• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'd say it really depends on the characters involved for burns. In the 3D Mario titles, Mario can get his rear end burnt off by lava and be fine the next second, so that sort of burn recovery wouldn't surprise me.
That's a game mechanic. In other Mario games, he'll die instantly.

Actually, in Wind Waker, Link only takes a quarter heart of damage per bomb (note that this is without the enhanced defense).
All right.

Then why, may I ask, does Link not take two hearts of damage from eight bombs in-game?
Because the game is programmed that way. I don't know how many times I have to tell you that and the results I got from MM and TP. Take eight, individual bombs and let each one blow up at a time, rather than having eight go off at once. Link should lose two hearts by the time he's hit by the eighth bomb. If you add 1/4 eight times, you'll end up with 2. If you multiply 1/4 by eight, you'll end up with 2. Consider.

1/4 + 1/4 +1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 = 8/4

4/4 = 1, so 8/4 = 2 because if you simplify 8/4, it'll become 2/1, or simply 2.

Yes, but the developers were working in terms of bombs and hearts of damage.
I know.

I think a good way to test this would be to jump off of a ledge and see when exactly Link stops accelerating, and compare that with when he starts taking damage. If they line up, then that's the reason.
You honestly think the speed will increase as Link falls? If not, then it would explain why Link receives the same damage from 10 meters or 100. The game would be programmed in a way so there is a set air resistance, so to speak.

He should, of course, but perhaps the peaceful village on Outset Island (Link's home in Wind Waker) isn't the best place to acquire a suit of armor. :p
I'm thinking mostly in games like TP or SS.

I see. The shockwaves seem to expand slowly enough that Link could put on the Magic Cape in time.
With the exception of MOM if you wish to base the speed of the explosion off the visual data.

Mario has F.L.U.D.D. as well. The Turbo Nozzle makes the running speed point moot (it allows Mario to run at high speeds, to the point of running on water), the Rocket Nozzle and the Cape Feather make jumping height a non-issue, and the Hover Nozzle allows him to float. The reason that Mario is above Mewtwo is because Mario's Starman would allow him to take down Mewtwo before it could even lay a hand on him.
If Turbo Nozzle allows Mario to run on water, then that would mean he's at least running 30 m/s (67.11 mi/h). Thanks for helping quantify that. Unfortunately, I don't know if that's something Mario would be wearing and it is limited on water. Because of Mario's height (5'1") and body fat percentage (assuming it's 30%), he's probably 130 lb. (58.967 kg.) That might not seem like much, especially if anyone here is 130 lb. or more. But height plays a role. So if Mario rammed into anyone at 30 m/s, he would produce a force of 1,769.01, or 397.69 pounds-force. A boxer could still hurt Mario. At least we know a certain amount of force Mario won't get injured.

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
I still think the one minute turn is silly, but whatever.
I asked you (and everyone else who complained) what time would be better but not one of you have provided an alternative.
If we cut it down to 25 seconds, will that be agreeable to everyone? I'd like to clarify the turn rule only applies for buffs, debuffs and attacks that have a one turn start up or cool down.

What about Wii Sports?
Fair point, if I'm including WFT from her games, Wii Sports counts too.

1. To avoid redundancy.
  2. RPG powers are the main point, but he also has the Wing Cap and other odds and ends. Also, again, to avoid redundancy. (Haha, irony.)
  3. Because Mario can become huge and invincible and crush Palutena. Palutena cannot do the same to Mario.
  4. Because Rosalina can create a black hole and spaghettify Link. Link cannot do the same to Rosalina.
1. Were you trying to do only 10 for your list?
2. K.
3. And when Mario does this she can fly out of his range. Or teleport to the opposite end of the field. Mega Mushroom only lasts like 10 (or was it 25 seconds).
4. Understandable.

I agree with your comments, although I'd like to point out that Toon Link from Wind Waker can only hold up to 5,000 Rupees, not 250,000 (I'm not sure where you're getting that number from, by the way).
I'm sure I said all this many times before but it's not WW Link, and I'm using Toon Link, as in any game hes had his Toon Link appearance. In Four Swords Adventure DX he can get 999,000, which when split in 4 would roughly be 250k.

The Wisps have been with Sonic for three main series games now; Sonic Colors, Generations, and Lost World (and those games' respective handheld versions). They function as standard power-ups; one of the creators of the Sonic games even said that he wants them to be a mainstay power-up for the franchise. What you underlined is pretty much exactly what I'm suggesting, by the way. I think I forgot to include the "belonging to them" part, though. My bad.
Oops, my bad on the Wisps. And I'm not against the rule, but I guess we can just put it up for a vote.

@ ShadowLBlue ShadowLBlue I agree to the Palutena rule.

I thought we got rid of the outside help rule, if the fighter could make the help come to the arena.
Yes, but the rule also specifies temporary summons, with the exception of Rosalina obviously. Summons that come in and last as long as they can survive don't count. Which means Palutena shouldn't be able to summon Centurions. Also allies that can act on their own, against the will of the one their assisting don't count. That's why Alvis can't help Shulk.

Look at it like this: Ignoring durability, if your summon can take your place in the fight and operate with your assistance and you ever needing to do anything again (also assuming the summon can survive), it is banned. Alvis and the Centurions all fit that criteria.

Also, unless everyone else disagrees, I was working with the assumption we're only doing Smash 4 characters.

2 more proposals @ Nerdicon Nerdicon , @ Munomario777 Munomario777 , @Dryn , @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , @ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons ,

1) Only rank Smash 4 characters for the list.
2) Characters don't get access to items or powers that only appeared in one game and didn't really belong to them, I'd be interested in that. (Star Rod for Bowser and possibly Kirby, Sonic's Excalibur, full Triforce for Zelda characters, other examples I can't think of. I think Star Spirits should be an exception.)

Protocol 02

Smash Rookie
Just popping in to say that the pokemon trainer in smash along with the player character in Red/Blue/Yellow Firered/Leafgreen is cannonically pokemon trainer Red who cannonically defeats the league and completes his pokedex (catches all 151 original pokemon) tough it is debatable if he gets all 385 to gen 3 because of the remakes, but I'd say a team of six of the 151 should be fair.

Also, when kirby makes a helper its not exactly a summon it litterally creates a new being based on the copy ability or at least seems like it from the alternate color palette, the ability to change the helpers identity by giving him an ability and it becoming an item to be eaten by kirby.They also seem (if I remember correctly) to copy the abilities from an enemy on contact when theyre about to blow up, so in this case it would be a clone of Meta-knight, he also shows he can at least create mini bosses like bonker and bugsy from his copy ability so it could be possible to make Meta-knight with master ability. I'm honestly unsure if it would work its a kind of gray area in kirby's abilities.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Starman grants the user invincibility for the entire duration. Mewtwo has no such ability. Has Mewtwo mind controlled an opponent which is invulnerable to all other attacks before? If not, I have no reason to believe that he could.
If Kirby Dragons asserted that Mewtwo can mind control Mario, he'll need to prove that Mewtwo has the ability to mind control. Here's a logical reason why Mario can be mind controlled. In Super Paper Mario, Luigi is mind controlled. Since Mario and Luigi are similar, it's likely that Mario can also be mind controlled. The question is, when has Mewtwo ever mind controlled anyone? I only know of this happening in the first Pokemon movie, but I've been ignoring other media. You'd still need to prove that starman protects Mario from mind control, though, or that Mario's going to think, "I better use a starman so I don't get mind controlled!" It's not like Mario knows who he's facing.

I'd imagine that the Brawl character in question wasn't named "Pokemon Trainer" at his birth. What "rules of Pokemon" say that each Trainer can choose from any six Pokemon even if they do not possess said Pokemon?

...which this Trainer does not have.
We should use the trainer from Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, since that's what the trophy description is using.

I asked you (and everyone else who complained) what time would be better but not one of you have provided an alternative.
If we cut it down to 25 seconds, will that be agreeable to everyone? I'd like to clarify the turn rule only applies for buffs, debuffs and attacks that have a one turn start up or cool down.
Munomario777 reminded me. Anyway, the duration depends on how long it's portrayed in-game. From what I recall, poison in Pokemon lasts until an antidote is used, the Pokemon is taken to Poke center, or until the Pokemon faints. Burns do the same, though in reality, depending on what degree the burn is, it would take weeks at least to heal. As Munomario777 said, though, he thinks it might depend on character.

2) Characters don't get access to items or powers that only appeared in one game and didn't really belong to them, I'd be interested in that. (Star Rod for Bowser and possibly Kirby, Sonic's Excalibur, full Triforce for Zelda characters, other examples I can't think of. I think Star Spirits should be an exception.)
I don't mind if we're just working with SSB4 characters only. It wouldn't bother me either way if characters who had access to a weapon or item once don't have it in use here. (That means if you're going to add me to one side, be sure to count "1" for pro and "1" for con, or just don't add my opinion.) However, the Triforce would still be allowed for the Zelda characters. Ganondorf had access to the Triforce in ALttP and WW. Link had access to the Triforce in SS and ALttP. Kirby has also had the star rod more than once.

Last edited by a moderator:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Just popping in to say that the pokemon trainer in smash along with the player character in Red/Blue/Yellow Firered/Leafgreen is cannonically pokemon trainer Red who cannonically defeats the league and completes his pokedex (catches all 151 original pokemon) tough it is debatable if he gets all 385 to gen 3 because of the remakes, but I'd say a team of six of the 151 should be fair.
Who also canonically was beaten by Gold / Ethan, so he isn't insanely powerful. His Pikachu is crap so we can't even consider it (Volt Attack is a decent move but that's the things only saving grace). Espeon is worth mentioning since it has Psychic but also dies to dark-type Pokemon. The 3 Fully evolved starters while they pose a threat having access to their elemental 150 power moves those moves also require a recharge. Venusaur can heal itself and damage its target but almost all characters in smash have fire somewhere in their arsenal. And Snorlax the resting *****. Snorlax does pose a threat being a tank but also is hit decently hard by special attacks, and Idn if in either game Snorlax has Amnesia. So. Red while being strong has just as many weaknesses

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Haven't been here for a while.

