• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii u version release date unmasked.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Nov. 21st makes sense, it being a week before Black Friday = $$$$$$$$ for Nintendo

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not even sure why they are holding off for the 3DS release worldwide. I don't get the strategy there. But that appears to be what they are doing.
The have to localize the games.

Every bit of text in the game has to be translated from Japanese into every other official language of the countries they are exporting the game to. That's a whole lot of text being translated into a bunch of different languages.

And then everything has to be proof read so there's no errors.

Oh, and also all the images in the game that contain text have to be photoshopped or whatever to have the correct translations as well.

And also, voices may need to be translated and voiced-over in a bunch of different languages.

And not just don't fast and dirty. They have to be done well. There can't be junky translations or voice acting either. Everything needs to be spot on.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman

Every bit of text in the game has to be translated from Japanese into every other official language of the countries they are exporting the game to. That's a whole lot of text being translated into a bunch of different languages.

Oh, and also all the images in the game that contain text have to be photoshopped or whatever to have the correct translations as well.

And also, voices may need to be translated and voiced-over in a bunch of different languages.

And not just don't fast and dirty. They have to be done well. There can't be junky translations or voice acting either. Everything needs to be spot on.
I get that, but what I was referring to was holding off on announcing a release date for the Wii U version. I think they have to know when that will release by now, but they are holding off on it for some reason until the 3DS version releases worldwide. I don't get the strategy there. It'd be better I think to let us know before it releases so people getting it in stores can pre-order the Wii U version with a definite release date.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474

It's more about the japanese being anal about spoilers and wanting everything first. They're still mad we spoiled Pokémon X/Y before them because of the worldwide release. You guys need to remember that they're very pretentious towards foreigners.

The translation is obviously done, or we'd have to wait longer than that. Besides, the demo is fully translated, voices and all.

I get that, but what I was referring to was holding off on announcing a release date for the Wii U version. I think they have to know when that will release by now, but they are holding off on it for some reason until the 3DS version releases worldwide. I don't get the strategy there. It'd be better I think to let us know before it releases so people getting it in stores can pre-order the Wii U version with a definite release date.
If people know the Wii U version releases in a month or two they're more likely to skip the 3DS version.

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
[Again made a mistake while editing sorry]

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Nov 21st seems likely (if the game is just a HD version of the 3ds version with no added characters etc).

Otherwise I can smell a delay.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
November 21st is the day that Pokémon ORAS is scheduled to be released. I didn't think they would want to release both games on the same day.
They done it before. 3d World(Wii U) Link Between Worlds(3ds) and Mario Party(3ds) All released on the same day last year.

ORAS and Smash Wii U wont take away from each other sales. There on different systems.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Nov 21st seems likely (if the game is just a HD version of the 3ds version with no added characters etc).

Otherwise I can smell a delay.
Certainly nobody is stupid enough to genuinely think that.
I've had ONE guy argue with me that the Wii U version will have nothing bonus; but really.. noone with a brain can ACTUALLY think that... right?

It's like 40% more money, brah... it literally HAS to have more in it...

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
They done it before. 3d World(Wii U) Link Between Worlds(3ds) and Mario Party(3ds) All released on the same day last year.

ORAS and Smash Wii U wont take away from each other sales. There on different systems.
They just did it with Hyrule Warriors and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy as well in Europe, both coming out on September 19th.

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Certainly nobody is stupid enough to genuinely think that.
I've had ONE guy argue with me that the Wii U version will have nothing bonus; but really.. noone with a brain can ACTUALLY think that... right?

It's like 40% more money, brah... it literally HAS to have more in it...
This is what we all hope for but honestly, there's been upsets and disappointment for many people already, who's to say there's no more characters? There's no proof AGAINST it right now.

It's the people hope-clinging to the idea of unconfirmed DLC characters being tossed out in the next 2 months that are being stupid imo.

Last edited:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
This is what we all hope for but honestly, there's been upsets and disappointment for many people already, who's to say there's more characters? There's no proof AGAINST it right now.

It's the people hope-clinging to the idea of unconfirmed DLC characters being made tossed out in the next 2 months that are being stupid imo.
Yeah I think the people expecting to pick up their Wii version and unlock Ridley aren't stupid as much as they just want to believe.
But yeah, that a'int happenin' neither.

We've known for what? 2 years? that the roster will be the EXACT same, but other than that Nintendo would be throwing money in the waste if they didn't hook the Wii U up some fat extras.

Leave the 3DS'ers in the dust, wgaf.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I guess this pretty much confirms it. We've seen the date so many times already, and seeing it again here on a Nintendo webpage - I don't know what more evidence we need.

