• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will people finally give current smash competitive attention?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Melee will always be the more fun Smash game from a spectator standpoint, between the top players no match is going to be the same, it's always very creative and exciting to watch.

However, I do think Smash 4 will be fun to watch too, at least once the meta properly develops. Combos are very different in this game compared to Melee and PM, feels more like the opponent is being rushed down, and it seems to have much better balance than past installments too, so I do think there will be an audience for it. The entry skill level for the game is also much lower than Melee's, which means that it's going to be easier to grow the actual playerbase.

I think the most important thing by the end of the day is that even if some people don't like watching Smash 4 that they don't shun it, it stops the scene from growing and ruins the fun for the people who actually like it, ultimately it was that kind of attitude that killed Brawl's scene.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I can't stress the above post enough. Support through both scenes is incredibly important and will ensure that both of them survive and thrive. Brawl and Melee scenes were just too....at each other, and by the time they calmed down it was too late and Melee just emerged out of it with Brawl's scene being rather limited now. I'd hate to see that happen here with the influx of new players.

Senario

Smash Ace
Lol people thinking melee kills are only edgehogs at 20% honestly I thought we as a competitive community were past denouncing a playstyle due to preference. I don't get mad at campy players in melee because I know you can also rush people down.

Smash 4 will be ok to watch. Melee and PM are still going to be far better spectator games though.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
The combos in this game look more traditionally fighting game oriented. It's a good thing.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
The combos in this game look more traditionally fighting game oriented. It's a good thing.
This is definitely my general thought. A lot of combos in every fighting game, while VI can't let you escape in say, SF, in more fundamental SF games they usually end in a knockdown which, while worse for the opponent, is still a situation they can reverse via good wakeup or reversal options.

VI that puts someone up and away from a combo gets them out of some extra damage, but now they have to get back down, and the other player can either be scared and shield, or chase and pressure them non-stop, push them off the stage, and edgeguard. Of course, this is all idealization as I REALLY want the full game to test this.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Within this forum, you can see the vast majority of active posters are really against melee. No surprise Sakurai is just more focused on pleasing the casual- non competitive player way more than competitive.

After playing the game for a while, i can say that it will be the same as brawl. A huuuuge boom the first 6 months ish then it will slowly fade, why? Because watching smash 4 is boring to dead even if playing it is funnier, not as boring as brawl but still. Sadly, smash competitive scene might die slowly since melee is just too damn old and smash 4 will not be as a rewarding competitive game to last several years.

Last edited:

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it is, to be quite honest. Traditional fighting game combos work in traditional fighters because the playing field is very limited by design, which allows players to easily build and maintain momentum. Smash gives players way too many movement and escape options at any given time, and it also seems like shields are stronger than ever in this iteration. As there are few rewards for pressuring the opponent, I'm pretty confident that high level Smash 4 will eventually revolve around safe pokes and zoning, much like Brawl. I don't think most of the tourney scene is looking for that kind of gameplay in Smash, which will hurt this game's chances at replacing Melee in the long run. I could be wrong, though.

On a semi-related note, this is also why the more fast-paced traditional fighters like Marvel and Guilty Gear are based around easy chain combos - if characters have better mobility options, you need more reliable ways to deal guaranteed damage in return. Otherwise, there's very little incentive to adopt an offensive playstyle.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Adversely with air dodge nerfs they've made pressuring the opponent a bit easier, since being in the air is a bad place overall. I think it's too early to say it's gonna end up like Brawl because that game imposed options that didn't benefit offense.

Shields being good is both an offensive and defensive attribute when you look at it as a whole. You can dash into shield, block and then immediately roll/punish and start a small combo or chase the opponent into an unfavorable position. The way I see it, playing it less safe might lead to a more rewarding meta.

Again, I could eat crow if I'm wrong, but while the ground might be defensive, perhaps the air game(following up after low% combos, aggressive offstage edge play) is where the aggressive play becomes really important.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Not quite sure about that. The cool thing about smash is that you were free to make your own playstyle of playing a character. How you approach, how you kill, ect ect. You make up your own combos even if there are some that are basic and work.

Take falco for example, I could shine, dair, shine, dair. Or I could shine, bair. Shine, shine, bair, shine nair, shine, wavedash shine, dair/bair. There were so many options and I didn't even mention the up air combos or flutterkick combo.

People like smash at a competitive level because not only do they like the game but it is not like any other fighting game out there. Not Tekken, not street fighter, not marvel, but it's own unique game where there are many options for both players

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
The game will receive attention of course due to new game hype. However, if the game deserves attention because it is a good competitive game 6 months from now I hope it gets it. If it doesn't deserve the attention, I hope it doesn't get it. Sounds a little pessimistic, but really, if any game (doesn't have to be smash) got attention it didn't deserve while leaving other great games in the dust I would be disappointed.

Developers hopefully learn from community response what does and does not work in a game. This way, we'd be onto bigger and better things in the future.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
In general Smash 4 will be given a proper chance. But Melee Extremists won't.

Smash 4 will be ok to watch. Melee and PM are still going to be far better spectator games though.
That is in your opinion. Personally I get more excited watching Zelda vs Peach or Ness vs Lucas in Brawl than I do anything Melee.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Lets just hope the game is funny enought to keep people hooked...

Althought i doubt anything will beat Melee in that regard. Until Sakurai gets fired..i dont think we will see a gem like melee again.

Im here crossing fingers for smash4 to be a sucess.... its just that it irks me to think that is was made taking as a base a failure like Brawl. Is worrysome.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
One of my friends and I played a whole bunch of Smash 4 over the past weekend. We turned on Project M afterward and genuinely laughed at how good it was. We were at the edge of our seats!

When I play Smash 4, I feel like I can have a coffee in my right hand while doing work with my left. This, in many ways, favours Smash 4. I think Smash 4 will be great to play with non-Smash fans - fans who usually struggle with recovering, using Smash attacks, and having meaningful interactions with the game other than anticipating a Pokeball/hammer to do work for them.

