• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

D

Deleted member

You're stressed and probably nervous about the situation if you DIRELY need it, resulting in lack of focus. Either that or you're so angry from missing it that you proceed to miss it by being stubborn. Or you're over exxagurating about never getting it when you need to.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
see, i wish i was exaggerating

but im not

i throw the bomb up

up b

and i dont hit the bomb, i just go high enough so that tinks head TOUCHES the bomb and leaves me hanging to die

D

Deleted member

:ltrigger: :stick8: :cstick8:
and then :stick8: :bbutton:
If you use those controls then you should have no problem, As long as you have the timing for bomb jump into up b learned. If you just really can't get it, then think about it. When I miss the timing for it, I can tell I was slower with the Up b.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
@Calvo

Sometimes if you don't time it well or smash the control stick well enough, you won't get the full momentum off of an AGT. It takes a bit of practice to get it down 100%. Also, I recommend using the AGT method Zach provided.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ill try it later today

dazrin are you going to GC?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Pretty much this lol.

I can't AGT with Tink or Link with 100% success.
You need time to pull out a bomb to AGT in the first place, hence why I'm insisting Toon needs to be able to recover quickly in situations that demand it.
There was a situation where the wolf sent you straight down. You'd be dead by the time you had a chance to pull a bomb out, so instead you up-B'd. Only Toon didn't have enough height to get back, which is just pathetic considering how LIGHT he is. If he had YL's height there, you would have sweetspotted the ledge perfectly.
I really won't let it go, I think as time passes, even players that are proficient at AGT will find themselves dying offstage at low percentages thanks to Toon's lack of up-B height.

D

Deleted member

Maybe not every character needs to have a good recovery. Toonlink is supposed to keep center stage with projectiles and smart decisions, so offstage acting shouldn't happen often. AGTs are fine as they are. However some characters should get changes imo, like diddy. his is 2gud.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
How does one AGT?

:phone:
This made me laugh.

(For people who don't understand, Frenum pretty much pioneered all of these crazy Toon Link tricks that proficient Toon Link mains commonly use. So pretty much my entire "How To AGToonLink" vid was stuff that he discovered.. well, most of it.)

Enter a tournament already! Also, now that OkamiBW is in socal, you guys can teach each other crazy TL tricks :<

so jelly

edit: @Calvo I was going to, but everyone else in BC bailed, so I'm probably not going to be there anymore :< ... maybe next time :p

D

Deleted member

Oh lol. Can't tell between joking or not on here since theres nothing obvious like a Kappa.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Maybe not every character needs to have a good recovery. Toonlink is supposed to keep center stage with projectiles and smart decisions, so offstage acting shouldn't happen often. AGTs are fine as they are. However some characters should get changes imo, like diddy. his is 2gud.
I don't think the overall MU ratios support that Toon is as good at stage control as suggested.
Falco has as bad a recovery as ever, but I don't think anyone would deny he's still near the top.
Toon himself still suffers from some on-stage weaknesses that don't give him as great of stage control as a character like Falco. Thus, it behooves him to have at least a decent recovery. I feel if the dev team examines this closely as they move forward with the game, they'll discover it to be true.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
TL's recovery is really good imo, not perfect as it still has some flaws, but good in a lot of important areas. It just feels really versatile.

Distance is always going to be a factor that makes a recovery good, but TL has a LOT of options when recovering which is imo way more important (see: Falco).

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
TL's recovery is really good imo, not perfect as it still has some flaws, but good in a lot of important areas. It just feels really versatile.

Distance is always going to be a factor that makes a recovery good, but TL has a LOT of options when recovering which is imo way more important (see: Falco).
TL has a lot of options when recovering from the right DISTANCE, as I explained earlier.
He has perhaps one of the worst recoveries when it comes to getting back quickly from a short distance. His 2nd jump is average, and its followed by a weak up-B that pretty much any character can intercept or edgehog. Trying to AGT or bomb jump from that distance is basically a death wish no matter how good you are at it.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
His 2nd jump is average, and its followed by a weak up-B that pretty much any character can intercept or edgehog.
Uh what? Furthermore, if you see someone trying to edgehog you, AD up and tether instead. If someone is going to try to hit you, up-b and you will usually be able to hit them away (unless it's an extremely disjointed move like Mario's dair).

I think you just need a bit more practice and experience with TL's recovery. Yes, it's not the best recovery out there, but it's definitely very much usable.

D

Deleted member

You're asking for way too much out of TLs recovery. lol.