Edit: I've just realized something. In Metroid: Other M, the hologram concerning the Queen Metroid says she is 6 meters tall, 11 meters long. I've been working with the assumption that the power bomb has a blast radius of 10 meters based on the official Metroid Prime Web site. However, the battle against the Queen Metroid shows that the room is at least two-and-a-half Queen Metroids, or 27.5 meters. Using TNT, this means the amount of time it takes for the power bomb to cover this distance is 0.0039855072463768 seconds. This means the yield of the power bomb is 1,212,920,542,968.76 joules, or 289.89 tons of TNT!
For a more accurate size:

This is just its normal pose. It can also lift its body off the ground.
And i don't think Power Bombs work like your common bombs. Explosion itself is always round like a sphere rather than being more...random in shape. And in Metroid Fusion, they also pull in X-Parasites somehow, but that might be just a side effect on them since it doesn't works on "Genesis" like this (they survive 1 power bomb before 2nd one kills them).
Also, if we are going with "best version is what we use" for weapons that had were different in different games, should Other M be used for Super Missiles (they certainly are stronger here), Power Bombs (which instantly kill what would take a lot of super missiles) and Ice Beam (here, it creates large...er...spires on hit if fully charged up)?
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, @Dryn , @ Nerdicon Nerdicon , @ Munomario777 Munomario777 , @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , @ Reckless Godwin 2.0 Reckless Godwin 2.0 , can we pause these ongoing debates so we can vote on a tier list? We can just resume these discussions in the new thread. Even if you don't want to make a tier list, you still might have a suggestion/question/complaint. If you're going to make a tier list, please be sure to put numbers besides the characters. Also, if you only want to make tier list of only the top 20 or so that's fine, since tbh that's what the majority of this thread has gone towards.

I'll repost my tier list

S tier
1:4bowser:
-I think with Star Rod, he should be able to take down Sonic since the Star Rod grants all wishes and only takes a few seconds to activate. He's quite durable, so I think he could get the wish off before even Sonic has time to turn Super and kill him. He asks for invincibility (intangibility against Sonic), then from there has a variety of options.
2:4sonic:
Can turn into Super Sonic, which makes him able to move at light speed if need be. Also is nearly invincible, vulnerable only to mental attacks, and the strongest of attacks (in theory). But with 999,999 rings (thanks to Chao Garden according to Munomario) he'll last too long for the few people who could beat regular Sonic.

A tier
3:4samus: Unlimited ammo on many of her weapons, can can turn into a invincible, supersonic moving when she needs to go on defense (takes 1 second of running to activate.)
4:4link: Composite Link, with access to equipment and items from all of his games. Chateau Romani gives 3 days of unlimited magic, which means he can use Magic Cape (makes him intangible and invulnerable) defensively while spamming his ice/fire rods and medallions. Also has 250k rupees to power his magic suit in the rare event his 3 days of magic depletes or if he wants to be more offensive (he can't use other magic items while using magic cape)
5:4tlink:Lacks as much offense, as composite Link, and chataeu romani, but still has magic armor plus 250k rupees, which should let him outstall even Kirby.
6:4kirby: multiple guards that grant near or total invincibility, the warp star moves at high speeds, hypernova swallows almost anything (albeit is a one time use skill), and has a variety of projectiles.
7:4palutena:Access to all the powers (albeit with limited uses) from Uprising, the various light powers her staff provides, flight and the Palutena's Bow.
8:4pit:
9:4darkpit:
10:rosalina: Can summon Lumas that turn into stars or black holes. Also has a near-impenetrable shield. Has access to one of every power-up from Super Mario 3D world.
11:4ganondorf: Can't be killed by non-holy attacks, although he can be sealed/trapped in other dimension. As far as I know Kirby lacks holy attacks, but Palutena (being a god) and Rosalina (trap him in a black hole) have the edge over Ganondorf but not Kirby, thus Ganon being placed below someone he can beat. Ganondorf can turn invisible and intangible temporarily, fire magical balls, and wield 2 swords at once. As Ganon he can do the above except also wield a trident which shoots out lightning. Only thing Ganon can't do that Ganondorf can is float.
12:mewtwomelee:
13:4ness:
-Give Mewtwo the edge over Ness because although Ness can fully recover all HP for a tiny fraction of his total PP, and has a shield which halves damage while reflecting some, I believe Mewtwo can out last him by peppering him with his variety of specials. Mewtwo can put up a light screen (raises defense by 100%) and than copy either Ness's shield or healing move and out last him.

Tier B:
14:4megaman:
15:4robinf: Can switch classes during battle to fit best situation. Best offense in general though is as a sorceror, where Aversa's Night guarantees she recovers health = 50% of damaged deal with each attack; the skill sol guarantees she gets 100% every other attack. Vantage (when she's under 50% health) acts like visions. Armsthrift makes her not need to worry about durability. Can change into a flier for evasion while attacking from up high with attacks. Changing into a general makes him a stone wall.

16:mario2:
17:luigi2:
18:4fox:
19:4falco:
- w/vehicles. Barrel Roll can block even lasers. Below 64. Mario Bros because between their various invincibility granting items plus using Barry to reflect lasers, I think they could probably win. Unsure though.
Tier C
20:4charizard: Double team makes illusions that can boost his evasion by 300%, and going off the anime, these illusions can appear to attack. Then Charizard attacks with an AOE attack to catch MK from flying around too much. Flight gives it edge over other Pokemon.
21:4lucario:
22:4pikachu:
23:4greninja:
-various projectiles, protect and dodging techniques put them over the FE characters.
24:4peach: Rose since my last list. Her parasol blocks almost any attack, she has access to Pixls that make untouchable and can reflect any attack, plus a bomb and hammer pixl, not to mention her power-ups fro 3D world, has healing skills (Therapy only costs 2 of her 99 FP), and Psych Bomb (15 fp) which is an AoE attack that can't be resisted. Has a variety of items to restore FP should see run out. She can use Carry to move and guard with her parasol.
25:4myfriends:skills: Counter, Limit Breaker, Aether, Armsthrift, Cancel
-Despite all the discussion about Nihil, I'm dropping it for Limit Breaker, for 2 reasons: 1) We can't agree if Nihil works on only skills, skills and advanced attacks, and if it should only apply to automatic advanced attacks/skills or manual ones to. 2) Cancel negates counterattacks (requires Ike to attack first) when activated, and with Limit Breaker would activate every other attack.
-Rose since my last list because of Cancel+Limit Breaker, remembering Ragnell can attack at range, and Counter.
26:4marth: immune to all non-projectiles attacks except from manaketes (dragons)
27:4lucina: I feel as MK's size and quick flying speed makes him hard to keep track of and gives him the ability to just fly around these 2 FE characters It'd be like trying to bat a giant fly with an 8 inch sword.
28 :4wario2: Rose since my last list because I read about his disguises. Quick list of the relevant ones plus other transformations:
  • Sparky Wario - Wario can create electricity and light up dark places. Can shoot electric after certain events. This is activated by clicking the screen and Wario cannot move while sending out electricity.
  • Space Wario- Wario is equipped with a space suit and a laser gun, by touching the screen Wario fires in that direction.
  • Wicked Wario- Can Fly.
  • Jet Wario- can also fly, difference is it goes quicker horizontally but can't rise any higher than Wario can jump.
  • Dragon Wario- Can shoot fire
  • King Dragon Wario- Can fly and shoot fire that goes till end of the screen.
-Despite all this, is below the FE characters because none of his projectiles go fast except for his gun, and all of his power-ups disappear after a hit if I'm not mistaken.
29 :4bowserjr: That his clown car can fly and turn into a race car, plus has an indefinite amount of bombs, and he can breathe fire gives him edge over apes and most below him. Also has a snarl that paralyzes people who get to close.
30:4metaknight:
31:4falcon: Yes his car is fast and but as far as I'm aware all it can do is ram into people, and he can't go too fast since the arena is only 10miles by 10 miles and he wouldn't want to crash into a wall...
32:4dk:
33:diddy:
Tier D
34 & 35 :4zelda: :4sheik: Can use light arrows and the goddess items because she is good with magic. Sheik has all those plus is agile and has that vanishing bomb.
36:4pacman: Can shoot pellets. Also has one time use items that last for 15 seconds that let him: turn into metal, run around the enemy and create a ring that closes in and attacks, ground pound that also releases shock waves, shoot electricity
37:4zss: supreme agility, paralyzing gun, strong
38:4yoshi: Can eat people and turn them into eggs, and can throw eggs but has a very limited supply.
39 :4littlemac:
Tier F:
40:gw: Can make his body into anything seen in G&W, including a giant octopus
41 :icsmelee: 2 people with super jumping abilities wielding big hammers.
42:4drmario: Mario without the power-ups, badges or equipment, but can throw pills.
43:4villager:
44:4wiifit:
45:4duckhunt:
46:4dedede:
47:4olimar:
48:4rob: Outside of cameo appearances, only game is Mario Kart DS where his only move is spinning his arms like his side B.

I can't figure out who, but I'm missing a character or two...
To be honest, i don't know most of them, so, i can't really tell if its right. But i mostly agree with this one the most. Just one thing is rather weird in my eyes - why Diddy is so high? Especially when ZSS, Little Mac and Zelda/Sheik are lower.

Don't know was this brought up already or not, but isn't Kirby only 8 inches tall or somewhere around that size? Or this is ignored in this case?

As for which Pokemon Trainer is THE Brawl Pokemon Trainer, i'd say its Red since, well, he has gen 1 starters and Brawl Pokemon Trainer has them too. So, he should either be limited to those 3 or extra pokemons from fights against him should be included too.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That's a game mechanic. In other Mario games, he'll die instantly.
Yes, it does vary from game to game. I'm just using it as an example of characters being rather resistant to fire (as in, his clothes aren't getting burnt to a crisp).
Because the game is programmed that way. I don't know how many times I have to tell you that and the results I got from MM and TP. Take eight, individual bombs and let each one blow up at a time, rather than having eight go off at once. Link should lose two hearts by the time he's hit by the eighth bomb. If you add 1/4 eight times, you'll end up with 2. If you multiply 1/4 by eight, you'll end up with 2. Consider.

Taken separately, the bombs are more powerful than taken together. To me, this seems to indicate that either A) the health system is a bit messed up or B) somehow the Magic Armor/Heart Containers treat all explosions the same (or at least at this "low" level, explosion-wise). The latter is rather interesting to me, since this could mean that perhaps chip damage over time would be more effective rather than one big blast. A possible explanation for this is that the Magic Armor activates when Link is hit and uses X amount of Rupees to block any attack (at least up to a certain level).
You honestly think the speed will increase as Link falls? If not, then it would explain why Link receives the same damage from 10 meters or 100. The game would be programmed in a way so there is a set air resistance, so to speak.
Of course Link will accelerate at least for some time; he's going from jumping up to falling down due to gravity. An early terminal velocity would definitely explain it, though.
I'm thinking mostly in games like TP or SS.
Ah, I see.
With the exception of MOM if you wish to base the speed of the explosion off the visual data.
Yes, but the charge-up time would give Link a bit of time to react.
If Turbo Nozzle allows Mario to run on water, then that would mean he's at least running 30 m/s (67.11 mi/h). Thanks for helping quantify that. Unfortunately, I don't know if that's something Mario would be wearing and it is limited on water. Because of Mario's height (5'1") and body fat percentage (assuming it's 30%), he's probably 130 lb. (58.967 kg.) That might not seem like much, especially if anyone here is 130 lb. or more. But height plays a role. So if Mario rammed into anyone at 30 m/s, he would produce a force of 1,769.01, or 397.69 pounds-force. A boxer could still hurt Mario. At least we know a certain amount of force Mario won't get injured.
No problem. The Turbo Nozzle is an attachment to F.L.U.D.D (the water pack used in Mario's Down Special), so he can wear it and use it at any time.
As I said earlier, it should depend on the game.
Fair point, if I'm including WFT from her games, Wii Sports counts too.
Yup.
1. Were you trying to do only 10 for your list?
2. K.
3. And when Mario does this she can fly out of his range. Or teleport to the opposite end of the field. Mega Mushroom only lasts like 10 (or was it 25 seconds).
4. Understandable.
1. Yes.
3. How long does it take for Palutena to teleport, and how fast can she fly? The Mega Mushroom transformation is fairly quick, and the Ice Flower's freezing effect could help out here. Also, it is 25 seconds.
I'm sure I said all this many times before but it's not WW Link, and I'm using Toon Link, as in any game hes had his Toon Link appearance. In Four Swords Adventure DX he can get 999,000, which when split in 4 would roughly be 250k.
Ah, I see.
Oops, my bad on the Wisps. And I'm not against the rule, but I guess we can just put it up for a vote.
No worries. :) What's your vote on the matter then?
Yes, but the rule also specifies temporary summons, with the exception of Rosalina obviously. Summons that come in and last as long as they can survive don't count. Which means Palutena shouldn't be able to summon Centurions. Also allies that can act on their own, against the will of the one their assisting don't count. That's why Alvis can't help Shulk.

