• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will people finally give current smash competitive attention?

RJfox

Smash Rookie
So I've been watching footage of smash 4, played the 3ds demo and wii u demos and man does this game feel faster that brawl. Definitely. No tripping is amazing, and i'm really excited they are giving us gamecube controller support. It's been over a decade and I really think people should start taking current smash more seriously and give melee alittle break. Seems like that's what Nintendo wants and despite the removal of a few melee features it doesn't feel stiff at all like brawl. Do you guys expect the new smash to have a thriving competitive scene? Maybe not as big as melee, but way bigger than original brawl?

I enjoy watching the best of the best compete, but with melee being what everyone focuses on it's getting alittle old after so many years. I'd love to see these players branch out

Zol

Smash Apprentice
melee looks like nothing except characters sliding around like ****ing drift cars until someone eventually gets edgehogged

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Do you guys expect the new smash to have a thriving competitive scene? Maybe not as big as melee, but way bigger than original brawl?
Brawl had a thriving competitive scene for quite a few years, initially dwarfing Melee and causing massive growth in the entire scene. There's no reason to suspect that Smash 4 won't have at least that level of impact.

Raijinken

Smash Master
We've already got tournaments, and best I can tell, players already love the new mechanics. I expect (and hope) Smash4 ousts Melee as the primary tournament Smash (not do bash Melee, I just want some thing fresh to watch besides Fox and Falco).

Renji64

Smash Lord
Why should anyone take a break from melee when people don't even die in this game and there are barely and combos? This game is turning right back into brawl campy slow matches.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Why should anyone take a break from melee when people don't even die in this game and there are barely and combos? This game is turning right back into brawl campy slow matches.
Watch TourneyLocator's tournaments. This game is nothing like Brawl.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I think this game will be more fun to watch competitively.

I love Melee but it's boring to watch people get edgehogged at 20% a bunch of times. Not hype at all sorry.

I love Brawl but TRIPPING

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is likely just me, but I find Smash isn't fun to watch competitively for ANY of its games.
You're not alone. I always find it more fun to play a game than it is to watch people to play games, especially if said game isn't out yet.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm hoping it will have a thriving competitive scene, but I'm taking a healthy overdose of skepticism, because you know this fandom.

Especially now that it's split into three warring factions now instead of just two.

So yeah, I think the scene's gonna go entirely back to the tried and true one again in, like, two years tops. I'm hoping it doesn't go down this way, but I'm just being realistic.

I mean, as much as I don't want to believe it...
[P]eople don't even die in this game and there are barely and combos? This game is turning right back into brawl campy slow matches.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I find Melee to be the most boring to watch personally.
It can be very hard to enjoy a game with a five-character common pro roster and dark visuals, no matter how fast it may play. And even Melee boils down to a spacefurry spamming lasers until the enemy is forced to approach half the time. At least Smash4's edgegame is fun to watch.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I watched last night it put me to sleep with that campy rob and some other characters.
Ironic. Your avatar is little mac and not only was that the character that made the most waves in that tournament, he's part of a game that you think is bad enough to bash.

This is likely just me, but I find Smash isn't fun to watch competitively for ANY of its games.
Wat. Then why are you here at all?

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Ironic. Your avatar is little mac and not only was that the character that made the most waves in that tournament, he's part of a game that you think is bad enough to bash.
When did a bash the game? There wasn't much combos during the TLOC stream and none that actually kill. I'm giving the game a chance but it seems just like brawls play alot of standing around/camping. The commentators even said the matches were very brawl like.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
When did a bash the game? There wasn't much combos during the TLOC stream and none that actually kill. I'm giving the game a chance but it seems just like brawls play alot of standing around/camping.
Well no dip sherlock! The game hasn't even been out long. They haven't scratched the surface of TC'ing, Vectoring, Raging, and Stale Moves. They don't know what combos will work at certain percentages. Also, Smash 4 has amazing offstage play. Also, what's wrong with actually thinking before you act instead of running around spamming aerials like an idiot?

Renji64

Smash Lord
Well no dip sherlock! The game hasn't even been out long. They haven't scratched the surface of TC'ing, Vectoring, Raging, and Stale Moves. They don't know what combos will work at certain percentages. Also, Smash 4 has amazing offstage play. Also, what's wrong with actually thinking before you act instead of running around spamming aerials like an idiot?
Smash 4 has offstage play only because of the buffed recoveries and ledge snap it is free as hell to come back to the stage. I don't enjoy watching camping or people stand around sorry.

Raijinken

Smash Master
When did a bash the game? There wasn't much combos during the TLOC stream and none that actually kill. I'm giving the game a chance but it seems just like brawls play alot of standing around/camping. The commentators even said the matches were very brawl like.
Sheik had more than enough kill combos, and all of her moves could combo off of her throws regardless of percent. As the casters pointed out, you finally have to think a bit instead of throwing a kill move in at the end of every combo. That sort of play (playing like Melee) is exactly what makes the game take forever. If they're surviving one strategy, the obvious solution is to change strategies.

Smash 4 has offstage play only because of the buffed recoveries and ledge snap it is free as hell to come back to the stage. I don't enjoy watching camping or people stand around sorry.
Must hate watching Falco and Fox on Melee, then.

Seriously, the camping roster in Smash4 is a tiny slice of the roster.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna find a way to play aggressively*.
Pretty sure you won't have to look very hard, though being blind might get in the way.

I would check out TLOC GF if you're serious about that.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Sheik had more than enough kill combos, and all of her moves could combo off of her throws regardless of percent. As the casters pointed out, you finally have to think a bit instead of throwing a kill move in at the end of every combo. That sort of play (playing like Melee) is exactly what makes the game take forever. If they're surviving one strategy, the obvious solution is to change strategies.

