite more heavy.

For now on let the game grow more with more competitive player joins in, more and more people will come.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Nope. Melee complainers.

A lot of players, particularly from melee, are never going to learn to appreciate smash 4 the same way as they rejected brawl because they never even gave it a chance.

Brawl is all about mindgames, and really has a lot of depth when you actually give it a go. People keep holding onto melee expecting new smash games to be like it when Sakurai already considered melee a failure. Those days are not going to come back. If you want to play a game as competitive as that, then continue playing melee. The melee scene is still big and is still going to remain big.

Other than that, I'm really hyped about what the new smash has to offer. Definitely more combos, unless vectoring screws everything up. Still, expecting a lot out of this game. Never played melee. Trying not to have a biased opinion. But when the game actually comes out, you all can start judging it. It's still too early to call.
If mindgames equal metaknight dittos standing around i can understand why people don't like brawl. Sakurai said melee is the sharpest in the series lol it is far from a failure. Brawl had so much depth that a mod is more popular than it and nobody plays it anymore LOL.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
If mindgames equal metaknight dittos standing around i can understand why people don't like brawl. Sakurai said melee is the sharpest in the series lol it is far from a failure. Brawl had so much depth that a mod is more popular than it and nobody plays it anymore LOL.
If the "sharpest in the series" is Fox dittos on Final Destination spamming lasers until someone approaches and then spamming L-cancelled aerials. A fan-made mod is more balanced than it, has better controls, more diverse and usable characters, and has better graphics than than the "sharpest in the series" and yet some of Melee's community refuses to play it. LOL!

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
P4R said:
“People keep complaining that they want the game to be more like Melee,” continued Sakurai, “Some people made a modification of Brawl and now think that they’re better than me. I dare them to say that to my face. I’ll have a real brawl with them and show them that their little mod means nothing in the grand scheme of things. All they can do is make one of my games more like one of my other games. And when my new game comes out, everyone will stop playing their little project and play with a real game.”
By the way, you said two "lols" too many in an argument for me to take you seriously as a person

Edit: Yes I know it's a joke, but the point stands

Last edited:
Top Bottom