Look at it like this: Ignoring durability, if your summon can take your place in the fight and operate with your assistance and you ever needing to do anything again (also assuming the summon can survive), it is banned. Alvis and the Centurions all fit that criteria.
That sounds good to me.
Also, unless everyone else disagrees, I was working with the assumption we're only doing Smash 4 characters.

2 more proposals @ Nerdicon Nerdicon , @ Munomario777 Munomario777 , @Dryn , @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , @ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons ,

1) I'm fine either way to be honest. List me as indifferent.
2) Sounds good to me. List me as for, although the Star Spirits would count as allies.

@ P Protocol 02

While I'd prefer to use Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard (so count me for that side if it comes to a vote), I'll put up with using Gen 1 Trainer.

If Kirby Dragons asserted that Mewtwo can mind control Mario, he'll need to prove that Mewtwo has the ability to mind control. Here's a logical reason why Mario can be mind controlled. In Super Paper Mario, Luigi is mind controlled. Since Mario and Luigi are similar, it's likely that Mario can also be mind controlled. The question is, when has Mewtwo ever mind controlled anyone? I only know of this happening in the first Pokemon movie, but I've been ignoring other media. You'd still need to prove that starman protects Mario from mind control, though, or that Mario's going to think, "I better use a starman so I don't get mind controlled!" It's not like Mario knows who he's facing.
I believe that in the first movie, Mewtwo mind controlled Nurse Joy. That's where this stems from, IIRC. As for the Starman's resistance to mind control, as you pointed out in a prior post, magic and psychic attacks are rather similar. Starmen (and Mega Mushrooms if I'm not mistaken) protect Mario and co. from the magic attacks of a Magikoopa, so it seems likely that it would protect them from psychic attacks.
We should use the trainer from Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, since that's what the trophy description is using.
Sounds good to me.
Munomario777 reminded me. Anyway, the duration depends on how long it's portrayed in-game. From what I recall, poison in Pokemon lasts until an antidote is used, the Pokemon is taken to Poke center, or until the Pokemon faints. Burns do the same, though in reality, depending on what degree the burn is, it would take weeks at least to heal. As Munomario777 said, though, he thinks it might depend on character.
I agree that we should use the in-game data as a basis for how long attacks last, but of course, characters' unique resistances to that sort of attack should be applied as well. For instance, if a character is resistant to heat, then the fire should not last as long.
I don't mind if we're just working with SSB4 characters only. It wouldn't bother me either way if characters who had access to a weapon or item once don't have it in use here. (That means if you're going to add me to one side, be sure to count "1" for pro and "1" for con, or just don't add my opinion.) However, the Triforce would still be allowed for the Zelda characters. Ganondorf had access to the Triforce in ALttP and WW. Link had access to the Triforce in SS and ALttP. Kirby has also had the star rod more than once.
The Triforce doesn't belong to Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf though. (The rule in question says that if it's something that doesn't actually belong to the character, not if it was only used once, by the way.) Ganondorf wouldn't be able to do much with the full Triforce anyway, since he doesn't have an equal balance of power, courage, and wisdom. This can be seen in Ocarina of Time, where Ganondorf tries to use the Triforce and it splits up on him (with him getting the Triforce of Power, and Link and Zelda getting Courage and Wisdom respectively).

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
When Mewtwo teleports away and waits out the Starman, it teleports back to fight Mario. When Mewtwo teleports back, Mario uses the Statue Leaf/Lucky Bell to become a statue. Mewtwo teleports back, rinse and repeat. When Mewtwo runs out of Teleports, Mario uses his Mega Mushroom to squash Mewtwo like a Bug type.
Why would Mewtwo even teleport when Mario uses the Statue Leaf/Lucky Bell? It's not like Mario can do anything to it. And Teleport has 10 uses, you only mentioned three times Mewtwo would use Teleport.
As for mind control, Starman users are immune to magic attacks (as shown by the Magikoopas). If you can prove that Mewtwo has conducted mind control on an opponent with a similar level of invulnerability, then he gets to mind control Starman Mario.
Magic attacks, not psychic controlling. I still don't believe magic is the same thing as psionics.
Okay, I'll give you a reason. If we're accepting any unproven speculation, then I could just as easily say that Mewtwo can only mind control Nurse Joy. It's not disproven, because it never mind controls anyone else.
And Nurse Joy hasn't shown less mind control resistance than the other characters. Now it's disproven.
Speculation is not proof. If it is, anyone can just make up evidence to an unproven claim.
Undisproved speculation is proof.
In Majora's Mask, Chateau Romani gives Link infinite magic. In Wind Waker, the Magic Armor runs on magic. It's putting two and two together really.
That's what I'm doing. In Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, Kirby uses Master as a Copy Ability from Meta Knight. In Kirby Super Star Ultra, Kirby can turn his Copy Abilities into the representative for that ability.
And which one of those Helpers is Meta Knight?
You still don't get it, so I'm going to counter this with Chateau Romani/Magic Armor.

Which one of the magic items in Majora's Mask is the Magic Armor?

I'm fine with the trainer being Fire Red/Leaf Green only.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Why would Mewtwo even teleport when Mario uses the Statue Leaf/Lucky Bell? It's not like Mario can do anything to it. And Teleport has 10 uses, you only mentioned three times Mewtwo would use Teleport.
Unless Mario got up high with the Cape first and fell with the statue form at high speeds. The other seven Teleports would come from the unlimited amount of times Mario can use the Statue Leaf/Lucky Bell.
Magic attacks, not psychic controlling. I still don't believe magic is the same thing as psionics.
Of course, they're not the exact same, but it's the closest comparison we have in this case.
And Nurse Joy hasn't shown less mind control resistance than the other characters. Now it's disproven.
And Mewtwo hasn't been shown to mind control anyone else. Allow me to come up with another one. Sonic could explode the universe by doing an elaborate dance, because he has never been shown to perform said elaborate dance, so we don't know that it wouldn't explode.
That's what I'm doing. In Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, Kirby uses Master as a Copy Ability from Meta Knight. In Kirby Super Star Ultra, Kirby can turn his Copy Abilities into the representative for that ability.
The Helper from a Copy Ability isn't always the enemy that Kirby got that power from. Unless you can prove that the Helper for the Master Copy Ability is Meta Knight (and the same Meta Knight that performs the feats in the games/anime), then Kirby does not get Meta Knight to help him here. (Not to mention that it would violate the ally rule.)
You still don't get it, so I'm going to counter this with Chateau Romani/Magic Armor.

Which one of the magic items in Majora's Mask is the Magic Armor?
The Magic Armor has been shown to consume Magic (specifically that in Link's meter). Meta Knight has not been shown to be a Helper that Kirby can summon.
@Dryn I'm fine with the trainer being Gen 1 only (though his position doesn't change on my tier list, since he can have Mewtwo, plus five other Pokemon).
But Mewtwo cannot "give him control over space, time, antimatter, dimensions, and effectively the universe," as you put it in your tier list. What is your new reasoning for this decision?

Also, I suggest that we start a proper vote as far as the Trainer goes. There are three options: only Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard (my vote), six Gen 1 Pokemon, or six Pokemon from any game.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Unless Mario got up high with the Cape first and fell with the statue form at high speeds. The other seven Teleports would come from the unlimited amount of times Mario can use the Statue Leaf/Lucky Bell.
And Mario can't use the Cape Flower and Statue Leaf/Lucky Bell at the same time, plus he only has one of each. How would he keep getting up there? Not to mention, Mewtwo could just dodge Mega Mario if it comes to it.
Of course, they're not the exact same, but it's the closest comparison we have in this case.
Not that close, really.
And Mewtwo hasn't been shown to mind control anyone else. Allow me to come up with another one. Sonic could explode the universe by doing an elaborate dance, because he has never been shown to perform said elaborate dance, so we don't know that it wouldn't explode.
Mewtwo didn't control anyone else, because he didn't need to. Nothing in the Sonic games suggests Sonic can do that, you made that up with no support behind it.
The Helper from a Copy Ability isn't always the enemy that Kirby got that power from. Unless you can prove that the Helper for the Master Copy Ability is Meta Knight (and the same Meta Knight that performs the feats in the games/anime), then Kirby does not get Meta Knight to help him here. (Not to mention that it would violate the ally rule.)
No, but the Helper is always an enemy that he can get the ability from. MK is the only way Kirby can get Master.

@ ShadowLBlue ShadowLBlue I don't really see why summons that last the whole time should be excluded.
The Magic Armor has been shown to consume Magic (specifically that in Link's meter). Meta Knight has not been shown to be a Helper that Kirby can summon.
And Magic Armor has not been shown to be an item affected by the Chateau Romani. Helper is shown to create the representative for each Copy Ability, and Meta Knight represents a Copy Ability.
But Mewtwo cannot "give him control over space, time, antimatter, dimensions, and effectively the universe," as you put it in your tier list. What is your new reasoning for this decision?
I'll change that.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
And Mario can't use the Cape Flower and Statue Leaf/Lucky Bell at the same time, plus he only has one of each. How would he keep getting up there? Not to mention, Mewtwo could just dodge Mega Mario if it comes to it.
When Mario equips a power-up when he already has one active, it goes back to his reserves, so he can cycle through them as many times as he likes (unless he gets hit, of course). The Cape wouldn't be necessary, though, since Tanooki Mario (from SMB3) can both fly and turn into a statue. As for Mewtwo dodging it, the Ice Flower could keep him in place.
Not that close, really.
Do you have a closer comparison, then?
Mewtwo didn't control anyone else, because he didn't need to. Nothing in the Sonic games suggests Sonic can do that, you made that up with no support behind it.
I dunno, I'd say mind controlling your enemy would be an effective way of getting things done.

