• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why 3DS/Wii U Transfer Unlocks are Possible.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately neither do I but one of them obviously knows something and can't say anything until it's been shown off, either by a leak or via Nintendo themselves. That's mainly the reason why I posted that. There was some suspicious behaviour from one of the guys who told the loud mouth off when he said Mewtwo's name.
Yeah, I suppose. Or they could have just wanted to be spoiler-free.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Yeah, I suppose. Or they could have just wanted to be spoiler-free.
True enough. It could very well be nothing but I thought I would post this little bit of information just in case people were interested.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
This is the bargaining phase if I ever saw it.

And why would the 3DS exclusive character list include two of the blatant clones? If they tried such a thing, I would expect all those characters to be unique and exciting.
Well, Dixie Kong (clone of Diddy Kong) and Mewtwo (Melee Veteran/semi clone of Lucario) could be comparable to Dr. Mario (Melee Veteren/more-than-semi clone of Mario) and Dark Pit (Clone of Pit).

Same thing with Chorus Men (WTF character) and Ridley (Brand New Villain) being foils for Duck Hunt Dog (WTF) and Bowser Junior (New Villain)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Sakurai also never said the rosters would be the same at the same time

just throwing that out there. I'm a professional straw grasper/
If there is a straw to grasp, then those of us who lost characters today will still grasp to something. I know I am.

It doesn't seem to far fetched of an idea, and knowing Nintendo, they will make it so people who have and people who haven't bought both games will get the same content.

Either way, we should know about this functionality probably in the next Nintendo/Smash Direct. The April Direct did say they would talk about what this connection would entail.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm sorry sir, but I completely disagree with you. I don't find it any more "scummy" or shady than what they are doing with Mario Kart 8, or Pokemon, or what any other gaming company does these days. The cost of development and distribution of AAA game titles is becoming more and more costly and less and less rewarding. That's why you see Ubisoft sitting on finished software for the Wii U and not pulling the trigger.

It's just business.
I never said DLC as a whole was bad. Just when they try to sell it to you twice. MK8's is great, and Pokemon's is a different situation. This, however, is atrocious.

Ubisoft not releasing their overbudget games is their problem. This is a whole other tangent that I don't feel like going down.

Amiibos solve this. They could carry the data to unlock the characters.
So now he has to buy a 30$ add-on and four 15$ toys to get everybody. Still not much better.

Everybody, just stop and think for a second. Do you really think they'd go through all this trouble just so Sakurai's statement would still be true? No, they'd just give you all the characters right off the bat like a sane person.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I never said DLC as a whole was bad. Just when they try to sell it to you twice. MK8's is great, and Pokemon's is a different situation. This, however, is atrocious.

Ubisoft not releasing their overbudget games is their problem. This is a whole other tangent that I don't feel like going down.

So now he has to buy a 30$ add-on and four 15$ toys to get everybody. Still not much better.

Everybody, just stop and think for a second. Do you really think they'd go through all this trouble just so Sakurai's statement would still be true? No, they'd just give you all the characters right off the bat like a sane person.
The amiibos are fairly an alternative to not having internet. They may cost more...but they are cheaper than paying $50 a month for internet.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I feel bad for the kid without wi-fi, but so what? What about the kid without fingers? It's unfair to have button-based game play. Not being able to afford stuff sucks. Nintendo is a business. If you can't afford their products, Nintendo doesn't need to accomodate you.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If there is a straw to grasp, then those of us who lost characters today will still grasp to something. I know I am.

It doesn't seem to far fetched of an idea, and knowing Nintendo, they will make it so people who have and people who haven't bought both games will get the same content.

Either way, we should know about this functionality probably in the next Nintendo/Smash Direct. The April Direct did say they would talk about what this connection would entail.
I feel ya. As a fellow member from ye old pre brawl ridley thread, I feel like a professional straw grasper at this point. While I love the current roster, I still am a little miffed at his exclusion. It doesn't seem far fetched for this to go our way in the end, though.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Have any of you considered that the patch to unlock online mode might unlock the ability to find other secret characters, as a backup plan in case the street date was broken? Makes a lot of sense to me but what do I know *shrugs*

Honestly though, even though I'm not too concerned about Sm4sh roster as it turned out pretty decent, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo at this point in time to include DLC characters as a way of increasing it's potential revenue. Smash is one of their best selling titles period. Brawl is one of the top ten selling Wii titles, SSB is in the top five n64 best sellers, and Melee is the top selling GC title. Undoubtedly DLC for Sm4sh would be an extremely good idea, at least from a business point of view.