I don't think Smash 4 will be a game most people will want to drive hours upon hours to play. Accordingly, I don't think it will have the expansive and passionate community Melee developed over 13 years.

On the flipside, I see Smash 4 having the healthiest online Smash community to date, so there's that!

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Renji64 may not making his points in the nicest of ways, but I agree with him and share his fears for this game.

The only characters I've seen get early non-stupid kills are Jigglypuff (B-Air, or u-tilt into Rest), Lil' Mac (dat F-Smash, and KO punch), and Bowser (any move lol). They seem to be the only characters who can expect a reasonably early kill. Every other MU seems rather slow, even if both characters are offensive because they'll get knocked really far in high percentages but not die and be immune to edge guarding. I don't think I've seen any commanding combo -> kill sequences besides u-tilt -> Rest.

What I'm really hoping for is that, with the Wii U version, people will be far more comfortable in the off-stage game and edgeguarding and be able to actually punish someone who's sent flying. The new edge mechanics is interesting and not necessarily bad, but when it's combined with the wickedly large blast zones and everyone's recovery becoming amazing, the game has longer lasting stocks than even Brawl. Hopefully being sent off stage is a little closer to being a death sentence and very bad position like in Melee than just merely being an opportunity for your opponent to add little cute chip damage from projectiles and maybe a love-tap before you inevitably grab the ledge.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Why should anyone take a break from melee when people don't even die in this game and there are barely and combos? This game is turning right back into brawl campy slow matches.
Don't play the game then. If you hate it so much, why are you posting in the Smash 4 Forums, this is for people interested in Smash 4, we don't need anyone flaming on a game we want to enjoy. I for one will play both.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Don't play the game then. If you hate it so much, why are you posting in the Smash 4 Forums, this is for people interested in Smash 4, we don't need anyone flaming on a game we want to enjoy. I for one will play both.
I don't hate the game :/ I'm not flaming as well.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Not quite sure about that. The cool thing about smash is that you were free to make your own playstyle of playing a character. How you approach, how you kill, ect ect. You make up your own combos even if there are some that are basic and work.

Take falco for example, I could shine, dair, shine, dair. Or I could shine, bair. Shine, shine, bair, shine nair, shine, wavedash shine, dair/bair. There were so many options and I didn't even mention the up air combos or flutterkick combo.

People like smash at a competitive level because not only do they like the game but it is not like any other fighting game out there. Not Tekken, not street fighter, not marvel, but it's own unique game where there are many options for both players
That is what made smash great and different how you could have your own playstyle and combos did exist but you have to work for them. Now not so much atm.

ferioku

Smash Ace
That is what made smash great and different how you could have your own playstyle and combos did exist but you have to work for them. Now not so much atm.
Ijust wait for the meta to develop. I understan ld concern but there is absolutely no reason to put this in the same section as brawl. It's not brawl 2.0, I thought we all astablished thia by now!

Thor

Smash Champion
melee looks like nothing except characters sliding around like ****ing drift cars until someone eventually gets edgehogged
This is not fully accurate but it's so hilarious I liked it anyway.

Also never EVER watch a Melee Luigi.

Why should anyone take a break from melee when people don't even die in this game and there are barely and combos? This game is turning right back into brawl campy slow matches.
LOL You don't understand much, do you???

People are assuming moves KO when they don't KO (Fox usmash shouldn't KO Falco at 60% on Yoshi's unless it's by the edge and he has DI that sends him off the sides) and moves stale even more heavily than in Melee or Brawl (so I've heard), and since some of the heavies are actually a bit more viable [or look to be so as of now] this time around (Bowser, Samus), it's no wonder KO moves don't seem to be KOing - people need to adjust KO percents for moves before you say people can't kill, that's like saying DK never dies against Falco in Brawl (if you save usmash it KOs at [if memory serves] ~170% - if you stale it, it might not KO above 210%). People will get KO percents down and the KOs will start to seem easier to come by, the problem is just that we assume things that aren't true and then draw conclusions based on false assumptions.

And that's a terrible way to judge a game that's not even properly out in North America yet. Also Sheik's fthrow would like a word with you.

Just because i'm not some sakurai d-sucker doesn't mean i'm not giving it a chance. I'm just gonna find a way to play agressively even if this game ends up just like brawl with a defensive meta.
You should watch more Nairo then, if only to learn what an aggressive MK can do (FOW is also pretty aggressive - his Brawl edgeguarding actually often looks rather suicidal, and he does it during MK dittos too...)

Of course I'm sure you don't watch Brawl, but there are aggressive Brawl players, they're just few and far between (because learning to camp with Falco/Snake/Olimar/Diddy Kong is pretty easy, and in a pro's hands can become very difficult to break through).

Scourge the Hedgehog said:
-Chain grabs have been removed. Good.
Chain grabs were never the problem - chain grabs that removed a character from being viable were the problem (or rather, I see no issue with Marth's CG on Fox/Falco in Melee, but Sheik's CG on Pikachu is admittedly disappointing... and Dedede's MU spread being almost entirely determined by his ability to CG or not CG in an MU is probably a bad thing as well).

Within this forum, you can see the vast majority of active posters are really against melee. No surprise Sakurai is just more focused on pleasing the casual- non competitive player way more than competitive.

After playing the game for a while, i can say that it will be the same as brawl. A huuuuge boom the first 6 months ish then it will slowly fade, why? Because watching smash 4 is boring to dead even if playing it is funnier, not as boring as brawl but still. Sadly, smash competitive scene might die slowly since melee is just too damn old and smash 4 will not be as a rewarding competitive game to last several years.
Could you be any less obnoxious, rude, and poisonous to a positive community? Like, just a little? Please?