You said that "undisproved speculation is proof". I provided undisproved speculation to show you how ridiculous this claim is.
No, but the Helper is always an enemy that he can get the ability from. MK is the only way Kirby can get Master.
Actually, Kirby gets the Master ability from the Galaxia, which is Meta Knight's sword, so if anything, it would just create a sword (which Kirby already has thanks to having Master). Also note that Kirby does not inhale the sword, which happens for all enemies that he can recreate via the Helper-creating ability (unless there's an exception that I'm not aware of).
@ ShadowLBlue ShadowLBlue And Magic Armor has not been shown to be an item affected by the Chateau Romani. Helper is shown to create the representative for each Copy Ability, and Meta Knight represents a Copy Ability.
Magic Armor has been shown to be affected by the magic meter. Chateau Romani has been shown to affect that same magic meter. When is it shown that Meta Knight represents the Master ability to the point of Kirby recreating him as a Helper?

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
All right people (@Dryn , @ Munomario777 Munomario777 , @ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons , @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , and others), here's our options for Pokemon Trainer. We will just go with whatever gets the most votes. Please list, in order, you're most preferred to least preferred option.:
  1. PT gets only Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard
  2. Uses the same ones as Red used in Pokemon Gold since some people think he's Red.
  3. Gets access to any 6 Pokemon from 1st 3 gens.
My preference is, in order, 2,1,3. 2 Gives us 6 Pokemon with a defined moveset. Giving him access to any 6 from the first generation would be hectic.
While we're on the subject, 2 Pokemon Trainer specific rule proposals, vote for or against and (please list for or against somewhere in your post):
  1. Pokemon Trainer can't be hit. He's commanding from some far off location.
  2. Only one Pokemon at a time. If you oppose this, you're saying he can use however many he wants at once.
  3. As in the games, only one Pokemon (excluding Kygore/Groudon if you vote he should get access to all Pokemon from 1st 3 gens) can Mega Evolve per battle.

Just FYI, the only time he used mind control was in that movie. Unlike memory wipe, we never see it done on screen so we don't really know how it works.

So you're saying he should be the ultimate version of what the Pokemon Trainer from Red/Green can be? Or are you saying he should be Red?

That rule wasn't made for Pokemon specifically since the only move that would qualify is Sleep, because Poison and Burn last all battle and I don't believe there are any freezing moves. The turn based system doesn't really vary between characters imo. What's wrong with 20 seconds per turn (for the user and enemy combined, not each)?

Kirby's only had the Star Rod once, in Kirby's Dream Land and the remake.
Ganon never actually touched the Triforce in WW so I wouldn't count that. But good point on Link. But the difference between the Triforce vs the Chaos Emeralds or Star Rod (Kirby) is Sonic and Kirby can easily get those at any time, while the Zelda characters would take much longer to get the Triforce if you know what I mean.

To be honest, i don't know most of them, so, i can't really tell if its right. But i mostly agree with this one the most. Just one thing is rather weird in my eyes - why Diddy is so high? Especially when ZSS, Little Mac and Zelda/Sheik are lower.
Well Zelda/Shiek should probably be over the monkeys on account of their magic. As for why he's over Little Mac, he's just a boxer to my knowledge. A very strong one, but nothing special defensively or agility wise. Diddy Kong can keep him at bay with his peanut gun, and he's probably more agile and has equivalent strength up close. As for ZSS, if I'm not mistaken she only has one energy tank so I don't think she can survive too many attacks. Given her superhuman athleticism and paralyzing gun, I'd give her the edge if she had more health. If she has other skills from Other M, let me know.

Don't know was this brought up already or not, but isn't Kirby only 8 inches tall or somewhere around that size? Or this is ignored in this case?
He and the other Kirby characters are, but Kirby and MK fly very fast (Kirby on his warp Star), plus Kirby has a variety of invincible or nigh-invincible guards and multiple projectiles.

1. Yes.
3. How long does it take for Palutena to teleport, and how fast can she fly? The Mega Mushroom transformation is fairly quick, and the Ice Flower's freezing effect could help out here. Also, it is 25 seconds.
I'll have to get back to you on the teleport, but I'm confident she flies fast enough to be out of Mega Mario's reach if she starts as soon as she sees him growing big.
And if you're implying he can throw and ice ball at her while she's flying, I'm pretty sure his magic balls always go down if fired in the air.

No worries. :) What's your vote on the matter then?
Eh, undecided leaning towards For though.

1) I'm fine either way to be honest. List me as indifferent.
2) Sounds good to me. List me as for, although the Star Spirits would count as allies.
1) We might as well allow it since everyone's so caught up and no is really opposed...
2) Star Spirits don't help him enough for me to disagree.

@ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons
Like I said, Kirby summoning MetaKnight or any helper violates the ally rule. Also, as fellow Kirby fanatic Nerdicon pointed out, he only has access to it because MK loaned him the sword. That's quite literally MK's sword. That definitely counts as ally assistance so this whole discussion is a moot point.

And as for why summons that last the whole time don't count, it's because they are acting as allies where as Sora summoning Dumbo or an FF character using an Esper are just another form of attacking/defending/supporting. It's the difference between calling for a lifeline on gameshow versus calling and staying on the phone with them the whole time so you can try to win the game show with your combined knowledge.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
All right people (@Dryn , @ Munomario777 Munomario777 , @ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons , @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , and others), here's our options for Pokemon Trainer. We will just go with whatever gets the most votes. Please list, in order, you're most preferred to least preferred option.:
  2. Uses the same ones as Red used in Pokemon Gold since some people think he's Red.
My preference is, in order, 2,1,3. 2 Gives us 6 Pokemon with a defined moveset. Giving him access to any 6 from the first generation would be hectic.
While we're on the subject, 2 Pokemon Trainer specific rule proposals, vote for or against and (please list for or against somewhere in your post):
  2. Only one Pokemon at a time. If you oppose this, you're saying he can use however many he wants at once.
  3. As in the games, only one Pokemon (excluding Kygore/Groudon if you vote he should get access to all Pokemon from 1st 3 gens) can Mega Evolve per battle.
My preference is 1, 2, 3, for reasons I've mentioned before. As for the proposals:
  1. Against. The Trainer still has to throw out his Pokemon, and we shouldn't just let him be outside of the arena for no good reason.
  2. Against. That's mainly due to the implied rules of a Pokemon battle, and in doubles battles and such, multiples can be out at once.
  3. If there's a logical reason for it (i.e. only having one Mega Stone), I'm for. If it's just because of the rules of a Pokemon battle, then I'm against.
I'll have to get back to you on the teleport, but I'm confident she flies fast enough to be out of Mega Mario's reach if she starts as soon as she sees him growing big.
And if you're implying he can throw and ice ball at her while she's flying, I'm pretty sure his magic balls always go down if fired in the air.
Are you sure? The Mega Mushroom transformation doesn't interrupt Mario's movement at all, and in just a second, he's ready to crush foes.
The Cape would allow him to get up high enough to be above Palutena and fire the ice at her. By the way, do you think that we should let the Cape stack with other power-ups or not?
Eh, undecided leaning towards For though.

1) We might as well allow it since everyone's so caught up and no is really opposed...
2) Star Spirits don't help him enough for me to disagree.
M'kay.
@ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons
Like I said, Kirby summoning MetaKnight or any helper violates the ally rule. Also, as fellow Kirby fanatic Nerdicon pointed out, he only has access to it because MK loaned him the sword. That's quite literally MK's sword. That definitely counts as ally assistance so this whole discussion is a moot point.

And as for why summons that last the whole time don't count, it's because they are acting as allies where as Sora summoning Dumbo or an FF character using an Esper are just another form of attacking/defending/supporting. It's the difference between calling for a lifeline on gameshow versus calling and staying on the phone with them the whole time so you can try to win the game show with your combined knowledge.
Mmmhmm.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
When Mario equips a power-up when he already has one active, it goes back to his reserves, so he can cycle through them as many times as he likes (unless he gets hit, of course). The Cape wouldn't be necessary, though, since Tanooki Mario (from SMB3) can both fly and turn into a statue. As for Mewtwo dodging it, the Ice Flower could keep him in place.
Mewtwo could just dodge the iceball, or send it back. Mewtwo can easily dodge whatever Mario throws at him, without Teleport, thanks to his evasion.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Mewtwo could just dodge the iceball, or send it back. Mewtwo can easily dodge whatever Mario throws at him, without Teleport, thanks to his evasion.
The attacks that would send back the ice ball have a limited use, and I can't find a source for Pokemon having an individual "evasion" stat.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
The attacks that would send back the ice ball have a limited use, and I can't find a source for Pokemon having an individual "evasion" stat.
Mewtwo's telekinesis doesn't have a limited use, and flight can be used indefinitely, for evasion or whatever.

Magic is too far from psionics to be any comparison, by the way.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Mewtwo's telekinesis doesn't have a limited use, and flight can be used indefinitely, for evasion or whatever.

Magic is too far from psionics to be any comparison, by the way.
Mewtwo's psychic powers have been shown to have a limited use, and his telekinesis is one of his psychic powers. I agree that he can fly indefinitely, though, since it seems to be in at least Mega Mewtwo Y's idle animation (and idle animations don't use up PP as far as I'm aware :p).

Again, do you have anything closer to psychic abilities in the Marioverse to use for a comparison?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Mewtwo's psychic powers have been shown to have a limited use, and his telekinesis is one of his psychic powers. I agree that he can fly indefinitely, though, since it seems to be in at least Mega Mewtwo Y's idle animation (and idle animations don't use up PP as far as I'm aware :p).
Some of them have PP, but others have been shown to not have PP. Flying will let Mewtwo dodge pretty much whatever Mario throws at him, while he can annihilate the plumber from above using things like Hyper Beam, Thunder, or Shadow Ball. If Mario flies after him, Mewtwo sends him back with TK.

Again, do you have anything closer to psychic abilities in the Marioverse to use for a comparison?
Pretty much anything is just as close, really. Lava, crushing, black holes, etc.

