• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii u version release date unmasked.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Not official, still only rumour. It's only official when Nintendo say it. But it's a very plausible rumour.

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
I'm about 95% sure at this point that will be the date, it just makes sense to come out then. My only worry is a 2month notice is definitely on the shorter side of announcing a release date but this whole release structure of 3DS/Wii U in general is odd to me anyway.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not official, still only rumour. It's only official when Nintendo say it. But it's a very plausible rumour.
It is Nintendo saying it. It comes from Nintendo France...

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I always thought later November - Dec. 4 or something.

Either way...... hummina. Soooo ready.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
Somebody in the comments section of the linked webpage in this thread's first post said that this page has Nintendo addressing the "posted date (November 21, 2014)" as an error; would be great if anyone can translate the French text..

I only did a brief search, but I can't find any mention of the date on Nintendo France's website, either. November 21st, 2014 would've been ideal, though; I'm just wondering how long the non-Japan territory links will be staggered from the Japanese release..
Used Google chrome...
[UPDATE] Smash Bros for Wii U: A possible date for Europe?
Now if you've noticed, a commercial for Hyrule Warriors is currently broadcast on PN. But this ad reveals vital information about Super Smash Bros due out later this winter on Wii U.

Updated:
Contacted for clarification, Nintendo says that the release date specified in the advertisement is a mistake and that the output window remains end 2014 so we will have to wait a bit to get a date officially official release on Smash Bros Wii U!
Original News:
While we are still waiting sum of the announcement of a release date for Super Smash Bros Wii U. Today, a pub showing the game Hyrule Warriors and now Wii U games on our site we found a may release date for Europe.According advertising, Super Smash Bros for Wii U should land in Europe on November 21 !! Remember, this weekend we mentioned already the US release datewould be in the same day! Below is a screenshot of the ad you can also find a little higher capture: (the image from first link showing the Nov 21 date)

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Well. If we are to go with the November 21st theory. Then should we also assume that the Japanese release would be in October? If so. 1 month until the truth is finally revealed. Muhahahahaha!

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
Today I saw the retail packages for Smash for Wii U and printed on it was that the release date will be 19th October, which seems to be stupid if this Information was right. It was in a german Gamestop btw.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Contacté pour clarification, Nintendo indique que la date de sortie indiquée dans la publicité est une erreur, et que la fenêtre de sortie reste fin 2014 : il nous faudra donc attendre un peu pour avoir une date de sortie officiellement officielle sur Smash Bros Wii U !
I can translate :
Contacted for clarification, Nintendo indicates that the release date annouced in the commercial was a mistake, and that the release window remains the end of 2014 : we'll have to wait a little more to get an official release date of Smash Bros Wii U !

In short it's a mistake.

Last edited:

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
I really hope it is the 21st of November and Nintendo just doesn't want to say. I don't think I can hold out much longer than that!

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
I'm quite happy. I had an uncomfortable feeling that it wouldn't see store shelves until well into December. Plus, this means I'll have it in time for Thanksgiving with my family.

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
November 21st is the day that Pokémon ORAS is scheduled to be released. I didn't think they would want to release both games on the same day.

Booster

Smash Lord
November 21st is the day that Pokémon ORAS is scheduled to be released. I didn't think they would want to release both games on the same day.
They released Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds and Pokemon X and Y on the same day. It was a huge weekend for Nintendo and made them more money in one weekend then the average person makes in a year, of course they're going to do this again.

Though releasing Super Mario 3D World on the same day as Xbox One was a terrible idea and ever since Nintendo has been carefully planning releases.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
They are waiting until a week or two after the 3DS version to announce I'm guessing. If Nintendo doesn't get this in by Black Friday the Wii U and their ambitious Amiibo plan is going to be in the crapper for the holiday season.

Spirst

They are waiting until a week or two after the 3DS version to announce I'm guessing. If Nintendo doesn't get this in by Black Friday the Wii U and their ambitious Amiibo plan is going to be in the crapper for the holiday season.
They'd still have the Christmas opportunity but yeah, I agree. Their best bet would be to get the product in before the Black Friday craze. Smash will definitely be a big seller on that day.

I wonder how many of us are saying this partially because of our innate desire for the date to be correct so we can feed our Smash obsessions.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
They'd still have the Christmas opportunity but yeah, I agree. Their best bet would be to get the product in before the Black Friday craze. Smash will definitely be a big seller on that day.
At the very least it will not be postponed until 2015. I think Nintendo would be desperate enough to release the game with a few bugs that could be patched later, just to get the game onto shelves. It wouldn't completely kill the Wii U's holiday chances to not have Smash there (I remember Star Wars toys sold one holiday in the 70's with just the box - and the toys were sent to you in March) but with such stiff competition, they really need to put up their A game.