I like Melee. A lot. But people like you make me want to just randomly **** on Melee for the flaws it had (which were present, you can deny it and also keep telling people that F stands for fantastic on your report cards...), and people like you in general are part of why I sometimes just hate being on SWF in general. It's so goddamn negative on here - instead of trying to BUILD a community, which I thought was the point of SWF [an online community for people who love Smash, casual and competitive alike], it seems to be like a place where half the people play some of the games and the other half play only one game and just **** on everyone else (I could go find tons of Melee users, but there are also people with overwhelmingly negative attitudes toward those people, like EPsilon933 and a few others at least, and there are people who don't just **** on the people who **** on Brawl but on Melee as well). It's pointless and you've added LITERALLY nothing to this discussion, so can you please just **** off and not come back? Because Smash 4 is exciting to watch for a lot of people, and it is looking to be like another hugely fun installment, and your doom-and-gloom predictions are fully unwanted (and thus far, unwarranted). You can come back and dance all over my inbox in 5 years if you want, but I'm sure nearly the entirety of people in this thread would appreciate if you didn't start now.

I wish the boards were full of people who brightened my day when they entered a forum - you are one of the (all too many) people who brighten my day when you leave it.

There is still plenty of freestyling possible in Smash 4, and without crouch-cancelling, it's possible that 80% of the bread and butter combos won't have to start with shine either (I'm making a bit of a joke, but Melee did limit some combo-starting options, especially at low percents, because of crouch-cancelling - Marths can pretty much never start a combo with dancing blade into tech-chase from the knockdown, but that's only because of crouch-cancelling - imagine if Marth could safely use dancing blade in Melee... wait that's actually a little scary...).

My thoughts: Yes it will get attention.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Ijust wait for the meta to develop. I understan ld concern but there is absolutely no reason to put this in the same section as brawl. It's not brawl 2.0, I thought we all astablished thia by now!
It is clear what direction this game is gonna go.

Senario

Smash Ace
This is not fully accurate but it's so hilarious I liked it anyway.

Also never EVER watch a Melee Luigi.

LOL You don't understand much, do you???

People are assuming moves KO when they don't KO (Fox usmash shouldn't KO Falco at 60% on Yoshi's unless it's by the edge and he has DI that sends him off the sides) and moves stale even more heavily than in Melee or Brawl (so I've heard), and since some of the heavies are actually a bit more viable [or look to be so as of now] this time around (Bowser, Samus), it's no wonder KO moves don't seem to be KOing - people need to adjust KO percents for moves before you say people can't kill, that's like saying DK never dies against Falco in Brawl (if you save usmash it KOs at [if memory serves] ~170% - if you stale it, it might not KO above 210%). People will get KO percents down and the KOs will start to seem easier to come by, the problem is just that we assume things that aren't true and then draw conclusions based on false assumptions.

And that's a terrible way to judge a game that's not even properly out in North America yet. Also Sheik's fthrow would like a word with you.

You should watch more Nairo then, if only to learn what an aggressive MK can do (FOW is also pretty aggressive - his Brawl edgeguarding actually often looks rather suicidal, and he does it during MK dittos too...)

Of course I'm sure you don't watch Brawl, but there are aggressive Brawl players, they're just few and far between (because learning to camp with Falco/Snake/Olimar/Diddy Kong is pretty easy, and in a pro's hands can become very difficult to break through).

Chain grabs were never the problem - chain grabs that removed a character from being viable were the problem (or rather, I see no issue with Marth's CG on Fox/Falco in Melee, but Sheik's CG on Pikachu is admittedly disappointing... and Dedede's MU spread being almost entirely determined by his ability to CG or not CG in an MU is probably a bad thing as well).

Could you be any less obnoxious, rude, and poisonous to a positive community? Like, just a little? Please?

I like Melee. A lot. But people like you make me want to just randomly **** on Melee for the flaws it had (which were present, you can deny it and also keep telling people that F stands for fantastic on your report cards...), and people like you in general are part of why I sometimes just hate being on SWF in general. It's so goddamn negative on here - instead of trying to BUILD a community, which I thought was the point of SWF [an online community for people who love Smash, casual and competitive alike], it seems to be like a place where half the people play some of the games and the other half play only one game and just **** on everyone else (I could go find tons of Melee users, but there are also people with overwhelmingly negative attitudes toward those people, like EPsilon933 and a few others at least, and there are people who don't just **** on the people who **** on Brawl but on Melee as well). It's pointless and you've added LITERALLY nothing to this discussion, so can you please just **** off and not come back? Because Smash 4 is exciting to watch for a lot of people, and it is looking to be like another hugely fun installment, and your doom-and-gloom predictions are fully unwanted (and thus far, unwarranted). You can come back and dance all over my inbox in 5 years if you want, but I'm sure nearly the entirety of people in this thread would appreciate if you didn't start now.

I wish the boards were full of people who brightened my day when they entered a forum - you are one of the (all too many) people who brighten my day when you leave it.

There is still plenty of freestyling possible in Smash 4, and without crouch-cancelling, it's possible that 80% of the bread and butter combos won't have to start with shine either (I'm making a bit of a joke, but Melee did limit some combo-starting options, especially at low percents, because of crouch-cancelling - Marths can pretty much never start a combo with dancing blade into tech-chase from the knockdown, but that's only because of crouch-cancelling - imagine if Marth could safely use dancing blade in Melee... wait that's actually a little scary...).

My thoughts: Yes it will get attention.
Marths dancing blade had more problems than being crouch cancellable. The first hit was good for shield pressure though. The main problem is that dancing blade did not properly link into itself well so its usefulness soon ran out. Marth could still approach with grabs, tilts, shield pressure, air moves with platforms, ect.