I also propose we take a vote on outside help. @ Nerdicon Nerdicon @Dryn @ Reckless Godwin 2.0 Reckless Godwin 2.0 @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros
Should outside help
  • be completely disallowed?
  • be allowed in summons that disappear?
  • be allowed in any summon?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Some of them have PP, but others have been shown to not have PP.
When were they shown not to have PP?
Flying will let Mewtwo dodge pretty much whatever Mario throws at him, while he can annihilate the plumber from above using things like Hyper Beam, Thunder, or Shadow Ball. If Mario flies after him, Mewtwo sends him back with TK.
Flying isn't enough to dodge any attack; speed whilst flying is the key (as well as reaction time). Also, I'd like to point out that Ice Mario can shoot ice attacks in multiple directions at once by performing a Spin Jump (in the New Super Mario Bros. series, he will shoot to both sides, so it's safe to assume that in a 3D environment, he would shoot in many different directions; plus, a similar technique can be used with F.L.U.D.D.).
Pretty much anything is just as close, really. Lava, crushing, black holes, etc.
Magic and psychic abilities are similar in that they're rather supernatural, as well as the fact that they haven't really been observed in real life.
I also propose we take a vote on outside help. @ Nerdicon Nerdicon @Dryn @ Reckless Godwin 2.0 Reckless Godwin 2.0 @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros
Should outside help
I agree with what @ ShadowLBlue ShadowLBlue said. "Ignoring durability, if your summon can take your place in the fight and operate with your assistance and you ever needing to do anything again (also assuming the summon can survive), it is banned." Of course, this may need some tweaking as we run into problems, but it seems like a good place to start. I would take this as the ally being able to do something of any real value without the main character doing anything, regardless of whether or not it would be beneficial. I also think that the character should start off on their own (barring cases like Rosaluma, Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, etc. where the character in Smash includes multiple entities), and any ally assistance must be somehow summoned after that.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
When were they shown not to have PP?
When Mewtwo didn't run out of them. But even if they do have PP, it's not like we can use it, because we don't know what it is.
Flying isn't enough to dodge any attack; speed whilst flying is the key (as well as reaction time). Also, I'd like to point out that Ice Mario can shoot ice attacks in multiple directions at once by performing a Spin Jump (in the New Super Mario Bros. series, he will shoot to both sides, so it's safe to assume that in a 3D environment, he would shoot in many different directions; plus, a similar technique can be used with F.L.U.D.D.).
He might shoot in a horizontal circle around him, but not up. How high is the Spin Jump? Not high enough to reach a flying Mewtwo, I'm guessing.
Magic and psychic abilities are similar in that they're rather supernatural, as well as the fact that they haven't really been observed in real life.
Even then, they're still quite different.
  • Psychic powers are conducted by the mind, while magic powers are conducted by books, wands, and other items (mainly).
  • Psionics are a force inside someone, while magic is an external force that is tapped into.
  • Magic can grant access to psionics, but not vise versa.
I think they're too different to be compared here. There's not anything that Invincible Mario can deal with that is similar to Mewtwo's psionics.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
When Mewtwo didn't run out of them. But even if they do have PP, it's not like we can use it, because we don't know what it is.
How many times has Mewtwo consecutively used telekinesis in one scene?
He might shoot in a horizontal circle around him, but not up. How high is the Spin Jump? Not high enough to reach a flying Mewtwo, I'm guessing.
Mario could use the Cape to fly up high enough to catch Mewtwo, and them perform this move with the Ice Flower equipped while at that height.
Even then, they're still quite different.
  • Psychic powers are conducted by the mind, while magic powers are conducted by books, wands, and other items (mainly).
  • Psionics are a force inside someone, while magic is an external force that is tapped into.
  • Magic can grant access to psionics, but not vise versa.
I think they're too different to be compared here. There's not anything that Invincible Mario can deal with that is similar to Mewtwo's psionics.
  • There are examples of magic powers being controlled by the mind (or at least without using a physical object). One example that comes to mind is Link's Magic Armor from Wind Waker. It's magical, and Link doesn't have to move a muscle to activate it.
  • Magic can be contained inside someone as well. Again, Link comes to mind with his magic meter.
  • As I said above, magic can be controlled by the mind.
Similarly, I could state that there's nothing similar to Invincible Mario that Mewtwo's psionics can deal with.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
How many times has Mewtwo consecutively used telekinesis in one scene?
Not sure, but he crushed 3 Pokeballs at once one time.
Mario could use the Cape to fly up high enough to catch Mewtwo, and them perform this move with the Ice Flower equipped while at that height.
Nothing stops Mewtwo from using telekinesis to launch Mario downwards (or crushing Mario's head). Also, Mario would fall a bit while switching to the Ice Flower, a time when Mewtwo could fly higher than Mario can rise with the Spin Jump.
  • There are examples of magic powers being controlled by the mind (or at least without using a physical object). One example that comes to mind is Link's Magic Armor from Wind Waker. It's magical, and Link doesn't have to move a muscle to activate it.
  • Magic can be contained inside someone as well. Again, Link comes to mind with his magic meter.
  • As I said above, magic can be controlled by the mind.
While magic is sometimes managed by the mind, generally it's not, and psionics are always operated by the mind. The magic is actually in the items, that's why the meter only drains when the magic items are active.
Similarly, I could state that there's nothing similar to Invincible Mario that Mewtwo's psionics can deal with.
Then we should call this a stalemate then. After eleven seconds of the battle, this question would be irrelevant anyways.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Not sure, but he crushed 3 Pokeballs at once one time.
Hmm, interesting.
Nothing stops Mewtwo from using telekinesis to launch Mario downwards (or crushing Mario's head). Also, Mario would fall a bit while switching to the Ice Flower, a time when Mewtwo could fly higher than Mario can rise with the Spin Jump.
The Starman would prevent Mewtwo from doing that. The Ice Flower transformation is practically instantaneous (the pause when he equips it in NSMB is a pause in the game as a whole, so that doesn't apply here), and the Spin Jump can be executed very quickly.
While magic is sometimes managed by the mind, generally it's not, and psionics are always operated by the mind. The magic is actually in the items, that's why the meter only drains when the magic items are active.
The magic is stored inside of Link. How else would drinking a potion give him more magic?
Then we should call this a stalemate then. After eleven seconds of the battle, this question would be irrelevant anyways.
I don't see how Mario being invincible to Mewtwo's attacks and being able to defeat him in that amount of time would lead to a stalemate. It would be irrelevant after eleven seconds, but Mewtwo would likely be dead at that point.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I go for 2. And i agree with those rules except for one. I think he should be able to have 2 (or 3?) at a time since it is possible since gen...forgot which one.
Well Zelda/Shiek should probably be over the monkeys on account of their magic. As for why he's over Little Mac, he's just a boxer to my knowledge. A very strong one, but nothing special defensively or agility wise. Diddy Kong can keep him at bay with his peanut gun, and he's probably more agile and has equivalent strength up close. As for ZSS, if I'm not mistaken she only has one energy tank so I don't think she can survive too many attacks. Given her superhuman athleticism and paralyzing gun, I'd give her the edge if she had more health. If she has other skills from Other M, let me know.
Actually, that happens only in Other M - in Zero Mission, she gets all energy tanks she gained before, but they are weaker...still give her enough health to survive something that should logically kill a human in one shot. And didn't ZSS had increased defence depending on how much energy tanks she collected in Other M anyway?
Should outside help
Completly disallowed outside of Pokemon Trainer and Olimar.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
The Starman would prevent Mewtwo from doing that. The Ice Flower transformation is practically instantaneous (the pause when he equips it in NSMB is a pause in the game as a whole, so that doesn't apply here), and the Spin Jump can be executed very quickly.
The Starman was already used, since Mewtwo used Teleport to escape and come back.
The magic is stored inside of Link. How else would drinking a potion give him more magic?
That's still just one example, when magic in fiction is mainly stored inside other things. Not to mention, it's Magic Armor, meaning there's magic inside of it as well.
I don't see how Mario being invincible to Mewtwo's attacks and being able to defeat him in that amount of time would lead to a stalemate. It would be irrelevant after eleven seconds, but Mewtwo would likely be dead at that point.
And how does Mario kill something with a Defense/Special Defense that high? And even if there's no Teleport, successfully doing the Spin Jump/Ice Flower would take more than eleven seconds, taking into account the height that Mewtwo and Mario would both be flying.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That's still just one example, when magic in fiction is mainly stored inside other things. Not to mention, it's Magic Armor, meaning there's magic inside of it as well.
It means it has something to do with magic one way or another, not that there is any magic inside of it. It just uses magic in its user to work.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The Starman was already used, since Mewtwo used Teleport to escape and come back.
Okay, then. Mario could use F.L.U.D.D.'s Rocket Nozzle to resist the downward force with an upwards one (and also eliminate the need for a separate flight power-up, so Mario wouldn't even have to equip the Ice Flower in mid-air).
Just because magic can be stored outside of the body doesn't mean it's inherently different from psychic energy. Also, just because it's called "Magic Armor" doesn't mean that the magic is stored inside of it. A wind turbine runs on wind, and the wind is not stored inside of the turbine, yet it is called a wind turbine.
And how does Mario kill something with a Defense/Special Defense that high? And even if there's no Teleport, successfully doing the Spin Jump/Ice Flower would take more than eleven seconds, taking into account the height that Mewtwo and Mario would both be flying.
He kills Mewtwo by freezing it and then crushing it with either a ground pound or a Mega Mushroom. And before you bring up Special Defense and all that, Mewtwo (along with all other non-Ice type Pokemon) can be frozen by attacks with that effect in the Pokemon games. This also prevents the Pokemon from using a move whilst frozen, even a psychic-powered one.

How exactly would using a Spin Jump with an Ice Flower equipped take more than eleven seconds? How fast is Mewtwo's flight upwards, anyway? Here's a video of the Rocket Nozzle in action, for reference.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Okay, then. Mario could use F.L.U.D.D.'s Rocket Nozzle to resist the downward force with an upwards one (and also eliminate the need for a separate flight power-up, so Mario wouldn't even have to equip the Ice Flower in mid-air).
Mewtwo could still send Mario downward. Mewtwo's telekinesis > Mario's F.L.U.D.D., seeing as Mewtwo was capable of crushing metal with it.
Just because magic can be stored outside of the body doesn't mean it's inherently different from psychic energy. Also, just because it's called "Magic Armor" doesn't mean that the magic is stored inside of it. A wind turbine runs on wind, and the wind is not stored inside of the turbine, yet it is called a wind turbine.
It is inherently different, because psychic energy is stored inside the body.
He kills Mewtwo by freezing it and then crushing it with either a ground pound or a Mega Mushroom. And before you bring up Special Defense and all that, Mewtwo (along with all other non-Ice type Pokemon) can be frozen by attacks with that effect in the Pokemon games. This also prevents the Pokemon from using a move whilst frozen, even a psychic-powered one.
And Mewtwo redirects Mario when he uses the Spin Jump, easily. The non-frozen Mewtwo dodges the ground pound/Mega Mushroom.
How exactly would using a Spin Jump with an Ice Flower equipped take more than eleven seconds? How fast is Mewtwo's flight upwards, anyway? Here's a video of the Rocket Nozzle in action, for reference.
The nozzle still has to charge up, during which Mewtwo could just fly back out of the way. Also, Mewtwo could take F.L.U.D.D. using Trick.

(NOTE: I'm not actually allowed to play/watch/look up Pokemon, I'm bound to what I know from others talking about it. If you want to know something about Mewtwo, you'll have to find it out yourself, sorry.)