Mario Kart 8 has DLC, and Mario Kart Wii was like the second best selling Wii title wasn't it? No reason Brawl won't follow suit.

Now, this transfer unlock method is interesting in that they'll still bolster their sales by having people purchase both games (which usually entitles they own both consoles). My only question is why won't people just transfer with other peoples consoles? Is the transfer limited to a single 3DS/WiiU unlock per console? Has the transfer been covered at all by the developers in the past, because I think I missed that bit entirely.

And Amiibos would be a brilliant way to do it. That's how I was hoping they'd do it in the first place to be honest. Gives me more of a incentive to buy the things, at least ones for new characters.

Last edited:

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai clearly stated that the same roster is going to appear on both versions, and not in any form of character transfer. The Wii U transfer is only for moving your customized character, that you've worked so hard on, to the other version.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai clearly stated that the same roster is going to appear on both versions, and not in any form of character transfer. The Wii U transfer is only for moving your customized character, that you've worked so hard on, to the other version.
Everything you said after the comma was not said.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
He said the roster will be the same yes. Everything else he did not. In fact, he only mentioned that there will be connectivity between the two games, but then went on to say he will go in great detail another time.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
He said the roster will be the same yes. Everything else he did not. In fact, he only mentioned that there will be connectivity between the two games, but then went on to say he will go in great detail another time.
The straws are gasping for breath. Quit grasping them.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Everything you said after the comma was not said.
"The straws are gasping for breath. Quit grasping them."
The connectivity should be MUCH MORE clearly stated, then, instead of Sakurai trolling us all the time, and use his privileged position to look down on, and mock, us. Try to grasp THAT.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
The straws are gasping for breath. Quit grasping them.
Since this is grasping straws, please contribute, since it should be easy to debunk. Honestly, I want the truth to be determined, and dont care which results they are.

So in the meantime, we need to find a trophy of one of those 4 characters....or someone needs to hack the game. Until then, we won't know one way or another.

We have been debating FAR too long over this game, and we need closure. Until this rumor is cleared up, we do not have closure.

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
"The straws are gasping for breath. Quit grasping them."
The connectivity should be MUCH MORE clearly stated, then, instead of Sakurai trolling us all the time, and use his privileged position to look down on, and mock, us. Try to grasp THAT.
I agree. If Sakurai were clearer and less ambiguous, there would be a lot less confusion and heartache.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Y'know, if this happened, it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo required you to have another game to unlock content in a Smash game...

Anyone remember the Olimar trophy in Melee? Not quite the same as a whole playable character, but still, you can't technically experience the whole game without it...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I feel bad for the kid without wi-fi, but so what? What about the kid without fingers? It's unfair to have button-based game play. Not being able to afford stuff sucks. Nintendo is a business. If you can't afford their products, Nintendo doesn't need to accomodate you.
They did, and are still doing it. Nintendo has stated that more then half of their consumers don't connect their systems to the internet, and will make sure they aren't alienated.

I agree. If Sakurai were clearer and less ambiguous, there would be a lot less confusion and heartache.
But alot more buthurt. Him being that way is for business.

weegee2407

Smash Cadet
I could see extra playable characters being more of a time release sort of thing. Perhaps to generate hype for the wii u version, sakurai will not announce certain characters that may become available to use in both versions upon the wii u release.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I don't think this true. Sakurai had delayed the game if someone was gonna be in the game they would be they had more than enough time. He said both rosters are shared but the stages will different i don't think they will resort to this tactic to get wiiu sales. It would be pretty lame to force people to buy both if they don't want them.
This seems like reaching than anything.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Wow there isn't a Ridley, Dixie , chorus kids or mewtwo trophy? Wow kinda obvious.
We have no evidence whatsoever that the Chorus Kids were ever going to be playable.
The rest are rather special characters, who could easily get unique trophy unlock methods. Until somebody collects every trophy, we can't say for sure.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
Well, Dixie Kong (clone of Diddy Kong) and Mewtwo (Melee Veteran/semi clone of Lucario) could be comparable to Dr. Mario (Melee Veteren/more-than-semi clone of Mario) and Dark Pit (Clone of Pit).