I dont feel like smash 4 has enough freestyling for combos currently. Generally praxis wrote a much more in depth analysis and talk on community division that I generally agree with. I would say it is a good read for anybody.

http://www.meleeitonme.com/on-the-future-and-the-repeat-of-history/

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
No point trying to reason with him. He's someone who always seems to be a downer.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
No point trying to reason with him. He's someone who always seems to be a downer.
I know, he's been like that even when I've been lurking. Which was in 2013! I don't even get it any more, people just want the exact same game as melee, if it's not melee screw it, it isn't a good game! These are the ones that ruin the community and I'm fed up of it.

Oh and Renji64, the commentator didn't say the gameplay was like braw. I remember him saying that at early percentages it's more combo oriented, whilst at higher percentages it's like brawl. You haven't even gotten your hands on the full game and you're already bashing it. It's like you actually want it to fail!

Thor

Smash Champion
Praxis's article [at least the part that describes Smash 4 itself] reads like used toilet paper. I've already explained to various people why preconceptions people make about the game are factually incorrect - guess I'll do it again here...

For example, the Vector Influence (VI) mechanic is going to result in a lot more survivability.
FALSE[/very inconclusive]: While the new mechanic DOES increase survivability compared to no mechanic to adjust launch trajectory, it DOES NOT increase survivability relative to a non-64 baseline. If we look to Smsah 64, sure it increases survivability - SO DOES DI! People seem to forget that DI is VERY often used to survive that Fox usmash for 10 more percent on your life (or more, I don't know exact percents), that CCing in Melee + DI (Which was possibly) could add in excess of 30% more on your lifespan (see a Jiggs true-CC a Fox usmash at 90% - imagine TAS survivability with CCing + DI). Directional Influence ALREADY increased survivability by reducing the relevant vector components of flight that determined if you died or not - the new "vector influence" [or what I prefer calling "Distance Influence" abbreviated "DI" :awesome:] does the EXACT SAME THING.

The ONLY difference is that you directly affect the vector, which people somehow assumes makes it more effective than Melee/Brawl DI. This MAY be true, but there is FAR too little testing to determine if this is actually true or not, and as such, the claim is of dubious value and the reasoning behind it is utter bullcrap.

The buffing of many recoveries and removal of edgehogging creates a game where you can chase people very deep offstage, but you can’t stop someone from getting back if you fail to kill them with the initial chase.
That's like saying you can't KO Falco in Melee if Doc's bair doesn't KO him with the initial bair - I've seen some footage where Doc gets Falco's initial phantasm with bair, and Falco's DI is good enough that he can just phantasm again, but Doc can bair again (ledge-cancel dropzone yay!) and get the gimp.

Also proven incorrect if anyone has seen Nairo fighting - sure Zelda looks to be VERY difficult to gimp (I'm sure people are in the lab on it already), but I've seen him stage-spike more than a few Fox/other characters with Lightning Kicks, and if he sourspots I've seen him regrab ledge and drop off to try again - you can definitely KO if you miss the initial chase, but unlike in Melee, missing the initial chase while your opponent gets back doesn't usually mean ramen noodles.

But VI is worse in another aspect- it creates (from the attacker’s perspective) inconsistent knockback. People can end up anywhere within a radius after being hit.
I swear he doesn't understand what DI (of Melee/Brawl) actually is... or else he doesn't get what a radius is... Melee allows for angle adjustment, which means you can end up anywhere within a radius (or I guess a certain distance) in Melee/Brawl too. MAYBE he was trying to state that there are more possible places to end up, but that's the point of chasing them down - a person had to be chased down in Melee, and at least half of those places mean your opponent has to chase less far - just like tech chasing where you can roll away ["VI" away], but you can also roll in or stand straight up. And "VI" in is like CC DI in, your opponent may overshoot you.

His arguments about airdodging are ok, but he hasn't gone the next step that all good Brawl players have to take - it becomes a mental bait-and-punish game - if you always airdodge you WILL eat punishment for it, and if you airdodge too close to the ground, say hello to offense's good friend lag-from-a-defensive-option. I know in Brawl I've landed several followups merely by altering whether I attack right away after an attack or if I just follow them, guessing that they'll airdodge and timing the attack to him them afterwards - similarly if people spaced around a Samus/Peach instant nair they would have better success "comboing" her, which is what many of the best Melee players already do.

The “rage mechanic” is poor game design; it’s made for rubber banding. It means that the player who is “losing” has better kill options and can suddenly turn the tide. For newer players who may be used to party games like Mario Kart, or board games, this might sound like a good thing, but it is definitely not in a competitive game. In a fighting game, the winning player should have an advantage that he can use to press his opponent. The losing player has to then take riskier options that will either get him back in the game or end the game very quickly... If the better player cannot consistently win because of this, the game should not be considered competitive. Fortunately, Rage is fairly weak in effect.
[I think I got a little redundant here but whatever]

The first part is fundamentally not true - rage has been shown to do very little, it's not gonna net you a KO on your opponent at 70% unless you already have strong KO potential - Praxis is using hyperbole to its fullest by vastly overestimating the shown effects of rage and overestimating how effective "VI" is when "VI"'s effects are unknown relative to DI and the Rage effect (from a few videos I've seen) appears slight. He notes it at the end, which is merely a clever way to write an article such that people note the perceived downsides of rage without realizing that it doesn't do much, if anything.

More importantly, he misses the (in my opinion) obvious implication [which I realized when I heard about it immediately] - this is designed to reward offensive play by making at least part of your KO potential "Use it or lose it" without substantially buffing you for being at high percents - so the loser has a slight reason to go on the offensive while down, instead of sitting in shield and trying to tack on damage before dying to a KO throw at 200% (which Praxis has already stated he wants to avoid because it's slow) - in other words it encourages those riskier options because they are more likely to get him back in the game, but given what's shown, this isn't a starman, it's more like a mushroom - it can give you a boost, but you yourself still have to be within striking distance for it to really matter.