Must hate watching Falco and Fox on Melee, then.

Seriously, the camping roster in Smash4 is a tiny slice of the roster.
I hate camping in all games. The game will get slower as time goes on this is for sure.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Just because i'm not some sakurai d-sucker doesn't mean i'm not giving it a chance. I'm just gonna find a way to play agressively even if this game ends up just like brawl with a defensive meta.
Ummmm. WOW GUYS THIZ GAME IS ZOOO DEFENSIVE. THERE ARE NO COMBOS

Raijinken

Smash Master
I hate camping in all games. The game will get slower as time goes on this is for sure.
It's an unfortunate property of the fighting genre that, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but unless there is an obviously overpowered character who is unable to camp, the metagame will almost inevitably turn into camping and chip damage, because it is virtually always less punishable than aggression.

Nobody dies from combos vs any actual players.
Unless that player is Sheik or ZSS. Y'know. Popular picks right now.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Nobody dies from combos vs any actual players.
Players are getting used to the engine. Do you seriously expect people being able to combo every single character in a week? Besides, what's wrong with combos racking damage and then actually having to think and read to KO someone?

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Warning Received
VGBC was getting zero to deaths on each other day 2.

I hate all fighting games too man, especially smash.
Post proof I didn't see anything where people died from a combo at all.
I don't hate fighting games :/ I just hate boring defensive play i like to find a way to beat rather than try to camp or play like a coward :/ But that is just me.

Players are getting used to the engine. Do you seriously expect people being able to combo every single character in a week? Besides, what's wrong with combos racking damage and then actually having to think and read to KO someone?
If you can't kill with a combo it is almost like there really aren't in at all the finishing blow after racking up damage is what makes them fun and satisfying. I'm not expecting people to know the game in less than a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Yes because this game doesn't suck so much that people modded the games in order to enjoy it.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Post proof I didn't see anything where people died from a combo at all.
I don't hate fighting games :/ I just hate boring defensive play i like to find a way to beat rather than try to camp or play like a coward :/ But that is just me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksMduEXItBU

I've seen shiek, zss, DDD, and pacman all get zero to deaths.

If you hate camping to win you would hate the military, but i'm sure running in all the time is a successful strat for everyone in a fight. Fun fact: little mac's strong suit is his defensive heavy counter play. :3

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
I sure hope so.

Getting tired of seeing the same endings to Melee tournaments every time. Top 5 place in top 5. Then Westballz and crew are placed wherever.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Just because i'm not some sakurai d-sucker doesn't mean i'm not giving it a chance. I'm just gonna find a way to play agressively even if this game ends up just like brawl with a defensive meta.
GOOD! This game rewards that. Just find a way to make reads and the defensive front your opponent puts up will crumble, if the airdodge nerf is anything to go by. VI rewards good reads because VI only gives people the option to escape a combo and get put...well, in the air. Where they don't want to be on the defensive. This game is all about offensive reads if you wanna run an offensive set.

My basic formula for success going forward is "Low % combo into a SICK NASTY offensive read, push enemy offstage, edgeguard"

If you want other advice, since you're using Doc if your sig is anything to go by, reduce the amount of Utilts after a D-Throw(if his D-Throw is like Mario's), to like, maybe 2 instead of 3, and then UAir earlier for lower KB.

Just go with your instincts. Don't let the dominant meta hold you back, reshape it. The biggest waves in any scene are by those who break the mold.

Last edited:

Qikz

Smash Cadet
If Nintendo does what it seems they are doing and is going to put money towards tournaments then there's no way in hell this game won't take off. Even Starcraft 2 was fleeting until Blizzard money came along and don't even get me started on Dota 2 and LoL. Competitive players for the most part, especially at the top are in it for the fame and money. Enjoyment of the game may be part of that, but if a game has a large prize pool and someone is trying to make their money from playing then they'll sure as hell go in for that.

I'm just happy that I've got to watch Zero this past week while playing the game myself and seeing him enjoy playing the game as much as I do.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Also we're not gonna have any arguments about the music, the OST for this game is legit amazing and we haven't even gotten to the WiiU version yet.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I personally believe that there will be a thriving competitive community. Brawl started off strong but of course the many flaws of the game caused people to leave the scene. The reason this game may appeal more and have a longer life span is due to the vast amount of characters being overall viable. It isn't just Meta Knight only like in Brawl or Fox Only Final Destination in Melee. The game has so much to offer and we haven't even scraped the surface. Sakurai and Bandai Namco tried their best to address some of the primary issues plaguing brawl.

-Chain grabs have been removed. Good.
-Ledge Stalling/Camping. New ledge mechanic to combat that. Now players will have to take more rises off stage which can help with making the matches faster. Due to players being unfamiliar with this new mechanic most players who have the game are just sitting there waiting for their opponent to recover.
-Random Tripping was a dumb idea. Removed. Though some moves still cause the opponent to trip that's way different than trying to dash and falling over idiotically. Also Diddy's Banana only causes you to trip once. So there is that.
-Overall character balances. The cast looks solid from what videos and streams are available. You can even take the demo characters as an example. The five characters all feel great.

Smash 4 is already talked about to be at Apex 2015, of course that's only if Nintendo keeps to its word of releasing the game before the end of the year. Apex is one of the biggest tournaments to start the year off strong. I know that many players (melee veterans, brawl players, pm buffs, and casuals alike) in NorCal are interested in playing the game competitively which is saying something. Will Nintendo continue to support the Smash community? I believe they will since they know this is one of their biggest games by far.

TL:DR Smash 4 will have a very healthy competitive community thanks to many factors.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
The game isn't even out in all countries. How can you expect the meta to compare to a game that has been out for over a decade?

Top Bottom