• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why 3DS/Wii U Transfer Unlocks are Possible.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Based on the Wii U/ 3DS transfer rumor

Wii U: Chorus Men, Ridley, Dixie and Mewtwo.
3DS: DHD, Bowser Jr, Dark Pit, Dr Mario

They actually fit into the 3DS roster nicely.

and can support DLC nicely.

Next, none of the above newcomers have trailers revealed. Its possible none of these characters have trailers at all, as they are version exclusives.This would explain a lot in this sense.

Nintendo needs incentives to sell both games. They do this often, with games like Pokemon series. Having unlockable characters by owning both versions is one of the best ways to push both games. Especially when they need to push
sales on the Wii U. It would actually make less sense to not include a feature like this from a marketing standpoint. And at the very least, they could make it so those without both games can pay a fee to unlock the characters.

We have not seen trophies of either of the 4 Wii U characters yet. I know Karate Joe doesnt have a symbol, but the series symbols are overlayed behind the text, and this can be an easy fix with a future patch. For that matter, the polar bear does't have a symbol, yet many believe ICs are a strong candidate for DLC. If you belief they can be DLC, then you'd have to believe having no symbol now means nothing at the moment.

***EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/wA9QjlB.png?1 We found Dixie! Good works everyone! We are one step closer to getting to the bottom of this rumor!

***** Dixie, Chorus Men, and Mewtwos trophies have been found. I think this is strong fuel to counter this rumor.

For this to be true, Gematsu would have to be true. Gematsu failed to account for the 3DS exclusive characters. Its very possible the leaker only had inside information with the Wii U version's marketing.

Then we have the /v/ leaker, who claimed these characters are in the game. Please refer to this thread for more details.http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70028141

Lastly....if this is true, then this means the 4 characters above are indeed in the games files. While 3DS hacking is difficult, it has been done, and I'd assume it wont be long before people start digging into the games coding. We won't have to wait long to know for sure.

And the Wii U's CSS supports this rumor as well.

I based the layout on the E3 demo layout...since the 3ds layout stayed the same.
Not really a pattern, but it works pretty well

Now heres with the 3ds characters added

And heres room for dlc:

This user claims his source is reliable
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129524882#post129524882

Spainkiller;129524882 said:
**** it, I'm just gonna put it out there:

(And I'm not saying this to troll fans or keep the hype up or whatever.)

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.

EDIT: This user's post brings up a good reason:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129558137&postcount=15956

MyBodyisReady;129558137 said:
For those that don't think Nintendo would reward those who purchase both games I give you exhibit A:

And to those that question the fact that Nintendo wouldn't require you to purchase content that cannot give you the "FULL EXPERIENCE BUILT INTO THE GAME" until you own said content exhibit B:

Last edited:

Ellipsis

Smash Cadet
This is the bargaining phase if I ever saw it.

And why would the 3DS exclusive character list include two of the blatant clones? If they tried such a thing, I would expect all those characters to be unique and exciting.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
This is the bargaining phase if I ever saw it.

And why would the 3DS exclusive character list include two of the blatant clones? If they tried such a thing, I would expect all those characters to be unique and exciting.
Eh, not really. If we can get into the coding of the 3ds game, we can easily determine if this is true or not, thus no reason to grasp for straws here.. So for now this is merely rumor speculation.. and widely open for debate!!

Also the fact that we have not seen any trophy for Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men, or Mewtwo is still good evidence....but should they become unlocked, I'd say this rumor is unlikely.

Last edited:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Also the fact that we have not seen any trophy for Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men, or Mewtwo is still good evidence
Just wait till more people have the game. The trophies for most if not all these characters should be uncovered soon.

phanteon

Smash Cadet
all the truth will be known then the game is dumped and the dump decrypted.
if nothing else is found, then new characters would have to be used via DLC. If they are found then might need to unlocked

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I think that Sakurai explicitly stated that the roster would be the same on both versions. But I suspected he would hide some away until a certain date as DLC of some sort to keep the world on its toes. Having to buy both versions to get all the characters would be an interesting incentive indeed.

Racquets

Smash Rookie
You've likened this unlock method to version-exclusive Pokémon, but it's not really the same at all. Pokémon actually encourages you to get one game, and trade with someone else. With the exception of legendaries, you can just catch however many version-exclusive Pokémon you want and trade them to as many people as you'd like. It doesn't even need to be local; you can trade online, too. Essentially, you don't have to buy both games to get all the Pokémon.

However, with a game like Smash, in order to unlock all characters in the method you describe, you would not only need to buy both games, but two different consoles. Yes, they would want a reason to encourage the purchase of both games, but it seems like they are trying to do that by having different modes and stages for each, which is already a pretty nice incentive. Playable characters are integral to Smash, and to have such an unlock method would essentially prevent a lot of people from unlocking all the characters, which isn't very fair.

It is certainly possible, but I feel like DLC is much more likely. To miss out on a certain game mode because you don't get both games is one thing, but to miss out on part of the roster just doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do, in my opinion.

