• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Otori Warrior

Smash Cadet
just want to say Halo 3 had alot hype but didn't even sell that many copies compared to some games
Overall, no has not sold as many as some games. However it did set a new record for 1 day sales with an estimated 170 million. To me that is almost more impressive because you marketed the game so well that you got that many people to go out and buy the game on launch day.

saif442050

Smash Apprentice
i think brawl will sell a lot even more than halo 3 in the long run, BUT not in the first week. That's because of the lack of advertisement brawl has compared to halo 3 ( i remember seing avertisement a month and a half ago). Another factor is the lack of organization i have been seeing; many reltailers are confused about the release date, many stores i dont think are even going to have a midnight launch party, etc.

Also most of he people that have a wii are new gamers, who have no idea what smash brothers is. Nintendo is only revealing information to the people who do know what it is (the people who would buy it regardless). They should be advertising to the new casual gamers (who are also older and have more money to spend). Comparing this to the 360, most 360 owners are core gamers who know what is happening in the gaming world. They were more aware of halo 3 and therefore more likely to buy it.

Nintendo sells consoles but not software unlike the 360. that because of the new target market is happy with their minigames and wii sports. Unlike microsoft who does advertise and sells the more software than the other companies. People know about the wii, but not about its software.

Overall i think casual gamers will get this game as they find out how good itis and why its worth buying, by word of mouth. The will buy it, but not on the release day like most core gamers. Eventually it will outsell halo 3, but slowly in the long run.

In the end who cares they are both great games and deserve to be bought!!

saif442050

Smash Apprentice
Overall, no has not sold as many as some games. However it did set a new record for 1 day sales with an estimated 170 million. To me that is almost more impressive because you marketed the game so well that you got that many people to go out and buy the game on launch day.
you mean 170million dollars right because as of now about 7-8 million coppies have been sold. no game has sold 170million copies. and they made 300million revenue on day one.

king_neeso

Smash Apprentice
nintendo fanboys all say no way halo 3 is ****. will never sell more than brawl

xbox fanboys no way brawl is ****. will never sell more than halo 3

honestly WHO GIVES A FLYING DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

they are both good games. xbox ppl will buy halo. Wii ppl will buy brawl. thats that. i myself like both wii and 360. i am going to play both of them. who cares. they are games. if one outsells the other so be it. i will still play ssbb and halo 3

KrystalRules

Smash Lord

they are both good games. xbox ppl will buy halo. Wii ppl will buy brawl. thats that. i myself like both wii and 360. i am going to play both of them. who cares. they are games. if one outsells the other so be it. i will still play ssbb and halo 3
flying duck? lol but really i love both games!!!

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
they're both popular and shouldnt be competing, end of story.....and king_neeso is right, x-box players love halo just like Wii people love ssb

Jamal

Smash Cadet
Why compare them beacuse the truth is that any hardcore FPS cannot be played on a console. Also H3 is a sorry excuse for one for many reasons .

H3 - People who are horrible at real FPS's on the PC and cannot compete with real "pro" gamers so they have to resort playing it on the console with all the thirteen year olds on XBL

Smash - A very good fighting game series that acuttaly pars up with the Street-Fighter and Soul Cailber.

Plus H3 had alot more advertisement then Brawl is going too.

zurf23

Smash Apprentice
What a stupid topic. Why would this matter. We get OUR game an we'll play it. Why does it matter how many copies are sold? I mean, I think we all can agree Sakurai deserves to live like a King for the smash and kirby series, but c'mon. If you REALLY want an answer from me. I think Brawl will. Worldwide. Bungie over speculated sales; There are still launch copies left over of both the Legendary and regular launch copies at my few gamestops! You can tell its a launch if it has an orange sticker at the top that says "Do not sell until September 25th." That is, if you wanna go THAT far. I know this because I like Halo a lot as well, but nothing beats Brawl. :chuckle:

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure Halo has a bigger fan-base, and the initial sales definitely proved that. Brawl's launch sales won't even touch Halo 3's launch, but it might catch up to it eventually. Super Mario Galaxy's been on the top sales charts for a while. People keep on buying it, although launch wasn't too good. The same could happen for SSBB.

