• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why 3DS/Wii U Transfer Unlocks are Possible.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I would like to once again express my support for this method of unlocking, even if direct unlocks would be a bit friendlier to the user. Hoping this is the case in the long run.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
If we want to think up some more straws….

Smash is approaching more SF4 like features - customizable movesets, more costume alts, final smashes, etc. What if they follow suit with an 'expansion pack' of 5 characters a la SSFIV > USFIV?

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
Not contradictory, but it'd be scummy to hide characters behind a 360$ price tag.
Well, the Wii U version is gonna need all the help it can get, honestly. If this is true, Sakurai's smart by having the four fan-popular exclusives for the Wii U version. Besides, there may be other methods to get these characters, like amiibo figures, or heck even DLC. Now it REALLY feels like grasping at straws, but I get the feeling Sakurai teasing all these fan characters just to flip us off with Dark Pit and Dr. Mario is something he wouldn't dare do. There HAS to be some kind of catch or surprise. Heck, personally I'm okay with the roster, but given all the evidence and teasing I feel there is something more.

Besides, the /v/ rumor that this theory is based on gives us that same hope. The Last Stand For Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, And Chorus Kids. The Fight Is Not Yet Lost.

One final argument: take Dark Pit. He shows up in Palutena's trailer, but not as a newcomer. Why not have a big super Kid Icarus trailer with both of them? Because Dark Pit's unlockable? Not necessarily, because Lucina is unlockable, but shared a reveal trailer with Robin. Keep in mind Mr. Game & Watch most likely doesn't count considering he's now a three-time vet of Smash. So why isn't Dark Pit on the Smash website?

Because...it has been said multiple times that every character on the Smash website SHOWS UP IN BOTH VERSIONS.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
If we want to think up some more straws….

Smash is approaching more SF4 like features - customizable movesets, more costume alts, final smashes, etc. What if they follow suit with an 'expansion pack' of 5 characters a la SSFIV > USFIV?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The Gematsu Leak dropped off a cliff after Lucina was revealed instead of Chrom, despite it being accurate otherwise.

OP, I wouldn't format the roster like you did. I'd just move Shulk up a row and put the 4 incentive characters to the right of the random button, so that is at the bottom row in the middle. It'd also put them below the Clone Corner, for a nice jab at the Forbidden 7 from Brawl.

I've talked about this scenario possibly happening here for a week or so, because I was thinking that they couldn't finish the roster in time and it'd get people to buy both. Especially since Mewtwo and Ridley alone are near the top of the charts in fan voting.

Last edited:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
It's still a worse option then just giving them the characters no matter how you slice it.
Why would they give when they can sell? Nintendo is in a financial hole ATM so $$$ dlc can solve that

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Just throwing this out here.

Nintendo have done plenty of 3DS/Wii U cross promotion in the past. For example, people who had a 3DS Pushmo game were entitled to a discount on the WIi U version.

I could pretty easily see something like this happening. Maybe not with the Dr Mario/DHD etc being excluded from the Wii U version. More like, if you connect the 3DS and Wii U versions then you get (insert characters here) for free and early on both systems (so the exclusives are the same for both versions). I'm guessing if this was the case, then the characters would be released eventually for a price.

I don't understand these "straw grasping" comments. No one here is saying "ZOMG TIS AS HUPPENING, RADLEY ES CUNFORMED". And the whole "durr he sed da roasters be da sim do" thing is just atrocious, anyone using that argument needs to just leave this thread now.

I've been saying for some time that they'll probably launch some form of DLC with the Wii U version. There has to be something that they're planning to make people want to double dip only 6 or so weeks after already buying the 3DS version.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Of course it is possible, but I really hope it doesn't happen. I want more characters as much as any of you, but they should be released as DLC.

Forcing people to buy two versions of the game (plus a Wii U or a 3DS for those who don't own both systems) is a ridiculous idea.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Of course it is possible, but I really hope it doesn't happen. I want more characters as much as any of you, but they should be released as DLC.

Forcing people to buy two versions of the game (plus a Wii U or a 3DS for those who don't own both systems) is a ridiculous idea.
My thoughts are that if this is a thing...it will be a timed dlc release. Like the version exclusive Vader/Yoda characters for Soul Caliber.
You got both version? You get them all for free, immediately. You don't? Wait a while, and pay a little.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Cutting the roster off for either version would segment the player base and not only prevent a full experience for people who may not WANT the 3DS version and vice versa, but it'd also be redundant and would force someone to spend a ton of money if they don't have a WiiU.

I strongly believe that Smash Bros would not do this

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Well, that's unfortunate. Dixie Kong was just spotted as a trophy in Gema_Yue's stream. GAF and some other viewers just confirmed it. Do note the trophy didn't have parenthesis.