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Mewtwo could still send Mario downward. Mewtwo's telekinesis > Mario's F.L.U.D.D., seeing as Mewtwo was capable of crushing metal with it.
How quickly has Mewtwo been seen to send something in a direction with telekinesis? Anyway, Mario could still attack Mewtwo with an upwards projectile. For example, Mario's various fire projectiles from Super Mario RPG don't seem to fall in an arc; they just shoot straight forward. He could, thus, aim them upwards without having to worry about gravity. This would cause Mewtwo to be "burned", which in Pokemon results in 1/8 of that Pokemon's maximum health each turn (so a Pokemon with 80 max HP would lose 10 per turn). An average turn in Pokemon seems to last for about 15 seconds, meaning that Mewtwo would die in about two minutes (of course, this is reduced by any other attacks that Mario uses, as well as the initial damage from the fire attack). At that point, Mario would just have to outrun Mewtwo, which wouldn't be too hard with the Rocket Nozzle.
It is inherently different, because psychic energy is stored inside the body.
And magic energy can be too. I don't see how where something is stored would make it different in a way that would actually matter in this discussion.
And Mewtwo redirects Mario when he uses the Spin Jump, easily. The non-frozen Mewtwo dodges the ground pound/Mega Mushroom.
And Mario uses the Rocket Nozzle to reposition himself. The frozen Mewtwo does not dodge the ground pound/Mega Mushroom.
The nozzle still has to charge up, during which Mewtwo could just fly back out of the way. Also, Mewtwo could take F.L.U.D.D. using Trick.
Mario could aim the nozzle to chase after Mewtwo. As for Trick, he could just use the Cape Feather, Tanooki Suit, etc. instead.
(NOTE: I'm not actually allowed to play/watch/look up Pokemon, I'm bound to what I know from others talking about it. If you want to know something about Mewtwo, you'll have to find it out yourself, sorry.)
I see. :/

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
:4pit: vs :4samus:
RULES!
1) The battlefield is a 10x10x10 mile area made of concrete surrounded by a 15x15x15 casing of completely indestructible material (so no running away)

2) If a character is forced into a situation in that they cannot retaliate, the match should be treated as a stalemate until decided on by the people

3) A vote is in order when a controversy with equally valid points is not resolved.

4) Any sort of limited resource (be it PP, ammo, etc) should stay limited, and cooldowns should be represented to as great an extent as possible.

5) Certain gameplay mechanics such as invincibility frames, collision detection, and certain boundary oddities should be ignored

6) If something is an ability of the character, it has place in discussion no matter how obscene or illogical

7a) Any abilities that the character has access to that usually can't be used, changed, or stored (class changing, weapon changing, abilities, power-ups) can.

7b) However, these what-if scenarios should adhere to other attributes of the character (Rosalina can only have one of each power, Kirby can't copy enemies because he's using copy essences, etc)

7c) With equipment like Shulk's Ether Gems or Pokémon held items, a standard should be established.

8) The standard hierarchy of discussion should be:
In game-lore >/= Gameplay > Alternate canon > Real world logic >>>>>>>> Assumptions

9) A claim backed by no physical evidence has no place in court in this discussion

10a) In the situation that two conflicting pieces of evidence have equal hierarchal status, whatever is the more common example gets precedence

10b) In the case that two conflicting pieces of evidence have equal hierarchal status and amount of appearances, then whatever makes the character stronger gets precedence

FIGHT!!!
Quick Comparison
Max Speed-:4samus:probably around 1,235 km per hour with the speed booster and around 3 times faster with the shinespark
:4pit: 1,350 km per hour with the Brawler Claws + some movement upgrades
Defense-:4samus: Powerful body armor that absorbs seemingly all blunt force so ZSS isn't harmed. Can heal via Concentration
:4pit:Rather frail defenses that can be boosted through certain weapon upgrades. Enters a crisis mode ___________when extremely low on health
Mobility-:4samus:Shinespark allows for a wide range of movement as well as the space jump for aerial movement
:4pit:Wings of Pegasus and the GST grant flight

OK! Now on to the meat of the discussion
Attacker: Pit
:4pit:'s attack: Laser Staff
The Laser Staff has a giant range (up to 123.2 meters) and gets to that range very quickly, it's rapid fire attack hits from 66.6 meters away and doesn't cause any knockback
:4samus:'s counter: Speed Booster
Samus can exploit the Laser Staff's lack of homing by using the speed booster to run away from the staff's shots

:4pit:'s attack: Brawler Claws
With the Brawler Claws, Pit can reach 1,350 km per hour to easily catch Samus and use the weapon's powerful melee attacks to harm her
:4samus:'s counter: Shinespark/Zoning
Samus would quickly realize that she's being bested in the speed department but she has a few ways to counter this.

• Samus could charge the Shinespark after running for long enough, the sudden stop would cause Pit (who has no effective braking method) to overshoot his target making him easy picking for the Shinespark
  • Samus could exploit the poor range of the Brawler Claws by shooting at Pit while he runs, slowing him down significantly

:4pit:'s attack: Ogre Club + Wings of Pegasus
By taking to the skies, the ogre club's reflection abilities are significantly increased allowing Pit to close in on Samus safely and use their powerful melee to attack her
:4samus:'s counter: Screw Attack/Shinespark
Samus would be quick to realize her ranged attacks are useless, so she could just wait for Pit to get close and use the Screw Attack to attack him. Alternatively she could just use the Shinespark to charge him

:4pit:'s attack: Guardian Orbitars
These orbitars charge shots fire protective shields to block enemy fire, while the rapid fire shoots small powerful shots
:4samus:'s counter: Hyper Beam
The Hyper Beam's high fire rate would quickly overwhelm Pit's defense giving him no time to retaliate

:4pit:'s attack: Three Sacred Treasures
A combination of the Arrows of Light, Mirror Shield, and Wings of Pegasus that have powerful homing charge shots, quick rapid fire with great homing, and decent melee power. The mirror shield is a mediocre source of defense.
Samus could easily avoid the shots by running from them, and then close in and attack

:4pit:'s attack: Great Sacred Treasure
A giant mech suit with multiple forms, though the first is the most powerful. It can shoot a storm of arrows, a large explosion, flaming shots, electric shots, water, tornadoes, large balls of fire and electricity, energy balls with a vacuum effect, a large laser, a giant laser that takes a while to charge up but instantly kills everything in it's range, fly, teleport, and execute a charging attack. Geez...
:4samus:'s counter: Oh boy...
So as for the storm of arrows and the huge explosion, Samus would probably be moving at the time anyway so these would probably miss...probably. All of the other attacks could easily be avoided, especially the huge laser. While Pit was charging the laser she could use a combination of the space jump and grapple beam to scale the mech and attack the defenseless Pit.

This is looking pretty bad for our angel here...

Attacker: Samus

:4samus:'s attack: Hyper Beam
A powerful, rapid fire beam that goes through walls and does not need to be charged in any way
:4pit:'s counter: N/A
Pit could dodge the beams for a while, but he'd quickly tire out and get hit quite a bit. The shots would kill him quickly

:4samus:'s attack: Power Bomb
A full screen explosion, nothing to see here
There's no way Pit could dodge this, the explosion would roast him.

Is there much need to continue?

In just these two attacks Pit is already beaten. Samus has other weapons in her arsenal but she doesn't need them here. Pit may seem like a solid contender on paper but he seems to be outgunned and outsmarted in this match.

Winner: Samus
I don't think Palutena will be happy about this...

Last edited:

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman

I agree with Dryn, the reason that 8 bombs did only a quarter of a heart is because whatever bomb exploded first forced the invincibility frames to activate, negating the rest of the damage. This is only a result of gameplay mechanics that are making the outcome different then predicted.

Braydon

Smash Ace
I'm beginning to think you people spend more time in this thread than on smash... How can anyone find the time to read this many massive posts...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
:4pit: vs :4samus:
RULES!
1) The battlefield is a 10x10x10 mile area made of concrete surrounded by a 15x15x15 casing of completely indestructible material (so no running away)
2) If a character is forced into a situation in that they cannot retaliate, the match should be treated as a stalemate until decided on by the people
3) A vote is in order when a controversy with equally valid points is not resolved.
4) Any sort of limited resource (be it PP, ammo, etc) should stay limited, and cooldowns should be represented to as great an extent as possible.
5) Certain gameplay mechanics such as invincibility frames, collision detection, and certain boundary oddities should be ignored
6) If something is an ability of the character, it has place in discussion no matter how obscene or illogical

7a) Any abilities that the character has access to that usually can't be used, changed, or stored (class changing, weapon changing, abilities, power-ups) can.

7b) However, these what-if scenarios should adhere to other attributes of the character (Rosalina can only have one of each power, Kirby can't copy enemies because he's using copy essences, etc)

7c) With equipment like Shulk's Ether Gems or Pokémon held items, a standard should be established.

8) The standard hierarchy of discussion should be:
In game-lore >/= Gameplay > Alternate canon > Real world logic >>>>>>>> Assumptions

9) A claim backed by no physical evidence has no place in court in this discussion

10a) In the situation that two conflicting pieces of evidence have equal hierarchal status, whatever is the more common example gets precedence

10b) In the case that two conflicting pieces of evidence have equal hierarchal status and amount of appearances, then whatever makes the character stronger gets precedence

FIGHT!!!
Quick Comparison
Max Speed-:4samus:probably around 1,235 km per hour with the speed booster and around 3 times faster with the shinespark
:4pit: 1,350 km per hour with the Brawler Claws + some movement upgrades
Defense-:4samus: Powerful body armor that absorbs seemingly all blunt force so ZSS isn't harmed. Can heal via Concentration
:4pit:Rather frail defenses that can be boosted through certain weapon upgrades. Enters a crisis mode ___________when extremely low on health
Mobility-:4samus:Shinespark allows for a wide range of movement as well as the space jump for aerial movement
:4pit:Wings of Pegasus and the GST grant flight

OK! Now on to the meat of the discussion
Attacker: Pit
:4pit:'s attack: Laser Staff
The Laser Staff has a giant range (up to 123.2 meters) and gets to that range very quickly, it's rapid fire attack hits from 66.6 meters away and doesn't cause any knockback
Samus can exploit the Laser Staff's lack of homing by using the speed booster to run away from the staff's shots

:4pit:'s attack: Brawler Claws
With the Brawler Claws, Pit can reach 1,350 km per hour to easily catch Samus and use the weapon's powerful melee attacks to harm her
:4samus:'s counter: Shinespark/Zoning
Samus would quickly realize that she's being bested in the speed department but she has a few ways to counter this.