The rage mechanic has another effect - it means two players at high percents do not need as strong a finishing blow to score a KO, which means that fears that games will drag on are less likely because players will need less commitment to score KOs (Falco bair might be a better KO move, or something), meaning players then have strong incentives to go on the offensive, with a use-it-or-lose-it buff and the ability to look for a safer KO move thanks to the rage [if they don't start hunting, and they make one mistake, their opponent could get the KO and they have to work harder than when they were at high percent to KO - meaning it actually makes the person who gets the KO have a more decisive lead than they otherwise would, since they potentially just made some moves that might KO them not do so, and encourages even MORE risk-taking by players up a full stock, since then getting a two-stock lead [or a win] becomes easier with rage]. This mechanic would seem to reward aggression when your back is to the wall, which was stated to be a good thing.

Not having rage is like being handicapped for being down, so it's only rubber-banding if you think percent lead should always have the advantage - but I think a Fox at 70% has an advantage over a Puff at 65% on Yoshi's Story if they are in neutral, despite the percents [it doesn't do enough to truly rubber-band someone]. And it's been shown to be rather effective - Lucario in Brawl is often willing to take risk at high percents because the payoff is HUGE compared to low percents, and he's already in the redzone - the same logic should apply here.

ALSO, you could avoid this with early KOs/gimps - it adds another layer of strategy in how you go about KOing opponents, except it applies to everyone now, not just Lucario.

The new ledge invincibility mechanics are also interesting, and favor the person in peril; the person returning to the stage will snap with invincibility, while the person chasing will not have invincibility. That is because invincibility is determined by airtime. This seems like a negative change to offstage game, however, it is likely a worthy tradeoff to rid the game of planking.
The person chasing would get i-frames if they chased offstage far enough, no? If this is false, someone tell me, but otherwise this would stop ramen noodles but wouldn't actually stop the chaser from getting a few i-frames if they fail. Glad he noted that it eliminates planking. He does however fail to note that the "snap" is noticeably smaller than in Brawl.

The mechanics of Vector Influence and Rage both contribute tomaking knockback inconsistent. (Note: I don’t mean “random”- I mean that the player attacking will be unable to know the amount of knockback his attack will have as so many variables effect it, including ones his opponent controls.) Making knockback inconsistent completely changes the appraisal of the game if it becomes hard to know when a move transitions in to a kill move. Often times, you won’t know if an upsmash is enough to finish your opponent. Adding inconsistency makes the game worse at high level play, even if it’s not random.
LOL game's not out in NA and and he's expecting people to know KO percents. People learned KO percents in Melee and Brawl by assuming perfect DI and testing them - the same thing will happen in Smash 4 with 0% on you and perfect "VI", and if people feel the need to, they can test it with rage too - it might be more numbers to memorize, but if people actually care to know if their attack will kill, they'll find out. [It may also be that someone figures out a simple formula that equates rage to percent reduction in KO percents, which would make this easier - I don't know if it will, but it's possible.]

The fact that he would make this statement is in my opinion fairly pathetic - is he unaware of how KO percents were determined in the other games???

Blurring the lines of a player’s capabilities in any given situation reduces the depth of the interaction between the players
They're only blurred if you don't do your homework - your sentiment is like me being salty that Falcon's knee didn't KO at 80% because they were playing as Bowser. I didn't do my homework and didn't use it close enough to the blastline, so of course it won't KO. Once people learn the KO percents that assume maximum survivability by the opponent (perfect "VI") this problem will vanish.

You will not be able to set up in to kills, and instead rely on fishing for them.
Doesn't understand that some characters have real setups for certain situations - Falco had SHDL -> BDACUS on a landing character, because they either airdodged into the BDACUS or ate two lasers and had insufficient time to airdodge, MK had uair -> shuttleloop high up, where either uair KO'd or airdodge frame trap KO'd, and dair gimps where you either ate a dair and died off the side or airdodged and were too low to recover, Pikachu had QAC lock -> Thunder2, ZSS had stuff with her whip... also in the current game there is Jiggs utilt rest, and any of the jab locks (Pikachu, Mario off the top of my head) into a smash attack. C'mon, don't spread misinformation. KO setups were harder in Brawl than Melee, but they by no means didn't exist. And Melee had situations where one had to fish for KOs too (Peach above 120%? Good luck Marth, if she's SDIing dancing blade you can start fishing or get her to like 190% before you'll get a KO).

However, both the Rage and VI mechanics have a fairly small effect on total knockback, particularly Rage. Since the mechanics are not overly pronounced, they should not be game-breaking (and there are other fighting games with similar mechanics to Rage that have remained competitive, including Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom 3), and it would be unfair to write the game off because of these. The steps forward of fixing planking
Incomplete paragraph that is staged strategically directly below a large header - that's either very poor formatting or attempting to dismiss counterarguments [which also exclude the ones I wrote above before even reading this part...].

Praxis is not giving Smash 4 a balanced analysis here (I'm not doing that either, but Praxis already did all the work on one side, I'm merely catching the other side back up - if someone wanted my opinion with no outside influence I'd probably say some of what Praxis has said as well).

You are going to see people making very big leaps to justify mechanics that are poor
Not as big as your leaps to label acceptable mechanics poor - unbalanced analyses like these irritate me because they act like there's only one side to the debate - if there's one thing I can state unequivocally, there is NEVER only one side to a debate, especially about something subjective like a video game.

Also he tries to make a claim that begs the question by assuming the mechanics he attacked are poor and using that as a reason to attack someone else's explanation for their acceptability by stating that they are already known to be poor. That's a logical fallacy and biased writing right there.

This will lead to new players perceiving Melee players as rude, particularly on Smashboards
Some will get this undeservedly, but he's acting like there are no rude Melee players. That's empirically denied.

There’s a fair case to objectively describe Melee as the best game in the series
Does not understand what the word objectively means. Best is ALWAYS a matter of opinion (as I will detail and give a few examples of below).