MonkeyKHI

Smash Rookie
Also, this has little to do with console wars. Someone was equating saying that Halo 3 was better means your a 360 fan and saying SSB is better means your a Wii fan. I love my 360 but I think Halo 3 is crap. Anyone who plays enough games knows Halo 3 is a waste of time (although I commend the large amount of features it has). Anyway, in the long run, I think it is evident SSBB will win out. In the short run, nowhere near.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
yes it set a record for money but not sales like the units sold

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
There's an awful lot of H3 hate on this forum. It always amazes me.

Halo 3 is a fun game. It set a lot of gaming standards, particularly in multiplayer. Whether you like it or not, it set some high bars for future shooters, especially console shooters.

I've played many shooters. I used to play counterstrike religiously. It's true, it's incomparable to H3... but not because it's far superior. Simply because it's different.

And one final note--there has yet to be a game whose online ranking/matchmaking system comes close to Halo's. And I can tell you now--brawl isn't going to cut it close.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Does it matter? Will Brawl outselling Halo 3 give you some smug sense of satisfaction that you so desperate require?

I mean sure, I'd like to see Brawl outsell Halo 3 as well, but it's realistically not going to happen. And if it didn't, is it really that big a deal? Jeez guys.

Papapaint

Does it matter? Will Brawl outselling Halo 3 give you some smug sense of satisfaction that you so desperate require?

I mean sure, I'd like to see Brawl outsell Halo 3 as well, but it's realistically not going to happen. And if it didn't, is it really that big a deal? Jeez guys.
These posts are probably the most irritating.

The question is not "Does it matter if Halo 3 outsells Brawl?" It's "Will Brawl outsell Halo 3?"

We're not debating whether or not it matters. Doing that in this thread has as much validity as posting your opinion on giraffes.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
You're obviously not debating whether or not it matters. That's why I brought it up. Because...does it?

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
You don't have to get offended, nor get defensive. Jeez, lighten up. This whole topic is really wound up about Halo 3 vs. Brawl.

Otori Warrior

Smash Cadet

Because the gaming industry is first and foremost a business, I would say that yes, it does matter how Brawl stacks up against its competitors (i.e. system selling games such as Halo 3). Arguably, there are better comparisons but Halo 3 is one of the most visible games of this generation. Many people, myself included hope that Brawl has similar success.

For us to continue to receive extremely well thought out and well made games it must make a lot of money. Wii has yet to have a game that is flying off shelves. It very much needs one if third party developers are to bring other quality games to the console.

Selling on par or better than Halo seems to be a good benchmark for a high quality franchise such as Super Smash Bros.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that Brawl will sell as much as something like Halo 3. Halo is a shooter genre, and Brawl is an action genre. Many people tend to like shooters better than other genres of video games.

But... who knows? I'm doubtful, but Brawl might raise up above Halo 3 someday. The console that it is on hurts it, though. Not many people who don't have a Wii and aren't a fan of smash are going to go out of their way to find Brawl and its console.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

Not exactly. When I was playing Gears of War online EVERYONE would just go on like "OMG HALO 3 IN 9 MONTHS!!!" I would be like, "No, what I can't wait for is Brawl" and the're all like "Yea, Melee was good" or had positive responses to Smash.

Also, debating on which game will be BETTER has nothing to do with the topic at hand. We're tlaking about sales here. Yes, of course we all think Brawl will be better than Halo 3.

As I stated a long time ago, Halo 3 will outsell Brawl. In a few years, I think Brawl will outsell Halo 3.

For the record, I don't like Halo games at all and if you want, I'll pot my gamercard which shows I've neevr even played Halo 3. But I just hate how some of the fanboys are on this forums. I'm mostly a Nintendo fanboy, with a tiny bit of MS thrown in, but Nintendo fanboys are just the worst when it comes to debatining anyhting between the systems or their games.

fromia

Smash Cadet
Release dates: Japan - US
Wii-December 2, 2006-November 19, 2006
Xbox 360 -December 10, 2005 - November 22, 2005
Game Cube -September 14, 2001 - November 18, 2001
Halo 3 - September 25, 2007 - September 27, 2007
Super Smash Bros. Melee - November 21, 2001 - December 3, 2001

Console sold: until December 30, 2007
Japan - US - Total
Wii - 4,662,743 - 8,483,433 - 19,452,680
Xbox 360 - 543,141 10,341,100 - 16,020,441
Gamecube - 4,024,279 - 12,738,489 - 21,512,389

Game sold: - Japan - US - Total
Halo 3 - 94,616 - 1,707,454 - 4,622,646
Melee - 1,375,165 - 4,050,000 - 6,505,165
Halo 2 - 53,899 - 5,873,810 - 8,452,022