My only question is: What does this mean for the Japanese release date?

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I guess this pretty much confirms it. We've seen the date so many times already, and seeing it again here on a Nintendo webpage - I don't know what more evidence we need.

If he Japanese release date is 3 weeks earlier than the international date (as it was for the 3DS version), that means Smash Bros for Wii U will release on November 1 in Japan.

Because Sakurai has said he won't be showing any new info via PotD until the 3DS version releases overseas, that means there likely won't be any Wii U version news until October 4.

That gives less than a month to hype up the Wii U version....not nearly enough time in my view. And, as with the 3DS version, much of the hype for the Wii U international release will be gone by November 1 since people in Japan will have spoiled the game via streams, etc.

I've learned my lesson due to the hype-collapse that followed the ESRB leak and Japanese release of the 3DS version – I'm going to stay as spoiler-free as possible until the Wii U version comes out in the USA; I'll only watch official trailers and Directs.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
It's more about the japanese being anal about spoilers and wanting everything first. They're still mad we spoiled Pokémon X/Y before them because of the worldwide release. You guys need to remember that they're very pretentious towards foreigners.

The translation is obviously done, or we'd have to wait longer than that. Besides, the demo is fully translated, voices and all.

If people know the Wii U version releases in a month or two they're more likely to skip the 3DS version.
That doesn't make much sense since we already know it will release in a month or two, we just don't know exactly when.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
That doesn't make much sense since we already know it will release in a month or two, we just don't know exactly when.
We know it's scheduled for Winter, which could mean the end of November like early March.
Besides it can still be delayed.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
We know it's scheduled for Winter, which could mean the end of November like early March.
Besides it can still be delayed.
No it is Winter 2014. And that's not really a good strategy, to pretend like it will be delayed so you can sell someone a game that they don't really want. It'd be better to let people know before it releases internationally so that when they go into stores they can pre-order the game with a definite date in mind.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
No it is Winter 2014. And that's not really a good strategy, to pretend like it will be delayed so you can sell someone a game that they don't really want. It'd be better to let people know before it releases internationally so that when they go into stores they can pre-order the game with a definite date in mind.
Business men love to play on words and sneak in small delays. Winter 2014 doesn't mean anything more than "starting in 2014".
You could say this winter can be either 2014's or 2015's. As long as the date isn't set by day it'll change.

About sales, for the more impatient ones, not knowing when the version they wanted will be released can be enough to push them to buy the one they didn't plan to buy at first, but is available right now. It'll hurt the Wii U version sales a little though.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
So we finally know when the release is, eh? That's excellent...but how the heck am I gonna wait until November? :( I'm trying to save money for other games too, like Omega Ruby, so I really don't want to get both smash bros versions. And there's also DLC to worry about...Le sigh.

Morlock138

Smash Rookie
NNID
Morlock138
3DS FC
2105-8813-5014
They Have to release it before Black Friday if they want to make money.This is the Wii U's big holiday game. Can't have people blowing their money before they get a chance to buy Smash Or the whole system. One problem I see is that Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire come out the 21st. I know that is on a different system. But that might make Nintendo fans heads explode. I expect to hear of the Japanese date soon.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Not literally, that's what I'm saying. Most customers wouldn't notice a sneaky disappearance of the 2014.
Or you can say that this Winter technically started in 2014 and isn't over yet.

Maybe I'm not being clear, I'm trying to say that the biggest part of the market, the casual player, hardly pays mind to the approximative release date being a little off, and even then, it's easy to get around any complaint without officially stating a delay.

Last edited:

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
So, weird interesting thing happened to me today. I went to Fred Meyer to get groceries and figured, hey, let's find out if they're doing any midnight stuff for Smash 3DS. So, I go to the electronics section and talk to the guy working there, Siege, and ask him "Hey, would you guys happen to be doing preorders or a midnight release for Smash 3DS?" and he says "........goood question". :p So, he goes to get their master list of releases and promotions, checks the stand where they keep active preorder cards, goes to the back and shuffles through some boxes and comes back to tell me...

"So, we're definitely doing a midnight launch, but we don't have preorder cards out yet. We typically put those out about 4 weeks before release, and it doesn't come out until November 21st, so we still have some time before we'll put them out. But, we'll definitely be taking preorders!"

"... ... ...I was asking about Smash 3DS?"

"Oh... Oh. The 3DS version. Um... yeah... never mind. We're not doing preorders or a midnight launch for that. We'll just have it in stock on the 3rd."