From every aspect of competitive game design, Melee is a better game
Airdodging that induces helplessness is not necessarily or objectively better game design. Neither is crouch-cancelling, and as for L-cancelling... don't get me started on L-cancelling [I've written very long posts about that elsewhere]. That's a small selection of reasons this is objectively false (Definitional incorrectness will make things objectively false). As one more kicker, he's assuming in this statement that games skewed to offensive play makes for a better competitive game - that's not objectively true, even if it is true for many people [that would be called subjectively true], and it makes his argument fall apart [and any reasons cited to why it would be true are matters of opinion, therefore they are subjective, not objective, which means I'm still objectively [from a definition standpoint] correct, like it or not].

being technically better
Subjective.

There are no real rushdown characters
Play FOW and/or Nairo's Meta Knight and get back to me on that, mkay? You can play a defensive MK against them, but at the very top, that just doesn't work well (Zero showed us that at Apex 2014, and he put on one heck of a show).

And don't get me wrong, Nairo does use some defensive options, but they are very strategically used, much like a Fox's defensive options in Melee (not that he has tons, but whatever). It's just that Nairo seems to favor offense much more, and it works.

Try not to be too mean to them. When someone tells you how Rage is a great mechanic and says “God forbid your opponent has a chance to turn the tide on you,” reply nicely. They will perceive you as arrogant otherwise.
At this point he's just trying to provoke people. But I'll oblige him: "GOD FORBID YOUR OPPONENT HAS A CHANCE TO TURN THE TIDE ON YOU!!!" I'm not saying I agree with Rage, or that I think it's a great mechanic, but it would correct for other things he seems to think are failing [namely the untested KO percents and severe stale move negation that no one seems to like]... and I've cited above why I think his analysis is inaccurate at best.

There are already threads on Smashboards claiming that Smash 4 pessimists are “ruining it” for everyone else.
That's like saying we shouldn't call people out for making doom-and-gloom predictions despite there being factually inaccurate/nonfalsifiable claims present or insufficient data to back it up.

*rereads article*

Wait... oh I see what he did there. Clever.

Like Brawl, Smash 4 will have an emphasis on walking over running, because there is no movement option out of run.
It's called a jump. Also some aerials seem to be safer on shield, and you can always land behind them... there's now not a risk of tripping 2 feet in front of someone's shield. Also dash -> shield -> shield drop can often get you very close, even if not at the ideal range.

Smash 4 will definitely improve with time, but it’s going to improve on a similar schedule to Brawl. The game is not going to magically turn in to Melee. Game length is already much longer than early Brawl games.
That's because people tried to play Brawl like Melee (and didn't know about hitstun cancelling) while people are trying to play Smash 4 like Brawl - if Smash 4 had come out after Melee, it would be very likely that the games would be shorter because people would be trying to do Melee stuff in Smash 4, not Brawl stuff.

This is a result of coming out after Brawl and not Melee, not a result of Smash 4 necessarily lending itself to games longer than Brawl.

Also I don't even care, the game IS too young to judge (not out in NA) - and I have an easy deadline - the first major national, Apex. Until then, regional strategies might not see each other, so we won't know what really works and what doesn't - once that occurs we can start to lay stuff down (I think a tier list prior is premature, but a tier list shortly after Apex would be good timing).

I want to put a special shoutout here for Hungrybox, who I remember cheering on Brawl grand finals at Apex 2010 while other Melee players left. Hungrybox heavily contributed to me personally eventually becoming involved with the Melee scene in addition to Brawl and Project M. I doubt he even remembers me being at that tournament, but it had a lasting effect.
If you want Smash 4 players to appreciate Melee, be like Hungrybox.
LOL Here's a direct quote form Hungrybox, circa 2012:

F*ck Brawl.

Do a u-substitution: * = u.

I appreciate the effort and didn't know Hbox did that in 2010. It's a shame he kinda gave up on that attitude and switched to crapping on Brawl when he did commentary [although him of all people I understand... Jigglypuff fell so far...].

Since I'm curious what he'll have to say to me about all this:

@Praxis

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Well, it seems like nothing in life can last forever and we simply just cannot get what we really want.

We got uber teased and spoiled with Melee. Who would have guessed that Sakurai would turn insane and crap on the franchise.

Life is such a b*tch sometimes

Thor

Smash Champion
Well, it seems like nothing in life can last forever and we simply just cannot get what we really want.

We got uber teased and spoiled with Melee. Who would have guessed that Sakurai would turn insane and crap on the franchise.

Life is such a b*tch sometimes
You got spoiled by Melee, that's for darn sure.

But what you want is clearly not what everyone wants (See various posts on discussions of L-cancelling, CCing, and other stuff)), but Sakurai never went insane, he just managed to get a better handle on understanding how to make the game accessible to everyone, without destroying the game as a competitive platform [and contrary to popular belief, there are several arguments, many of them grounded in simple definitions, that explain why Brawl was perfectly able to support competitive play, even if the form of play was different from Melee].

You can by all means keep playing Melee, but you don't need to fill this thread with your whining (that also has a completely lack of any arguments for why you feel how you do, besides the implicit "It's not Melee").

And for what it's worth, I think several important indicators suggest the franchise is improving - characters seem more balanced [heck even in Brawl more of the cast was viable, MK cast a shadow over those characters but remove him and the problem is almost completely gone, as every other character then has a counter, unlike in Melee where you need to axe Fox, Falco, and Puff to remove characters who have no losing MUs (or gain no losing MUs when a character is removed)], toxic infinites are finally removed for good [Robin ZSS excepted, which I've heard is getting patched...] (there were at least two I can think of in Melee that applied to large portions of the cast, and in Brawl there were tons of jab locks, etc., although since I believe MK lacked a jab lock/reliable setups to a jab lock they actually sort of helped to counterbalance him...), the cast is expanding, the game is drawing in new fans (which also happens to indirectly funnel them to other games, so be glad - new game may mean more people play into Melee) and airdodging is less safe while still making juggling harder than "Well they have no real options so I just have to stay underneath them and poke them back upwards, if they do airdoddge a fast-fall L-cancel and uair again will do the trick [or just read the only airdodge they get in the first place".

I also think edgeguarding is becoming more balanced to favor the attacker, but not doom the recovering player like it often does in Melee (they have to do a lot more work to cover all your options - it's not just a matter of them screwing up). The more protected recoveries are not foolproof (gimp Marth by removing his jump, more or less), and the longer-range recoveries lack hitboxes (poke villager's balloons and watch him fall and die, or just keep hitting him away forever like one does with Peach), while there are still those with strong recoveries by design (Puff, MK, some others I think but I'd have to go and look more closely).

By all means, be disappointed with Smash 4 - but there's a thread for that, which is not the one you're in, but this one: http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb3d-disappointments-thread.367870/page-15#post-17639181

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I'd like to make a neutral addendum, not in the defense of Smash 4 or anything in particular, but......

When I read on that article by Praxis about comeback mechanics and how that makes a game not competitive, I turned my head and looked at Ultra Street Fighter 4 with Ultras and....even bigger, Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I mean....I don't think that statement's the exact correct way of putting it, ya know? I mean he did mention MVC3 but, it's kind of a...blanketed statement beforehand.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
You got spoiled by Melee, that's for darn sure.

But what you want is clearly not what everyone wants (See various posts on discussions of L-cancelling, CCing, and other stuff)), but Sakurai never went insane, he just managed to get a better handle on understanding how to make the game accessible to everyone, without destroying the game as a competitive platform [and contrary to popular belief, there are several arguments, many of them grounded in simple definitions, that explain why Brawl was perfectly able to support competitive play, even if the form of play was different from Melee].

You can by all means keep playing Melee, but you don't need to fill this thread with your whining (that also has a completely lack of any arguments for why you feel how you do, besides the implicit "It's not Melee").

And for what it's worth, I think several important indicators suggest the franchise is improving - characters seem more balanced [heck even in Brawl more of the cast was viable, MK cast a shadow over those characters but remove him and the problem is almost completely gone, as every other character then has a counter, unlike in Melee where you need to axe Fox, Falco, and Puff to remove characters who have no losing MUs (or gain no losing MUs when a character is removed)], toxic infinites are finally removed for good [Robin ZSS excepted, which I'v getting patched...] (there were at least two I can think of in Melee that applied to large portions of the cast, and in Brawl there were tons of jab locks, etc.), the cast is expanding, the game is drawing in new fans (which also happens to indirectly funnel them to other games, so be glad - new game may mean more people play into Melee) and airdodging is less safe while still making juggling harder than "Well they have no real options so I just have to stay underneath them and poke them back upwards, if they do airdoddge a fast-fall L-cancel and uair again will do the trick [or just read the only airdodge they get in the first place".

I also think edgeguarding is becoming more balanced to favor the attacker, but not doom the recovering player like it often does in Melee (they have to do a lot more work to cover all your options - it's not just a matter of them screwing up). The more protected recoveries are not foolproof (gimp Marth by removing his jump, more or less), and the longer-range recoveries lack hitboxes (poke villager's balloons and watch him fall and die, or just keep hitting him away forever like one does with Peach), while there are still those with strong recoveries by design (Puff, MK, some others I think but I'd have to go and look more closely).

By all means, be disappointed with Smash 4 - but there's a thread for that, which is not the one you're in, but this one: http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb3d-disappointments-thread.367870/page-15#post-17639181
See, unlike many others... i dont want to cerate a war on this. And while i appreciate all your speech about why the game is going in the right direction, i think the answer is way simpler than all this.

Listen , i dont want this game to be a fail, i even bought a used wiiU to try the game, but what i want you to remember and understand...is that...as flawed as melee was in a lot of points... the game control felt incrdibly good and gace a lot of options to the player. That, in short... is what makes melee so damn popular and lasting... because its core gameplay was almost perfect.

Time will tell, and we will know for sure how this game will be in around a year. In a year we will get a good idea of where it will go.

If the game is not what it needs to be... it will just lose interest from the competitive scene ,like brawl,.

If that happens,, and by the year and a half of being launched.. no one cares about it... then we all know what hapened.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Keep in mind that rage mechanic does nothing to help out players who are behind in stock and mostly rewards either characters who are designed to be able to take a hit or players able to survive to higher %s than they should. It penalizes players who camp with damage racking projectiles and don't take risks to get kills. What this "rubber-band effect" usually means in practice is that Bowser has the ability to win while taking twice as much damage as his opponent, which really just balances out Bowser's weakness to comboes and projectiles. It gives the same advantage to players with a stock lead as it does to players with a stock deficit. I'm not saying I think it's the best way to go about balancing heavies, but it's really only a small rubber-band mechanic, and even that can be debated, since the goal of Smash is to get kills rather than build %, and players who are behind where it really counts receive absolutely no benefit.
Another thing that needs to be pointed out is the fact that if you're actually following TourneyLocator matches and the like, the game actually is getting faster as people learn what they can and can't do, so people who have already come to a conclusion about the game's speed are simply ignoring what's currently going on with Smash 4 and are still stuck fighting the forum wars of the past. There's also no way moving to the Wii U doesn't improve offense and speed the game up, as the addition of the C-stick makes it significantly easier to precisely space and fastfall aerials, both of which are important for pressuring shields safely and approaching effectively. Also remember that fastfalls are significantly faster than normal fall speed, so this in particular will speed things up and help rushdown characters.
One more thing is just how amazing so many of the new characters are in terms of design and how excited I am because of them. For example, Mega Man is a character I was hyped for when he was announced, but was disappointed after trying him out in the demo because I felt he was underpowered compared to the rest of the cast, at least until I saw iGGY abusing Rush Coil and Metal Blade to attack camping characters from a diagonal angle, and it was very effective because most characters don't have any real answer to being attacked from that kind of angle. The match was super campy but still very entertaining because it had plenty of player interaction and movement. It was so fundamentally different compared to anything I've ever seen in a Smash game before, and there are plenty more newcomers who are every bit as game-changing. Throw custom moves into the mix and you've really got something completely new and fresh and mind-blowing. People need to stop worrying over every little thing and trying to come to any sort of grand sweeping conclusion about this game when we've only scratched the surface and just try to appreciate what it is.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm very supportive of the new game, but it kinda sucks to see so many people hating on Melee nowadays.
I mean, yeah, it may be because we were used to it, but I can't really recall anyone being upset that they "had" to learn anything in Melee or complaining about it being too fast.
Back when I started, I picked Fox, but most of my deaths were SDs because I couldn't control him, so I opted to play Falco.
Now, I play both and many more, but it seems like people are funneling down these games to a narrow situation that's easy to insult, and I think it's stupid.
The thing that kills these kinds of threads isn't walls of texts or differing opinions, but a lack of open-mindedness and willing to accept that there might be more to a game than you know or care to acknowledge.