Also a business in bad shape? The WiiU is doing mediocre, but it's nowhere near the money pit it used to be, and if they want new consumers, I already know what they're doing. A new Zelda game.

http://i.imgur.com/wA9QjlB.png?1 Dixie trophy for those who are wondering. Again, sorry this theory didn't work out, but I can't say I expected it to!

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Well, that's unfortunate. Dixie Kong was just spotted as a trophy in Gema_Yue's stream. GAF and some other viewers just confirmed it. Do note the trophy didn't have parenthesis.

Also a business in bad shape? The WiiU is doing mediocre, but it's nowhere near the money pit it used to be, and if they want new consumers, I already know what they're doing. A new Zelda game.

http://i.imgur.com/wA9QjlB.png?1 Dixie trophy for those who are wondering. Again, sorry this theory didn't work out, but I can't say I expected it to!
I wouldn't exactly say a trophy ruled a character out as future DLC.

Otherwise we'd be left with literally no potential candidates.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Paying a small fortune for what amounts to on-disk DLC is something not even Capcom would be stupid enough to do.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

While that's certainly true. It is still disheartening to not see Dixie in as a semi-clone of Diddy rather say...Dark Pit.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Future DLC is different than connecting a console to get a character. But I still think this trophy safely debunks it. Perhaps after the release of WiiU version and after the game has been released for a few months but, for the time being, I don't see it. I think people just want to speculate really bad and this is the result of that.

Last edited:

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
The wii doing mediocre doesn't mean that the company is doing fine.

After the incredible influx of revenue from the Wii, Market expectations were at an all time high and that backfired. When the bubble popped, that put a huge strain on the company. Even if Wii U sales doubled, there would still be a huge hole to climb out of.

Next year does look like to be an incredible year for Nintendo, with several triple a titles on the horizon, but as we've seen with Mario Kart 8 , Nintendo is finally willing to enter grey areas it never before ventured (quality dedicated DLC).

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

That's true but this would suggest that there isn't anything planned with Dixie at the moment, which goes against the whole idea of her being one of the characters to be unlocked with the Wii U version.

It's obviously not impossible but it certainly doesn't help anything.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
All the DLC you're giving me examples of is far different than having to own a WiiU to be able to play with the full roster of a game.

There is legitimate DLC and then there is bull**** like holding back characters. The former is fine the latter is NOT.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
That's true but this would suggest that there isn't anything planned with Dixie at the moment, which goes against the whole idea of her being one of the characters to be unlocked with the Wii U version.

It's obviously not impossible but it certainly doesn't help anything.
Most likely yes, this puts this speculation on hold, BUT
In brawl there were trophies of Falco from Assault that we're not related to his character trophies. You could even get it before you unlocked Falco, so it's not exactly %100 debunked.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Here's the fun part about those. They had (Assault) in their name.

The Dixie trophy lacks parenthesis, much like the Wolf one in this game.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Most likely yes, this puts this speculation on hold, BUT
In brawl there were trophies of Falco from Assault that we're not related to his character trophies. You could even get it before you unlocked Falco, so it's not exactly %100 debunked.
Sure, although I'm fairly sure it specified that it was Falco's Assault version. This one is just "Dixie Kong" as far as I can tell.

EDIT:

The Dixie trophy lacks parenthesis, much like the Wolf ones.
:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
My thoughts are that if this is a thing...it will be a timed dlc release. Like the version exclusive Vader/Yoda characters for Soul Caliber.
You got both version? You get them all for free, immediately. You don't? Wait a while, and pay a little (or nothing).
Please reference my above statement. This wouldn't be holding back characters, especially if they are not actually on the 3DS cartridge.

In the above scenario, there is a legit incentive to purchase both, but with the ease of knowing that you'll get them eventually.

Also, the only way you can get the colored Yoshis and Shy Guys in Mario Kart is to preorder the combined dlc pack. That, in a way, is locked on disc content.

The Dixie trophy lacks parenthesis, much like the Wolf one in this game.
All I'm saying is there is a precedence.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
OR the the only way to get them on 3DS would be to buy the Amiibos for them and either the NFC Portal or a N3DS. Remember, they are planning to do Amiibos for every character.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Wii U game jam packed. Ridley too big. Need 324kb from 3DS connectivity to complete addition of Ridley to roster. So close.

##TeamReally

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I could very well believe in the prospect that Sakurai and team held a small select number of characters held back for the wii u version to help hype that game, but only in a way that they would be later downloadable on 3DS for free. However there is no point in dwelling in the prospect as it will likely lead to disappointment in the long run. Anyways now that the game is out. We can start drifting from speculation to character analysis and gameplay mechanics.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

Theres the evidence we were looking for. Again, I dont think this entirely deconfirms the theory, but this puts a lot of dirt on it, and makes it seem less plausible than before. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!!