I checked those from vgchartz.com so I don't know if we could trust those numbers. As for Brawl... I think it will be balanced just like Melee. Halo 2/3 didn't sell that well in Japan compared to other regions. Just like many has said, Halo 3 was hyped so it sold pretty fast at the beginning. Brawl may outsell it at the end, hopefully.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Why do people worry about the Japan sales the most? Don't most of us live in North America? Yes, I know that Japan saes amtter in totals, but what about Europe or NA?

fromia

Smash Cadet
Why do people worry about the Japan sales the most? Don't most of us live in North America? Yes, I know that Japan saes amtter in totals, but what about Europe or NA?
This game is produced by a japanese company, and it comes out in Japan first. People there will make first impressions after they buy the game.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
This game is produced by a japanese company, and it comes out in Japan first. People there will make first impressions after they buy the game.
Yea, but is there n actual NA gamer that says, "Oh the Japanese don't like this game, so I won't buy it"?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
sorry if this has been said but here's why brawl will eventually out sell halo 3.

Halo 3 was the most anticipated game, probably ever. Now, along with the anticipation, Bungie and Microsoft went through great lengths to hype up the fans. Advertisement, toys, clothing, the works. Then the game came out, and suddenly, no ones too happy with it. I'm thinking this is because of soo much anticipation for the greatest game ever, and it got everyones hope up sooo high, which is why its flaws were taken so seriously. As good as I am in it, I find no fun playing it what-so-ever. Now when I think of Brawl, there is very little given away. No commercials, (in fact, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't there only one for any game in the series?) no toys, no game-specific clothing, and all they do is give a little bit about the game away, one little fact, day by day.

Now when this game comes out, because you didn't really know what to hope for, the games going to be overwhelming. The games gunna keep coming up with more and more to crave, and because Wii is Nintendo's first console to support online play, all the smash bro players from every generation are gunna love this.

And isn't Nintendo more worldwide then Microsoft anyways?

Papapaint

Halo 3 was the most anticipated game, probably ever. Now, along with the anticipation, Bungie and Microsoft went through great lengths to hype up the fans. Advertisement, toys, clothing, the works. Then the game came out, and suddenly, no ones too happy with it. I'm thinking this is because of soo much anticipation for the greatest game ever, and it got everyones hope up sooo high, which is why its flaws were taken so seriously. As good as I am in it, I find no fun playing it what-so-ever.
Yeah. If I were to describe the attitudes of the 1,000,000 unique players of halo 3 online in the past 24 hours, it would be "disappointed".

News review sites were "disappointed." A vocal minority was "disappointed." However, the game is still selling rapidly, and many, many people are happy with it. A solid majority. Sure, everyone has their gripes with it. But everyone will have their gripes with smash, as with any game.

Genesai

Smash Apprentice
sorry if this has been said but here's why brawl will eventually out sell halo 3.

Halo 3 was the most anticipated game, probably ever. Now, along with the anticipation, Bungie and Microsoft went through great lengths to hype up the fans. Advertisement, toys, clothing, the works. Then the game came out, and suddenly, no ones too happy with it. I'm thinking this is because of soo much anticipation for the greatest game ever, and it got everyones hope up sooo high, which is why its flaws were taken so seriously. As good as I am in it, I find no fun playing it what-so-ever. Now when I think of Brawl, there is very little given away. No commercials, (in fact, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't there only one for any game in the series?) no toys, no game-specific clothing, and all they do is give a little bit about the game away, one little fact, day by day.

Now when this game comes out, because you didn't really know what to hope for, the games going to be overwhelming. The games gunna keep coming up with more and more to crave, and because Wii is Nintendo's first console to support online play, all the smash bro players from every generation are gunna love this.

And isn't Nintendo more worldwide then Microsoft anyways?
Well said.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. Brawl is a game that appeals mostly to Nintendo fanboys, while Halo appeals to mostlyeveryone XD I never played Halo until my brother got a Xbox 360 last November and WHOA O_O I never knew how AWESOME Halo is XDD I got addicted.

Arbiter for Brawl :D

But, I don't think Halo was even relased in Japan. Brawl is way more worldwide than Halo. So it depends XD I dont care either way, both games PWN :D Now all I need is a Star Fox Wii...

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Maybe not in the first day of hype, but I think that overtime Brawl will outsell Halo 3.

Top Bottom