Brawl may have been a "campfest", but most of the fun I've had were Wario dittos and, actually, fighting other Metaknight mains.
There was much more to the game than a lot of people give it credit for, but I certainly will acknowledge its faults, mainly in overall momentum catching the shaft as well as aggressive play being more or less lost because of no way to cancel landing lag, lack of hitstun, and resulting pokes being more essential in high-level neutral game if only for their zoning purpose (or hit confirm in Metaknight's case).

It seems like the drive to practice and improve as well as the accompanying joy of overcoming has been lost to increasingly simpler systems that rather dumb down different aspects of a game -- that's what I find largely upsetting.
Largely pessimistic and "I don't feel like doing this or seeing this, so I hate it" attitudes run rampant and most attempts at reasoning wind up as wasted time.
What happened?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Praxis' pretty much nailed things in that article. This game will probably have a lasting competitive scene since it appears to lack the vast majority of Brawl's serious issues.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
It can be very hard to enjoy a game with a five-character common pro roster and dark visuals, no matter how fast it may play. And even Melee boils down to a spacefurry spamming lasers until the enemy is forced to approach half the time. At least Smash4's edgegame is fun to watch.
Plus its competitive matches just look like cars sliding around aimlessly until someone gets edgehogged, as Zol said.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
See, unlike many others... i dont want to cerate a war on this. And while i appreciate all your speech about why the game is going in the right direction, i think the answer is way simpler than all this.

Listen , i dont want this game to be a fail, i even bought a used wiiU to try the game, but what i want you to remember and understand...is that...as flawed as melee was in a lot of points... the game control felt incrdibly good and gace a lot of options to the player. That, in short... is what makes melee so damn popular and lasting... because its core gameplay was almost perfect.

Time will tell, and we will know for sure how this game will be in around a year. In a year we will get a good idea of where it will go.

If the game is not what it needs to be... it will just lose interest from the competitive scene ,like brawl,.

If that happens,, and by the year and a half of being launched.. no one cares about it... then we all know what hapened.
What you just said completely contradicted your other post -_-.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I dont want this game to be a fail...

But i keep my stance that sakurai is a stubborn man who crapped on the melee fanbase, and is sad that we lost almost all what made melee the game it was.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm very supportive of the new game, but it kinda sucks to see so many people hating on Melee nowadays.
I mean, yeah, it may be because we were used to it, but I can't really recall anyone being upset that they "had" to learn anything in Melee or complaining about it being too fast.
I definitely remember. I don't remember exactly, but...

Letsee, this was probably just after Brawl's reveal. I remember arguments on multiple sites discussing wether or not Wavedashing and the like would stick around. On the anti-Wavedashing side, people argued that it should be fixed because it was a glitch and that it was basically required to compete. (People compared it to Snaking in MKDS?) On the pro-Wavedashing side, people claimed that it was a good mechanic and it should stay. It was basically "play the way you're supposed to play" vs "play the way we want to play." Naturally, tensions rose as Brawl's release grew closer, and that Wavedashing, L-canceling, and the like, were confirmed to not be in whatsoever.

Before Brawl's announcement, the argument wasn't really prevalent because pro-Wavedashing and anti-Wavedashing people would rarely meet. It was definitely there, though. The divide goes way back to Wavedashing's discovery and first widespread use.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
It seems like the drive to practice and improve as well as the accompanying joy of overcoming has been lost to increasingly simpler systems that rather dumb down different aspects of a game -- that's what I find largely upsetting.
Largely pessimistic and "I don't feel like doing this or seeing this, so I hate it" attitudes run rampant and most attempts at reasoning wind up as wasted time.
What happened?
I don't know man. It seems that the simpler a game gets(in its mechanical and design structure) the WORSE it does here. Of course, we have a lot of Brawl's biggest issues corrected so the potential for a better, livelier scene is always there.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Guys I understand you want to support smash 4 but bashing melee is not the way to do it. Honestly your coming off far worse then the people you're talking about espically when your complaints of melee show you don't even watch it. All kills by ledgehogging? Just fox/falco?

Like come on guys be better then that.

Senario

Smash Ace
Plus its competitive matches just look like cars sliding around aimlessly until someone gets edgehogged, as Zol said.
Again, way too simple. What if I said brawl was just waiting around until the first person makes a mistake then you hit them. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until timer runs out or game ends. Way too simple of an analysis.

Waaaaaay too simple to describe what goes on in melee. And I cant believe people still think that is all melee amounts to. Sliding and edgehogging. Terrible terrible lack of understanding.

That kind of talk makes me not care about smash 4 because of its community.

Last edited:
Top Bottom