• Samus could charge the Shinespark after running for long enough, the sudden stop would cause Pit (who has no effective braking method) to overshoot his target making him easy picking for the Shinespark
  • Samus could exploit the poor range of the Brawler Claws by shooting at Pit while he runs, slowing him down significantly

:4pit:'s attack: Ogre Club + Wings of Pegasus
By taking to the skies, the ogre club's reflection abilities are significantly increased allowing Pit to close in on Samus safely and use their powerful melee to attack her
:4samus:'s counter: Screw Attack/Shinespark
Samus would be quick to realize her ranged attacks are useless, so she could just wait for Pit to get close and use the Screw Attack to attack him. Alternatively she could just use the Shinespark to charge him

:4pit:'s attack: Guardian Orbitars
These orbitars charge shots fire protective shields to block enemy fire, while the rapid fire shoots small powerful shots
:4samus:'s counter: Hyper Beam
The Hyper Beam's high fire rate would quickly overwhelm Pit's defense giving him no time to retaliate

:4pit:'s attack: Three Sacred Treasures
A combination of the Arrows of Light, Mirror Shield, and Wings of Pegasus that have powerful homing charge shots, quick rapid fire with great homing, and decent melee power. The mirror shield is a mediocre source of defense.
Samus could easily avoid the shots by running from them, and then close in and attack

:4pit:'s attack: Great Sacred Treasure
A giant mech suit with multiple forms, though the first is the most powerful. It can shoot a storm of arrows, a large explosion, flaming shots, electric shots, water, tornadoes, large balls of fire and electricity, energy balls with a vacuum effect, a large laser, a giant laser that takes a while to charge up but instantly kills everything in it's range, fly, teleport, and execute a charging attack. Geez...
:4samus:'s counter: Oh boy...
So as for the storm of arrows and the huge explosion, Samus would probably be moving at the time anyway so these would probably miss...probably. All of the other attacks could easily be avoided, especially the huge laser. While Pit was charging the laser she could use a combination of the space jump and grapple beam to scale the mech and attack the defenseless Pit.

This is looking pretty bad for our angel here...

Attacker: Samus

:4samus:'s attack: Hyper Beam
A powerful, rapid fire beam that goes through walls and does not need to be charged in any way
Pit could dodge the beams for a while, but he'd quickly tire out and get hit quite a bit. The shots would kill him quickly

:4samus:'s attack: Power Bomb
A full screen explosion, nothing to see here
There's no way Pit could dodge this, the explosion would roast him.

Is there much need to continue?

In just these two attacks Pit is already beaten. Samus has other weapons in her arsenal but she doesn't need them here. Pit may seem like a solid contender on paper but he seems to be outgunned and outsmarted in this match.

Winner: Samus
I don't think Palutena will be happy about this...
Im not sure Hyper Beam should count and tbh, its just easier to Grapple Beam him and slam into the ground few times. That will kill him if it can instantly kill a giant lava fish that takes a lot of shots to kill by just slamming it into the wall. Well, that wall didn't even had a dent left, so, it is very durable, so, slamming into the ground will be a lot less effective than that, but still enough to break bones i guess.
I'm beginning to think you people spend more time in this thread than on smash... How can anyone find the time to read this many massive posts...
Some people can write really fast, some can read just as fast and some mastered both. All of those listed are here.

Last edited:

Reckless Godwin 2.0

Smash Apprentice
  1. :pt: Six powerful Pokemon give him control over space, time, antimatter, dimensions, and effectively the universe.
  2. :4shulk: The Monado lets him do anything he wants.
  1. How does some random pre-teen get 6 of the world’s most powerful Pokemon all to himself? What are all the other trainers doing? Are those Pokemon as strong as the Pokedex claims, as we all know a troll wrote quite a few entries in there?
  2. Agreed!
Alvis is a machine, and inside Shulk's sword, so why would he be disallowed?
Alvis is to the Monados as Fi is to the Master Sword, so Alvis is included. You should have Shulk replicate feats from the other two Monado wielders before resetting the universe though.
Something I've noticed in your list is how ridiculously high Mario is. He has no impressive feats, and everyone else on the list would curbstomp him 1,000,000 times in less than a day.
Agreed, I should hurry up and post Shulk vs Mario and knock him down a few pegs!

I guess you didn't read my tier list, but I'm not putting Nihil on Ike (although you're free to in your list or any hypothetical match-up), so I"m over this debate.
Okay.
Ah. He probably would have gone under Bowser Jr.
That’s awfully low. Even a standard Mechon M63 mook could do better than that.
2: You realize this rule would keep Sonic from using his Wisps right? And TBH I'm not crazy about this rule as you've written it. If you want to say characters don't get access to items or powers that only appeared in one game and didn't really belong to them, I'd be interested in that. (Star Rod for Bowser and possibly Kirby, Sonic's Excalibur, Triforce for Zelda characters, other examples I can't think of.)
Some wisps have appeared in more than one game.
I have a lot of comments on tier list, so I'm sorry but I'm going in bold again. I'm only addressing things I find as flaws, not subjective things.
Does that mean you have to take away the Monado as well?
Kirby can create allies out of copy abilities as seen in Kirby Superstar, so he technically isn’t summoning them.
Where does this 3 Days nonsense come from? The moon crashes in 3 days but that doesn’t mean the Chateau Romani will wear off in 3 days.
We shouldn’t be basing Sonic’s Ring total on some optional Mini-game. We should use the highest held total in a combat situation. If we used your logic Link’s Magic Armor can run off Rupees stored in a bank!
Falchion only negates all non-projectile attacks in FE1. It lacks this property in the sequels(FE3) and remakes(FE11 and 12), so it might have been retconned a long time ago(1994).

Wait, since when are we "nerfing" characters?
I enjoy the thought of kicking Sonic when he’s down(He’s my younger brother’s main and he never seems to lose).
Alvis is a Hom, and he is an ally, and he has been voted against, so he is not allowed.
Alvis is as much a Homs as TP Link is a Wolf. Deities of his power are perfectly capable of assuming false identities. Removing Alvis effectively means depowering Shulk as he gets his powers from him.
Link doesn't own plate armor, though (plus, it would likely impede his movement). Link doesn't seem to get rid of the silver scale once he gets the golden one, and they're very similar other than the color. Anyway, as I said earlier, I say we leave this up to a vote, especially since it affects many characters other than Link. So far, both Shadow and Kirby Dragons have voted in favor of the stacking, barring cases where it would be physically impossible (i.e. two pairs of Power Gloves).
I’m opposed to stacking since equipment always gets replaced or upgraded.

He should. He'd look more bad***. As for impeded mobility, that's untrue.
You do realize the problems that stem from heavy armor isn’t weight but from overheating right? This will get quite detrimental in extended battles.

Since this doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I suggest that we put it up to vote. @ ShadowLBlue ShadowLBlue @ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons @ Nerdicon Nerdicon , should eight bombs count as a quarter heart like they do in-game or two hearts like they would in real life?
2 hearts for 8 bombs, and when a enemy knocks him off a ledge he suffers damage from the attack and the fall. This ignores the mercy invincibility effect.
The impact would be lessened by distributing the force throughout the body. Seeing as how the norm for this is a quarter heart, this seems to reduce it to a very small amount.
I recall Wolf Link sustaining far more damage from falls, so you might want to take that into account in the future.

Ah, I see. I suppose that would really be dependent on the different effects of say, poison. Burns would take days, if not weeks to heal, especially from flames produced by fire-types.
I view burn damage as simply being on fire like in the Legend of Zelda series.

Who and what attacks would this apply to?
Yes, but the rule also specifies temporary summons, with the exception of Rosalina obviously. Summons that come in and last as long as they can survive don't count. Also allies that can act on their own, against the will of the one their assisting don't count. That's why Alvis can't help Shulk
One can argue Alvis only helped Shulk early on due to the orders of his master, and is only shown to use his power when one of the Monado wielders wills it.
Shulk never summons Alvis, as Alvis is already there in the form of the Monado.
Rank all Smash bros playable characters.

2/1/3
Against.
Against.
Against.
Why should Pokemon trainer hold back when villains like Ganondorf won’t.
Kirby also got the Star Rod at the end of Kirby’s adventure after reassembling it himself.

Should outside help
Outside help should only be allowed if it is a integral part of the character such as Pikmin, The Monado, Pokemon, Sonic’s wisps(they sound more like power-ups).

When I write up Shulk’s cutscene feats how should I order them? Chronologically or by Type(aka Strength, Reflex, Durability)?
I’ll put up rebuttals for Shulk vs Sonic and Mario when I’m done with that.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Haven't been here for a while.

For a more accurate size:

This is just its normal pose. It can also lift its body off the ground.
And i don't think Power Bombs work like your common bombs. Explosion itself is always round like a sphere rather than being more...random in shape. And in Metroid Fusion, they also pull in X-Parasites somehow, but that might be just a side effect on them since it doesn't works on "Genesis" like this (they survive 1 power bomb before 2nd one kills them).
Also, if we are going with "best version is what we use" for weapons that had were different in different games, should Other M be used for Super Missiles (they certainly are stronger here), Power Bombs (which instantly kill what would take a lot of super missiles) and Ice Beam (here, it creates large...er...spires on hit if fully charged up)?
Neat image. I was basing the Queen Metroid's height and length from the hologram about the Queen Metroid during a cut-scene. It gives the actual specifications. The power bombs in Metroid Fusion have been noted for their vacuum-like behavior. I've noticed more and more people bringing this up. This is why I suspect that the power bomb is a thermobaric weapon. It's dubbed "vacuum bomb". Furthermore, Adam Malkovich notes the power bomb's ability to vaporize and bendezium is an alloy that's known for its high melting point, yet power bombs are the only weapons capable of destroying bendezium and a similar metal known as denzium. Not all bombs produce heat wave of this sort, so yeah.

A thermobaric bomb can produce temperatures ranging from 2,500 to 3,000°C (4,532 to 5,432°F). I personally think MOM visually demonstrates all of Samus' weapons as the most powerful. Rhedogians in MOM are known for their extreme resilience. Beams, missiles, and even the screw attack (which OHKOs most enemies in MOM) take a number of hits, yet one power bomb will kill Rhedogians in one hit.

Yes, it does vary from game to game. I'm just using it as an example of characters being rather resistant to fire (as in, his clothes aren't getting burnt to a crisp).
His clothes are your typical dungarees. There's nothing particularly beneficial about his clothes. However, I was suggesting he be given the super suit. I'd like to find out what he's immune to with that as far as elemental attacks go.

Taken separately, the bombs are more powerful than taken together. To me, this seems to indicate that either A) the health system is a bit messed up or B) somehow the Magic Armor/Heart Containers treat all explosions the same (or at least at this "low" level, explosion-wise). The latter is rather interesting to me, since this could mean that perhaps chip damage over time would be more effective rather than one big blast. A possible explanation for this is that the Magic Armor activates when Link is hit and uses X amount of Rupees to block any attack (at least up to a certain level).
I'd agree that the bombs separately are more powerful because the damage is taken individually. I think the health system is fine the way it is, but only because it's been the type of health system that's been used all this time. I do not doubt that Nintendo could make it so each heart represents 5 parts instead of 4. (I am defining "heart parts" as the parts that make up the whole. As you know, one heart on-screen represents 4/4, so if Link loses one heart part, he'll have a total of 3/4 left.)

In TP, for example, Link is required to collect 5 heart pieces rather than 4, which is the typical amount in all other Zelda games. It might be easier to go with even numbers if you're going to break them apart in halves or quarters, though. Then again, if you halved a heart, Link would have lost 2.5 heart parts instead of 2 heart parts. So maybe that's not really the issue for why Link has a total of four heart parts.

Of course Link will accelerate at least for some time; he's going from jumping up to falling down due to gravity. An early terminal velocity would definitely explain it, though.
Acceleration is defined as speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction. Terminal velocity is when the falling object reaches a force and the air resistance pushing upward reaches a force that makes the net force zero. (Surprisingly, I defined that correctly. I feel proud of myself.) If I'm understanding this correctly, that means the air density would have to be much higher. If that happened, it'd be much cooler. At 0°C, air density is 1.292 kg/m^3. At -25°C, it's 1.422. So if Link fell 10 meters and reached terminal velocity, how high do you think the air density would be? How cold do you think Hyrule would be?

I personally think this requires too many assumptions, which we don't want. We want as few assumptions as possible and with those assumptions, we want to make sure it makes sense. An earlier terminal velocity would not explain it. I think what's actually happening is this. The developers have created a type of gravity for the game. This gravity is set in a way so that any drop will not have Link accelerate as he falls. Rather than an early terminal velocity, it's an instant terminal velocity because Link is not speeding up. This is all because the game is programmed that way. It's a game mechanic. Simple, fewer assumptions, and reasonable.

Yes, but the charge-up time would give Link a bit of time to react.
It might, assuming Link knows what Samus is doing in the first place. It might seem unusual for someone to change into a ball. Anyway, with all accel charges, Samus' charge for the power bomb takes almost a second, but somewhere between 800 and 900 milliseconds. This is much faster than what you saw in the video I linked you, though. However, for Samus charge beam, it's nigh-instantaneous. Well, at least to us who respond to things by milliseconds.

No problem. The Turbo Nozzle is an attachment to F.L.U.D.D (the water pack used in Mario's Down Special), so he can wear it and use it at any time.
I'm not considering the way Mario behaves in Super Smash Bros., though. Unless Mario isn't wearing something else on his back, it'll be fine for him to wear anyway. The downfall is running out of water, so I'm not sure if it'll be useful in battle.

I believe that in the first movie, Mewtwo mind controlled Nurse Joy. That's where this stems from, IIRC. As for the Starman's resistance to mind control, as you pointed out in a prior post, magic and psychic attacks are rather similar. Starmen (and Mega Mushrooms if I'm not mistaken) protect Mario and co. from the magic attacks of a Magikoopa, so it seems likely that it would protect them from psychic attacks.
I only find magic and psychic abilities similar in that if for example, a mage cast fire magic, that magic would be manipulating nature in a way to cause the atoms to produce a flame. I suspect someone who knows pyrokinesis would do something similar, only with his/her mind. Magic is more supernatural, psychic is more paranormal. Of course, that might mean nothing, since "supernatural" is from the Latin, meaning "above nature", whereas paranormal just means "beyond normal". So the semantics might not really matter. Ghosts are considered supernatural and paranormal, so yeah.

Anyway, I'm not sure what Magikoopas are capable of doing. If they've never demonstrated the ability to mind control, then I would disregard them. I suspect Mario can be mind controlled, but as far as I'm aware, Mewtwo isn't capable of doing that, so it's not really an issue. I'll be more than happy to defend Mario along with you, if you want me to. I've been thinking about defending Mario. After all, I've been wanting to see how the Nintendo Trinity (Mario, Link, and Samus) does against one another.

Sounds good to me.
Awesome. So maybe Pokemon Trainer could have Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise as his main three? (This would at least put Pokemon Trainer at his optimal level.) I would think adding three more would be good as well, just because all trainers can hold up to six. I think we'd all have to vote on what those other three Pokemon would be, though. Pikachu might be another viable option.

I agree that we should use the in-game data as a basis for how long attacks last, but of course, characters' unique resistances to that sort of attack should be applied as well. For instance, if a character is resistant to heat, then the fire should not last as long.
I agree.

The Triforce doesn't belong to Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf though. (The rule in question says that if it's something that doesn't actually belong to the character, not if it was only used once, by the way.) Ganondorf wouldn't be able to do much with the full Triforce anyway, since he doesn't have an equal balance of power, courage, and wisdom. This can be seen in Ocarina of Time, where Ganondorf tries to use the Triforce and it splits up on him (with him getting the Triforce of Power, and Link and Zelda getting Courage and Wisdom respectively).
Actually, Ganondorf would be able to use the full Triforce. How do you think the dark world came to be in ALttP? The way it was explained in OoT might need a bit more clarification. I don't want to spoil this next part, so I'll put it in a spoiler tag. Read at your discretion.

In Skyward Sword, Link proved himself worthy after passing the three trials that he actually came into possession of the Triforce and technically, it was part of him. He made a wish (probably a prayer or a thought, since he closes his eyes) to kill Demise and Demise was killed by being crushed.

As I told Munomario777, I think PT should get Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise because those are the full evolution of the three. I'm aware that they can receive a mega evolution, but using Fire Red/Leaf Green would ignore this option. I think the three starters should be at their full evolution because it puts them at their prime. To be fair, we should make sure all characters are at their optimal performance. I think Pikachu would be permissible (though not as Raichu because Pikachu has been the mascot, so to speak, of Pokemon and neither Red, nor Ash evolved Pikachu). I am not saying PT is Red or Ash, but I think a similarity would work.

Rather than PT being unable to be harmed because he's at a distance, I think for him, we should at least allow some form of honor. It seems to be the case for Japan (and possibly other Asian countries). If that seems to be a problem, then let's take it as, "I know I could kill PT, but that would be too easy. I want a challenge so I'll take on his Pokemon." Tell me what you guys think.

So you're saying he should be the ultimate version of what the Pokemon Trainer from Red/Green can be? Or are you saying he should be Red?
Well, if in every Pokemon game, the character is supposed to be named Red, then I suppose that's who PT would be based after. We would only be working with FIre Red/Leaf Green, meaning only TMs, HMs, and anything else within those games (or generation) can only be used by PT's Pokemon. This would negate the use of mega evolution as well.

That rule wasn't made for Pokemon specifically since the only move that would qualify is Sleep, because Poison and Burn last all battle and I don't believe there are any freezing moves. The turn based system doesn't really vary between characters imo. What's wrong with 20 seconds per turn (for the user and enemy combined, not each)?
I know. I was just using Pokemon as an example for the status effects and such. I'm not sure what you're trying to ask me.

Ganon never actually touched the Triforce in WW so I wouldn't count that. But good point on Link. But the difference between the Triforce vs the Chaos Emeralds or Star Rod (Kirby) is Sonic and Kirby can easily get those at any time, while the Zelda characters would take much longer to get the Triforce if you know what I mean.
Ah. I didn't know Nightmare in Dream Land was a remake. All right, I suppose that wouldn't be an issue. I'm just wondering why exactly we're ruling these out. Ganondorf had possession of the Triforce in ALttP, hence the reason why there was a dark world. He had full possession of it in OoT from what I recall. There's the part where he says, "These toys are too much for you. I command you return them to me!" In WW, he had possession of the Triforce again, but King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule touched it and made a wish first. I left a spoiler about Skyward Sword in my post to Munomario777.

Should outside help
I think summons should be allowed as long as they're summoned out of nowhere or if they're coerced. Concerning "out of nowhere", I would mean something like "using magic" or "willing it into being" such as oneself. In Kirby's case, I'd be fine with him summoning one character to assist him.

I agree with Dryn, the reason that 8 bombs did only a quarter of a heart is because whatever bomb exploded first forced the invincibility frames to activate, negating the rest of the damage. This is only a result of gameplay mechanics that are making the outcome different then predicted.
Thank you for your input.

You do realize the problems that stem from heavy armor isn’t weight but from overheating right? This will get quite detrimental in extended battles.
Interesting point. I didn't know that. I only addressed mobility because Munomario777 brought that up.

Man, this is the longest post I've had to write in a long time all because I had 8 people either quote, tag, or like my posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The power bombs in Metroid Fusion have been noted for their vacuum-like behavior. I've noticed more and more people bringing this up. This is why I suspect that the power bomb is a thermobaric weapon. It's dubbed "vacuum bomb".
But it works like this only on X-parasites and not on any of the creatures and mimicks (if they are mimicking someone, they just revert to original form or take damage in case of tough enemies like Genesis [those are creatures you can find near Ridley-X' boss room]), so, it most likely is a side effect of the explosion that affects only X-parasites.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
How quickly has Mewtwo been seen to send something in a direction with telekinesis? Anyway, Mario could still attack Mewtwo with an upwards projectile. For example, Mario's various fire projectiles from Super Mario RPG don't seem to fall in an arc; they just shoot straight forward. He could, thus, aim them upwards without having to worry about gravity. This would cause Mewtwo to be "burned", which in Pokemon results in 1/8 of that Pokemon's maximum health each turn (so a Pokemon with 80 max HP would lose 10 per turn). An average turn in Pokemon seems to last for about 15 seconds, meaning that Mewtwo would die in about two minutes (of course, this is reduced by any other attacks that Mario uses, as well as the initial damage from the fire attack). At that point, Mario would just have to outrun Mewtwo, which wouldn't be too hard with the Rocket Nozzle.
Rocket Nozzle is gone. Mewtwo could easily use Hyper Beam to destroy the fire projectile, also hitting Mario in the process.
And magic energy can be too. I don't see how where something is stored would make it different in a way that would actually matter in this discussion.
Like Dryn said, magic is supernatural, while psionics are paranormal. We should just agree to dismiss this part of the debate, though.
And Mario uses the Rocket Nozzle to reposition himself. The frozen Mewtwo does not dodge the ground pound/Mega Mushroom.
Rocket Nozzle is gone.
Mario could aim the nozzle to chase after Mewtwo. As for Trick, he could just use the Cape Feather, Tanooki Suit, etc. instead.
And Mewtwo strikes him out of the sky with a few Aura Spheres, Psystrikes, or Thunders.

Meanwhile, here's the results for my vote.
  • completely disallowed (BaganSmashBros)
  • allowed in temporary summons (Munomario777, ShadowLBlue)
  • allowed in any summon (me, Dryn)
  • allowed if integral part of character (Reckless Godwin 2.0)
Anyone else care to vote?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Meanwhile, here's the results for my vote.
  • completely disallowed (BaganSmashBros)
  • allowed in temporary summons (Munomario777, ShadowLBlue)
  • allowed in any summon (me, Dryn)
  • allowed if integral part of character (Reckless Godwin 2.0)
Anyone else care to vote?
Wait, i didn't noticed 4th one. Whoops. Then 4th one since Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, etc. are useless without that.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Wait, i didn't noticed 4th one. Whoops. Then 4th one since Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, etc. are useless without that.
Actually, the first option would still allow Olimar/Pokémon Trainer to use others, because they're part of the character in Smash. The fourth option allows things like Shulk getting Alvis, because Alvis is where Shulk's power comes from.

Top Bottom