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
So the guy said that his source saw moving models of the characters... well I don't believe him at all but if there is something more then awesome. He also had Dixie Kong listed but this showed up today so she's out.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Now that he have the trophy point invalid, now I'd say we need to get into the games coding.

A bit of warning thought to hackers among this forum.....take caution when attempting to hack this game....and make sure you have expendable resources should something go wrong.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Could very well be that there holding back characters. Remember the Gematsu leaker?
Had everything right besides Chrom, and Chrom was originally planned considered.
Only Chorus Kids are missing from the leak.
Remember this?

Why is Sneaky Spirit in the game, if there's no Rhythm Heaven character at all?
Yes, same could be said for Ice Climbers' Polar Bear in Smash run though.
But it's odd regardless, since Rhythm Heaven is new to Smash, unlike Ice Climbers.
Are there other enemies of a franchise not represented by a playable character?

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Could very well be that there holding back characters. Remember the Gematsu leaker?
Had everything right besides Chrom, and Chrom was originally planned.
Only Chorus Kids are missing from the leak.
Remember this?

Why is Sneaky Spirit in the game, if there's no Rhythm Heaven character at all?
Yes, same could be said for Ice Climbers' Polar Bear in Smash run though.
Chrom was never planned. Only considered. There was never any developmental work put into him therefor he should not have shown up on a leak that was posted over 2 years after the roster was selected.

There were holes in the leak from the beginning. Characters guessed at incorrect dates, missing characters, vague guesses. Not to mention that the very first post regarding it was posted as a prediction.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Chrom was never planned. Only considered. There was never any developmental work put into him therefor he should not have shown up on a leak that was posted over 2 years after the roster was selected.

There were holes in the leak from the beginning. Characters guessed at incorrect dates, missing characters, vague guesses. Not to mention that the very first post regarding it was posted as a prediction.
You're mixing things up a little. The very first leak was reposted by the owner of gematsu.com as a prediction, but the original leak was a personal message to the owner, written as fact. You're right, some dates were wrong. But still, the leaker had what, 8 out of 10 right? He guessed Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mii Fighter, Shulk, Little Mac, Pac Man, Palutena, Mega Man? No. He had inside information in some form, maybe outdated or just vague (that's why he probably didn't knew that Greninja was the X/Y representive). Chrom was, as you said considered (thanks for correcting me). Only Chorus Kids are untouched by now, and that Sneaky Spirit appeared in Smash Run. I don't wanna say that there are definitely held back characters. But Sneaky Spirit increases the possibility of it being the case IMO.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
So the guy said that his source saw moving models of the characters... well I don't believe him at all but if there is something more then awesome. He also had Dixie Kong listed but this showed up today so she's out.
Since when do trophies discount them from potentially being in the roster?
Could I just live with hope that Dixie is in the game?

DLC could mean it voids going through Classic to get their trophies, or.... if that's not her actual render pose then the official one could be awarded.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1972435/super_smash_bros_the_difference_between_wii_u_3ds_versions.html

"Fundamentally we’re going to have the same characters on both systems," said Sakurai. "If there was a character you couldn’t play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that’s rough for consumers."

"So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

The idea behind this is to enable customers to have the same experience regardless of personal platform preference.
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions," Sakurai told us. "It’s sort of like what I talk about with the game creation philosophy itself – I really want the end user, the game player themselves, to find what they like and really just go with that."

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1972435/super_smash_bros_the_difference_between_wii_u_3ds_versions.html

"Fundamentally we’re going to have the same characters on both systems," said Sakurai. "If there was a character you couldn’t play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that’s rough for consumers."

"So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

The idea behind this is to enable customers to have the same experience regardless of personal platform preference.
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions," Sakurai told us. "It’s sort of like what I talk about with the game creation philosophy itself – I really want the end user, the game player themselves, to find what they like and really just go with that."
:troll:

Salty with grain, but i wont give up yet. There is one simple reason:

Why should ppl buy the wiiU version although they have the 3ds Version already? And wiiU sales are going bad right now.. So smash on 3ds would basically kill the smash wiiU and thus the wiiU sales.

And remember, even sakurai has a Boss :troll:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I'm not saying trophies deconfirm a character from ever being a possible DLC/Wii U transfer possibility, but let's just pretend it does for a minute.

In that case, Ridley, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Lucas, Isaac, and Chorus Men are still at large and trophyless. Anyone else that matters?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
:troll:

Salty with grain, but i wont give up yet. There is one simple reason:

Why should ppl buy the wiiU version although they have the 3ds Version already? And wiiU sales are going bad right now.. So smash on 3ds would basically kill the smash wiiU and thus the wiiU sales.

And remember, even sakurai has a Boss :troll:
"If there was a character you couldn’t play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that’s rough for consumers."
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions..."

And Sakurai is his own boss.

Top Bottom