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
Who cares what you ask for his recovery is what it is and if you are a TL user better get practicing because his recovery isnt changing. I personally thing its perfect. TL is by far my favorite character in PM and the most fun. The whole point about PM is to actually practice your character and find out what makes them special. I believe the AGT is that thing that makes TL special and when you incorporate his projectiles, spacing, and you sprinkle some mind games then you'll have quite a deadly TL no matter which opponent you face.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Who cares what you ask for his recovery is what it is and if you are a TL user better get practicing because his recovery isnt changing. I personally thing its perfect. TL is by far my favorite character in PM and the most fun. The whole point about PM is to actually practice your character and find out what makes them special. I believe the AGT is that thing that makes TL special and when you incorporate his projectiles, spacing, and you sprinkle some mind games then you'll have quite a deadly TL no matter which opponent you face.
That was quite well said, Stephen.

Yeah, I'm not sure what some of you guys mean that TL has bad recovery. Especially with like...a lot of us (name drop time: daze, Jolteon, etc.) saying that it's fine the way it is and that it's not particularly bad. If you are having trouble with his recovery, record some videos and we can tell you what you're doing wrong. That, or we can say that no one but Puff would recover. So blunt, lol.

Would you prefer: Perhaps those of you who are complaining are not recovering optimally. Would you mind posting some videos so we can see what you mean?

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
That was quite well said, Stephen.

Yeah, I'm not sure what some of you guys mean that TL has bad recovery. Especially with like...a lot of us (name drop time: daze, Jolteon, etc.) saying that it's fine the way it is and that it's not particularly bad. If you are having trouble with his recovery, record some videos and we can tell you what you're doing wrong. That, or we can say that no one but Puff would recover. So blunt, lol.

Would you prefer: Perhaps those of you who are complaining are not recovering optimally. Would you mind posting some videos so we can see what you mean?
That was a very nice way to put it haha hey so tell me what you think of the 2.5 release because there were some changes from the one I played

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
That was a very nice way to put it haha hey so tell me what you think of the 2.5 release because there were some changes from the one I played

As for TL? He feels about as good as he did to me when I started playing him. But I started playing him with my 2.5 glasses on rather than in 2.1. Daze would be able to provide better input than I as to how he feels about TL's changes.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Yeah. Okami started playing TL about when the changes were made, so he didn't really experience a lot of TL 2.1.

As to how I personally feel about the changes, I think they were the best decision to take TL in terms of a direction for design. Less spammy and more reward for engaging in close range combat. He basically got the 2.1 -> 2.5 Pit treatment. Personally, I'm surprisingly still getting used to adjusting to the changes. I played 2.1 Toon Link a lot, which meant that I developed a lot of my muscle memory learning how to spam and where to spam, and how to net kills out of spamming. With 2.5 TL, you can't really do that as easily with nearly as much success, so adjusting my playstyle and learning the dynamics of comboing to the fullest potential using a variety of TL's moves is still a fun learning experience! :)

It's honestly not that much different, but in the grand scheme of things, the playstyle change adds up. Seems like a lot more people enjoy 2.5 TL, so I'm very happy about the changes overall :)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I can say that I enjoy the games better because I get better results for not using projectiles and being all, "hurr im yakal time to play homo get your bug spray boys and set up your tent cuz we're going camping hurr"

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Well, we'll see how TL does in tourneys and how good that recovery actually is...
I personally feel it makes him a much less accessible character.

No, unfortunately I cannot post any videos. If I could, I would, but at this point I can't spring any money for a recording device, nor do I know anyone that lives near me that plays PM that has one.

Jolteon

BRLNK88: I think you are correct in saying that needint to learn learn how to AGT makes TL a less accessible character, but it's really rewarding to learn and find applications because of that. :) I feel the same way steve does, it's these unique character traits that really set apart how a character feels and defines their playstyle, and imo TL is a very unique character in PM.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I don't deny he's a unique character, its one of the things I like about him.
Clearly me alone isn't enough to change anything, that's why I'm waiting to see what he looks like in major tourneys, and how players with full command and control of the character fare.
How many Toon players will be at Apex? I'm assuming there's gonna be a big PM tourney as well.

Jolteon

That makes sense to me.

Okami's been winning a few tournaments over in AZ with TL, but yeah let's see what happens at majors. :p

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I don't deny he's a unique character, its one of the things I like about him.
Clearly me alone isn't enough to change anything, that's why I'm waiting to see what he looks like in major tourneys, and how players with full command and control of the character fare.
How many Toon players will be at Apex? I'm assuming there's gonna be a big PM tourney as well.
16-man invitational.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Lol what? I wasn't ever the best TL in the first place lol. I was probably the most well-known TL though. IDC who's the best, I just want TL's metagame to grow :p

I'm just mean to okami cuz we homies

edit: GET outta here, shadic. You don't even use this character, or either of the Link's in tournament lol.

You don't even know how to recover with your own character js ;b

Top Bottom