Same thing with Chorus Men (WTF character) and Ridley (Brand New Villain) being foils for Duck Hunt Dog (WTF) and Bowser Junior (New Villain)
I don't know why people think Lucario is a Mewtwo clone. They only have one shared attack. It's their neutral specials. If you think that they're clones, then you'd have to think that Little Mac is a Marth clone because they both have a counter as their Down Specials.

Now, to be on topic, I am still sceptical of this leak/idea, but it's rather intriguing. With Sakurai "thinking about" Mewtwo as a character, I feel that he was very aware of the desire. I mean, he's one of the Forbidden Seven (along with Dixie Kong and Doctor Mario). Plus, I do believe be was the most developed of the Forbidden Seven with sound files.

I think Dr. Mario started as an alt for Mario, but became its own character. They probably decided to make him a more competitive player by removing FLUDD and giving him his original Down Special.

Dixie Kong has already been considered to be a character before as she's one of the Forbidden Seven.

Chorus Kids have played a major role in leaks. With the Smash Run enemy from Rhythm Heaven (I can't remember its name), it makes me think a representative from the series will show up. I think the first occurrence of the Chorus Kids in a leek was the Gematsu Leak (which I think was debunked with the deconfirmation of Chrom as a playable character). But with the Smash Run enemy, I felt like there was a high chance for a Rhythm Heaven character.

Ridley has been desired since Melee. He's pretty controversial in the Smash Community. The status of Ridley in Smash 4 is currently unknown. It's known that Ridley is in the game, but there has been no confirmation on his role (being a boss or a character or a stage hazard, etc.).

Now, I think having to connect the Wii U and 3DS to play as Mewtwo, Ridley, Chorus Kids, and/or Dixie Kong would be extremely strategic. Being some of the most desired characters, it would be a great way to sell more Wii U systems.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Warning Received
All I'm gonna say is.....

It's very appropriate that this topic was posted by someone with the word "Senseless" in their username.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Have any of you considered that the patch to unlock online mode might unlock the ability to find other secret characters, as a backup plan in case the street date was broken? Makes a lot of sense to me but what do I know *shrugs*

Honestly though, even though I'm not too concerned about Sm4sh roster as it turned out pretty decent, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo at this point in time to include DLC characters as a way of increasing it's potential revenue. Smash is one of their best selling titles period. Brawl is one of the top ten selling Wii titles, SSB is in the top five n64 best sellers, and Melee is the top selling GC title. Undoubtedly DLC for Sm4sh would be an extremely good idea, at least from a business point of view.

Mario Kart 8 has DLC, and Mario Kart Wii was like the second best selling Wii title wasn't it? No reason Brawl won't follow suit.

Now, this transfer unlock method is interesting in that they'll still bolster their sales by having people purchase both games (which usually entitles they own both consoles). My only question is why won't people just transfer with other peoples consoles? Is the transfer limited to a single 3DS/WiiU unlock per console? Has the transfer been covered at all by the developers in the past, because I think I missed that bit entirely.

And Amiibos would be a brilliant way to do it. That's how I was hoping they'd do it in the first place to be honest. Gives me more of a incentive to buy the things, at least ones for new characters.
You make some excellent points! I didn't even think about the patch to unlock online mode which could potentially unlock other secret characters, just in case the roster was leaked a select few characters could still remain secret. I honestly wouldn't put it past Sakurai to do something like that. These next few days should be VERY interesting to say the least. I look forward to any further revelations or secrets hidden with Smash Bros. 3DS ^_^

