• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

`dazrin

Smash Champion
LOL i tried going double TL with monk at FC... It didn't work LOOL

I guess that was in 2.1... But still haha
And yes, I plan on attending G3NESIS.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
daze, for Genesis 3, provided I can go, why don't we plan on getting there on Wednesday and just playing all day or something, lol. One more day won't hurt your wallet much and will be super worth it.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
LOL i tried going double TL with monk at FC... It didn't work LOOL
I blame the fact that we had very little synergy in those matches, lol. I do think that double TL could possibly work well but it would require that both players actually have a good plan/backups and don't run into each other. Maybe double TL would work better if both TLs didn't use as many projectiles to rack up damage and only used them if they know it will hit and lead to something?

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Yeah, I was gonna link that, lol. Idk, he just started getting me. I think the U-air kill at 86% kind of psyched me out. If I had stayed near the ground and kept chipping away, I may have won. Idk, it's really hard fighting Reflex. He's really good. I think TL vs Wario is better than Sheik vs Wario though. That's what it felt like to me anyways. :)

Here's the time stamp version:
Reflex(Wario) vs Okami(TL)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was gonna link that, lol. Idk, he just started getting me. I think the U-air kill at 86% kind of psyched me out. If I had stayed near the ground and kept chipping away, I may have won. Idk, it's really hard fighting Reflex. He's really good. I think TL vs Wario is better than Sheik vs Wario though. That's what it felt like to me anyways. :)

Here's the time stamp version:
Reflex(Wario) vs Okami(TL)
Yeah, I don't really care for fighting Wario, but I think the MU is pretty even.
Leffen made ZSS/TL look brutal, but I think he's just really good, wouldn't even let you breathe. I faced Vudujin's Luigi in some friendlies a while back, he does the same thing.
Before you're even finished thinking about what you want to do, they're in your face.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I actually really like fighting Wario. He's kinda floaty and slow so you can run circles around him. Reflex is just super duper good. I think the match up might be about 60-40 or so for TL. 55-45 at worst.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Hard hit of both, I assume, right? If so, can you combo something out of those two?
yeah I was thinking hard hit, you should be able to combo from it since it hits them up and away so the TL who is closest to them at that time will have ended their boomerang lag.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I agree with that, Okami. I feel like you could play against a Wario more or less like it was a puff with a worse recovery, but yeah I think Reflex is just a really, really smart player and won't be falling for any projectile tricks lol.

Probably 60-40 in TL's favor, but I don't have enough experience to know.

Also, I don't really like using the same projectile two times in a row, Jolt. Reason being is that a human being is not likely to fall into the same projectile twice in a row, and mixing up the options often keeps the opponent on their toes. At close range, I think you could do rang -> rang though, but I'd personallly rather follow up a nair or an approaching sh Arrow instead.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I meant as a team combo. :p

lol sorry I just realised how out of the blue my initial post sounded, I should have mentioned it. <_< I like nair as a follow-up in singles.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
I posted this in the social thread already, but if you don't already know it, this technique could actually be useful: <3% damage bombjumps. Here's a video demonstration. I've also tried doing it without slowdown by now and it's really not impossible to consistently.

What I did was just space the Up-B to hit the bomb as far away as possible and then ASDI away. Essentially just do a normal bombjump and hold forward on the control stick a bit before hitting the bomb. This is, where the bomb should touch the sword.

I hope this was helpful, have fun.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm going to try to consistently do that, but my first impression is that it looks really hard. Just knowing that you had to TAS it kind of intimidates me xD

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
GC is this coming weekend, im going to try going a more aggressive tink this time around

either that or go on a complete cycle of characters since i cant figure out who i wanna main competitively

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm going to try to consistently do that, but my first impression is that it looks really hard. Just knowing that you had to TAS it kind of intimidates me xD
It's not easy, but doable. I get it like 50% of the time my timing on the bombjump isn't off and I'm sure you can do better than me. TAS was just the most convenient way to quickly make a demonstration video. :)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Question, does it make a difference whether you throw the bomb forward or up when you AGT to aid recovery?
I always throw it up because it feel more natural since the control stick is already going up.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
GC is this coming weekend, im going to try going a more aggressive tink this time around

either that or go on a complete cycle of characters since i cant figure out who i wanna main competitively
I'll be there Calvo. Let's play a bunch of friendlies and share TL knowledge n stuff :awesome:

Question, does it make a difference whether you throw the bomb forward or up when you AGT to aid recovery?
I always throw it up because it feel more natural since the control stick is already going up.
I almost ALWAYS throw forward when recovering horizontally with AGT because:
A) The bomb covers your recovery and stuffs most edgeguarding attempts
B) You can sometimes just hit them if they're waiting in a dumb place onstage so it adds free damage/ distracts people. Can also sometimes follow up with a downair or some other move if the positioning is right
C) Why wouldn't you? Throwing up in the air doesn't do anything for you unless you intend to bombjump into it. If anything, you'd want to be throwing downwards because it drops the bomb into the blastzone and out of existence, which allows you to pull out more bombs for recovery usage since that said strat mitigates the 3bomb limit.

Also, use cstick to throw your bombs. It's just better in every way.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I do use c-stick to throw bombs, but sometimes when attempting to throw the bomb forward I get a zair instead of a bomb throw,which is instant death.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

The frame after you airdodge is when you're supposed to throw the bomb iirc. If you take WAY too long then you zair (you shouldn't be that late.)

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
daz, want to practice tink matchups while at GC?

i can play a fair variety of characters, like GNW, Falcon, Sheik, Fox (a little bit) Lucas (my lucas was better in 2.1 ;w;), and Ivysaur

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
The frame after you airdodge is when you're supposed to throw the bomb iirc. If you take WAY too long then you zair (you shouldn't be that late.)
Thats the issue, its easy to coordinate up-control stick and up-c-stick consistently. I pretty much NEVER miss AGTs or bomb jumps that way.
It's harder to coordinate up-control stick and right-c-stick.
Thus I pretty much always throw the bomb up to avoid killing myself.

D

Deleted member

I use the L button and C stick down or to the sides. I throw the bomb up if I need to bomb jump ofcourse.
If you can't throw the bomb to the sides very well, then you need to work on hand coordination. It's not hard.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Thats the issue, its easy to coordinate up-control stick and up-c-stick consistently. I pretty much NEVER miss AGTs or bomb jumps that way.
It's harder to coordinate up-control stick and right-c-stick.
Thus I pretty much always throw the bomb up to avoid killing myself.
THEN PRACTICE IT ON-STAGE WHEN YOU GET A KILL.

That is all.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Not the same yo, its different when you're facing the pressure of having to perform it, or die.
But yeah, I'll see if I can get the timing down.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
But if you practice it every time you kill someone, then you practice it A TON. It's something I recommend everyone do. Probably the advice I give out to people most. Along with "Play YL/Falco/Sheik." and "Get better."

No, but seriously, it eases the pains of practicing by yourself.

Top Bottom