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
sigh, now that the so called "big 3" are out, people are STILL grasping for straws lol. So sad

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
Honestly, I doubt this is true.

But I hope it is. It makes sense. Having exclusive characters for each version that can be cross-transfered to the other version is a cool idea and a great way to boost sales. Also by having the most wanted characters (Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men) on the (some would say superior) Wii U version and others (Dr Mario, Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr) on the 3DS version, it just all clicks, and it makes sense why the 3DS roster is complete but Sakurai has still been teasing Mewtwo and Ridley. I can't think of a good counter argument, so I really hope this is true.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think that Sakurai explicitly stated that the roster would be the same on both versions. But I suspected he would hide some away until a certain date as DLC of some sort to keep the world on its toes. Having to buy both versions to get all the characters would be an interesting incentive indeed.
You'd have to buy both games to take advantage of the Club Nintendo offer anyway.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
The problem with this is that Zipzo also had a source that was deemed to be reliable and he turned out to be leading us all on.
Take it with a bucket of salt and don't get your hopes up, would be my advice.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
You've likened this unlock method to version-exclusive Pokémon, but it's not really the same at all. Pokémon actually encourages you to get one game, and trade with someone else. With the exception of legendaries, you can just catch however many version-exclusive Pokémon you want and trade them to as many people as you'd like. It doesn't even need to be local; you can trade online, too. Essentially, you don't have to buy both games to get all the Pokémon.

However, with a game like Smash, in order to unlock all characters in the method you describe, you would not only need to buy both games, but two different consoles. Yes, they would want a reason to encourage the purchase of both games, but it seems like they are trying to do that by having different modes and stages for each, which is already a pretty nice incentive. Playable characters are integral to Smash, and to have such an unlock method would essentially prevent a lot of people from unlocking all the characters, which isn't very fair.

It is certainly possible, but I feel like DLC is much more likely. To miss out on a certain game mode because you don't get both games is one thing, but to miss out on part of the roster just doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do, in my opinion.
Having both versions of the game could simply be a method of getting the characters for free. If you only have a 3DS they could make it so you pay a fee to unlock the characters. Yes this would be on disk DLC, but a lot of devs do this nowadays...and before someone says Nintendo wouldnt subject theirselves to that....people said the same thing about traditional DLC with nintendo for years....and here they are creating solid priced DLC.

Also remember Amiibos are an alternative. From what I understand, they don't have enough memory to hold an entire character on them...but on the otherhand, they would have no problem carrying the keys required to unlock the on disk DLC.

Also on disk DLC makes it so it doesnt split the online user base

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
In the Direct he said the rosters are the same between the two.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The problem with this is that Zipzo also had a source that was deemed to be reliable and he turned out to be leading us all on.
Take it with a bucket of salt and don't get your hopes up, would be my advice.
To be fair, Zipzo basically berated the guy until he gave him a character name. And if the guy really is a tester like he claimed, he might know the planned characters, but not when they're going to be implemented.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Yeah, no. On disk DLC isn't something Nintendo would do, definitely not in SSB.
On disk DLC isn't necessarily a bad thing. By having the DLC on the disc, you don't have to download it to your console's memory and waste the precious little bit of memory that the Wii U has available.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
On disk DLC isn't necessarily a bad thing. By having the DLC on the disc, you don't have to download it to your console's memory and waste the precious little bit of memory that the Wii U has available.
Characters and stages take up very little space. Songs and other sounds are what take up a ton of space, but most characters don't talk enough to make a big difference 99% of the time.

In short, that's a rather poor reason to do it in SSB.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Yeah, no. On disk DLC isn't something Nintendo would do, definitely not in SSB.
I agree, but there is no doubt that, financially, Nintendo's back is against the wall.

With 3DS sales better than ever, but Wii U sales under-performing, this may be exactly the route the Big N takes. Reaching out to a wider audience on the 3DS and then encouraging all of them to invest in their new platform seems like a smart move.

Sure it will probably be timed DLC for those that choose not to get a Wii U, but I think it makes sense. Otherwise there are hardly any incentives for getting both versions.

I may be somewhere in between the denial/bargaining stage (probably not...I think the roster is awesome), but I just have a hard time accepting that we won't be getting any surprises in the next 2-3 months before the Wii U version comes out.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can probably tell why the Wii U eShop often states that you might need an external hard drive to download the software. As for the 3DS, you literally need to have an SD/SDHC card to download any 3DS software.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I agree, but there is no doubt that, financially, Nintendo's back is against the wall.

With 3DS sales better than ever, but Wii U sales under-performing, this may be exactly the route the Big N takes. Reaching out to a wider audience on the 3DS and then encouraging all of them to invest in their new platform seems like smart move.

Sure it will probably be timed DLC for those that choose not to get a Wii U, but I think it makes sense. Otherwise there are hardly any incentives for getting both versions.

I may be somewhere in between the denial/bargaining stage (probably not...I think the roster is awesome), but I just have a hard time accepting that we won't be getting any surprises in the next 2-3 months before the Wii U version comes out.
That's hardly a good reason to something like this. Really, the Wii U is doing fine. The big selling point is playing on the TV and the new stages, I don't think they'd do something scummy like this.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sakurai also never said the rosters would be the same at the same time

just throwing that out there. I'm a professional straw grasper/

Dan

Smash Lord
And both rosters are the same. You just cant unlock the entire roster without having the other game/ or the on disk dlc to play as them
True, but I'm tired of the speculation; I thought it all would've ended today.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
That's hardly a good reason to something like this. Really, the Wii U is doing fine. The big selling point is playing on the TV and the new stages, I don't think they'd do something scummy like this.
It's not scummy if they give it away for free after a month or two down the line.

But the Wii U has been doing better in August, largely due to Mario Kart 8, but the numbers are not as good as they have hoped. Nintendo needs a home-run and they've got almost all of their eggs in the Smash basket for this holiday season.

I've talked to several 3DS owners and Wii U owners and people who own both.
Not a lot of people are convinced to buy both versions of the game and even fewer are inclined to buy a new system just for Smash.

lunarum

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4055-3233-5833
I can see the 3DS/Wii U connectivity being used to quickly unlock characters on the Wii U, that you've already unlocked on the 3DS and vice versa to save time, but I can't help but see console-crossing unlockables as something Nintendo would do just to encourage Wii U sales or DLC. Plus, didn't Nintendo already offer soundtrack CD's as a bonus for buying both versions of SSB4?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's not scummy if they give it away for free after a month or two down the line.

But the Wii U has been doing better in August, largely due to Mario Kart 8, but the numbers are not as good as they have hoped. Nintendo needs a home-run and they've got almost all of their eggs in the Smash basket for this holiday season.

Not a lot of people are convinced to buy both versions of the game and even fewer are inclined to buy a new system just for Smash.
And then comes the roster results, which may heavily lower the hopes of those who want to buy Smash Wii U.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
What has me interested is all of this talk about the Chorus Men.

Such an off the wall character, who has been talked about for so long with such certainty, and now he is nowhere to be seen.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Adding Ridley's the least scummy thing they could possibly do.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Well since my thread was locked down for some reason, I guess I'll just post this here since it's fairly appropriate.

So apparently when Shofu was live streaming last night during all the craziness going on with the multiple people streaming the full version of Smash Bros for 3DS, somebody slipped about Mewtwo being playable, causing some interesting reactions and responses. Here's the link to the livestream broadcast: http://www.twitch.tv/shofu/b/567421353

Just fast forward to 3:02:40 where the conversation begins. Obviously some of these individuals know something we don't given how hush hush they were when talking about Mewtwo. This doesn't confirm anything really but it's rather strange nevertheless. Lends some credence to the whole DLC characters rumour floating around or 3DS/WiiU transfer to unlock more characters. Either way I'm very satisfied with the current roster but if Mewtwo is a playable character down the road, that would be awesome! Thoughts?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Doesn't help the kid without wi-fi. I still don't see it happening, ever.

Adding Ridley's the least scummy thing they could possibly do.
They're not retconing Phyrosphere, either. If there's a Ridley trophy in SSB3D, then he's definitely not going to be one of the scummy characters. I'd rather not see him at all then like this.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Well since my thread was locked down for some reason, I guess I'll just post this here since it's fairly appropriate.

So apparently when Shofu was live streaming last night during all the craziness going on with the multiple people streaming the full version of Smash Bros for 3DS, somebody slipped about Mewtwo being playable, causing some interesting reactions and responses. Here's the link to the livestream broadcast: http://www.twitch.tv/shofu/b/567421353

Just fast forward to 3:02:40 where the conversation begins. Obviously some of these individuals know something we don't given how hush hush they were when talking about Mewtwo. This doesn't confirm anything really but it's rather strange nevertheless. Lends some credence to the whole DLC characters rumour floating around or 3DS/WiiU transfer to unlock more characters. Either way I'm very satisfied with the current roster but if Mewtwo is a playable character down the road, that would be awesome! Thoughts?
I don't know who these guys are or who they are talking about. So I don't know what that means.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I don't know who these guys are or who they are talking about. So I don't know what that means.
Unfortunately neither do I but one of them obviously knows something and can't say anything until it's been shown off, either by a leak or via Nintendo themselves. That's mainly the reason why I posted that. There was some suspicious behaviour from one of the guys who told the loud mouth off when he said Mewtwo's name.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Doesn't help the kid without wi-fi. I still don't see it happening, ever.

They're not retconing Phyrosphere, either. If there's a Ridley trophy in SSB3D, then he's definitely not going to be one of the scummy characters. I'd rather not see him at all then like this.
I'm sorry sir, but I completely disagree with you. I don't find it any more "scummy" or shady than what they are doing with Mario Kart 8, or Pokemon, or what any other gaming company does these days. The cost of development and distribution of AAA game titles is becoming more and more costly and less and less rewarding. That's why you see Ubisoft sitting on finished software for the Wii U and not pulling the trigger.

It's just business.

Top Bottom