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
| >.> | ;

it's the final roster, deal with it
That's a nice opinion you have there. I'm glad you know better than the rest of us. If you honestly believe that Nintendo is going to show everything up their sleeves in regards to characters, the thing fans are most excited about, when it could possibly have a negative affect on the version they need to sell in order to drive sales for a failing console, then I believe that you are sadly mistaken. That's just looking at it from a business perspective. And while you may believe that most people are just going to willingly buy both versions without a doubt, you have to put yourself in a position of having played the 3DS version for a month or two, knowing what the game has to offer you in regards to gameplay and characters, and you're telling me that there aren't going to be consumers that are going to become complacent with just owning the 3DS version? Nintendo needs to create an incentive for people to buy both versions of the game, especially the Wii U one. And somehow I don't believe that specific game modes, new stages, and "Because it's Smash!" is going to be enough for everyone who's already been playing the 3DS version. I seriously doubt that Nintendo would release the 3DS version first knowing that it could possibly be a detriment to the Wii U version. That's why I believe that some characters are going to become accessible once the Wii U version is released. I could easily be wrong, but I believe it would be another business/marketing goof on Nintendo's part if it were to play out as it stands now.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That's a nice opinion you have there. I'm glad you know better than the rest of us. If you honestly believe that Nintendo is going to show everything up their sleeves in regards to characters, the thing fans are most excited about, when it could possibly have a negative affect on the version they need to sell in order to drive sales for a failing console, then I believe that you are sadly mistaken. That's just looking at it from a business perspective. And while you may believe that most people are just going to willingly buy both versions without a doubt, you have to put yourself in a position of having played the 3DS version for a month or two, knowing what the game has to offer you in regards to gameplay and characters, and you're telling me that there aren't going to be consumers that are going to become complacent with just owning the 3DS version? Nintendo needs to create an incentive for people to buy both versions of the game, especially the Wii U one. And somehow I don't believe that specific game modes, new stages, and "Because it's Smash!" is going to be enough for everyone who's already been playing the 3DS version. I seriously doubt that Nintendo would release the 3DS version first knowing that it could possibly be a detriment to the Wii U version. That's why I believe that some characters are going to become accessible once the Wii U version is released. I could easily be wrong, but I believe it would be another business/marketing goof on Nintendo's part if it were to play out as it stands now.
It could just be crazy Sakurai wanting to release his favorite/the original version first, being that he's not in it for the money.

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
The idea of the four exclusive characters for each version is one that I love and is currently sharing everywhere. That way, it makes SOO MUCH more sense to have Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr, and Duck Hunt being counterparts to Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and Chorus Kids, respectively,

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The idea of the four exclusive characters for each version is one that I love and is currently sharing everywhere. That way, it makes SOO MUCH more sense to have Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr, and Duck Hunt being counterparts to Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and Chorus Kids, respectively,
And yet Sakurai has said multiple times that they would have the exact same roster...

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
True, but I'm tired of the speculation; I thought it all would've ended today.
Let's face it: people aren't gonna stop speculating until Sakurai comes out and says, "sorry guys, no Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie/(insert character)."

And yet Sakurai has said multiple times that they would have the exact same roster...
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was talking about the theory that the four on each version would be exclusive until the two versions are connected, and then the other four are unlocked in each version, leading to...the same roster for both versions. *shrugs* I like it...

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Sakurai has changed his mind before no reason he couldn't now
Not over the course of a single game's development he hasn't.

And in the end, both games would have the same roster. What is contradicting to this?
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was talking about the theory that the four on each version would be exclusive until the two versions are connected, and then the other four are unlocked in each version, leading to...the same roster for both versions. *shrugs* I like it...
Not contradictory, but it'd be scummy to hide characters behind a 360$ price tag.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I REALLY don't think they'd do that. Roster sharing in this case likely meant exactly what it says on the tin. This is incredibly silly and I am really sorry that I can't debunk this beyond personal belief of the fundamental direction this series has gone in since it began.

I don't think transfer exclusive content is foreign, but characters? No. Like, look at the director of this game, who delayed Brawl numerous times to add new characters. I don't care what you tell me, the WiiU version is the same as the 3DS version beyond its different single player modes. Roster differences will not be present.

Last edited:
Top Bottom