Spirst

At the very least it will not be postponed until 2015. I think Nintendo would be desperate enough to release the game with a few bugs that could be patched later, just to get the game onto shelves. It wouldn't completely kill the Wii U's holiday chances to not have Smash there (I remember Star Wars toys sold one holiday in the 70's with just the box - and the toys were sent to you in March) but with such stiff competition, they really need to put up their A game.
I can't see it being postponed unless some really big game-breaking exploit is found. With a game like Brawl, bugs matter much more since the product released is essentially the final and only build of it. These days, the gaming industry seems to be defined by, "shoot first, ask questions later" in the sense that games are pushed to reach the public market by a set date, bugs are found, and then are subsequently patched. Some patches needed or not, just getting the game into a large number of peoples hands is the first priority. That said, I have expectations that Nintendo at least has a quality check and doesn't put out a steaming pile of crap just to sell.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
The most amazing thing would be if all of these rumors stem from each other and really everyone is just citing everyone else as source material for this. Then the game doesn't release on the 21st and the whole thing falls like a house of cards.

Spirst

The most amazing thing would be if all of these rumors stem from each other and really everyone is just citing everyone else as source material for this. Then the game doesn't release on the 21st and the whole thing falls like a house of cards.
Amazing? Don't you mean utterly depressing and heart attack-inducing?

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
The 21st sounds good but I don't think anything is official yet. I remember being surprised by October 3rd, which was later than everyone was expecting for the 3DS version... we'll have to see. I think it won't be as long of a delay between Japanese release and American release date, or there may even be a simultaneous worldwide release. That mountain of trophies they translated that took so long will likely just be copy and pasted into the Wii U version, and I don't think there will be that many more trophies for the Wii U version (maybe 100 tops).

numanumaking13

Smash Cadet
NNID
numanumaking21
In a way I can believe it coming out that day, but how does Nintendo expect me to play both Smash and Pokemon on that same day? It's going to be rough trying to play both. Smash will get more of my attention that day if this does occur.

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
They released Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds and Pokemon X and Y on the same day. It was a huge weekend for Nintendo and made them more money in one weekend then the average person makes in a year, of course they're going to do this again.

Though releasing Super Mario 3D World on the same day as Xbox One was a terrible idea and ever since Nintendo has been carefully planning releases.
A Link Between Worlds was released on November 22nd in North America and Europe, December 26th in Japan. Pokémon X and Y were released on October 12th worldwide.

Spirst

The 21st sounds good but I don't think anything is official yet. I remember being surprised by October 3rd, which was later than everyone was expecting for the 3DS version... we'll have to see. I think it won't be as long of a delay between Japanese release and American release date, or there may even be a simultaneous worldwide release. That mountain of trophies they translated that took so long will likely just be copy and pasted into the Wii U version, and I don't think there will be that many more trophies for the Wii U version (maybe 100 tops).
Unfortunately, that's not the case. I'm assuming you haven't seen this:
http://shoryuken.com/2014/09/16/mas...t-dibs-on-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-release/

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, didn't realize it was already confirmed to be later. Anyway, it might not be as big of a gap since there's a lot of shared info between the versions.

Anyway, I think it'd be a great strategy to release a top tier 3DS game (Pokemon) and a top tier Wii U game (Smash) on the same day to drive sales to both of their consoles. They don't even really overlap. Myself though, I might not even get the new Pokemon for awhile. I really wasn't that impressed with Y. It seems like the series is more focused on multiplayer nowadays (not that it wasn't before, but the difficulty went down drastically for the single player especially compared to White 2 and it felt phoned in).

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone inform me why Nintendo wants Japan to get first dibs for a few weeks? Is it because people try to sell the game before the release date? I don't want to assume it is a bias of some sort. I only have the Wii U, so the 3DS is already making me feel late to the party. Nintendo making me wait extra time for the already late coming Wii U is just bothering.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone inform me why Nintendo wants Japan to get first dibs for a few weeks? Is it because people try to sell the game before the release date? I don't want to assume it is a bias of some sort. I only have the Wii U, so the 3DS is already making me feel late to the party. Nintendo making me wait extra time for the already late coming Wii U is just bothering.
There's no nefarious plan. It's just, the Japanese branch of Nintendo is making the game so it gets out sooner. Localization takes some time, especially when releasing a museum that Smash has become.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
I can see this game going down the same road as Brawl and becomes delayed till next year Feb.

Really trying not to get my hopes up for November.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I can see this game going down the same road as Brawl and becomes delayed till next year Feb.

Really trying not to get my hopes up for November.
I dunno, I think when you've got what is probably going to be an identical game engine and character balance already on the market with no glaring issues... I think that has to be a good sign. It's good to be cautious about it though.

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
Slight correction from earlier: It was Mario 3D World and ALBW that released on the same day last year - November 22nd. The Xbox One also launched on this date. In the U.S., it is unquestionably better to get your big titles out BEFORE black friday, even if there is competition (including your own), than to release AFTER black friday just to space things out. That's THE day, the biggest U.S. shopping day of the entire year. If Smash is not out in America before that day, then something has gone seriously, seriously wrong.

I would put money on the 21st, and this only cements it. The reason the announcement hasn't been made is because they need to hold off until after the 3DS version is out worldwide. Nintendo will put out a press release on October 5th, and that's when we'll get our date - either in that PR or in a direct shortly after.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I'm not even sure why they are holding off for the 3DS release worldwide. I don't get the strategy there. But that appears to be what they are doing.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Smash has always had releases like this. I thought it was to fix some the bugs in the game since fighting games can be so glitchy? So really Japan gets the short end of the stick here. Or at least used to. That doesn't matter so much now that patches are a thing.

Top Bottom