So........ looks like my Fred Meyer not only can confirm the 11/21 date for Sm4sh WiiU, but they also already have the preorder cards in stock, just not out on the floor. If anyone wants to double check me and confirm this, my Fred Meyer's number is (206) 440-2400 and the guy working electronics right now is named Siege. :p

Atomic_Shaymin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1805-2353-7958
Nov. 21st would make sense.
With the Wii U still having trouble keeping up, they need to sell more systems. Having it come out any time other than the end of this year would shoot them in the foot, since Black Friday and Christmas are going to be the best times to actually sell systems. If they wait till after Christmas then they are going to have a big problem. This falls right into the beginning of the Holiday Hype, so it gives parents a chance to get a Wii U and the game for their kids.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Isnt this confrmed to be a mistake on NoF part? also the website still says Wintr 2014.... and also NoA never confermed anything
Of course they gonna say it's a "mistake" There not ready to reveal the date. Too much info is popping up at this point imo for this NOT to be the date.

There is no way they are gonna miss the holiday season this year when they know there is a goldmine waiting to made with these amiibos. Not to mention Sonic Boom was just confirmed to be PUSHED UP a week from it's original date which was Nov 21st. Obviously it knows Smash would cut into it sales. Not to mentio Nov 21st gets the game out before Black Friday WHICH IT NEEDS TO BE.

Nov 21st is the date guys.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Of course they gonna say it's a "mistake" There not ready to reveal the date. Too much info is popping up at this point imo for this NOT to be the date.

There is no way they are gonna miss the holiday season this year when they know there is a goldmine waiting to made with these amiibos. Not to mention Sonic Boom was just confirmed to be PUSHED UP a week from it's original date which was Nov 21st. Obviously it knows Smash would cut into it sales.

Nov 21st is the date guys.
But NoA never said anything..... why would you not wait for NoA to say something to acually conferm it

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
If by the release of smash 4 for 3DS in America they haven't said anything its safe for me to assume the game will be delayed.

I mean we are 2 MONTHS away from the release date if it was to be true. You just cant announce a game 1 month before it comes out even if its a HUGE blockbuster like smash.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
You all assume that the launch is the big push without understanding retail economics. There's a lack of information because they are trying to not cannibalize 3DS Smash's sales. Smash for 3DS originally was supposed to come out this summer, hence giving more of a buffer to protect its sales projections, but that delay happened. Therefore they're being quiet to maintain the consumer anticipation for the 3DS release so they take no hit on those sales.

They have to get it out before Black Friday because of Amiibo, which is the big marketing push for Nintendo - where they hope to rake in some serious cash, like every company in the world. The marketing push will begin in November around the release and push all the way through Christmas - holiday releases don't work like releases the rest of the year which are just at launch, they keep pushing and pushing all the way until December 25th. Us dorks are the only ones freaking out and checking the news every three seconds. Nintendo cannot afford a delay, and need to maintain the momentum Mariokart 8 has started - and just you wait and see, they'll pull every hand on deck, including more of Namco (who have a relatively empty release window) to maintain this release schedule.

In short, y'all cray.

Last edited:

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice

I don't think it's a 3 weeks gap like with the 3DS version.
I'd say it's a 1 week gap as usual for most Nintendo games. I would have said it is a world wide release, but Sakurai already confirmed it won't(or did he??). If we take Super Mario 3D World as an example it would be Japan: 20th; NA: 21st; EU: 28th. :)

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway

They don't translate the games into Chinese. They keep it in Japanese for Taiwan (and Hong Kong?).

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
They don't translate the games into Chinese. They keep it in Japanese for Taiwan (and Hong Kong?).
Haven't video game consoles been banned in China for years now? Not much point translating stuff that's illegal to sell in places. Maybe the population / number of hong kong gamers is too small to justify the expense of translation?

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Haven't video game consoles been banned in China for years now? Not much point translating stuff that's illegal to sell in places. Maybe the population / number of hong kong gamers is too small to justify the expense of translation?
Taiwan is independent from China.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
For moments I thought that November was a bad release date but its a good marketing strategy, even if the 3DS version was indeed delayed. October is Smash month and the first half of the month is going to be about selling copies (it's sure that the game will sell over a million in less than two days), the second half of October (September in Japan's case) will be taken by Bayonetta and the first of November is about saving money again for the two big things coming; The Hoenn remakes and Smash Wii U, and if this goes with Black Friday the sales are going to be HUGE and many people will buy the consoles too (boosting the Wii U units sold) and this leaves December open to sell the Amiibos (who doesn't want a Shulk figure for Christmas?) and GameCube contoller adapters.

So if this date is real, Nintendo is going to have a real Money Hype train :4wario2: with a little break on early November to go full steam ahead for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom